Menu

would you do this??

ProudGrandma

My brother is looking at vacation houses for rent for a week this next summer.  There are 18 of us that will be staying there.  Here is the break-up of the families:  our parents (in their high 70's), my older brother, his wife and the 4 kids (2 girls out of college, one daughter who is a junior in HS and a son who is 12), my family...my husband, and our 3 kids dd 13, ds 12 ds 10...and my younger brother, his wife and their 3 kids....dd14, ds 12 and ds 11. 

the house he is currently looking at has 1 1/2 bathrooms....would you be willing to live in a house with all of those people and only one shower?  I can't decide if this woiuld make or break the deal....

My brother is looking at vacation houses for rent for a week this next summer.  There are 18 of us that will be staying there.  Here is the break-up of the families:  our parents (in their high 70's), my older brother, his wife and the 4 kids (2 girls out of college, one daughter who is a junior in HS and a son who is 12), my family...my husband, and our 3 kids dd 13, ds 12 ds 10...and my younger brother, his wife and their 3 kids....dd14, ds 12 and ds 11. 

the house he is currently looking at has 1 1/2 bathrooms....would you be willing to live in a house with all of those people and only one shower?  I can't decide if this woiuld make or break the deal....

What is the availability of showers elsewise in the area -- maybe there are showers at a pool/gym area?  I'd be hesitant.

When we rented a house for a week. There were 17 of us, mostly adults, with 3 bathrooms. But one (on the first floor) got used the most. The upstairs (master bathroom) was there if needed though.

Only if there are some other shower/bathing options.  Is it on a lake where you could bathe?   My husband's family goes to their family cabin every summer for a week and there are probably 30 people sharing one shower!  However, it's on a lake and 90% of the time people just do their bathing in the lake.  They use lake-safe shampoos and soap.  Really, it's a rare person who actually uses the shower and they limit it to 5 minutes.

Our home has just one shower, and when every and their spouses are there we are nine.  It works if we set up a shower schedule and set a time limit.

Sure! It's only for a week and I love being with my family! Kids don't need to shower every day, the guys can pee outside if necessary. My mom is one of 12 kids growing up with 3 bedrooms and one bathroom. Enjoy your family and don't let a bathroom stop you.

I haven't seen any of my family in almost two years. I'd go for a week without a shower to see them right now.

I think it depends on where it is going to be. If it is on a lake the shower situation becomes less problematic. If it is a vacation where the whole crew needs to constantly get ready to leave for activities together you are going to have a hard time.

Could be fun.

When I was a kid we would go spent a week at my uncles ski condo. You could ski onto the hill almost and they had an outdoor heated pool. The condo was about 400? square feet. We would sometimes be 18 people. 

The condo had one bathroom and the rest was one living space. My brother, myself, and my cousin slept on the floor under the pull out couch. My cousin who was younger and had pee accidents sometimes slept in the bathtub. Other people slept under the kitchen table, in the hallway like spaces, ... My much older cousin (He would have been 20 or so which from my point of view then was all grown up) liked privacy so he had a super fancy sleeping back and slept on the little patio. 

Lots of great memories. We would all get up at the same time. - well as soon as the bathroom line was short and then ski all day, swim all night at the outdoor heated pool and then all go to bed at the same time. 

If it was a roughing it, kids in and out of the water, more like camping vacation, seems doable. If you were all getting ready to go sight see and eat in restaurants every day kind of thing, not so much. It depends on the family too. I'd want to get along pretty well with everyone to deal with that much face to face for a full week. With my own brother and SIL, a weekend would be plenty.

I think with that many people 3-4 showers would be best. 

If there is no alternative shower use must be put on a timer and people must agree to abide by the timer. 

If this is a beach situation, more showers need to be found. Unless you want to spend significant time lined up to use the shower. 

No way, no how.  It will be very hard on the grandparents (statistically speaking, elderly people can have a harder time getting their bodies to "cooperate"  quickly or on time), and all those teens will want their creature comforts, too.   If we were camping, or high up in comfortably cool mountains, it might be different, i.e. if there were no expectation to look decent, one could pull up behind a convenient bush as needed, etc.

Personally? No. One shower isn't going to work for that many people unless you stagger showers over a couple of days. I don't think you could have everyone shower each day. If each person takes a 10 min. shower, it would take 3 hours to get through them.

Well, yeah, but I have two 10-year-old boys who would happily go without showering -- or they might shower off at the outdoor beach shower (if there is one).

My point is that it's possible that only the adults need a daily shower.

There are more toilets, right? That's the part that would freak me out.

Just a thought: but what do you think about purchasing a camping shower? We don't have a large family and the family we do have is not close (emotionally or geographically) so I'm big on making it work if you can! :)

Edited: Just read that you have an outdoor shower.

Alley

If it was a roughing it, kids in and out of the water, more like camping vacation, seems doable. If you were all getting ready to go sight see and eat in restaurants every day kind of thing, not so much. It depends on the family too. I'd want to get along pretty well with everyone to deal with that much face to face for a full week. With my own brother and SIL, a weekend would be plenty.

It does depend on the family. I would be willing to do it and with the right group of people it could be an awesome adventure. But with some types of people it would be absolutely miserable and some people in my family, even though I love them dearly, are in that category.

there is an outside shower..I just discovered that.  I dont know what we will do...but the opinions here have been fun to read....thanks.

For me the number of showers isn't as bothersome as the number of toilets. Cuz when you gotta go, you gotta go! Of course, I may have been influenced over the years by a dh who thinks that any dwelling with more than 1 person in it must have 2 toilets minimum. He'd probably say you really need 4 bathrooms at least for that many people. :D