Menu

How do the other half live??

Moxie

I was just reading an article about William and Kate visiting the US and staying at the $14,000 PER NIGHT Carlyle Hotel in NY (this isn't a thread about the royals).  I honestly did not know that there were hotels that were that expensive.  My nice, used minivan cost less!  So, just out of curiosity, what does one get for 14K a night??  Lots of mints on the pillow, I imagine!!

I have no idea, but I'm guessing the hotels cater to people who want a high security environment where members of the press/paparazzi cannot bribe their way in.  You have to pay the staff a lot, from check-in down to cleaning staff, to convince them that silence  and maintaining their jobs is worth more than leaking information on what state the royals leave their bathroom in.  lol. 

I don't know. Champagne, chocolate covered strawberries...I wonder though if some of the cost is to cover extra staffing and security. In order to have members of the royal family stay there, they'd not only have A LOT of extra people coming in to stay as well due the media frenzy, but also accommodating their significant security presence as well as the hotel itself needing to enhance their own security at their own cost.

I could see charging that much. How many extra cooks, extra doormen, extra housekeeping, extra security officers...it costs NYC a lot of money in terms of police presence and what not when they have dignitaries in town and except for Washington D.C., they get more than their fair share of them too. So, I'm thinking it's a good thing that at least the tax on that is a little bit in the city and state coffers to help offset the cost.

I do think the hotel is making money for certain. But, I think there are some large, hidden costs, that go with their stay which are being covered by that large bill.

I'll bet they get primo housekeeping services for that, and possibly room service menu choices that the rest of us would not have!

My guess is that a lot of that money is going towards "discretion" - keeping the press away, making sure the maid service doesn't pester them for autographs, that sort of thing. A good portion of the rest, I imagine, is going for "service" - if they call up in the middle of the night asking for some expensive delicacy that the hotel doesn't stock, the hotel will source it and get it for them. If they decide they want their sheets to be pink instead of red, the hotel goes out and buys new sheets. That sort of thing.

I visited a friend in a hotel where the ceiling was almost as high as the one in my school gym. She handed me a bathrobe with a bow on it and said "Give this to your mom, I don't need another". The thing probably would have sold for $150 and they just expect the guests to take it. I also have a distant relative who's house cost nearly $20,000,000. He had a gym in his basement. Like, a huge gym with a full basketball court, racquetball court and indoor pool.

Also, if the hotel has 100 rooms, and the royals are in town, they may very well rent all 100, even though only ten are acutally going to be used, just to ensure greater privacy, so they would need to pay for the loss for the hotel.  Just a guess.

I think this is right.  The other stuff mentioned, too, of course (the security etc.); but I just checked availability for one night in the middle of next week, and the website offered me a standard room for about $700/night.  I didn't see any info on fancier rooms.

Let's remember this isn't the other "half". This a very teeny percentage of the world's population and still also a tiny sliver of the population of the western world.

Still, I believe the royal family presently earns more for the UK than they spend? Kind of hard to believe but then I am not a royal watcher.

My friend's dad once stayed at a classy hotel in the presidential suite. It was complicated, but they got it for free because of their relationship with the hotel and the hotel's mess up. This was 15 years ago and it was $5K/night in a very swanky LA area. The dalai lama had stayed there recently, as had Clinton.

(My friend is on the board and may post more...)

There was a "help" kitchen, a grand piano, multiple spa bathrooms, full maid service (they did things like unpack your suitcase into the closet). They had a card to operate the elevator with and there were snacks for their floor. Everything was white and beautiful. There was an outdoor deck and you had an amazing view.

I later stayed at a more normal room in the hotel and we had a bathroom that was about 200 sq feet, so the whole place was amazing. I felt guilty for parking our Ford van with the valet. They gave us flowers and apples when we checked in.

I have stayed in NY hotels for work in the past.  The ones my company would pay for (probably a little above average) were about the size of a closet and cost over $1,000 per night.  It always made me glad to be living in the midwest, where I can buy a whole house for cheaper than you can buy a closet in NYC.  :P

Don't hold it against them.  They might even be in modest accommodations but need enough space for themselves and their assistants.

Not that it's wrong to go for luxury, but I wouldn't choose NYC to do that.

