Menu

Coffee service at an evening event

marbel

94 members have voted

1. 1. If you like caffeinated coffee and you went to an evening event at which only decaf was served, would you

• drink it and be content with it.
    • avoid the nasty stuff and be annoyed that there wasn't caf offered.
    • drink something else, but no big deal.
    • drink it and be annoyed that there wasn't another choice.
    • drink anything as long as there are cupcakes.
    • other.

I'm helping to organize an event for the women at my church.   We are having some discussions right now about coffee.

We would like to offer both decaf and caf coffee, but logistically it looks as though we might need to just offer one or the other.  (Equipment, room size limit us a bit.) If we can offer only one, it would have to be decaf.   Some people expressed dismay at this idea. 

If you are nighttime caf drinker, and you went to an event that included dessert and a talk by a well-regarded speaker (and is free of charge), would you be disappointed if there was only decaf?  

There will be various teas offered and water of course.    The age of the crowd is quite mixed, early 20's to 70's. 

This is not a JAWM post.  Actually I prefer caf, but as one of the planners I know how hard it can be to please everyone.   But this is a big diverse group so I expect to get a variety of opinions and responses.

I don't see how to add a poll; if I figure it out I'll add one.

ETA:  Poll added, duh.

I would be so happy to drink decaf.  I would thank my lucky stars that someone thought to have it.  I love a little coffee at night sometimes, but I value my sleep so much more.  

People who can sleep AND drink caffeine after noon?     GO. AWAY.  and don't tell me about it. 

:)

If I saw coffee, I would expect it to be caffeinated.  If I wanted decaf I would drink water or herbal/decaf tea.

Decaf people seem to be more easy going about the offerings and more flexible.  Maybe offer brewed caf coffee, and instant decaf along with other things like tea and bottles of water.  Or a pretty picture of water with fruit in it like lemon or pineapple.

If you serve caff coffee, I predict that only the people on the committee who are super snobbish about it will drink it.

???

Caffeinated coffee is snobbish?

If you're having tea/hot water, could you just do those coffee in tea bag things, too?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001M05070?pc_redir=1396175332&robot_redir=1

There are decaf ones, too. My cousin used the decaf ones at my house, which is how I know they even exist. :)

Put me in the "as long as there are cupcakes" column. I would prefer caf, but would drink decaf if I really wanted coffee. More likely I would just have something else, but I certainly wouldn't be upset that a free event with free refreshments didn't have exactly what I wanted.

???

Caffeinated coffee is snobbish?

If you're having tea/hot water, could you just do those coffee in tea bag things, too?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001M05070?pc_redir=1396175332&robot_redir=1

There are decaf ones, too. My cousin used the decaf ones at my house, which is how I know they even exist. :)

Nope, it's disdain for decaf that's snobbish. I have been to so many evening events ........ small town politics, women's club, art lectures, etc. and it is pretty standard that only decaf is offered.

Let me preface my comment by saying that I don't go out much to events, definitely not at night, but from experience, I would not expect to see any coffee at a nighttime event.  So if I got there and found decaf, I might feel like I get a little treat of coffee at night even though I know it won't taste as good as a regular coffee, but I wouldn't care b/c I'd be having a coffee at night and I never do that!! So, I would probably have the decaf.

If I found only regular coffee, I would pause, stare at it, dream of gulping a nice cup of coffee, and then snap back to reality.  Regular coffee at night will keep me up too late and I wake up early in the morning... so I wouldn't drink it, but I wouldn't be disappointed because I wasn't expecting there to be any coffee in the first place.

Out of curiosity, why can't you offer both?  Like a PP said you can buy a little jug of coffee from a coffee shop or serve instant.

Are DH and I the only ones going to Starbucks at 8 p.m.? I'm guessing I don't see most of you there. Granted, I'm getting chai or cocoa because I don't drink coffee, but the place is full and I doubt it's all decaf drinkers.

I have been known to hit the Dunkin Donuts for a coffee at that time of night. Especially when it is pumpkin season.

Are DH and I the only ones going to Starbucks at 8 p.m.? I'm guessing I don't see most of you there. Granted, I'm getting chai or cocoa because I don't drink coffee, but the place is full and I doubt it's all decaf drinkers.

Yes but that's a self-selecting crowd. Not ladies from the church coming to an evening event.

