Menu

Which Hitchcock movie would you watch first with your kids?

songsparrow

My 10 yo dd has asked about watching some Hitchcock movies.  It's been years since I've seen any, and I think I've only seen Rear Window and The Birds.  What would you recommend as a first movie to introduce Hitchcock to kids?  I'm thinking it should be something with a decent amount of action and a not-too-subtle plot line.  Feel free to also recommend what other Hitchcock movies we should follow up with, if she wants to!

When I saw the title from the main page, my immediate thought was, Rear Window.

**SPOILER ALERT** (Because I would offend someone), but when Perry Mason (lol, can't think of his name right now) looks up at Jimmy Stewart at that moment that he knows, you have to pick your feet up off the floor and put them on the sofa or chair. That way you'll be safe. 

You'll thank me later, lol. 

"Rear Window" is good…but I also love "How to Catch a Thief"…more fun.  Wonder about the sexuality of Grace Kelly, though.  A few scenes in both…not sure if for a 10 year old.

What about  starting with "The Lady Vanishes"? One of his earlier ones, but still wonderful.  

I also really really like "I Confess"…but then again, I have a thing for Montgomery Clift.  (Trivia fact for politico junkies…he was Eleanor Clift of "The McClaughlin Group's" brother in law.)

OK…I really like them all.  "Marnie" is a favorite that a lot of people haven't seen. (Has a young Sean Connery.)  "Rebecca" is great, plus you can tie it in with the book.  ANy of the Ingrid Bergman or Cary Grant ones…. too.  Anything with Grace Kelly, especially "Dial 'M' for Murder."

Be sure to tell him to look for the cameos. 

Oh yes, "The Trouble with Harry" is hilarious. :)

The first time I started watching it I got sucked in, but I was at my ils house and Sil turned the channel to watch a lifetime movie.  :huh:  

Marnie is about sexual frigidity and recovering memories of past sexual abuse, so I would pass that one up for a bit. 

I agree that Rear Window is a great first Hitchcock. Lots of plot. To Catch a Thief is fine too, but younger boys sometimes think it's too romantic. 

How about Shadow of a Doubt? Where the young girl wonders about her Uncle Charlie? I'm fond of The Lady Vanishes and Suspicion too. 

Marnie is about sexual frigidity and recovering memories of past sexual abuse, so I would pass that one up for a bit. 

I agree that Rear Window is a great first Hitchcock. Lots of plot. To Catch a Thief is fine too, but younger boys sometimes think it's too romantic. 

How about Shadow of a Doubt? Where the young girl wonders about her Uncle Charlie? I'm fond of The Lady Vanishes and Suspicion too. 

Thank you!  My children and I were discussing Hitchcock movies tonight, and I was just getting ready to go search for the name of Shadow of a Doubt!  My almost 16 yo son wants to watch Rope.  My 14 yo daughter said that Rear Window is her favorite.  It was probably her first one at around age 10-12 too.

I'd start with the Alfred Hitchcock Presents TV series from the 1950s. After that, here are some Hitchcock films that are pretty tame to start with (the last 2 are a bit more intense, with the stories revolving around murder):

The Lady Vanishes (1938) 

B&W. Fun sparks-fly-dialogue between Michael Redgrave and Margaret Lockwood, who are thrown together and must unravel the disappearance of a fellow traveler and intrigue/espionage, all while traveling across Europe on a train. (Although the "shoot out" scene right towards the end drags a bit, but otherwise, a LOT of fun!)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Color. Married couple Jimmy Stewart & Doris Day vacationing in Morocco get pulled by mistake into espionage and an assassination attempt.

North By Northwest (1959)

B&W. A bit similar to the above film -- a man unwittingly dragged into espionage and plotting, with the famous crop-duster scene. Parts of this one feel a bit long and drag. James Mason is a fabulous, sophisticated bad guy, and Eva Marie Saint gets "punished" for appearing "loose", before Cary Grant finally knows the truth and supports her.

Family Plot (1976)

Color. Lighthearted suspense, with a phony psychic/con artist and her taxi driver/PI boyfriend encountering kidnappers.

To Catch a Thief (1956)

Color. Reformed thief Cary Grant must uncover who stole Grace Kelly's jewelry to prove his own innocence.

The Trouble With Harry (1955)

Color. Goofy "black humor" -- the trouble with Harry is that he is dead, and everyone has conflicting ideas of what to do with the body. Not so much like traditional Hitchcock.

Dial M for Murder (1954)

Color. If your 10yo can handle murder, this is a great one -- the original "criss-cross" murder plot, with innocent Grace Kelly being set up to take the fall.

