Menu

kid's books you've overanalyzed

fdrinca

Does anyone know, is Little Bear's friend Emily a vagrant? A Gypsy? A new-age hippie? Why does she live in a tent by the river? 

In Rumpelstiltskin, did the king stop requesting the poor, hapless daughter spin straw into gold? Why did three days of gold satisfy his greed?

WHY DOES THE MAN WITH THE YELLOW HAT LEAVE GEORGE ALONE, TIME AFTER TIME?

Time to hit to playground. Storytime is over.

Why is Pal Arthur's pet but Binkie is his classmate?

LOL.... my 14, 16, and 18 year old kids were just debating this very question in great detail the other night.

I found out that they apparently remember almost everything they ever watched on TV when they were young, so I'm glad I kept an eye on things!

Why do all of the animals in the Going to Bed Book take a bath, put on pajamas, THEN go up to exercise?

My dc asked the same thing when they were younger and this book was on our regular rotation. :laugh:

And they thought having a personal penguin was a little bit creepy.

Why do all of the animals in the Going to Bed Book take a bath, put on pajamas, THEN go up to exercise?

I forgot this one. Definitely one of life's great mysteries.

Why is OK that the musicians of Bremen get to live in the found house with the robbers' spoils, but the robbers were villains? 

Isn't it just really, really strange that Stewart Little's parents produce someone who looks just like a mouse?  It's always turned my stomach.  My boys weren't keen either, despite loving his other books.

L

I'm glad they changed it for the movie. I remember reading it to my sons years ago and thinking ICK! about giving birth to a mouse-boy.

Guest submarines

How did Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present get a Caldecott honor for its portrayal of a man sized rabbit luring a child into the woods while discussing red underwear. I don't know about banning books but this one, maybe. Creepy. Creepy.

:eek:

"In Rumpelstiltskin, did the king stop requesting the poor, hapless daughter spin straw into gold? Why did three days of gold satisfy his greed?"

I was just pondering this yesterday.  Also, why on earth would the miller's daughter want to marry someone who threatens to kill her if she doesn't do his bidding.  Even my 6 yo was asking why she married that mean guy.

Someone needs to sit Wendy Darling down and have a talk with that girl. She is in a relationship that is totally co-dependent. Peter just wants her to be his mother, not his wife, and she is in denial about the whole thing. And, while she is keeping the house clean he is giving the eye to Tiger Lilly. He won't ever quite answer Wendy's question of "what am I to you?" but he does know that Tiger Lilly 'Wants to be something and it's not my mother." Yeah, I bet she does.

Get over it Wendy, he's never going to commit. And the problem isn't you, it's him. He's never going to grow up. You are going to wait for him to change, while you get older and older, until your youth is gone and your best years have passed you by. Meanwhile he is living the life of a permanent manchild. No care, no responsibilities, no thought to tomorrow because he has you to take care if it all. And as soon as you leave he will forget all about you and find some other naive young thing to sew on his shadow in exchange for a thimble. 

What? You told your daughter to go off with Peter and do his spring cleaning? Oh Wendy, Wendy, you really need a therapist and some self esteem.

Isn't it just really, really strange that Stewart Little's parents produce someone who looks just like a mouse?  It's always turned my stomach.  My boys weren't keen either, despite loving his other books.

L

I always thought that maybe Mrs Little worked in a genetics lab or maybe they lived over an illegal toxic waste site.

If I were Mr Little, I would be giving Mrs Little the side eye until I got a pretty good explanation.

I absolutely love Richard Scarry's books, but I did always wonder how Busytown had a zoo. And how the butcher was a pig. Where did these animals in the zoo come from? And what was this meat that the butcher was selling?

Richard Scarry books are my favorite books ever, but I've always wondered about stuff like this.  A zoo?  Really?  They're ALL animals!  Why does the mouse (or is the worm?) drive a PENCIL?

Why are there conductors in Thomas the Tank Engine?  The don't seem to keep the engines out of trouble, and don't seem to be able to control where the engines go.  Why do they sometimes refer to Sir Toppenhat as the Fat Conductor?  That's mean!  Why is Diesel so crabby?

Why do Banana in Pajama eat fruit?  That's weird,  Why don't the teddy bears find it odd that there are talking bananas, but not other fruit?

Why would you give a pigeon a bath?  Why would you even think of letting it drive a bus??????

George belongs in a zoo.  The man in the yellow hat should never have children.

Who nicknames their kid Fudge?

Toad's family should have put him in an institution and picked someone responsible to inherit their money.  Since that didn't happen, he should have been thrown in jail.

