Menu

I need a new no carb comfort food/snack. :((

Mango

Cheese, evidently raises my cholesterol very quickly 

Nuts make me fat. 

Popcorn is a carb…… :( And fixing it air popped is like chewing on cardboard IMO. 

Fruit is OK in ultra small portions. 

Chocolate, got me in trouble since my last blood test. :(( 

I've been drinking a cuppa hot tea ( by the gallons really) because it fits the bill. 

What I really want is something crunchy to eat along with it that won't mess up my blood sugar or cholesterol.

I need a new snack.

One that won't make me sick

Or make me 10-feet thick!  

Suggestions? I'm a recovering snack-aholic. Please be gentle. 

I know you said no nuts, but this is nut butter, not a handful of nuts.

I love to have a few slices of apple spread with crunchy peanut butter (just a tablespoon or so).  I'm a fan of salty/crunchy snacks and this gives a little crunch, a little salt, a little sweet, and it's pretty filling.  I usually have it before I start cooking dinner.

I'm not a huge snacker, but my kids ask for snacks about 15 times a day...

I can't tell if you want something sweet or not from your post, but I did get that you want something crunchy. What about raw veggies with a dip like hummus? Or pretzels - with or without dip? Or for something sweet, have you tried Belvita biscuits? They are meant for breakfast, but to me they are a cookie. They come 4 to a pack, but I just eat 1 as a snack.

Is it something you want to make yourself? 

Two that I like - not exactly "comfort" food, but maybe it will fit the bill when you want a snack.

dates (the good kind like medjool) spread with almond butter

black bean chips:  like Beanitos:

beanitos_black_bean.jpg

they don't have a ton of taste by themselves, and I personally think the co. should add more salt... but with salsa or something they're quite good.  I think they've come out with other types now too, like chickpea chips.   I can get them locally at health food stores.

Kale chips (google, they are so easy to make and surprisingly delicious)...you can do the same technique with broccoli, too!

Seconded. I was really skeptical about kale chips, but I quite liked them (put enough lemon and seasoning on something, and it will probably taste pretty good).

While I wish you weren't struggling to find a snack, Mango, I have to say I loved your original post. It reads like a Dorothy Parker poem.

I'm not sure I understand - what are your daily proportions of carb/protein/fat typically like?  Are you eating truly low-carb (less than, say, 60 grams per day, as in you're a fat-burner for your main energy source) or you're just trying to lower your carbs a bit but still staying above, say, 150 gm per day (so you're mostly a carb-burner)?

Can you eat fat?  There are low-carb snacks out there called "fat bombs" that can be googled.  Personally, I prefer to make a low-sugar cheesecake.  But, you said no cheese.  Almonds are usually a good bet, but you said no nuts.

I think you should identify what can go into this snack if there are to be no carbs and no fats.  Protein?  (Excess protein can be turned into carbs, so it depends on how much else you're eating the rest of the day.)  Only certain types of fats?

What about low-fat cottage cheese with celery?  Protein and crunch!

I just made pumpkin hummus, too.  You don't get much better than olive oil for your fat and pumpkin for your carb.

Or just a cup of simple soup, like veggie.  Sometimes when I'm craving a snack what I really need is the water, salt, and the bulk of the veggies more than I need a lot of calories.

another vote for Kale chips. Hummus with carrots or cucumbers or baked wholewheat pita chips. Nonfat yoghurt. Craisins, raisins, dried blueberries mixed with pumpkin seed or sunflower seed - either buy this trail mix premade or make it yourself. If I think of anything else, I will post back here.

I loved how your post ended like a poem :)

In my case, I just eat my next meal earlier if I was hungry for a snack and I drink a cup of coffee sometimes (with skim milk).

So are you going no/low carb like a paleo or ketogenic diet? If so then are you okay with lots of fat? Here's a link to some keto desserts that look yummy. How do you react to coconut? Eaten fresh its crunchy and yummy. Jicama is crunchy and yummy too. I like it plain but I know others who like it with lime and a little salt. Good luck!