Rear Window (1954)

Color. Outstanding; probably the best of all his films. A lot of Innuendo, but it will likely go over young heads. Warning: a little dog dies, too, if you have a child sensitive to things happening to animals.

I'd wait a few years for Vertigo, Psycho, and The Birds which are all great, but more psychological or disturbing. Marnie is odd and disturbing (see previous poster's comments).

Rebecca is good, but a very non-traditional Hitchcock type of film -- more like a gothic novel.

And while I love Notorious, it has an ishy element to it for me -- the US government asks Ingrid Bergman who is known to be "loose" (i.e. "notorious") to get into a relationship with Claude Rains to spy on him -- and, by the way, to "prove her loyalty" to make up for her father's pro-Nazi spying (blech!). Cary Grant is her contact and is just brutal to her (double blech!!), until the end after she's been "punished".

And then Spellbound has Ingrid Bergman as a psychiatrist whose professional judgment is called into question because she falls for fellow psychiatrist Gregory Peck -- oh pu-leese! -- But there is the interesting Salvador Dali set design for the dream sequence...

Is she wanting a typical Hitchcock suspense? Or just a light intro to his films? Both To Catch a Thief and Mr. And Mrs. Smith are pretty benign and fun. But, if you are looking for something more typical of his films, I agree with others that Rear Window is a good choice.

I've been wanting to watch Rear Window with my kids, the Hitchcock version, then watch the remake with Christopher Reeve (post-accident) in the male role. It really was well-done, I thought. Plus it has the distinction of having a quadriplegic in the main male role of a film-that has to be unique!!

OK…I really like them all.  "Marnie" is a favorite that a lot of people haven't seen. (Has a young Sean Connery.)  "Rebecca" is great, plus you can tie it in with the book.  ANy of the Ingrid Bergman or Cary Grant ones…. too.  Anything with Grace Kelly, especially "Dial 'M' for Murder."

Be sure to tell him to look for the cameos. 

I LOVED Marnie!  I just recently watched the Birds with DD and DH.  Neither had ever seen any Hitchcock movies!  I introduced them to Hitchcock with The Birds because one day while we were watching the flock of swallows (we have 11 swallow houses) blanketing the sky, I mentioned it was almost like the movie, The Birds.  Both of them immediately asked me about the movie.  Therefore, I ordered it from Netflix.

I'd start with the Alfred Hitchcock Presents TV series from the 1950s. After that, here are some Hitchcock films that are pretty tame to start with (the last 2 are a bit more intense, with the stories revolving around murder):

The Lady Vanishes (1938) 

B&W. Fun sparks-fly-dialogue between Michael Redgrave and Margaret Lockwood, who are thrown together and must unravel the disappearance of a fellow traveler and intrigue/espionage, all while traveling across Europe on a train. (Although the "shoot out" scene right towards the end drags a bit, but otherwise, a LOT of fun!)

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Color. Married couple Jimmy Stewart & Doris Day vacationing in Morocco get sucked by mistake into espionage and an assassination attempt.

North By Northwest (1959)

B&W. A bit similar to the above film -- a man unwittingly dragged into espionage and plotting, with the famous crop-duster scene. Parts of this one feel a bit long and drag. James Mason is a fabulous, sophisticated bad guy, and Eva Marie Saint gets "punished" for appearing "loose", before Cary Grant finally knows the truth and supports her.

Family Plot (1976)

Color. Lighthearted suspense, with a phony psychic/con artist and her taxi driver/PI boyfriend encountering kidnappers.

To Catch a Thief (1956)

Color. Reformed thief Cary Grant must uncover who stole Grace Kelly's jewelry to prove his own innocence.

The Trouble With Harry (1955)

Color. Goofy "black humor" -- the trouble with Harry is that he is dead, and everyone has conflicting ideas of what to do with the body. Not so much like traditional Hitchcock.

Dial M for Murder (1954)

Color. If your 10yo can handle murder, this is a great one -- the original "criss-cross" murder plot, with innocent Grace Kelly being set up to take the fall.

Rear Window (1954)

Color. Outstanding; probably the best of all his films. A lot of Innuendo, but it will likely go over young heads. Warning: a little dog dies, too, if you have a child sensitive to things happening to animals.

I'd wait a few years for Vertigo, Psycho, and The Birds which are all great, but more psychological or disturbing. Marnie is odd and disturbing (see previous poster's comments).

Rebecca is good, but a very non-traditional Hitchcock type of film -- more like a gothic novel.