Here's a semi related funny for you.  

I used to travel a lot for work in Vermont about 10 years ago.  There was a hotel across the street from the capital building in Montpelier, VT that I always stayed at.  I would never make reservations because they were never full.  One time there was a blizzard and coincidentally a bunch of Southern Baptists were in town to protest Vermont legalizing civil unions.  I had no where else to go because I couldn't get out of town and they told me they had no rooms left except "the presidential suite."  Apparently, they had it in case the President of the United States ever had to go the capital of Vermont.  :lol:

Anyway---it was $250 a night and I had no other choice so I took it.  I spent 3 days in that room because of the storm.  It was about twice the size of one of their regular rooms, but it did have a Jacuzzi.  Yep, that's what you get if you are the POTUS staying in the Green Mountain state.  I guess that's why Kate and William chose NY instead of VT. ;)

We once got a $1000/night room at a Vegas hotel with a jacuzzi in the sitting room and a double balcony with a view because they gave away our reserved room and we had a confirmation number. We only paid $39/night though. ;)

Have any of your read _How the Other Half Lives_? I recently did and it was completely fascinating in so many ways. The combination of racist and progressive attitudes in the author made it even more so.

This is only tangentially related, but the title reminded me of it and the book is set in New York City so maybe I'm not too far off.

Have you all seen this?

http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com

And as an argument against the poster in favor of hating all reality shows equally from another thread (;)), I offer this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-dorothy-wang-cast-rich-kids-beverly-hills-2014-11

I have no issue with people being wealthy but that made my stomach turn a bit. There are still starving people in the world!

I read that they were hosting a $50,000 per couple charity dinner. I cannot comprehend spending that much on a dinner for any reason. If I had billions and wanted to donate to charity, I'd just do it rather than paying to meet someone.

For the people that attend those kinds of functions, it isn't about the charity. It is about the political and business connections you form or reaffirm while you are at the event. It is the good ole boy network in action.

Stefanie

Not sure how helpful this is but roughly twenty years ago I was a travel agent. Our best trip ever was booked very last minute and included a stay in a good London hotel. Dh and I arrived in jeans carring backpacks to stay in our Ă‚Â£20 a night room, basic room at that hotel at that time Ă‚Â£100. We knew we were going to look a bit rough for that hotel but had not wanted to carry extra and expected to be OK on a tourist type floor.

We were shocked to discover we had been given a room on the VIP floor. We had a small room for that floor, twice the size of a normal London room in our Ă‚Â£800 a night room but we had extras. Guard by the private elevator, fresh lacy linens on the floor each night, new big fruit basket each day, really nice shampoos etc. The service was invisible, tray of tea and rolls with newspaper mornings. It was really lovely but very uncomfortable because we were so very underdressed.

We also stayed in a room that Michael Jackson supposedly used when in London on a different trip. That one was just big. Odd loft area. No special amenities came with the travel agent rate at least. Room slept several people, with a couple bathrooms. Can't remember what the proper cost was for that one. Calling it a room because open floor plan with areas. It was by itself at the end of a corridor.....probably easy security wise.

I loved travel agent rates but sometimes we also got the room the hadn't been decorated since the 1950's so don't be too envious. There were some real clunkers too......

I'm pretty sure that when you pay 14k a night, it's not actually for a hotel room, but for what most of us would consider a small mansion with a full staff. ;)  My new-to-me vehicle cost less than that, too.  

Have you all seen this? 

http://richkidsofinstagram.tumblr.com

And as an argument against the poster in favor of hating all reality shows equally from another thread ( ;)), I offer this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-dorothy-wang-cast-rich-kids-beverly-hills-2014-11

Whenever I feel a bit sad that we're never going to get out of the middle class with dh's job and that I won't be able to travel the world and all that stuff, I spend a few minutes on RKoI and feel much, much better.  How the parents let the kids become like that, I will never understand.  And it's not the wealth that bugs me, but the disgusting wastefulness and the way they flaunt it and joke about poor people.  

For many years I worked in the only hotel in Portland secure enough for the president to stay at. You really do have to pay people enough not to tell their stories, lol. I made $39 an hour at my blue collar job there, and even the maids make $14 an hour and get health insurance for their whole family. If you want a secure hotel, you must pay for good staff.