Why didn't the people who had the game Jumanji destroy it?  They clearly knew it was dangerous.

Don't even get me started on The Polar Express.  That book weirds me out!

I absolutely love Richard Scarry's books, but I did always wonder how Busytown had a zoo. And how the butcher was a pig. Where did these animals in the zoo come from? And what was this meat that the butcher was selling?

And why does the clearly incompetent Mr. Fixit keep getting customers?

Why is Courderoy the only "awake" stuff animal or toy in the department store?

Why do they continue to refer to Curious George as a monkey when he is clearly not a monkey?  Monkeys have tails. George is a chimp.

This thread is cracking me up. I have to send my 10 year old out of the room when we read many preschool books with my 4 year old because he ruins it for her. 

Book: "We're going on a bear hunt, Can't go over it, Can't go under it..." 

10 year old "Actually you could go over it. You just build a bridge." 

Etc. 

Guest submarines

This thread is cracking me up. I have to send my 10 year old out of the room when we read many preschool books with my 4 year old because he ruins it for her. 

Book: "We're going on a bear hunt, Can't go over it, Can't go under it..." 

10 year old "Actually you could go over it. You just build a bridge." 

Etc. 

My almost 6yo said the same thing to me last night! :glare: I told her to just look at the pictures and listen to the rhythm.    :smilielol5:

In A to Z Mysteries, why are these kids who are like 10 running around alone (they have parents, but it's mostly just to be there for the kids to say "I'm going out with my friends") solving crimes that the police either don't care about at all or can't solve?

How in the world did Little Red Riding Hood not notice that the thing in her grandmother's bed was not her grandmother, but instead a talking wolf?  For that matter, why did it not even occur to her when she met the talking wolf in the first place that that was weird?

Why did I always use (bad) German -accented English when reading aloud the lines spoken by the witches in Dahl's The Witches. I always felt a little guilty about that..

The audio book does the same thing! I will have to go look up who reads it, but we bought the entire collection from the UK.

I'm glad they changed it for the movie. I remember reading it to my sons years ago and thinking ICK! about giving birth to a mouse-boy.

Definitely icky, but we did this as a read aloud after my latest little one was born, so my very first thought was: what an easy labor!

Why don't the kids in Five Children and It tweak their original wish to account for what made it go wrong and make the same wish again? On a related note, why doesn't Brain improve and perfect his plans to take over the world with Pinky instead of just abandoning them entirely when they almost work?

Why didn't Dora's parents lose custody?

I feel the same way about Max and Ruby. Where is their mother????

As for books... My dd's favorite book is "There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly"

I was reading it to her for the bazillionth time the other day and my oldest ds said, "I don't know why she swallowed a fly. perhaps she'll DIE? What kind of book are you reading to my little sister? How is that a book for children?" :)

Someone needs to sit Wendy Darling down and have a talk with that girl. She is in a relationship that is totally co-dependent. Peter just wants her to be his mother, not his wife, and she is in denial about the whole thing. And, while she is keeping the house clean he is giving the eye to Tiger Lilly. He won't ever quite answer Wendy's question of "what am I to you?" but he does know that Tiger Lilly 'Wants to be something and it's not my mother." Yeah, I bet she does.

Get over it Wendy, he's never going to commit. And the problem isn't you, it's him. He's never going to grow up. You are going to wait for him to change, while you get older and older, until your youth is gone and your best years have passed you by. Meanwhile he is living the life of a permanent manchild. No care, no responsibilities, no thought to tomorrow because he has you to take care if it all. And as soon as you leave he will forget all about you and find some other naive young thing to sew on his shadow in exchange for a thimble.

What? You told your daughter to go off with Peter and do his spring cleaning? Oh Wendy, Wendy, you really need a therapist and some self esteem.

Oh my gosh I almost choked on my gum. This is hilarious!

My burning question: what is at the root of Skippy Jon Jones' identity crisis?

And why does the clearly incompetent Mr. Fixit keep getting customers?

Hahahaha! My 2yo and 5yo were just wondering about that the other day! 2yo: "Him not very good Mr. Fixit."

Richard Scarry books crack me up. I always wonder if he was intending to be ironic with the pig butcher and the hot dogs, or what. Oh, and how about the one where the Rabbit children's "friend" Mr. Owl is waiting for them? Or the one where Mrs. Somebody leaves her kidlet with the three ragamuffin babysitters, who decide to make fudge -- exactly how did they clean up that mess so fast when they saw her coming up the walk? And why didn't Mrs. Rabbit (or whoever it was) get a halfway decent inspector before she bought the house that ends up with like twelve repairmen coming on the same day? I could go on and on about RS books.