And while I love Notorious, it has an ishy element to it for me -- the US government asks Ingrid Bergman who is known to be "loose" (i.e. "notorious") to get into a relationship with Claude Rains to spy on him -- and, by the way, to "prove her loyalty" to make up for her father's pro-Nazi spying (blech!). Cary Grant is her contact and is just brutal to her (double blech!!), until the end after she's been "punished".

And then Spellbound has Ingrid Bergman as a psychiatrist whose professional judgment is called into question because she falls for fellow psychiatrist Gregory Peck -- oh pu-leese! -- But there is the interesting Salvador Dali set design for the dream sequence...

Yup, The Lady Vanishes is where I was going to suggest to start.

North By Northwest, but I'm a huge Cary Grant fan.  I also don't think you can beat the action scenes and I find much of the dialogue hilarious.

North by Northwest

Oh, man, my entire family gave this movie two thumbs down! Soooo slow and boring. We barely made it to the end. A few catchy lines, but you can read those on IMDB and save a couple of hours  :lol:

Oh, man, my entire family gave this movie two thumbs down! Soooo slow and boring. We barely made it to the end. A few catchy lines, but you can read those on IMDB and save a couple of hours  :lol:

Obviously a lot of people disagree, but movie preferences are very subjective.  I do think there are some slow spots in the movie that maybe could have been edited.  

Otoh, I feel most modern movies are a waste of a couple of hours.  I also think today most people do not have the patience for dialog and plot development....not that that was the case in your experience w/ NbyN, but many older movies do start out with slow development taking time to build, which I don't think modern movies take much of a chance with b/c they are competing with action movies that hit you over the head with something happening every second (it seems).  

I feel like life hits me over the head enough and I deal with enough coming at me daily, I'm happy if a movie takes it's time and I can sit back and :chillpill: a bit. 

Rope. Two brilliant rich kids kill a friend, then stuff his body in a trunk and throw a dinner party with the trunk in the room.... Clever creepy fun. And doesn't have that slow moving icy blonde thing n so many Hitchcock films that feels less fresh than it did at the time.

We just watched North by Northwest with our 10yo last night. The Trouble with Harry is my favorite. We also like Rear Window and To Catch a Thief

My older kids did not like The Birds because it creeped them out. I like Rope but they didn't, they said it was boring. Probably because there is not much action.

Suspicion is the one that unnerves me.

Definitely The Man Who Knew Too Much.  Our kids also enjoyed Rear Window and North by Northwest, but The Man Who Knew Too Much was their favorite by far.  They were laughing at The Birds.  They said the creepiest thing about it was that there is no scary music in the suspenseful parts.  It's just silent.  They didn't find it nearly as disturbing as I did.  I saw it in college and am still slightly freaked out when I see a flock of starlings gathering....

I found out what inspired my daughter to ask about Hitchcock movies - she has been watching episodes of the TV show Psych and the 4th season finale was Hitchcock movie themed.  It included references to Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo, Marnie, and I think one or two other movies.  The lead also did an impersonation of James Stewart, which she didn't get the reference and just thought it was a funny voice.   

Based on the overwhelming majority vote, we'll probably start with Rear Window.  But I want to also watch a lot of the other movies listed - many of which I've never seen!  Thanks so much for all of the recs!

… I had her watch Rebecca after watching Lord of the Rings once to show her how PJ used the same trick that Hitchcock used for that movie.

I've seen both Rebecca and LotR; what trick are you referring to?  :confused1:

My kid watched Psycho first.

*bag on head smilie*

Vertigo and Rebecca are my favorites but I like them  all really. I had her watch Rebecca after watching Lord of the Rings once to show her how PJ used the same trick that Hitchcock used for that movie.

I've seen both Rebecca and LotR; what trick are you referring to?  :confused1:

Yeah, spill! (Please?)

I found out what inspired my daughter to ask about Hitchcock movies - she has been watching episodes of the TV show Psych and the 4th season finale was Hitchcock movie themed.  It included references to Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo, Marnie, and I think one or two other movies.

Ahh, then DD will want to see both Rear Window and Vertigo, so she can match them up with the Psych episode. :) I do think Jimmy Stewart's character in Vertigo is brutal, and Kim Novak gets "punished" -- twice! -- but a lot of the psychological abuse stuff will likely go over the head of a 9yo...

Your DD wanting to see Hitchcock after the Psych episode reminds me of watching Mel Brooks' High Anxiety with DS#1 (film/video production person) -- it has very hilarious spoof scenes of several specific Hitchcock films, but even more, it parodies the types of camera work/angles, editing, and use of music that Hitchcock used. Maybe one to check out in a few years after your DD has watched some Hitchcock… Very fun! :laugh: