Menu

Can we talk panties for the minute?

LucyStoner

No really. Panties and not pantries. With the other thread title, I couldn't resist.

I need some comfy underwear for my workouts that STAY PUT if you know what I am saying. Part of my issue is that I need to get rid of nearly all of my underwear and buy a smaller size but part of it is that these blasted things slip down like crazy when I am running. Awkward. Annoying. The "running underwear" I see is priced super high too and I am wondering if anyone has had luck with more modestly priced options that work well for fitness but may not be marketed as such.

I hope this isn't way too much information on the public board but I go without when I'm wearing workout pants. I find that they are plenty comfortable and seem to be unnecessary. Particularly when I'm wearing things like spandex running pants or yoga pants that fit tight. As an added bonus it cuts down on things to wash.

I  prefer undies

I have never liked the word knickers probably because it is the word my grandmother uses. she has this thing about sending down all her old knickers with failed elastic for me. I DO NOT WANT THEM.

the only time apart from this board that I have heard the word panties is for panty liners -sanitary napkins

Are you working out in just shorts? Most running / workout shorts I've seen have panties or compression shorts built in. If you'd don't you could wear compression shorts under your running shorts.

No shorts right now. It's usually below freezing temps when I head out for my 5:30 bootcamp. I've been wearing two pairs of cropped or long pants these last few days and mine don't have a liner or such built in. And the seams would bug me if I went commando while working out.

I saw some compression shorts on the moving comfort website I think I am going to try. I can think of them as just big underwear, right? ;)

I think the fit is the most important part of the equation.

I find bikini cuts most comfortable for regular wear, but hipster-type cuts in a stretchy fabric (without any sort of decorative/separate waist band) stay put better through a workout. Unfortunately, those synthetic fabrics might not work out well for some people, especially when extra sweaty.

I am very picky about my underwear.  I only wear 100% cotton.  The problem with 100% cotton is that they don't hold their shape as well.  So I never have underwear I actually like.

Have you considered cotton with a teensy bit of lycra?  Hanes does a line of stretch cotton undies with their "comfort soft" waistband.  They are available in a variety of shapes (bikini, low rise, etc.).  Target carries them.  They hold their shape very well.

I think the fit is the most important part of the equation.

I find bikini cuts most comfortable for regular wear, but hipster-type cuts in a stretchy fabric (without any sort of decorative/separate waist band) stay put better through a workout. Unfortunately, those synthetic fabrics might not work out well for some people, especially when extra sweaty.

The key is to buy your knickers in a fabric that is made to wick moisture away from the body.  Not all synthetics are designed to do this.  The Moving Comfort undies are specifically designed for exercise, and do a great job with wicking.  

Exofficio, not cheap.

In my quest for quick-dry, wicking travel/sports undies, I have tried Moving Comfort and ExOfficio.  The MC does everything the ExO does in terms of travel convenience (quick dry, roll up very small, lightweight), but is more comfortable, with smoother lines, and way, way cuter, for a similar price.

You could just run without panties. :lol:

You know, I baffled my husband this morning. What was I doing? I was trying on each of my running pants in turn and running in place in the bathroom, and jumping side to side. He was like "whhhaaaa?" And I was like "imma checking them to see which has the least annoying seams." He replied "whaaaaa?" ;).

3 of my 4 pair were deemed too annoying. One pair of capris was noticeable but not bothersome. So I made that my under layer and pulled another pair on for warmth. My car said it was 14 when I started out at 5am. Class was cancelled as it usually is if temps are much below 20 (that's some cold concrete to lay down on). So I headed to the Y. While I can't say the seams weren't annoying I also can't say that they were as annoying as having my underwear slide below my rear under my pants, again and again. So maybe.

I have tried them.  In fact, I have 5 pair sitting in my drawer.  I hate them.  They make me sweat.  I didn't have this problem when I lived in CA, but here in 10,000 percent humiditiesville, I sweat like a pig in anything but 100% cotton.  I even tried the moisture wicking.....it just held the sweat in better......yuck!

Sorry, too much information, but there you have it.

Dawn

Have you considered cotton with a teensy bit of lycra?  Hanes does a line of stretch cotton undies with their "comfort soft" waistband.  They are available in a variety of shapes (bikini, low rise, etc.).  Target carries them.  They hold their shape very well.

The key is to buy your knickers in a fabric that is made to wick moisture away from the body.  Not all synthetics are designed to do this.  The Moving Comfort undies are specifically designed for exercise, and do a great job with wicking.  

In my quest for quick-dry, wicking travel/sports undies, I have tried Moving Comfort and ExOfficio.  The MC does everything the ExO does in terms of travel convenience (quick dry, roll up very small, lightweight), but is more comfortable, with smoother lines, and way, way cuter, for a similar price.