I spent one year of my life (10th grade) in a private school with kids who were offspring of very wealthy folks.  The things they considered normal boggled my mind and opened my eyes considerably.  The very first day of school, when they were sharing about their summer, I learned that one student's sister had gotten married.  For her ceremony they rented a HUGE cruise ship to Europe for all of their guests.  The wedding couple got helicoptered off to a private island for their honeymoon.  The rest of the guests got chartered flights back to their homes afterward.

I thought about that years later at our simple church wedding with the reception in the rec room.  ;)

But you know what?  Many of my peers were awesome that year.  As we got to know each other I was asked once how much my dad made.  I truthfully told them 18K/year (my dad didn't hide finances - I was at the school on full scholarship).  One fellow student's jaw dropped as he marveled that they had a painting in his living room that cost more than that.  But afterward?  I rarely paid for a thing.  At this school there was no cafeteria for high school kids, so kids brought their own, ordered in, or went out to eat.  When we did the latter two (usually on Fridays), I never had to pay anything.  I also got to see some fabulous houses - but never once brought a friend to my (Grandma's) house.

These kids have no concept that money can ever be an issue, but in other aspects, they are typical teens just like the rest of us.

I will say, there were absolutely NO behavior issues at this school.  If there had been, junior would have been kicked out.  (This is spelled out when one is admitted.) The worst behavior issue I encountered was in Bio class when some boys wouldn't be quiet at the start.  The teacher just stopped the class and told us we obviously knew all the material already so would have our chapter test the next day.  We had just started the chapter the day before!  But no one complained to mom/dad/school officials - we just went home and studied!  The next day we took the test.  Afterward there were no issues.

I suspect I was the "we help the poor" token at the school (but I know my Grandma might have pulled some strings to be honest as she knew many people from her church - she worked in the thrift shop several days a week).  I don't know of any others without significant $$ there.  They allowed up to 100 people per class (year).  Data I saw from their parent flyer said that of the 100 in a previous graduating class, 98 went on to college.  One went directly into Dad's business.  One was training for a foreign Olympic team.

I could (and did) certainly hold my own academically, but it was definitely a whole different world.  But I'll admit to loving that school...  I only had the one year there as my dad and I moved to FL to help my grandmother after grandpa passed away.  After that year, we returned to NY - still a terrific school academically, but not really the same otherwise.

14K a night for a hotel room?  It wouldn't have been an issue at all to many of them if they wanted it.  It would have been expected in some cases.  Price just really never was a factor.  Even at the "club" restaurant we went to once in a while, prices weren't even on the menu - at least - not mine.

I agree a lot of the hotel bill is probably a large staff on call at a moment's notice. I've witnessed wealth working in opera you'd see it at performances of some of the companies, one in particular that involved a tradition of picnic on the lawn, money was definitely on show in all the champagne, decadent food, clothing and cars. I also worked for a short time at the shop of a small designer in London, nothing was less than Ă‚Â£1000 and it was a daily event to have women come in and buy what I would consider a wardrobes worth of items at that price. We were opposite a big hotel too so it often involved taking the parcels over to the concierge to have them put in the room or alternatively have them delivered somewhere else in the world. 

My friend went to a school like that in NY (LI) but it must not have been the same school as they had boarders so there was definitely a cafeteria.  He was yanked out of my boarding school overseas and put there.  He hated it, but mostly because he loved the school I went to so much.  He almost did get kicked out and tried very hard to get kicked out.  But they a lot of compassion and worked with him a great deal.

Dawn

I spent one year of my life (10th grade) in a private school with kids who were offspring of very wealthy folks.  The things they considered normal boggled my mind and opened my eyes considerably.  The very first day of school, when they were sharing about their summer, I learned that one student's sister had gotten married.  For her ceremony they rented a HUGE cruise ship to Europe for all of their guests.  The wedding couple got helicoptered off to a private island for their honeymoon.  The rest of the guests got chartered flights back to their homes afterward.

