Menu

Do You have a Go-To Restaurant Breakfast?

Jean in Newcastle

After reading your subject line but not yet your post, I thought, "I usually get Eggs Benedict. I'm the only one who likes it here, and making it is a big pain." So I'm with ya, Sister.

And I've learned that I am in no way fussy. I've had extraordinary EB, EB where the hollandaise pretty clearly came out of a vat, EB with smoked salmon instead of backbacon...all good. I've even learned that in Chilliwack, BC, Eggs Benedict comes with cheese sauce rather than hollandaise (or maybe the diner was just out of hollandaise and the waitress was a quick thinker, but either way...good!).

Me, too, if iEB is on the menu, I will get it.  I am not even that picky.  I've always liked it. I once had leftover lobster from a steak and lobster date.  Made EB out of it.  Totally worth fiddling.  

I just got an egg cooker that poaches eggs.  I am looking forward to some at home.  Although, I guess I might have to freeze the english muffin.  

We ate out for breakfast today and I realized that I always order Eggs Benedict (if they have them) because no one else at home likes them and I find them "fiddly" to make. Do you have a "usual" that you order out for breakfast?

Perkins used to have this omelet with turkey, bacon, cheese, and tomatoes topped with hollandaise. Yum. With a berry muffin.

All the Perkins closed around here, though.

I have never had EB.  Huh...Of course I'd probably like it because Hollandaise is better than chocolate.

Gasp!

I am so confused.  

One nice thing about making it at home.  I double the hollandaise recipe.  Let everyone else get as much as they want, then I left up the meat and egg and pour the sauce on the bread.  Then I pour whatever is left on top.  That way I get an abnormal amount of sauce, but it looks like a normal amount. 

It's pretty unusual to eat out for breakfast...probably only happens on vacation. But I would say my standard order, most always available, is 2 eggs scrambled with wheat toast and 2 sausage links. Pretty filling, relatively healthy, won't be hungry an hour later.

Love omelettes--mushroom/cheese, or Denver.

Bacon.

No pancakes. No toast, because it's always cold by the time it comes and should be served piping hot!

When I'd go to bfast with a df in Texas, we'd always order club sandwiches. Just sounded better at the time!

I love eggs benedict because of hollandaise.  If it's on the menu, I almost always order it (although without Canadian bacon).   There's a chain here called First Watch which has a bunch of variations…all with hollandaise.

http://www.firstwatch.com/menu/breakfastbrunch/first-watch-eggs-clusives

My other favorite used to be giant waffles or French toast, but now that I know how much gluten bothers me, I avoid them.

My best friend and I used to go to Denny's and get Moons Over My Hammy.  I'd order it w/egg beaters and no ham.

If we went to IHOP, it had to be chocolate chip pancakes.  

I only eat breakfast out when we travel.  I tried one local "everyone loves this place" breakfast place that's been there forever, and didn't understand why people thought it was so great.

we've been to a few other places over the years - places that people came from all over for their breakfasts - and I'm wondering what all the hype is about. 

but then - dh makes killer waffles.  I now never order waffles out because they will not compare favorably.

the hyatt in downtown VanBC had a good breakfast buffet - but that was years ago.

I dont typically have a "thing" at any restaurant - I like to try different things. I do usually get things I can't or don't often make at home.

This is totally me, too! I almost *never* buy pancakes at a breakfast place, because I make them fairly regularly at home (the one exception is if Swedish pancakes are on the menu. Yum!). I have yet to master the art of making really great biscuits though, so that's what I order.

Fresh fruit and plain wheat toast.  If the fruit option is meager, maybe plain grits or hash browns.  And this pretty much holds true for all levels of restaurants, from IHOP to higher end.

I do not eat any animal flesh/fluids and I eat predominately whole foods, so eating out is always so disappointing compared to what I can have at home (fresh fruits/veggies, smoothies, pancakes/waffles)!

Is it weird that I have no memory of a great restaurant breakfast?  I need my coffee before anything else matters.

The only way I eat out for breakfast is if I'm traveling and need to eat before I hit the road for an outing.  I guess then it's pancakes if available.  Or oatmeal.  Hash browns are OK too if not very greasy.

I have allergies so my breakfast out emphasizes safety. I get an omelet made from eggs - some places make them with an egg mix with pancake batter added to make them fluffy.  I ask if they slice the cheese themselves or use sliced or grated which might contain cornstarch or something else to keep it from sticking together.  I get as many fresh veggies as they have. I ask if they make their own hash browns because prepared ones often have flour added.  I ask that everything be prepared in a pan instead of on the griddle to prevent cross-contamination.  I also order a lot of coffee and leave a generous tip.   It is always easier to eat at home.

Breakfast out?

At a local diner where everything is home made from scratch we always get country fried steak, 2 eggs over easy, shredded hash browns (hubby gets grits) and whole wheat toast (made from scratch too).  This breakfast for two comes to less then $13. Those days I don't need to eat lunch.  It's a nice diner...

If we're out traveling and the hotel doesn't provide breakfast we'll stop fast food.  There I get a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit and hash browns.

I don't actually like waffles or pancakes and eat them less than twice per year (usually then to be polite somewhere).

In general, breakfast is the meal we eat out the least though.

My absolute favorite is a local brunch place that does poached eggs on an english muffin, and they top it with sherried crabmeat.  Spectacular in real life.  I usually don't bother with the english muffin portion.

I also like eggs benedict over tomatoes or spinach in lieu of the english muffin.

Local diner we eat at with MIL is decidedly unfancy, but they always have 2 types of quiche, and they serve it with a lovely fruit salad.  Always get that when we eat there with her.

The diner of my childhood and teen years always had eggs, homefries, and toast for 99 cents.  Add in coffee and I think it was under $2 total.  We would sometimes eat there before school when I was in high school, and I think I nursed a few hangovers there.  Was very sad when they finally sold the place.  99 cent special was there at least through the early 00s.

I LOVE to eat breakfast out. I have a favorite at each restaurant I like for breakfast, but when travelling or trying somewhere new I often get Eggs Benedict. I am pretty particular, though, and if the hollandaise is not lemony enough I ask for lemon slices to doctor it up.

My favorite recently is polenta and eggs at a local vegetarian place. It is three grilled slices of polenta that has hot peppers and cheese in it topped with two fried eggs. I always get it with avocado slices on the side and one of their homemade whole grain english muffins. Yum!

PS. this blender hollandaise revolutionized my life: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blender-hollandaise-sauce/