Dried beans

Rice

Chicken drumsticks or thighs (sale?)

Canned tuna

Frozen vegetables

Oatmeal

Eggs

Peanut butter

I am assuming a pantry that has basic herbs and spices, condiments like vinegar and mayonnaise and mustard. What I might suggest based on not knowing any weekly specials. Also, my family is gluten free, so I don't think about lunch the way others would.

Among meals I'd make

Cuban black beans and rice -- maybe with a tiny bit of sausage added

Refried beans and Spanish rice

Something with lentils

Beans for protein, as many ways as I could think of.

Buy in bulk for best results.

Costco has large (10 or 25, I forget which) sacks of pintos.  Cook those into refritos and make your own tortillas to go with them from Masa Harina.

Make black bean soup.

White bean soup.

Many bean soup.

Buy or make baked beans.

The thing about those suggestions is that they are all cheap, and they taste quite different from each other, eliminating the usual horrendous boredom of eating frugally.

See if you can grow tomatoes--they have BOTH A and C vitamins, and are great substitutes for fruit and veggie nutrition.  Plus they are pretty easy to grow.  Sweet 100s and Beefsteaks are a great combo.

Chicken- whole -and/ or a pack of thighs

Hamburger

Small pork loin ( they are on sale here)

I'd also check in the fish deptarment to see if there are sales

2 dozen eggs

Jar nut butter

5 lb bag of carrots

Celery

Cabbage

Onions

Couple of can of beans or dried ones

Small corn tortillas

Rice

Some frozen veggies -Spinach for a frittata, and butternut squash for a soup. Thinking of using some of the hamburger for a minestrone. Corn

1 or 2 large cans of light tuna

Whole wheat bread

Cheerios or oatmeal

Can stewed tomatoes large, or two small

Do you have any food already stocked? Does it have to be portable? Are there any other options for feeding your family if the money *doesn't* stretch (free summer food for kids, foraging, food pantry, friendly neighbors who have regular weekend barbecues)?

It's a doable budget, but it's more doable if you already have beans and flour and rice, y'know? (Do you need sample recipes?)

Well, here's the deal; they eat a lot of chicken thighs, black beans and rice. They will definitely buy some chicken and they have beans and rice. They also have basic spices and things of that nature.

Dd isn't big with chicken on the bone. I know that costs them, but boneless, skinless thighs are pretty cheap. Maybe I could talk her into bone-in thighs and they could use the bones for a broth or something to make soup with.

I love the whole pork loin idea (I do this) and they are going to Sam's for meat so I know they can get a deal on a pork loin.

They were also thinking a big pack of ground beef or turkey for spaghetti, meat patties, meatloaf, meatballs.

They don't eat a lot of carbs other than rice and beans, so the meats with some frozen veggies will actually work well. I'll definitely tell her to add the longer lasting fresh veggies.

They drink a lot of water, but the kids will need almond milk. They are young and recently weaned so they both like at least one cup of milk a day. 

Forgot to add that they do eat eggs almost every morning, so they'll get eggs, and I'll mention peanut or almond butter for sandwiches, though they don't usually eat sandwiches. It'll be something they might need to do right now.

Also, the kids like cheap fruit (apples and bananas) and they DO have blueberries from their bushes.

Breakfast:

Oatmeal

Cream of brown rice

Eggs..corn tortillas with scrambled eggs is yummy

Lunch and dinner:

Pork sandwiches made with cheap cuts

Chili and corn bread

Bbq, thai, and teriyaki chicken with cheap cuts

Tacos

Potatoes for mashing, baking, oven fries...stretching eggs

If she cuts the chicken from the cooked whole or thighs before serving, child never has to see the bones.

Since she has beans and rice and others items, I'd replace them on my list with some apples. Or whatever is in season where she is. She should also look around fro

Folks with gardens. Everyone here is trying to give zucchini away. Grated into muffins, or chopped finely into a minestrone, nobody ever need know.

