Menu

Resigned membership in my church today.

Rivka

I sent a letter of resignation to my UU church today, and now I'm feeling really sad.

I haven't enjoyed the services for several years. I tried various ways to get re-engaged in them, and nothing worked, so I have been just trying to focus on teaching RE. And I could have stayed on as a member, just doing that, except for how I feel about a whole raft of church politics things that I don't want to get into... yeah. I couldn't do it anymore. I left.

I've been a member of this congregation since 2001. I visited for the first time on the Sunday after September 11th, wanting to go to church even though I knew there was no possible way I could find any comfort, and against all expectation I found comfort there. My kids were dedicated there. The previous minister came to my house when I miscarried. I helped write the mission and vision statements.

My husband has served as President, Vice President, or Treasurer of the Board for seven of the last eight years. (Today, not coincidentally, was his last day.) He's planning to keep going (and taking the kids to RE), but he's not happy about the way things are going. He likes the services a lot more than I do, though.

It would be hard to overstate what a huge role this congregation has had in the lives of our family. But just being in the building makes me feel tense and angry and tired. Just having it be Sunday morning makes me feel this way. It's time to leave.

There isn't any point to this thread, I guess. I just wanted to come here, where no one else from my church reads, to say that I'm sad.

I'm so sorry. It's so hard when you want to be a part of a church community, but every moment you're there, you're unhappy. I think you did the right thing for your own mental well-being. It can't be healthy to feel tense and tired every time you walk in.

That is really rough. I loved the church we attended when my dd was born so much, but there were real problems the leadership was determined to ignore. I was sick about it for a year. It felt like  was divorcing my church. I missed the people there, I missed the good teaching I had been receiving when we started. But eventually it was all for the better.

I'm so sorry, Rivka. You may remember that my family had its own issues with our (now former) UU church. We, too, had been very involved there for a number of years, and it did, as someone else said, feel like a painful and difficult divorce when things went sour. I'll be thinking of you and your family and hoping that you find a spiritual home soon.

I'm sorry.  We left a church that we attended for 10 years and it is extremely difficult.  I had done everything from volunteering to being on staff.  My husband did a lot of serving in the church too.  Leaving was the right decision, but oh so difficult.

Suzanne