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketodessert/

I drink a fair amount of tea, and what always tastes good to me is a small handful of baked or toasted coconut chips (sliced, dried coconut meat). You can buy it, but it's easy enough to make.  I'm diabetic so lots of normal snacks are off-limits for me, too.  What I like about coconut chips is that because they're cut so small (mine are like slivers) and are the teeniest bit chewy, a little goes a long way. I just nibble on a few slivers between sips of tea.

I also snack on homemade jerky, and again - a little goes a long way in keeping my stomach satisfied. I can't snack on it with tea because the flavors clash, but I always keep a container on the counter and I pick at it throughout the day.

Lastly, a dessert I like that might work as a snack - parfait. I fill a small ramekin with whole milk yogurt and top with 2-3 almonds or a Tbsp of pumpkin seeds, add 1-2 vanilla-flavored stevia drops, and 2-3 berries. I love berries but can't eat too many without my sugars going wonky. It's not crunchy, but it's easy to make if you have everything already in the pantry. Whole milk yogurt fills me up so the small serving satisfies. The nuts or seeds add that crunch but in too small a number to be a calorie hog. Stevia drops can be omitted but I can't stand plain yogurt. LOL Berries make it feel like a treat.

My husband cycles a low-carb diet and has made the kale chips. I'm not a huge fan, but they're okay - I wouldn't CHOOSE them, but if it were that versus messing up with a worse snack? They're fine in a desperate pinch. He loves them, though, so obviously taste varies!

A no carb (but not nec. healthy) snack that has some crunch are pork rinds, or cracklings, etc.  They are often found in the snack/chip section of the store and occ. in the ethnic section.  No low cal, not low fat, but are carb free and crunchy :-)

I second the microwaved pepperoni. It's really good. It's nice on a little snack plate with a couple celery sticks and a sliced boiled egg.  When we're low carbing, we find snack plates to be better than choosing just one snack.  It takes a bit of prep work but it does cut down on mindless snacking. 

Cocoa Crack!

1/2 cup Coconut oil
1 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
6 packets Stevia (to taste)
1/4 cup slivered Almonds

Mix it all up, pour it on a parchment covered pie tin, throw it in the freezer for about 30 mins... crack and eat!

Have you try roasting chick peas?  They can be sweet or savory depending on what you use.

One of my kids is gluten intolerant and loves to have his sandwiches made on one of those long thin English cucumbers.  Right now, he loves cream cheese on it.  Nice and crunchy.

I used to take egg whites, beat them until stiff, add sweetener (can use Splenda, Stevia, real sugar, whatever), splash of vanilla…and then nuke it or bake it to cook it.  If you nuke it, it's kind of like a sweet omelette.  If you bake it, it becomes more crunchy. Top with strawberries.  Yummy.

I'm going to try to do more broth, particularly bone broth from grass-fed animals. It's very tasty and can be flavored with herbs. It has many healing properties, and I've heard it suppresses appetite. I've had a little in the past, but I need to make a new habit around it. My blood sugar is very high normal and has been for years, including when I was young, very skinny, and exercising regularly, etc. I am hoping to be able to make a dent in the high sugar problem before it turns into full blown diabetes. I am gluten free with a recovering gut--I suspect that is part of my issue with blood sugar. I have to avoid most corn and basically all gluten replacement products because they are too starchy.

If you like nuts, but don't want as much fat, seeds are a good option. I think pistachios are supposed to be better fat-wise also. There is a recipe someplace for seed crackers that uses sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and some herbs for flavor. They are easy to make and very tasty. They do not agree with me for some reason, but the rest of the family really likes them.

Celery, Jerusalem artichokes (a tuber, not an actual artichoke) if you can find them, olives (good fat), raw asparagus. Do you like avocado? I personally think it's disgusting, but it has lots of heart-healthy fat in it.