I don't wear any underwear when I run.  My running shorts have liners, so I run sans panties.  I don't wear any undies with my running tights either.  

I did notice that Target sold some wicking undies in the exercise section.  Maybe those would work?  

My new favorite running shorts are by Oiselle, they're called Roga shorts.  I only own 1 pair so far, but I plan to buy another when the temps warm up.  

No really. Panties and not pantries. With the other thread title, I couldn't resist.

I need some comfy underwear for my workouts that STAY PUT if you know what I am saying. Part of my issue is that I need to get rid of nearly all of my underwear and buy a smaller size but part of it is that these blasted things slip down like crazy when I am running. Awkward. Annoying. The "running underwear" I see is priced super high too and I am wondering if anyone has had luck with more modestly priced options that work well for fitness but may not be marketed as such.

You said panties :svengo: I've already TOLD you I hate that word *shudders*

What IS it about that word, anyway? I don't mind telling the whole internet what colour underwear I'm wearing, but when my grandmother was folding the laundry one day, she innocently asked, "Are these your panties or your sister's?" and I ran out of the room in horror and refused to talk to her for days.

No. They are NOT. Do I look like the kind of person who would wear < shudder > panties?

No shorts right now. It's usually below freezing temps when I head out for my 5:30 bootcamp. I've been wearing two pairs of cropped or long pants these last few days and mine don't have a liner or such built in. And the seams would bug me if I went commando while working out.

I saw some compression shorts on the moving comfort website I think I am going to try. I can think of them as just big underwear, right? ;)

I wear cotton tights/leggings or yoga pants under my skirts for running/walking. They are just big panties. No one will convince me otherwise. If I accidentally wear panties under, I feel like I am wearing panties under my panties.

Are you a Costco member?  My favorite panties for working out are sold in a multi-pack there.  I don't know the brand, but they are a hipster (hiphugger - whatever) style and they are made out of stretchy cotton, probably with lycra for the stretch.  They stay put and don't chafe.

I am going to check a few mentioned here out. We are costco members so I can grab some when I go next week for the 7 pounds of cheese my sons eat. Like I said I need smaller ones anyways (which is making this whole slippage thing much worse) so even if a test drive some that won't work for activity, I will get some new general use drawers out of it. Thanks for all the suggestions.

These do not move.  Ever.  They are also the most comfy underwear I've ever worn, with lots of different styles and cuts.

For a while I was damn near proselytizing about them to every woman I knew, and I am proud to say I won many converts.   :laugh:

Yes, yes! I wholeheartedly agree that SOMA vanishing edge panties are comfy and stay put. I have a bunch of them. They frequently have buy 3, get 2 free sales. :)

What IS it about that word, anyway? I don't mind telling the whole internet what colour underwear I'm wearing, but when my grandmother was folding the laundry one day, she innocently asked, "Are these your panties or your sister's?" and I ran out of the room in horror and refused to talk to her for days.

No. They are NOT. Do I look like the kind of person who would wear < shudder > panties?

Since we're telling funny grandmother stories I have one to add.  (This is slightly related to panties so I figure it's appropriate on this thread.)  

My grandmother and I were out shopping at a department store when I was right out of college.  20 or 21 at the most.  I was a few racks over looking at scarves when I heard her loudly call to me.

"Hey Amy.  They've got a sale on those THONGS you like to wear."

I turned beet red.  "GRANDMA!  We call them flip flops now!!!!"

Since we're telling funny grandmother stories

I'm going to get the giggles if we add the adjective "granny" to the already unpleasant noun, but in all honesty that might be more useful to the OP than my attempt at humour.

My mother accidentally bought me the offending adjective kind of the offending noun by mistake for Christmas one year and they really weren't that bad. I was single at the time so nobody knew and they did stay put while I walked and used the bike as my main source of transportation. I told Mom not to feel bad.

Then we got in a huge fight the next year because she remembered my reassurance that her mistake wasn't that bad and that I hadn't been offended but I didn't so I lit into her and told her on no uncertain terms that I was still young, healthy, optimistic, hopeful, and nowhere near ready for (offending adjective deleted) (offending noun deleted)!!!!!!

Oops.

Mom never bought me underwear for Christmas again.

Seriously, it's the IDEA of the adjective that is offensive, not the reality of it. They might be worth a try if you're shaped like me or a pear since you're going to Costco anyway.

I think I'm actually going to stop wearing underwear. Drawers sound so much cozier.

buy compression leggings and run without. It is the best :) Also, if you want "undies" but still want it compressionish... I have been known to wear DHs compression boxer underwear found at Target. It is cheaper than buying the shorts meant to be worn as shorts and not underwear. They are a little loose in the front, lol but I always have them on under other shorts when I wear those. Also, you could look for spandex biker shorts. They don't absorb moisture as well as other compression shorts, though.