Menu

Easter baskets for bigger kids

kfeusse

Books, looming junk, small gift cards (like $5 or $10 to Claire's), funky pens/pencils/erasers, hair stuff, nail polish, lip balm, lotion, and candy, candy, candy.

(My tweens are girls, lol.)

I really don't remember what we did for ds at that age.  I do remember water balloons!

Books, magazines, nail-polish, trading cards, stuffed animals, joke-book, sunglasses, make-up, hair-stuff, tennis-balls & a racket, a hat, cool t-shirt, fountain pens, markers and of course candy, chocolate and other yummy treats.

(My kids are older teens and we've expanded and grown our ideas over the years.  My dd, likes shopping and putting them together aka big help.)

We don't usually do much, since DS isn't into candy or chocolates or little bunny what-have-yous. But this year we are using it as an excuse to get him some much needed (small) sports equipment for the upcoming season: triathlon swim goggles, tri belt (for holding race numbers instead of poking holes in all his shirts), and quick laces (to save time in transition during tris). Grandma typically gets him some books to add in. In the past, we've put in coins in the plastic eggs since he isn't a candy eater.

My boys are almost 9.  Starting last year, I'm trying to get away from putting junky stuff in their egg hunt eggs.  I have enough of that stuff laying around already :-).  Last year, I bought a 100 piece puzzle and put the pieces in the eggs for hunting.  They worked as a team to find all the eggs and put the puzzle together.  When they were finished, they each received a DS game they've been wanting.  The egg hunt for this year will include Disney pins for pin trading (going to Disney the end of April).  I also have some Lego minifigs for 1 twin and will put cash in the other twins in place of the minifigs.  Probably will be a couple of pieces of their fav candy or gum.

In their baskets, they get some candy (usually fav jelly beans and a white chocolate bunny), normally a character for a video game (think Skylanders or Disney Infinity), this year they are getting new nunchuks for their Wii, a Disney gift card to buy what they want at Disney, usually a game (like Kanoodle), little word search books, sometimes art suppies.  Whatever I see that might interest them.  Definitely some Pokémon cards!

I love doing this...

candy

beef jerky

1 hotwheel

baseball cards

sunglasses

sports titanium necklace

earbuds

duct tape

air soft bb's

whiffle balls - sometime a pack to share (sat between the baskets) sometimes opened pack with balls in the basket

dvd or video game (of the cheaper variety) to share - sat between the baskets

T-shirts, cards, nail polish for the girls, balsa wood airplanes, airsoft pellets, books, videos, some candy.... basically the same kind of stuff that goes in a stocking, w/ an occasional bigger something.  Last year they got new swim suits, towels, flip flops, and goggles- being on a swim team gets expensive..and this way I killed two birds w/ one stone.  :D

Well I've never done easter baskets for my kids, because to me it's a sort of syncretism.  I grew up with them but just didn't want to do them.  Anyways, this year I'm realizing ds is SO in imagination land, for him it would be a lot of fun.  He's getting ears and a small bunny in a camo bucket.  My dd doesn't need a bucket or basket, mercy, but we picked out together a really fine peppermint patty filled bunny from Walmart.  I forget the brand.  She's thrilled.  :D

Our baskets growing up were totally candy.  

This year, we are doing Doctor Who t-shirts, and Make Your Own Chocolate and Make Your Own Chewing Gum kits! I usually pick a little stuffed animal since ds9 still loves those. I thought the kits would give them the candy they want with a semi educational, more fun way. I will probably still put in a chocolate bunny or something but that will be it.

DD is 10. Her Easter basket this year will include:

a My Little Pony comic book

some candy

a plush Minecraft squid

a Minecraft t-shirt

Minecraft Steve figure (see a theme here LOL)

possibly a few other small things but I haven't decided yet

For older kids, I always do things in themes that they enjoy:

teenage nephew has always liked zombies and Dr Who, so I've looked for those things

DD10 likes My Little Pony and Minecraft so I look for those themes.

gift cards are always a hit....iTunes, Kindle, Google Play

DVD's or video games (not the really expensive games though)

snacks, special drinks that they don't always get

new t-shirts with funny sayings that they would like

skins for a Nintendo DS or phone or iPod

stylus

new earbuds or headphones

magazine, book, or comic book

Nail kit....polish, stick on's, file, etc

hair supplies.....brush, clips, bow, headband, etc

new PJ's are always a hit with my kids, no matter what age

new unique earrings from Etsy

small nano blocks set

We are not religious so I'm always confused what to do on this holiday. I mean is it just a mini-Christmas, presents and family time?  A celebration of Spring?  How do secular people celebrate a holiday that is clearly Christian? 