If products from pastured animals don't negatively affect your cholesterol, I would consider adding in some butter, cheese, milk, eggs, more meat, etc. from those sources. If you have sources for raw dairy, that's supposed to be even better. I feel wonderful when I eat that kind of stuff--the more the better (not all of my cheese is pasture raised though). I am careful about sourcing my fats from well-fed animals, and even though I am (unfortunately) more sedentary, more overweight, and more stressed than I've ever been, my cholesterol has been on a slow downward trend over time, and my triglycerides are good. My highest numbers were when I ate low-fat and exercised all the time (they were high normal then). I realize that is not the case for everyone, but switching to pasture-raised meat was a gift and the best thing I've done besides ditch gluten (I discovered my problems with that accidentally--it's not advice I give broadly). I do take high quality fish oil that contains some kind of other heart-healthy thingy (Shaklee Vitalizer strips), so that probably helps with the cholesterol too.

I'm LCHF. When I want something crunchy, I have pork rinds and dip (made from a combo of mayo and sour cream and whatever herbs/spices you like) or pistachios or macadamias (I know you said no nuts). I also like pepperoni.

Another great snack (I have it mid-morning as  part of my breakfast) is bullet proof bone broth. I usually have chicken broth and just add cream and Kerrygold butter to it. It's awesome! I have been drinking this every weekday morning since last spring and still crave it.  I keep cream and broth in the fridge at work, and just put butter in my mug every morning at home and take in to work. I add the cream and broth to the mug, heat in the microwave and I'm good to go.

I used to make coconut oil fudge, but I've gotten lazy. When I want a chocolate fix that is more than just a small square of dark chocolate, I combine cream, a bit of butter, 90% cacao chocolate and a drop or two of stevia glycerite. I heat it for about 45 seconds in the micro, take it out and stir until all is combined and its thickened a bit. YUM! You can either drink it like a very decadent hot cocoa, or eat it with a spoon.

I'm LCHF. When I want something crunchy, I have pork rinds and dip (made from a combo of mayo and sour cream and whatever herbs/spices you like) or pistachios or macadamias (I know you said no nuts). I also like pepperoni.

Another great snack (I have it mid-morning as  part of my breakfast) is bullet proof bone broth. I usually have chicken broth and just add cream and Kerrygold butter to it. It's awesome! I have been drinking this every weekday morning since last spring and still crave it.  I keep cream and broth in the fridge at work, and just put butter in my mug every morning at home and take in to work. I add the cream and broth to the mug, heat in the microwave and I'm good to go.

I used to make coconut oil fudge, but I've gotten lazy. When I want a chocolate fix that is more than just a small square of dark chocolate, I combine cream, a bit of butter, 90% cacao chocolate and a drop or two of stevia glycerite. I heat it for about 45 seconds in the micro, take it out and stir until all is combined and its thickened a bit. YUM! You can either drink it like a very decadent hot cocoa, or eat it with a spoon.

I have to say that all of this sounds lick-lips.gif and nourishing too.

I'm not sure I understand - what are your daily proportions of carb/protein/fat typically like?  Are you eating truly low-carb (less than, say, 60 grams per day, as in you're a fat-burner for your main energy source) or you're just trying to lower your carbs a bit but still staying above, say, 150 gm per day (so you're mostly a carb-burner)?

Can you eat fat?  There are low-carb snacks out there called "fat bombs" that can be googled.  Personally, I prefer to make a low-sugar cheesecake.  But, you said no cheese.  Almonds are usually a good bet, but you said no nuts.

I think you should identify what can go into this snack if there are to be no carbs and no fats.  Protein?  (Excess protein can be turned into carbs, so it depends on how much else you're eating the rest of the day.)  Only certain types of fats?

lower than 30/day or carbs -- I'm diabetic. :(( Numbers on last blood test were not good, again. Doctor suggested doing another round of super super low carbs. Last time I did this I lost 30 lbs and kept them off and significantly brought my numbers down. 