Look for a bread outlet. I get 3 loaves of name brand whole wheat bread for $2.97 (same price for buns of all kinds, bagels, cinnamon raisin bread, etc). I keep it in the freezer so it would last a while. You could use this for sandwiches, toast, French toast, or as fresh bread crumbs to make the meatballs and meatloaf, stuffing/dressing as a side dish, or a strata with eggs and veggies.

This free pdf of the Good and Cheap cookbook was recently mentioned on NPR and has some great sounding recipes that aren't run of the mill. http://www.leannebrown.ca/cookbooks/ It was designed to help folks on food stamps eat well on their $4 a person a day.

Looking at your list of foods that use ground beef. Meatballs and hamburgers are relatively expensive since they use a lot of meat. I'd use about 1/2 lb mixed with a can of black beans for tacos. (We use 1 lb with a can of black beans to feed, essentially, 4 adults and 1 child) Another 1/2 lb for the spaghetti sauce but pre-mix it with the cooked pasta--it will stretch more that way. Maybe another 1/2 lb for hamburger soup--essentially veg soup w/ground beef. I like to stretch mine with shredded cabbage. Rice is cheap and a good filler. Baked potatoes topped with leftover chicken and bbq sauce and maybe cheese is delicious.

and 4 people to feed, what would you purchase to get the most bang for your buck?? What types of meals would you be cooking to stretch this?

2 adults and 2 littles 

Eggs & Oatmeal in the AM.

Tuna, Eggs, Beans, Brown Rice, etc for lunch with veggies (in season)

Chicken (Wholes are usually the best cost and made into broth) for supper with Brown Rice and Veggies for supper.

In season fruit for snack.

Water to drink - no other beverage

Popcorn as snacks

Heavy on seasonal veggies and green leafies.

Brown rice - happy sigh.  I honestly think I could eat it three meals a day with anything and everything.

Cabbage, cabbage, cabbage.  I also LOVE cabbage and it's dirt cheap. 

Eggs are wonderful.

In season veggies right now are great for you.

Most people waste needless $$ on dairy.  It's not that awesome.  I will make an exception for yogurt or kefir.  But I will say that tends to be spendy.  If you do yogurt, go large container, plain, unsweetened, unflavored.

Compare frozen fruit to fresh in season fruit.  Right now I can get peaches for $0.79/lb.  That's cheap.  But normally I can buy blueberries, berries, etc. from the freezer cheaper and it goes in more things  -smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal.

Often cheaper isn't more filling.  Almonds and walnuts are expensive, but a handful of those or seeds goes a very long way nutrionally and it's filling.  Nut butters as well.

The easiest way to cook a whole bird is in the crockpot, plop it in with some seasoning and a little butter, ignore it for 8 or so hours depending on the size of the bird. If she has sensory issues, do you think her husband would be willing to pull it all off the bones?

We mix the shredded meat with rotel, beans and rice and have burrittos or tacos often, I keep the mix in the fridge and DS can make his tacos, and then slap it on a pn with butter or a little oil to toast the tortilla.

Egg salad is healthy and filling.

Last night we ate shredded chicken over baked potatoes, with pan gravy and a little sprinkle of cheese, super filling comfort food that costs very little.

Potatoes can be fixed for every meal.

Scrambled eggs, potatoes, a tiny bit of ham or sausage, and whatever else can be mixed up and used for breakfast tacos through the week.

Ground turkey is cheaper than beef and goes great in spaghetti or chili.

Chili is easy and you can stretch it by adding tons of beans, corn, tomatoes, etc.