Oh well, I bow to the pressure of marketing (mainly because I love to give my kids "stuff").  I think DD will be getting a violin, she's self-taught the flute and now would like to try something new.  DS will probably be getting  D&D books and a map(IDK, still have to research this). Plus some candy (this is DH's department, he goes all out for Easter).  We'll be spending Easter at my moms hunting eggs, real ones that were probably laid with in the past week and fake ones with quarters.  I have gotten to the place where I look at Easter giving as a way to spread out gifts.  Makes Christmas and Birthdays (June/July) more financially doable if they get one of their "wants" in between.  

We are not religious so I'm always confused what to do on this holiday. I mean is it just a mini-Christmas, presents and family time? A celebration of Spring? How do secular people celebrate a holiday that is clearly Christian?

Oh well, I bow to the pressure of marketing (mainly because I love to give my kids "stuff"). I think

Huh, I've actually never really considered Easter as a religious holiday! Ha! I guess we've just thought of it as a celebration of the coming spring. We don't make a big deal out of it. Although, DS has been interested in Jewish holidays the last couple of years, and I think Easter and Passover coincided last year, so we cooked a wonderful Passover meal and had a great time learning about that tradition (we are atheists so it was all new to us!). I'm sure we'll do the same this year; I'm pretty sure his fascination with Judaism stems from his love for the food! Ha! :)

Wow. Can I ask a weird question? How many of the people putting toys/books/non-candy items in the baskets are from countries outside of america? I'm wondering if we are the 'odd ones out' or if they are!

Australian here, and I don't know anyone who got anything other than chocolate easter eggs and sugar eggs in their easter basket. One family also put books in, and ok, occasionally you'll get those cheap little easter chicken/rabbit toys etc, but I can't think of anyone who got 'presents' in their baskets when I was a kid. Even as a teenager I loved my easter chocolate because it lasted ages, and I always had some special treats stashed around. Easter was never a 'gift giving' holiday for us, that's what Christmas and Birthdays are for, but I think every single person who has replied thus far does some presents.

Each to their own, and there's no reason NOT to give gifts if that's what you want to do, I'm just curious because I know in recent years I have heard of non-chocolate items going in baskets, but I thought it was far from being a mainstream thing, so the responses are kind of foreign to me. Do I just live in a bubble and the rest of the world outside my immediate circle do easter differently? lol.

To answer the OPs question, the older two are at the age where quality means more than quantity, so a few fancy 'gourmet' chocolate eggs would make more sense than a whole bunch of plain milk chocolate ones, and maybe make them feel special and grown up. I remember when I got my first 'grown up' easter egg, it was like white chocolate and raspberry or something

Well I'm Australian. As a kid I only got chocolate eggs..no gifts ever. I've spent an Easter in Canada..their Easter chocolate is nasty IMO....I'd be giving toys in my kids basket too rather then eat the chocolate..it tastes like the cheap dollar store stuff you get here. Also they don't have even one tenth of the range of Easter eggs we do. Chocolate Easter eggs are big business in Australia...bigger then any other country I've seen.

That being said...my kids tend to eat one or two eggs and then take one bite of the others and then squish them into the floor. I'm also allergic to chocolate..especially the Easter kind and can't eat what they don't. So this year they will be getting one or two eggs and some other stuff. I'm not sure what yet. Its heading into winter here so I bought DD some winter PJ's at Target with a bunny on them to go in her basket. The boys will probably get some PJ's too. Maybe some small Lego or Playmobile sets and a Skylander figure. I don't want it to be a huge gift fest but Easter Eggs are so expensive I don't want to buy them either if my kids aren't going to eat them.

I do an Easter Egg hunt with those tiny eggs...they are less likely to be wasted if they can be put into their mouths whole LOL.

NZ. We just got a chocolate egg. As a child it was the only chocolate we got that was ours and that we could choose when and how much to eat (within limits) so it was a very big deal. It is not such a big deal for my kids but they still get chocolate eggs.

Wow. Can I ask a weird question? How many of the people putting toys/books/non-candy items in the baskets are from countries outside of america? I'm wondering if we are the 'odd ones out' or if they are!

Australian here, and I don't know anyone who got anything other than chocolate easter eggs and sugar eggs in their easter basket. One family also put books in, and ok, occasionally you'll get those cheap little easter chicken/rabbit toys etc, but I can't think of anyone who got 'presents' in their baskets when I was a kid. Even as a teenager I loved my easter chocolate because it lasted ages, and I always had some special treats stashed around. Easter was never a 'gift giving' holiday for us, that's what Christmas and Birthdays are for, but I think every single person who has replied thus far does some presents.