This thread is causing me to want to go make a cup of coffee!

Everyone gets the same coffee. Decaf wins, because generally, people who want decaf have problems with the caffeine, so they win. :-)

As an aside, when I serve hot tea to a crowd, I make it in an urn (I have one that I use only for tea), and everyone gets the same tea, not hot water and tea bags. You don't serve different flavors of coffee; you don't need to serve different flavors of tea. :-)

People can have what they want at home. This is a social event, where the social interaction is more important than what kind of beverage is served.

Everyone gets the same coffee. Decaf wins, because generally, people who want decaf have problems with the caffeine, so they win. :-)

As an aside, when I serve hot tea to a crowd, I make it in an urn (I have one that I use only for tea), and everyone gets the same tea, not hot water and tea bags. You don't serve different flavors of coffee; you don't need to serve different flavors of tea. :-)

People can have what they want at home. This is a social event, where the social interaction is more important than what kind of beverage is served.

Not to derail the thread, I always wondered why tea service has to have the box with all the packets and each person picks their tea.. I'm with you.  Make a tea and serve it as the drink.  If someone really happened to want a rooibos or jasmine green right at that moment in time then they'll have to deal with that.

And if you had to pick one kind of coffee at night, pick decaf.  If someone really needed that caffeine at 8pm he/she might have already had it at home or picked one up on the way seeing as most people don't serve regular coffee at night (unless you are a restaurant).

Not to derail the thread, I always wondered why tea service has to have the box with all the packets and each person picks their tea.. I'm with you.  Make a tea and serve it as the drink.  If someone really happened to want a rooibos or jasmine green right at that moment in time then they'll have to deal with that.

And if you had to pick one kind of coffee at night, pick decaf.  If someone really needed that caffeine at 8pm he/she might have already had it at home or picked one up on the way seeing as most people don't serve regular coffee at night (unless you are a restaurant).

:cheers2:

Honestly, if this is a church event and anyone gets all snippy and whiny over not having a bazillion beverage choices, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. ;)

Serve whatever you think is best, and make sure you have some bottled water available for the people who don't like the other options.

This reminds me of something someone said before.  She said, "We get together to be with each other and if there is food, great!   Americans get together and the food is the central point."  

ETA:  This was when we were planning potluck and everyone was stressing on what to bring.

LOL

Hey!  Fun to wake up in the morning to a bunch of responses!

Some replies -

- I've never seen or heard of the coffee singles!  That is a brilliant idea.  

- Had heard of but not thought about the box of coffee from Dunkin so I'll look into that too.

- All my life I have known people who expressed a dislike for decaf, starting with my mother.  I can't tell the difference; my preference for caf is simply because if I'm drinking coffee at night I need to stay awake.  So I don't think of it as a snobby thing but a taste thing.  Though fwiw, I did some googling and one catering site said more caf for a younger crowd, more decaf for an older crowd.  I didn't want to ask y'all's ages when I asked your opinion. 

- An urn full of brewed tea is also brilliant, though we would need a new urn dedicated to that.  I'll have to see if it's in the budget.  I can't stand drinking tea brewed in something that's also held coffee.  I like coffee and I like tea, but not together.

- I think the reason people offer a variety of teas but not coffees is because of the wide variety of teas available, and the simplicity of hot water and bags...

- Which takes me back to the coffee singles. 

Thanks for the helpful responses and the laughs!   

As a coffee lover, I would not drink decaf or those little instant coffee packets under any circumstance, but it's really no big deal if it's a free church activity. Depending on the activity, I often bring my travel mug full of coffee when heading out after dinner to something like my son's cub scout pack meeting.

I think most people who love coffee would opt for water or tea over instant coffee.

I am hosting a book discussion group in my home for couples of young children. I have offered decaf and a variety of hot teas and had several people each time who were disappointed about the decaf. I don't have the logistics to serve both either. The people who preferred regular coffee either drank the decaf or had tea, so they weren't totally out of luck.

I can mainline espresso right before bedtime and sleep like a baby. 

But decaf at a nighttime event wouldn't bother me at all.  I know most people can't drink caffeine in the evening and sleep (well, I know it intellectually, though I sometimes wonder if y'all are just making this up since it has absolutely no effect on me.)  But that actually also means I can't tell if I'm drinking decaf or the full-test stuff anyway, so decaf would be lovely.