I guess if she doesn't want to make a whole chicken, then there is no chance of her making a turkey? That is some good cheap eating! Compare the amount of tuna (yuck) to the size of turkey for the same amount of money, and there is no comparison to the amount of food you get. Cheap food that comes to mind:

beans and rice

pasta and sauce bought on sale, or get jarred tomatoes and make sauce, easy

PBJ's for kids lunches

oatmeal, large store brand carton

cheap fresh produce

grill chicken thighs and hamburger patties

3 meals a day?  First I would check what's on sale.  Prices listed are what I pay at Walmart or Kroger--generic, no organic or speciality anything

quick cook oatmeal $2
3 dozen eggs--I got eggs for .49/dozen yesterday... but that was a manager close out $4
chicken legs or thighs are almost always on sale here--$20 for 2 packages of each
2 gallons of milk if everyone else drinks it  $5.50
Bananas $3 worth
Grapes on sale this week .99/lb $2
Frozen veggies--big bags of any kind of veggies about $1.50--5 bags divided  $7.50 ten meals of veggies
Bread--$1 a loaf--our Dollar Tree carries Nature's Own, Sunbeam and sometimes Mrs Baird's $3
Peanut Butter-$4
Pasta--$3 5lbs of spaghetti
Make your own sauce--tomato sauce 6 cans $3.60
Beans $1
Rice $1
Potatoes $4
3lbs ground beef-$8-$10 
Tuna--.88/can  4 cans $3.50
Cheese $3
Yogurt $3
Juice--frozen juice 4 cans $4 Do her kids drink juice?
Snacks for kids crackers, etc Walmart has $1 snack items on the cookie/cracker aisle $2
Flour $2
Sugar $2
Butter $3
Cornmeal $2

If I added correctly $98

Ethnic supermarkets often have rice cheap in big bags, both Asian and Hispanic stores. Depending on the type of ethnic market, certain other foods are also cheaper, you have to wander down all the aisles and see.

The local Asian market has good prices on produce.

Well IDK what to say ;)  Milk is $2.68 a gallon at Kroger--that's not a sale price and eggs run between $1.25-$1.50 a dozen and you can buy in bulk and get 3 dozen for $4.  I bought chicken thighs this week at Kroger--4 packages and paid $5 of less for each package on sale.  Each package had 7-8 thighs in it. I guess I live in a moderately lower COL area.  Maybe I should stipulate that my prices are Walmart and Kroger in Texas?

3 meals a day?  First I would check what's on sale.  Prices listed are what I pay at Walmart or Kroger--generic, no organic or speciality anything

quick cook oatmeal $2

3 dozen eggs--I got eggs for .49/dozen yesterday... but that was a manager close out $4

chicken legs or thighs are almost always on sale here--$20 for 2 packages of each

2 gallons of milk if everyone else drinks it  $5.50

Bananas $3 worth

Grapes on sale this week .99/lb $2

Frozen veggies--big bags of any kind of veggies about $1.50--5 bags divided  $7.50 ten meals of veggies

Bread--$1 a loaf--our Dollar Tree carries Nature's Own, Sunbeam and sometimes Mrs Baird's $3

Peanut Butter-$4

Pasta--$3 5lbs of spaghetti

Make your own sauce--tomato sauce 6 cans $3.60

Beans $1

Rice $1

Potatoes $4

3lbs ground beef-$8-$10 

Tuna--.88/can  4 cans $3.50

Cheese $3

Yogurt $3

Juice--frozen juice 4 cans $4 Do her kids drink juice?

Snacks for kids crackers, etc Walmart has $1 snack items on the cookie/cracker aisle $2

Flour $2

Sugar $2

Butter $3

Cornmeal $2

If I added correctly $98

$5.50 for two gallons of milk? I wish that was the price here. It's $4.20 at the moment and has been as high as $4.50 a gallon.

Ground turkey can work well in things like soup, tacos, spaghetti sauce, etc in place of hamburger, and I usually find it to be a better deal. Yes, the Texas prices do look rather low compared to what I see around here for a number of things unless they are on a loss leader sale. 

$5.50 for two gallons of milk? I wish that was the price here. It's $4.20 at the moment and has been as high as $4.50 a gallon.

Our Kroger's milk prices are $2.68/gallon.  At least once a month they are on sale 2/$5

Walmart is higher and it's $3.32/gallon--I rarely buy milk there unless I don't want to make 2 stops.

I don't eat meat on a bone either, so I get it. 