Each to their own, and there's no reason NOT to give gifts if that's what you want to do, I'm just curious because I know in recent years I have heard of non-chocolate items going in baskets, but I thought it was far from being a mainstream thing, so the responses are kind of foreign to me. Do I just live in a bubble and the rest of the world outside my immediate circle do easter differently? lol.

To answer the OPs question, the older two are at the age where quality means more than quantity, so a few fancy 'gourmet' chocolate eggs would make more sense than a whole bunch of plain milk chocolate ones, and maybe make them feel special and grown up. I remember when I got my first 'grown up' easter egg, it was like white chocolate and raspberry or something

I think gift giving at Easter has become a big business in the States. We wouldn't do it (and never have, until this year) but since DS doesn't like chocolate or the traditional sweets or small plastic toys, we figured we'd get him things he's going to need for the season anyway. It'll be a huge thrill. :)

Growing up, it was always a chocolate bunny, some egg-shaped candies (malted eggs, jelly beans, etc).  I usually got something to go with my Easter church outfit (think white gloves or a little purse or earrings).  That's it.

My kids get pretty basic stuff -- not pricey at all.  Maybe candy + bubbles + sidewalk chalk.  This year, they're getting some small dinosaur skeletons (to play with in the sand box).  That --plus a bit of candy-- is probably it.

How do secular people celebrate a holiday that is clearly Christian? 

With chocolate, of course. Lots and lots of chocolate. 

Seriously, they celebrate it just the same way many non-Christians celebrate Christmas: with candy and/or gifts, a good meal, and time with friends and family. Fine chocolates are very inclusive. 

My teens like to get candy and treats from World Market: Belgian chocolates, Japanese soda, and so on. 

I do (I'm an atheist). It's pretty low key for us though. I'm kind of the same. I just like an excuse to give my kids stuff. LOL

We do baskets. I usually cook something special. We decorate eggs. We do an egg hunt inside our outside depending on the weather. That's about it.

We do the same. Another atheist here. We celebrate the arrival of spring, basically.

Growing up, the baskets I received were only filled with candy. Now we do small gifts, to lessen the amount of candy. Candy for us is very expensive - we have to order special allergy safe candy, and I only know of two companies that make what we need, so there's not much shopping around.

This year there will be a Rubik's Cube, books, and probably some other small items - art supplies, maybe.

DFD9

-Milk Chocolate Rabbit

-Almonds

-Jump Rope

-Cute socks 

-Barretts and hair ties

-Bathing suit

-Pool shoes

-Bubble solution

-Bubble wand

-Kite kit

-New Toothbrush

-New riding helmet (which will serve as the basket portion I think)

DD14

-Easter Peanut M&Ms

-2 Leotards

-Grips (I think she must be about due for a new pair but she hasn't said anything so if she doesn't speak up soon they will be going in the basket)

-Gummy Bears (unless I can find Gummy Rabbits)

-Lipgloss / Mascara

-Hair ties

-New Toothbrush

(I'll come up with a few more things between now and Easter)

I've gotten some great ideas from this thread - thanks!

My almost 12-year-old DS is going through a HUGE growth spurt and is starving all the time, so he's definitely getting food (not just candy) - beef jerky, trail mix, nuts, etc.

I also try to put some swimming-related gifts in their baskets - new bathing suit, rash guard shirt, pool towel, pool toys, etc.

We always include books.   Sometimes a CD, DVD, or audiobook.

Well I'm Australian. As a kid I only got chocolate eggs..no gifts ever. I've spent an Easter in Canada..their Easter chocolate is nasty IMO....I'd be giving toys in my kids basket too rather then eat the chocolate..it tastes like the cheap dollar store stuff you get here. Also they don't have even one tenth of the range of Easter eggs we do. Chocolate Easter eggs are big business in Australia...bigger then any other country I've seen.

That being said...my kids tend to eat one or two eggs and then take one bite of the others and then squish them into the floor. I'm also allergic to chocolate..especially the Easter kind and can't eat what they don't. So this year they will be getting one or two eggs and some other stuff. I'm not sure what yet. Its heading into winter here so I bought DD some winter PJ's at Target with a bunny on them to go in her basket. The boys will probably get some PJ's too. Maybe some small Lego or Playmobile sets and a Skylander figure. I don't want it to be a huge gift fest but Easter Eggs are so expensive I don't want to buy them either if my kids aren't going to eat them.

I do an Easter Egg hunt with those tiny eggs...they are less likely to be wasted if they can be put into their mouths whole LOL.

That's really fascinating... I didn't realize our range of chocolate eggs was an aussie thing. I love going through the shelves full of chocolate and picking out what everyone will like best. It's just such a staple here. Thanks for the info!