I thought about that years later at our simple church wedding with the reception in the rec room.  ;)

But you know what?  Many of my peers were awesome that year.  As we got to know each other I was asked once how much my dad made.  I truthfully told them 18K/year (my dad didn't hide finances - I was at the school on full scholarship).  One fellow student's jaw dropped as he marveled that they had a painting in his living room that cost more than that.  But afterward?  I rarely paid for a thing.  At this school there was no cafeteria for high school kids, so kids brought their own, ordered in, or went out to eat.  When we did the latter two (usually on Fridays), I never had to pay anything.  I also got to see some fabulous houses - but never once brought a friend to my (Grandma's) house.

These kids have no concept that money can ever be an issue, but in other aspects, they are typical teens just like the rest of us.

I will say, there were absolutely NO behavior issues at this school.  If there had been, junior would have been kicked out.  (This is spelled out when one is admitted.) The worst behavior issue I encountered was in Bio class when some boys wouldn't be quiet at the start.  The teacher just stopped the class and told us we obviously knew all the material already so would have our chapter test the next day.  We had just started the chapter the day before!  But no one complained to mom/dad/school officials - we just went home and studied!  The next day we took the test.  Afterward there were no issues.

I suspect I was the "we help the poor" token at the school (but I know my Grandma might have pulled some strings to be honest as she knew many people from her church - she worked in the thrift shop several days a week).  I don't know of any others without significant $$ there.  They allowed up to 100 people per class (year).  Data I saw from their parent flyer said that of the 100 in a previous graduating class, 98 went on to college.  One went directly into Dad's business.  One was training for a foreign Olympic team.

I could (and did) certainly hold my own academically, but it was definitely a whole different world.  But I'll admit to loving that school...  I only had the one year there as my dad and I moved to FL to help my grandmother after grandpa passed away.  After that year, we returned to NY - still a terrific school academically, but not really the same otherwise.

14K a night for a hotel room?  It wouldn't have been an issue at all to many of them if they wanted it.  It would have been expected in some cases.  Price just really never was a factor.  Even at the "club" restaurant we went to once in a while, prices weren't even on the menu - at least - not mine.

My friend went to a school like that in NY (LI) but it must not have been the same school as they had boarders so there was definitely a cafeteria.  He was yanked out of my boarding school overseas and put there.  He hated it, but mostly because he loved the school I went to so much.  He almost did get kicked out and tried very hard to get kicked out.  But they a lot of compassion and worked with him a great deal.

Dawn

The school I went to was in southern FL, in one of the wealthiest cities in the US - or at least - it was at the time.  There were no boarders.  I went to/from school on the school bus, but that was extra cost.  Even so, the school bus went into several wealthy neighborhoods (the ocean front homes).  Other kids had parents - or family staff - who picked them up and dropped them off.  There was never a clunker in the lineup, except when my grandma would pick me up.  ;)

I think they spelled out the behavior deal at the beginning so parents wouldn't think they could buy their youngster out of issues they might have.  It likely appealed to a certain group and others knew to go elsewhere.  We had some foreign kids in the class too - children of diplomats and foreign high level business folks in the area.  I remember being impressed that one gal in my class already knew 4 languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French and English).  Spanish was her native language.  She was taking French with me.  The other two she picked up from living in countries that spoke them (US and Brazil), but she'd had English in classes in other countries too.  Her dad was one of the diplomats.

Ah, I misunderstood.  I thought it was in NY.

The school I went to was in southern FL, in one of the wealthiest cities in the US - or at least - it was at the time.  There were no boarders.  I went to/from school on the school bus, but that was extra cost.  Even so, the school bus went into several wealthy neighborhoods (the ocean front homes).  Other kids had parents - or family staff - who picked them up and dropped them off.  There was never a clunker in the lineup, except when my grandma would pick me up.   ;)

I think they spelled out the behavior deal at the beginning so parents wouldn't think they could buy their youngster out of issues they might have.  It likely appealed to a certain group and others knew to go elsewhere.  We had some foreign kids in the class too - children of diplomats and foreign high level business folks in the area.  I remember being impressed that one gal in my class already knew 4 languages (Spanish, Portuguese, French and English).  Spanish was her native language.  She was taking French with me.  The other two she picked up from living in countries that spoke them (US and Brazil), but she'd had English in classes in other countries too.  Her dad was one of the diplomats.