Cholesterol is a problem. I've got to stick with healthy oils or that problem will even more problematic.  

And to make problems more difficult, I've got to keep things relatively low vitamin K too. I take coumadin (blood thinner) for my artificial heart valve. 

Crunchy is important. So is dip. I'll buy some pork rinds today and give them a try. 

I love hummus. 

I love seaweed. 

I've found that spicy salsa satisfies without increasing any of my problems.

Guacamole is very good, but it doesn't stand alone well. 

Thank you, keep the suggestions coming. I'm going to torture myself with a cleanse, started today. That gives me a bit of time to figure out what else there's left to eat. 

Lots of these ideas look yuuuummmmyyyy! 

But, if you're trying to keep the weight down, you'd need to have really small portions of some of them.  

I don't do portion control at all. I take in around 2200 calories a day and will not gain weight as long as my carbs are around 40 per day. I find that a good size portion is enough to keep the hungries away and feel full. A typical day...Three eggs and sausage in the AM, holds me well into the afternoon. Double cheese burgers on an oopsie roll and a big green salad with chicken for dinner. I find that snacking is very limited. 

Aldi had Belvita!!! I was surprised and pleased. I bought me some. 

I got a four-pack hummus. I love the jalapeño hummus with carrots. No pork rinds or veggie chips. But Aldi does carry veggie chips. I almost bought a bag but remember I'm doing the cleanse for 10 more days. No fried food. But watch out! 

I bought some calmat a olives in olive oil. Yummy. 

My kids are squeezing the chickens and we have 3 eggs for me tomorrow for snack. 

Avocados are loaded in the fridge. :)) 

Salad is available. 

Almonds abound! 

I won't starve. 

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I don't feel that I'm in food hell. 

lower than 30/day or carbs -- I'm diabetic. :(( Numbers on last blood test were not good, again. Doctor suggested doing another round of super super low carbs. Last time I did this I lost 30 lbs and kept them off and significantly brought my numbers down. 

Mango, just wanted to mention that I was diagnosed as diabetic almost 2 years ago and have been eating LCHF ever since. I also stay under 30g carbs a day, probably closer to 20.

Right now my favorite meal is a beef patty (frozen, from Costco), cooked in butter in a skillet. When I flip it over I top it with cheese and I fry an egg in the other half of the skillet. When everything is cooked, I top the patty with the egg and eat. This has really helped me to keep my bs levels down. It must be the right combo of fat to protein. 

Interesting Chocolate Rose. I've noticed that fat plays a bigger role when in lowering my bg when I'm running high than even my medications. It goes down faster. But what to do about the cholesterol? 

Maybe stick to fats like olive oil and coconut oil for the most part, rather than animal-based fats?

I was going to suggest roasted cauliflower. Drizzle it with a couple tablespoons of good olive oil, add a shake or two of salt, and stir it all around in a 9 x 13 pan. Roast at 375 for 30-40 minutes, then take it out, let it cool a bit, and shake on garlic powder (if you like that) and parmesan cheese. I do this and we leave the pan on the stove and pick from it until it's gone. 

Interesting Chocolate Rose. I've noticed that fat plays a bigger role when in lowering my bg when I'm running high than even my medications. It goes down faster. But what to do about the cholesterol? 

Eating LCHF your cholesterol will naturally come down. Stay away from vegetable oils other than some olive and avocado. Coconut oil is an excellent choice. I eat a ton of butter, bacon, etc. Animal fats are actually good as long as you are low carb. My cholesterol was never really high but it keeps coming down. When making the switch to LCHF, I started eating beef again after not eating it for over 25 years. Now, I eat quite a bit of beef, the fattier the better. I also eat a lot of eggs - more than I ever did before. You might consider a ketogenic diet.

Secret confession: I hate the flavor of olive oil. And coconut oil doesn't taste good in everything. 

I know their my options. I use them. But sometimes I just don't eat it, even though I feed it to the family, because I dislike the after-taste.