I would buy (for $100 in our area, I could buy all of this, not huge quantities or organic, but enough to last for 10 days):

Serve one at each meal

rice

bag of potatoes

beans

box pancake mix

eggs

peanut butter

loaf of bread

jelly or jam

honey (if kids are old enough for honey) 

pasta sauce

box pasta 

ground turkey or beef 

frozen chicken breasts 

soft tortilla shells

cheese 

An Asian sauce or sauce mix (we like sweet & sour)

taco sauce

carrot chips

lettuce

frozen veggies

tea bags or coffee

lemons/limes

Meals: 

chicken and rice with Asian sauce veggies on the side (we shred the chicken and serve on top of the rice)

tacos with beans and rice

pasta with sauce and veggies on the side

peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with carrot chips

chicken and potatoes 

eggs and potatoes for breakfast (or dinner) 

If she has a blender make lemon lime slushies

blueberry pancakes (with fresh blueberries) 

snacks:

carrots

blueberries 

peanut butter and honey (ds practically lived on this during a certain stage of food issues)

KRG--where do you live? Those are UNHEARD OF grocery prices here. I would faint for joy if we could eat so inexpensively here.

If she already has rice and beans sufficient to resolve hunger, then I would add in things to make that more enjoyable:

lettuce

tomato

cheese

fresh peppers---green peppers are in season now and one (at .65 goes a long way to changing the flavor profile of a meal)

chicken--curry sauce (or ingredients to make it); chinese seasonings (teriyaki chicken, sweet and sour--all inexpensive to make)

frozen veggies:

broccoli (goes well with the chinese meals)

green beans

whatever they will eat

oatmeal

apples

peanut butter

bananas

carrots--the big 5# bag they peel themselves

eggs--4 to 6 dozen

potatoes

big bag of unpopped popcorn kernels

Everyone has their own list.  I think the key is sitting down and planning.it.out. At $100, you don't have much room to spare (although we do it fairly often with our family of 6). But you need to have a plan for every single meal.  The kids are going to be hungry and want snacks. Appetite fatigue is a big deal.  Plan variety. Plan a fun food splurge for Friday night, like a box of icecream or stuff to make cookies. It makes it easier to eat rice and beans repeatedly.

We go through 2 boxes of almond milk a week, using it sparingly. That's $6 right there. I'd plan around the must-haves, and then go from there. Beef is $5/lb. here for the cheap stuff. Beef wouldn't be on my list of stuff to buy.

KRG--where do you live? Those are UNHEARD OF grocery prices here. I would faint for joy if we could eat so inexpensively here.

I live in smallish town in  Texas.   I lived in Austin 4 years and dh travels to the DFW area on a regular basis so I am familiar with the grocery prices there and and we are by far cheaper than those areas. I about die when I walk into a grocery store in those areas now.   We have a superwalmart and a couple other grocery stores, no warehouse style shopping and no aldi or specialty shops.  Median income in low for the state--prices simply cannot be as high as some of you post because no one would able to buy anything.   I don't know of anyone that could afford $5/gallon milk--I think Borden and organic milk sells for that or more but it's not exactly flying off the shelves.  

Anyway I do still spend quite a bit on groceries and this thread has inspired me to really cut back.  I hope that OP's children are ok and that they will be able to get the food that they need!

A 2.5 cup container of almonds costs $5.79.  That yields enough to make 9 cups of milk based on the recipe.  For the same amount of ready made almond milk I priced it at $3.60 in my local store.  And I have not even taken into account the cost of the other ingredients listed.

It's surprising how different prices are in various regions. For me, almonds are less (3.5 cups for about $5.00 in bulk) and almond milk is more. You can also use the leftover meal for baking, oatmeal and whatnot. Lesson being, I guess, that you've got to price things out. 

Grocery prices vary by geography as well as individual tastes.  I'm in the fortunate position where I can buy seasonal produce directly from farmers for less than grocery store prices. Additionally, produce from the farm does not spoil like the grocery store stuff does.

For me, eating seasonally is budget smart. Granted, we may not always have our first choice this way.  Blueberry season has passed here for example; my farmer now has figs. My son heard my mantra growing up:  You get what you get.

