Menu

Have you ever just gotten your order from Rainbow Resource?

Tangerine

I have never, not once, just received my order from Rainbow Resource.  There is always a backordered item.  I'm starting to think that they just don't keep the things from that enormous catalog in stock, and order things to stock after they are ordered.  Am I just unlucky?  Do other people just order, and then get their order with no delays?

I think some publishers end up with more backorders than others.  Which may be a supply problem with the publisher and not necessarily Rainbow Resources fault.  Just a thought.  I noticed once when I was looking for a particular piece of curriculum, it was backordered everywhere I looked.  

I haven't ordered a ton from them, but have not had a backorder.

Once, many years ago, I waited over 3 weeks to get my order. It then arrived when I was on vacation. 

Since then, I have paid the extra $10 so they will ship even if any items are backordered. I also always make sure to buy something little (like a pencil) that will disqualify the order from being shipped media mail.

I have ordered every year for 8 years. I have NEVER not had something backordered. I've even had them cancell something due to it not being available. I've also never had anything that was in stock arrive in a timely manner. It always takes weeks and weeks.

I now only order from them when I have no choice. I will order from Amazon or Amazon marketplace or direct from the publisher.

I normally don't have a problem with backorders.  However, 2 recent orders were delayed due to backorders.  One order was held and then sent without the backordered items.  When I received a backorder notice for my most recent order, I looked around online and saw that the item wasn't available many places.  I went ahead and cancelled the item.

I've ordered from them at least 50 times (since "graduating" from homeschool, I now buy for the school where I tutor) and have never had a backorder.  I usually receive my shipment within a week of placing an order.  I always check their "bargain" bin and once got a book that was too damaged to use.  They sent me a brand new copy of the same book.  I love Rainbow.

I'm sorry you are having such a problem.  I would call them and see whether there is a better way for you to order so you don't have backorders.

My last three orders have all had backordered items. The most recent order was especially infuriating. My entire order was held a full week due to the backorders, even though the customer service rep told me over the phone that the backordered items would not arrive within their 5-day business day hold window and would be shipped later. So they held my order for a week (5 business days), then turned around and shipped the exact same items they had available to ship the day I placed my order.

I've also had a backordered item cancelled due to its supposedly being unavailable from the publisher. Yet the item is still an active listing on their website. ...

I just had to laugh when I saw the title of this post.  Ordering from RR is one of the things I DON'T miss about being done with homeschooling.

Anybody remember Great Christian Books?  I was just happy they refunded my credit card for back-ordered items before they went under.  I like to order from "somebody other than Amazon" but sometimes it's just nice to know you'll have your books in 2 days no matter what.

I don't order from them frequently, because I'm in Illinois and I have to pay sales tax.  I'm amazed that people have ordered so many times with no problems.  I don't need anything in a hurry, so I'm not upset at all.  I just kind of play the "what will delay my order this time" game when I place one.

I'm another one who has ordered multiple times each year for 8 years now. Occasionally there is a back order, but I don't mind that they hold it a week to wait. The back ordered item almost always comes in during that week and they ship. A few times, they just shipped the in stock part of the order after waiting the week and shipped the back ordered item when it came in. I rarely order during the summer, though. I love RR because they've always been so prompt to deal with any questions or damaged items. They've sent replacement parts quickly without a hassle. They are my favorite homeschool supplier.

I have never, not once, just received my order from Rainbow Resource.  There is always a backordered item.  I'm starting to think that they just don't keep the things from that enormous catalog in stock, and order things to stock after they are ordered.  Am I just unlucky?  Do other people just order, and then get their order with no delays?

I'm like you, I almost always have something backordered. I wish they would post by the item if it is in stock or not, because sometimes I don't want my order held up for something I may have been able to do without.

Maybe they do indicate now if something is backordered before one places the order? I haven't ordered from them in a while because I am frustrated by this.

When I was a new homeschooler I read somewhere about RR shipping delay frustrations. I had already ordered from them several times and always gotten my items with lightning speed (I'm in Missouri). That was 4 years ago. I now know what everyone was talking about. My last several orders have had back ordered items and have taken forever to arrive.

It frustrates me because they don't notify the buyer that there are back orders (at least I've never received any kind of notification) so I don't know unless I ask. If it weren't for their incredible prices I would definitely shop elsewhere (and do when price allows).

I usually place a big order twice a year and there is almost always an item on back order. My last order in Feb, there were two items on back order. Neither came during the hold period. One item came a couple of months later (Rainbow told me it would be this late after my order was processed). I wish there was a way to see if the item was on back order before the order was placed.

I've placed 2 orders & one of them had a backordered item. And I didn't get that item for close to 2 months after. It was just a read aloud history book, so it didn't put us back much, but I was less than impressed.

I've been done homeschooling for a few years, but I do remember the torture of ordering from RR.  Sometimes it was MONTHS before the stuff came in. Ugh. They told me it was due to convention season (which here in Illinois used to be in April/May, don't know about now), 

So fast forward and dd is now homeschooling. Last year she needed some things from RR and I wanted to pay for them-and yes, there were things out of stock. It took 6 weeks.  You remember how it was those first few years homeschooling, when you were still excited about getting new books? Yeah. 6 weeks was torture for her. This year she ordered in March so she'd have her stuff so she could start in August- and got her stuff in like 3 days. Go figure. 

I ordered some items on 5/31.  One item was backordered and I was notified about it on 6/4.  Items that weren't backordered were shipped on 6/10.  I got my items on 6/14.  I'm still waiting for one backordered book.  So, it was 15 days and I still don't have my full order.

I've had better luck with cbd.  I usually order from CBD, but RR had something that CBD didn't.

I usually place two big orders a year with RR and a couple of little ones.  The little ones almost never have back orders, but the big ones usually do.  I have always gotten a "back ordered item" notice the next business day.  It usually takes 10 days for my order to arrive, but since I expect it, the time doesn't bother me.  I do get impatient with other shipping delays.  Amazon Prime has me spoiled!