Ah, I misunderstood.  I thought it was in NY.

Gotcha.  I'm from northern NY and mostly went to a great ps.  For my 10th grade year Dad and I (parents were divorced by then) went to FL to help my grandma after grandpa's death.  My dad didn't like the public schools in FL - thus - I ended up going to a private school grandma knew about.  I had to test to get into it, but evidently passed.  ;)

I was told about our finances, etc, and that I better NOT mess up at the school...

For the people that attend those kinds of functions, it isn't about the charity. It is about the political and business connections you form or reaffirm while you are at the event. It is the good ole boy network in action.

Stefanie

Actually, for a lot of people it is about the charity. The dinner is just a "perk" that goes along with it. 

This summer, when we were at the piano store purchasing our used Baldwin for $3000, I played scales on a $105,000 Bosendorfer piano in the showroom. I asked the salesman what made it so special. He told me, but I just can't imagine paying that much for an instrument!

Still, I believe the royal family presently earns more for the UK than they spend? Kind of hard to believe but then I am not a royal watcher.

Well, yes, if you count the production on all the properties they own--properties which some would argue ought to be managed by the public. Still, at least they are bringing in. It's true that here in the US lots of people have huge properties, in part ill-gotten from the natives, and they cheat their way out of taxes and it's beyond irritating.

Rich kids of Instagram ample evidence that Warren Buffet is right, totally right, and too much money does horrible things to kids.

I don't think too much money does horrible things to most wealthy kids. In my experience, only a very small minority of kids from wealthy families are showy and obnoxious about it.

I think the parents' influence is what leads some kids to want to be very conspicuous and leads others to never even think of drawing attention to themselves. The families I know would be mortified if their kids ever appeared on Rich Kids of Instagram. (Well, OK, I know one family who would be proud, but they are extremely showy people and I'm pretty sure most people find them to be incredibly irritating!)

I don't think too much money does horrible things to most wealthy kids. In my experience, only a very small minority of kids from wealthy families are showy and obnoxious about it.

I think the parents' influence is what leads some kids to want to be very conspicuous and leads others to never even think of drawing attention to themselves. The families I know would be mortified if their kids ever appeared on Rich Kids of Instagram. (Well, OK, I know one family who would be proud, but they are extremely showy people and I'm pretty sure most people find them to be incredibly irritating!)

Yes, but most wealthy kids *don't* have access to the type of money needed for the sorts of hot messes posted on that Instagram. I know a lot of very wealthy families, living in the land of the Microsoft millionaires- most just don't give their kids that much to spend. They would think it was inappropriate or wasteful. That's what I meant by too much- too much to spend.

Their family having a lot of money isn't the problem- it's a mix of too much money *available to them to spend* paired with too few productive expectations and in some cases too little supervision.

Warren Buffet's kids grew up wealthier than most of those kids on that page but he didn't create the circumstances for them to be hurt by it like that.

Same here.  I can't think of any at the school I went to.  They were normal kids - without a spending limit that I could see.  If they had one, they even kept that to themselves.  They weren't showy about it or elitist (with me) - at least - not in 10th grade.  Since no one was really on the internet at that time (no FB, etc) and I was there for just one school year, I never kept up with any of them to know what they are doing now.

Perhaps the showy types wouldn't have done well at that school?

Why is it that it is gauche to comment on a person's status if they don't own much, but it is okay to spout whatever you want about the wealthy.  Saying that anyone's expenditures are "stomach turning" or "not about the charity" without knowing the person or their motives is just judgmental.  Saying that the kids of a certain class are have had "horrible things" done to them (and implying that they, in turn, act horrible) is just as bad as assuming that all people of low income are uneducated or criminals.

Different doesn't equal bad.  So they live differently?  So what?  