I suggest looking at the Budget Bytes website.  There are some nice healthy recipes there that won't burst the budget.

If they go to Sam's, I would use $20 or so to buy 10 pounds of ground beef.  1 pound of ground beef per meal…..10 dinners.

I'd buy a big container peanut butter ($10) and hopefully they have jam or could make some.

Bread…two loves… $5, should cover sandwiches.

3 dozen eggs at Sam's is about 5 dollars..  Can make egg salad, use it for scrambled eggs, etc.  Eggs for dinner can e nice.

Pasta and canned tomato sauce.  Can get pasta for $1 box at a dollar store.  Canned tomato sauce, can either buy a case at Sam's for around $7 or buy 2 cans.  Use to make tomato sauce for spaghetti, and in other recipes.   Assume $10.

Buy a large container of drink mix, Kool-Aid, Tang, Crystal Light. $6.  Buy 3 gallons/milk at Sam's for about $10.

With the rest, buy fruits/veggies etc.  Can get a nice flat of peaches/nectarines right now at Sam's for $7.  Cherries here are $5 for 2 pounds at Sam's.   Bananas are always 3 pounds for $1.50 or so.

It's not the children that have a problem with the bones - it's my daughter. She probably has no idea how to even cook a whole bird, or chicken with bones.

Just saying I totally get this.  I get freaked even on boneless chicken.  A whole chicken?  Not only would I not know what to do with it, I wouldn't be able to look at it long enough to cook it.  If I had to do bones, I would rather go beans and rice.

Ok, umsami, I need to know where you live too. Our Sam's club carries beef at $3.50-4/lb when you buy the 10# chub.

Thanks for chiming back in KRG. I had been in DFW and Austin over spring break on my way south, and had gone to StuffMart and HEB and the prices there were only slightly less than they are here.

A 5# bag of flour makes 7 loaves of bread. If she can bake, it'd be cheaper to buy the eggs, oil, yeast, and flour than it would be to buy a few loaves of bread.

It really depends.

For me, if I have to do a short term frugal stint Due to unexpected costs I will look at what I have in the pantry or freezer, plan some meals around that and whatever is seasonal or on sale and only buy small quantities of what we need.

If I need to seriously cut the bills for a longer stint I will look at bulk buying cheaper foods, like rice, bread flour, beans etc.

The chicken is really good - a large roast chicken does two if not three meals - roast one night, wraps or sandwiches the next, and then soup. Adding red lentils to mince is a great stretcher though my kids won't eat it sadly. Then I look seasonal so I would be thinking apples and pumpkin for us as it's winter but in summer it would be whole watermelon. Toasted pumpkin seeds are a great snack. Also you can use a whole celery in soup not just the sticks.

Baking bread costs me around $1 loaf compared to $3 to buy plus being a larger loaf. Once you can bake bread you can learn to make scrolls etc with cinnamon or herbs for a cheaper gift to take around.

Pasta is a cheap alternative for lunches too.

Milk at Sam's is $3.20 here in FL.  If I buy a gallon of milk at Publix (normal grocery store), it's $4.and something, I think $4.20.  Costco I think is $3.19.

Might have been a little cheap on the current ground beef prices.  They have large packages with many pounds, for around $18.00.  I guess it's maybe 6 pounds vs. 10.  

I make a batch of chilli with 2 pounds ground beef. 1st meal is traditional chilli with cornbread muffins. 2nd meal, I cook elbow macaroni and serve the chilli and some parm on top for chilli mac. The 3rd night, I use the last of the chilli over baked potatoes with sour cream or cheese.

Another 4 day beef option is beef stew, Russian borscht, beef with gravy, steamed cabbage and carrots over baked potatoes, and chilli or chilli mac.

One of my favorite cheap meatless dishes is fried brown rice with an over easy egg, scallions and soy sauce on top! Yummy! And the kids love it too! Another is spaghetti with grape or cherry tomatoes, edamame or beans, and feta tossed in Italian dressing served warm.