Menu

I need a good classic book

Forget-Me-Not

I've read, off the top of my head:

everything by Jane Austen.  Most or several by Elizabeth Gaskell, Thomas Hardy, Edith Wharton, George Eliot, Wilkie Collins.

I just finished listening to Middlemarch and Daniel Deronda (both by George Eliot) on audiobook, and I'd like another good, meaty book to dive into. 

Suggestions?

The Phantom of the Opera is always a bit of fun, I think.

That is a fun one. Alas, I've read it :)

Age of Innocence is my favorite Wharton if you haven't read that one yet, I"d recommend it.

I loved it too :D. See the problem I'm running into here? Haha!

I went through a Dickens phase and quite enjoyed it. It's a plus that they are all free for the Kindle.

I have never been able to choke down Dickens. Little Dorrit is the only one I've ever finished. But perhaps he might be better for me on audiobook. . . That was how I finally got through Eliot's Daniel Deronda!

My Antonia  or Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather.  These really give a sense of the place and time they were written about.

Maybe Anna Karenina?  Especially the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation.

I haven't read any Willa Cather. I'll check her out, thanks.

Anna Karenina has been on my mental to-read list but I'm worried about how depressing it could get. My last foray into Russian lit was not favorable (Crime & Punishment). Thanks for the translation tip. It really can make a world of difference!

ETA: I haven't read The Name of the Rose. I'll check it out. Thanks!

VAnity Fair or Les miserables.

I've read both ;)  I think Les Mis was abridged.  I tried to slog through the unabridged when the last movie came out.  Couldn't get past the chapter where Thenardier goes to the battle of Waterloo.  Just couldn't do it anymore!  LOL

Debatable whether it's 'a classic', but Rebecca has never let me down. 

ETA: Whooops....you said 'meaty'. Although lots of fun, I wouldn't call the above that.

It's a classic to me!  One of my favorites.  Not so much a fan of her other works that I've read though. 

Anna Karenina has been on my mental to-read list but I'm worried about how depressing it could get. My last foray into Russian lit was not favorable (Crime & Punishment). Thanks for the translation tip. It really can make a world of difference!

Anna Karenina has its tragedy, certainly, but it also has a parallel romance/spiritual growth story that is very uplifting.  I found the book much less "heavy" than Crime and Punishment.

Some other classics I've read during the past year and loved:  The Grapes of Wrath, Jane Eyre, Les Miserables. 

"Far from the Madding Crowd" is wonderful - esp. as an audio book (Nathaniel Parker is the narrator).

"Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne Bronte is lovely too.   It never makes it to any Classics list because she's not as well known as her sister. I  don't know if it's available in audio.

Did you only want British lit.?  If not.....

"The Good Earth" is lovely too

The Kristin Lavransdatter series is wonderful.

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"

"Heart of Darkness"

You said meaty, right?

Kristin Lavransdatter fits the bill. I never knew medieval Norway could be so fascinating. :)

and add my vote for listening to Dickens - I felt the same way as you, OP, until I started listening to this version of Bleak House. hth!

oh, have you seen this book about Middlemarch ?  I've read about one-fourth of it and am liking it very much.

You said meaty, right?

Kristin Lavransdatter fits the bill. I never knew medieval Norway could be so fascinating. :)

and add my vote for listening to Dickens - I felt the same way as you, OP, until I started listening to this version of Bleak House. hth!

oh, have you seen this book about Middlemarch ? I've read about one-fourth of it and am liking it very much.

I did say meaty :D. I've seen Kristin L. recommended here several times. I tried it once, but didn't get very far. Does it pick up?

I loved the BBC production of Bleak House. I didn't care for the narrator you linked, but Audible has a version by Simon Vance who is one of my all-time favorite readers.

That Middlemarch book looks AMAZING. Thank-you! I'm putting a sample on my iPad now!

I love Rebecca but I may love My Cousin Rachel a bit more, actually!

I second Bleak House and Far From the Madding Crowd.

I've read all but Bleak House, but I had completely forgotten about "My Cousin Rachel"! I read that years ago and really liked it. I see there are more than a few Du Maurier's I've overlooked. I may have to revisit her.

"Far from the Madding Crowd" is wonderful - esp. as an audio book (Nathaniel Parker is the narrator).

"Tenant of Wildfell Hall" by Anne Bronte is lovely too. It never makes it to any Classics list because she's not as well known as her sister. I don't know if it's available in audio.

Did you only want British lit.? If not.....

"The Good Earth" is lovely too

The Kristin Lavransdatter series is wonderful.

"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"

"Heart of Darkness"

I love Pearl Buck and "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is one of my top ten most loved books.

I did say meaty :D. I've seen Kristin L. recommended here several times. I tried it once, but didn't get very far. Does it pick up?

I loved the BBC production of Bleak House. I didn't care for the narrator you linked, but Audible has a version by Simon Vance who is one of my all-time favorite readers.

That Middlemarch book looks AMAZING. Thank-you! I'm putting a sample on my iPad now!

Yes, it really gets going. Every now and then I had to do a little skimming but it really is a great read. :)

I've heard of Simon Vance but haven't ever listened to him, lol. I'll have to try him out.

Middlemarch is one of my favorites - I can't wait to get back to that one!

Yes, a great read, and I recommend this translation (Tiina Nunnally) as it's very readable.  The other translation (Charles Archer) is the fake antiquated style and it was really a slog for me to get through the first book.  Then I switched over to Nunnally's translation and really enjoyed the second and third books.

I'll give a shout for a podcast I love called "Craftlit".  She walks you through classics with a little discussion and an audio format.  I really enjoy it!  She's got lots of books completed on the podcast, including "Tale of Two Cities" by Dickens.

I'll give a shout for a podcast I love called "Craftlit". She walks you through classics with a little discussion and an audio format. I really enjoy it! She's got lots of books completed on the podcast, including "Tale of Two Cities" by Dickens.

Oh thanks! That sounds interesting!

• 3 months later...

(I know this thread is a couple months old!)

Just wanted to mention Emily Eden's The Semi-Attached Couple and The Semi-Detached House. (These are actually separate books, but the edition I have has both.)

I was about halfway through with Cranford a few months ago, and then stopped...I think these are sort of along the same lines as the OP's recent reads.

Not a classic, but I enjoyed Jo Baker's Longbourn so consider it if you'd like to revisit the Bennett household. It wasn't so much a rehashing of P&P because it's about the servants.

"The Magnificent Ambersons" by Tarkington.

I read the answers too rapidly. Has anyone yet recommended the novels of Anthony Trollope? I fell so hard for these that I scoured the used book market until I had acquired a complete hardback set of the six "Barchester" novels, and a complete hb set of the six "Palliser" novels.