When I was in college in Atlanta, I worked at a very expensive womens' clothing store. My best client was a Saudi Prince's very beautiful and nice wife, who would come in once or twice a year when she was in town, spend 30 minutes in the shop and would spend about $10,000. Then she would ask me to pick out the accessories like belts, earrings, and purses (an extra $5,000), and deliver it to her house. Yes, I got paid on commission. :)

I was never jealous of her money or lifestyle because I saw pictures of her husband in the newspaper and he was :ack2:

Why is it that it is gauche to comment on a person's status if they don't own much, but it is okay to spout whatever you want about the wealthy.  Saying that anyone's expenditures are "stomach turning" or "not about the charity" without knowing the person or their motives is just judgmental.  Saying that the kids of a certain class are have had "horrible things" done to them (and implying that they, in turn, act horrible) is just as bad as assuming that all people of low income are uneducated or criminals.

Different doesn't equal bad.  So they live differently?  So what?  

As far as the teens who make it onto RKoI, they DO act like jerks.  Most of their captions are "don't you wish you were me?" types of things, pictures of receipts bragging about how much money they spent, insults about "poors," etc.  It IS stomach-turning.  If I was wealthy and saw on instagram a pic of my kid sitting on a Bentley eating fast food with the caption, "Bitch, we know guac is extra #sundayshenanigans by teopulice," she would be in serious trouble.  

Saying that the kids of a certain class are have had "horrible things" done to them (and implying that they, in turn, act horrible) is just as bad as assuming that all people of low income are uneducated or criminals.

I am sorry, but one doesn't need to condone underage drinking, drug use or crass over consumption paired with nastiness towards "poors" under the guise of accepting that other people live differently. Have you seen the specific site that prompted my specific remarks? Some of the posts show teens paying $50k bar tabs or explicit drug use. My remarks were not directed towards all wealthy kids. I don't have a problem with wealthy people (I'd have made a crappy fundraiser if I did, lol and that was not the case at all), I do have a problem with idleness and crassness.

I think we can all agree that people of all income levels can spoil their children. I've known a few kids like that and honestly, I feel sorry for them. Warren Buffet, one of the wealthiest men in the world, has a lot to say on this topic of young people with nothing important to do, just spending hand over fist.

I was just reading an article about William and Kate visiting the US and staying at the $14,000 PER NIGHT Carlyle Hotel in NY (this isn't a thread about the royals).  I honestly did not know that there were hotels that were that expensive.  My nice, used minivan cost less!  So, just out of curiosity, what does one get for 14K a night??  Lots of mints on the pillow, I imagine!!

I was thinking that the hotel waived the $14K/night rate just for the publicity it gained from having some of the most high profile visitors staying there. I am pretty sure that all the paparazzi, TV camera, iPhones videos from crazed fans bought the hotel more positive publicity than any that their own marketing dollars could buy. Their "exclusivity" went sky high. So, giving away a floor or even 100 rooms for 4 nights is eminently worth it for them. We might never hear about the monetary transactions because of the privacy. And anyway, I thought that the british govt (taxpayers) always paid for the lifestyle of the royals. So, the British Embassy could have been billed for the stay too.

Anyway, I always thought that these hotels were meant for A list movie stars, superstar pop stars, Arab Billionaires, Chinese Billionaires, Silicon Valley Billionaires, Hedge Fund Billionaires etc. and not for people on monthly salaries.

And anyway, I thought that the british govt (taxpayers) always paid for the lifestyle of the royals.

It's a little more complicated than that.  As far as I can see, William has/had a salary as an air ambulance pilot (USD 60K) - not sure how current that is.  He also receives money (I've seen USD 1.5 million) from his father's income from Charles' estates - privately held, so your attitude to that depends on how you feel about hereditary wealth.  

There is also the Sovereign Grant, payable to the Queen for duties carried out by Elizabeth and her family, travel expenses, and support of the palaces. I'm not sure whether William receives part of that.  I believe that the Sovereign Grant is less than the income from Crown lands voluntarily ceded to the country in the 19th Century by the then monarch.  Again - your feeling about that depends on whether you think that property (often seized over the centuries) should be inherited.

It should be remembered that some of the royal expenses are the equivalent of the ceremonial expenses incurred by the US president, running expenses for the White House, etc. - we just have a division between ceremonial and political roles, freeing the Prime Minister from some of the flummery.

I just looked it up. Last year's operating budget for Queen Elizabeth and company was $55.2 million (US dollars).

The president's was $1.4 billion and that did not include his policy operations office, just those expenses directly related to his family.

BILLION??!!?? Wow!