I can drink coffee right before bed and be fine, but I would be fine (and probably expect it over caf) with decaf at an evening event. I agree with Poppy - the starbucks Via packets are quite tasty and you can get a variety, so I'd probably do something like that if possible.

I enjoy a variety of hot beverages. But to me, as a coffee drinker, the coffee serves the purpose of delivering the caffeine. So I think to serve non-caffeinated coffee defeats one of its main purposes. At that point, why not serve hot chocolate?

I know many older people (and some younger) don't care for the relatively higher amounts of caffeine in coffee, especially at night. After dinner, my mom drinks tea. That sounds like a good option for some people.

Serving *only* decaf is just, well, cruel!

Well shoot, make all the desserts gluten-free while we're at it. :lurk5:

Honestly, if this is a church event and anyone gets all snippy and whiny over not having a bazillion beverage choices, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. ;)

Serve whatever you think is best, and make sure you have some bottled water available for the people who don't like the other options.

I'd have a dispenser of iced water (or pitchers), and let people fill their cups, instead of bottles of water. At a nice event, bottles of water are just gauche, lol.

If I had paid $30 for a dinner event, I might be slightly annoyed not to have my drink of choice. For a free event with a speaker? So the focus of the event is not food and drink? Not to mention FREE. I'd not give it a 2nd thought. No big deal at all. I'd make sure there was a good variety of tea.

ETA - I drink both caf and decaf depending. If you're going to buy decaf and it's not just sitting around church, try and get a high quality, water process decaf. That makes a huge difference to me.

FTR, we have been spoiled to a certain extent by restaurants, whose purpose is to make their customers happy as quickly as possible; their purpose is not follow social protocols or traditions or even etiquette. In the past, hostesses did not feel the need to meet every guest's individual preference for beverages and food and whatnot. They served what they served (hoping to make it tasty and pretty and all that, of course), and guests did not expect to be able to choose from a variety of every beverage and all.

To serve one coffee and one tea and one other cold beverage is perfectly acceptable for establishments which are not restaurants. :-)

If you are nighttime caf drinker, and you went to an event that included dessert and a talk by a well-regarded speaker (and is free of charge), would you be disappointed if there was only decaf?  

I wouldn't be bothered at all - at a free event, I'd be surprised there was refreshment offered, period! 

I'll look at the Via packs. I'm not a fan of Starbucks coffee myself but I know I'm in the minority on that. That's a good option.

The nescafe tasters choice packs are good too.
You could just supply hot water, sugar and milk, I'll bring my own coffee packs and tea bags :lol:

I enjoy a variety of hot beverages. But to me, as a coffee drinker, the coffee serves the purpose of delivering the caffeine. So I think to serve non-caffeinated coffee defeats one of its main purposes. At that point, why not serve hot chocolate?

I know many older people (and some younger) don't care for the relatively higher amounts of caffeine in coffee, especially at night. After dinner, my mom drinks tea. That sounds like a good option for some people.

Serving *only* decaf is just, well, cruel!

If it's only purpose is delivering caffeine , why would you ever drink it in the evening ??

Only decaf makes sense for plenty of reasons. 

The real question is...will there be half and half or only powdered creamer??  Cannot drink coffee without milk or half and half.  :)

I never, ever serve powdered "creamer." Nasty.  I usually provide half-and-half (in a pitcher of some kind, never in the carton) and whole milk (ditto).

I cannot drink tea without cream or half-and-half.

I prefer not to serve packets of sweeteners, either, but I can't always work around that at a big event.

Only decaf makes sense for plenty of reasons. 

The real question is...will there be half and half or only powdered creamer??  Cannot drink coffee without milk or half and half.  :)

Half and half, in pitchers.  Always!  No powdered creamer.   I suppose those non-dairy folk may want that... oh no!  Here I go again! :lol:

Pitchers of ice water on every table, too.   We always do that. 

I think we've got it figured out:  decaf in the coffeemakers - it is nice, fresh decaf, not old stuff sitting around for months. 

Single-serve caf packets along with tea.  Regular black tea plus one or two herbals that we already have anyway. 

Lots of hot water.  

Whew!

This has been a fun thread - keeping me laughing during a stressful time.  I really don't love planning events but things happened.   :nopity: