Menu

Why are public and private school kids so much further ahead in their writing skills

Mommyfaithe

Than my kids....and how can I get mine up to snuff??? y kids will probably be in public or private school for the first time next year. I have been homeschooling for nearly 20 years and really did not worry about it because my older ones were writing well above level by high school.

I have no idea how to teach a 4 th grader how to write a 5 paragraph essay using 3 points from their reading assignment! A 9th grader....well, that is different!

How do I teach them introduction, 3 body paragraphs and conclusion?? What should it include and what type of sentences are appropriate?? I am kind of surprised that this is what is expected of kids and that they are doing it!! My kids act like copying a sentence or 2 is torture of the worst kind!

Is there a book or a program I can use to align them with the standards they will be expected to be able to perform when they start school in the fall??? I really have no time to waste as they will be tested for grade level in the spring.

Thanks!

Faithe

Honestly, they aren't. What they're doing sounds advanced, but if you google sample rubrics, you can see that it's not terribly good quality writing. Having taught college students in writing intensive general ed distribution requirements, I'd rather have the kids who can write whatever they CAN write well (good, solid sentences, good paragraphs, short essays, and so on) than who can write extremely long bad papers. The kids with the solid skills who have never written a paper can learn, with a good style manual and some time reading and maybe a little 1-1 instruction. The kids who have been writing badly for years continue to write badly, and often don't even realize that they don't know how.

As far as how to teach it, Evan Moor has a lot of writing books, as does Scholastic, which are fairly easy, often cheap, and would get the job done, if you're worried about prepping for PS-type writing.

Well first, I wish you many good wishes for your new adventure.  I know you have been on these boards forever, and I am sure your children will do fine.

However, I will tell you how Calvert gets 4th graders to write 5 paragraph essays.  

They start out by writing 1 paragraph using a shape planner.  They first learn the web planner, then the pyramid planner, then they use a 2 paragraph planner.  There might be others but these are the ones we use the most.  Along the way they just increase the writing.  They write 2 compositions every week, so it happens fast enough.  They do about 4 one paragraph and learn about topic sentences and closing sentences.  Then they move onto 2 paragraph and do about 6 of those, meanwhile, reviewing topic sentences, closing sentences and each time focusing on one more "convention" such as exciting verbs, exciting adjectives and time-order words.  Avoid too much creative writing,as this is too much for a 4th grader.  If they try to get creative and write a story, then they get overwhelmed by the amount of physical writing AND they aren't really learning what hte "schools" want them to learn anyway.  ...then, rinse and repeat just doing more amounts each time.  By the end of the year they can do a few 5 paragraph essays but it is a huge huge stretch and I do not think that most 4th graders will turn out anything of quality in a reasonable time frame.  In Calvert, there are 2 or 3 5-paragraph essays assinged at the end of the year, but they are not expected to do them in one sitting.  They have many days to plan, write, revise and finally, copy the final draft.  When I did Calvert 4 with my son it was really too much.  4 paragraphs was the maximum my 10 year olds seem to be able to do, EVEN WITH all the wonderful training and practice they had.

So, that is how it is done.  I do not think it is so easy to do this all yourself, because actually half the battle is choosing the topics.  I have found that my 4th graders cannot choose topics that are reasonable.  They tend to always choose creative writing (which is not the intent of an essay at all), or they tend to choose extremely boring topics which they cannot for the life of them flesh out, or even when they do go with the Calvert suggestion, they even try to pick an event they can't even remember.  I have learned (finally) to not give them a choice unless it's from the Calvert manual, non-fiction, and if it is a narrative, a recent event.  They may balk in the beginning, but then their compositions are much nicer and easier.  So, to me that is the biggest challenge for which I think a curriculum may help.  

I know that Evan Moor has some pretty good books which walk students gently through the 6 trait writing process, but since you only have 6 months I'm not sure that is enough.  I would look at those however, if you decide you need a curriculum, and I would just assign increasingly longer compositions until they are up to where you think they need to be. 

Also, call the school and see about getting some goals.  You don;t want to work toward a difficult goal, if it isn't necessary.

When my dd was in 4th grade, we worked though Evan-Moor's Paragraph Book, and when we finished that, dd wrote a 5-paragraph essay on falcons. Personally, I don't find the 5-paragraph essay to be an unreasonable assignment for some 4th graders. However, my ds is in 5th this year, and he could not independently (or even semi-independently) accomplish a 5-paragraph essay. It just depends on the kid. Really, a 5 paragraph essay is 3 paragraphs with an intro an a conclusion. If you spend some time working on each type of paragraph, and then kids pick a topic, write the various types of paragraphs, and string them together, well ... you have a 5-paragraph essay.

It's just a really different path.  Public schools have kids learn the forms early and let them sort of purposefully write them poorly and build them up to where they can get better at them over time.  The benefit is early writing and a focus on organization.  The danger is students who can only think in formulas for writing and can't get beyond "the rules".  

Most homeschoolers tend to focus on learning good sentences and words, then good paragraphs and then finally introducing the forms when the students can do them reasonably well from the start.  The benefit is focusing on a strong foundation and nurturing quality at every level.  I personally think it is also more likely to foster students who enjoy writing or at least don't fear it because they're never thrown in over their heads.  The danger is delaying too long and letting skills stagnate instead of continuing to build on them.  And, of course, having a kid who suddenly has to go into b&m school, because then you're asked to drive on the other side of the road without warning.

One way to teach it is to observe it through narrations.  When my 8 year old does narrations I write it out in note taking form on the white board with the main idea at the top left and then the details just underneath and slightly to the right.

Maybe you should look into Writing With Ease and Writing with Skill books by Susan Wise Bauer. If your kids aren't ready for that yet maybe you need to brush up on the basics with her First Language Lessons book.

Shirley English does it. Very much to a formula. I think all three that we have done 2, 4, 6, had some version of the build up. I know 6 did five paragraph papers. I would not buy Shirley in order to get that portion but if you know someone with a copy I would borrow it. Take a good look at Scholastic, they should have something reasonably priced.

I had to stop teaching formulas before doing other types of more freeform writing.

I had a student freeze and ask for help writing a birthday card, having no confidence whatsoever about being able to accomplish something she had been doing for decades. She was trying to apply rigid forms that didn't work.

My new favorite quote is by Kathy Jo, about not spending lots of time on something that doesn't produce fruit. In MY situation, too early introduction of forms was not only not producing fruit, but it was impairing a student's ability in daily life. I had to pull WAY back and reorder what I was teaching when.

If I knew I was going to be placing a child in PS, that would be different. Better to not be able to write a birthday card than be frozen as school. Especially for some kids in some schools.

If I am going to introduce forms to a low level student I like Write On! Check out lessons 15 and 16.

http://www.kid-friendly-homeschool-curriculum.com/homeschool-writing-program.html

Here is the free teacher guide and it includes printable versions of 15 and 16, as well as some excellent general advice about teaching writing.

http://www.kid-friendly-homeschool-curriculum.com/support-files/writeoninstructorsguide.pdf

It's hard to see, but here is the lesson plan for adding introductions and conclusions. It allows the student to just outline the body paragraphs so they can focus on just the new ideas of adding an introduction and conclusion. It really is an ingenious idea.

http://www.kid-friendly-homeschool-curriculum.com/writing-introductions-and-conclusions.html

Worksheet at Wayback Machine

http://web.archive.org/web/20130122070655/http://www.kid-friendly-homeschool-curriculum.com/support-files/writeon37.pdf

Sometimes I can get a link to a printable worksheet for lesson 37 about the introductions and conclusions, using wayback machine.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130122070655/http://www.kid-friendly-homeschool-curriculum.com/support-files/writeon37.pdf

If this doesn't work, put the main website address into Wayback, and click on contests, and you should be able to find the worksheet.

We know how you know, Bill. Suppose you repost your information on how they get there so your experience can be of use to the OP.

Not only that, Bill....but specific materials I can use. This is NOT a move I am making happily, and I am STILL looking for a way to make it not happen, but if it does, they need preparation in this one area. Everywhere else, we are good.

Anyway, I always focused on quality over quantity. WWE will not get us where we need to go quickly or thoroughly enough. If I had years, yes.. But I literally only have weeks! So, help!!

I had to stop teaching formulas before doing other types of more freeform writing.

I had a student freeze and ask for help writing a birthday card, having no confidence whatsoever about being able to accomplish something she had been doing for decades. She was trying to apply rigid forms that didn't work.

My new favorite quote is by Kathy Jo, about not spending lots of time on something that doesn't produce fruit. In MY situation, too early introduction of forms was not only not producing fruit, but it was impairing a student's ability in daily life. I had to pull WAY back and reorder what I was teaching when.

If I knew I was going to be placing a child in PS, that would be different. Better to not be able to write a birthday card than be frozen as school. Especially for some kids in some schools.

I always followed a CM writing scope, copy, dictation, narration, emilation, opinion pieces, compare contrasting works etc. we usually got to 5 paragraph essays in 7 th or 8th grade...and by then they were able to use their writing and critical thinking skills to produce "twaddle-free" compositions. Funny thing is, 2 of my kids weren't ready for this stage until 11th grade.....and then they took off, and had near perfect SAT English scores, and straight A's in all their language based classes! I KNOW my method works! I KNOW it produces great writers, because I have done that! I just do not have the time......

Actually, at good schools 4th Grade students are working on writing strong 5 paragraph essays, with strong sentences and good vocabulary. The notion they are just going sloppy work is completely false. Ask me how I know.

Bill (father of a 4th Grader)

We know how you know, Bill. Suppose you repost your information on how they get there so your experience can be of use to the OP.

Not only that, Bill....but specific materials I can use. This is NOT a move I am making happily, and I am STILL looking for a way to make it not happen, but if it does, they need preparation in this one area. Everywhere else, we are good.

Anyway, I always focused on quality over quantity. WWE will not get us where we need to go quickly or thoroughly enough. If I had years, yes.. But I literally only have weeks! So, help!!

The thing is, the good schools producing good writers do it gradually-------just like good homeschoolers producing good writers.

I really wish I could help you, Mommyfaithe. I've been sitting here, trying to explain how my kids were taught writing in their school. I know in first grade they focused on one or two solid sentences with good vocabulary, spelling, and punctuation. In second grade they learned about themes and topic sentences. In third grade I know they were writing well-constructed paragraphs and in fourth they were writing multiple paragraphs. (We pulled dd13 after fourth. My experiences with the older kids is a bit fuzzy, though I do remember introducing MLA format in sixth grade. They were expected to use MLA properly in seventh grade.)

My baby sister (19 yrs younger) went to a small Catholic school known for its good writers. All they did was expose kids to examples of good writing and have them write an essay a day from third grade to sixth grade.

I think I might have them read a sample essay every day, maybe with a prompt that the author might have based it around. There are books of sample college admissions essays. Having a library of the forms and language in their heads will help a lot. They'll know what they're aiming for. 

I'd also get them writing daily. You could do freewrites for those who really struggle or give them prompts. (There are lists of them on the internet, if you Google.) Just get them in the habit of putting thought to paper for lengthy periods of time each day. Their hands will need to adjust, too. Require a number of words for the kids who are more competent with a pencil and a number of minutes (maybe 20 working up to 60) for reluctant writers.

I remember our exchange a few years ago and have thought of your family periodically as I have struggled to keep my kids out of school despite circumstances. I will pray and cross fingers and such that you and your kids will be well served by whatever happens next.

It's just a really different path.  Public schools have kids learn the forms early and let them sort of purposefully write them poorly and build them up to where they can get better at them over time.  The benefit is early writing and a focus on organization.  The danger is students who can only think in formulas for writing and can't get beyond "the rules".  

Most homeschoolers tend to focus on learning good sentences and words, then good paragraphs and then finally introducing the forms when the students can do them reasonably well from the start.  The benefit is focusing on a strong foundation and nurturing quality at every level.  I personally think it is also more likely to foster students who enjoy writing or at least don't fear it because they're never thrown in over their heads.  The danger is delaying too long and letting skills stagnate instead of continuing to build on them.  And, of course, having a kid who suddenly has to go into b&m school, because then you're asked to drive on the other side of the road without warning.

This was such a good explanation. 

I KNOW my method works! I KNOW it produces great writers, because I have done that! I just do not have the time......

I know. :grouphug:

That's why, in the next post, I sent you some links that I think are the most efficient way to get from where you are to where you want to go, in the time limit specified.

I was meaning to support what you have been doing, but it might have come across as critique of what you need to do now. Sorry.

Faithe,

I had no idea that you were facing this decision for next yr.  (((((hugs))))

My recommendation would probably be Sadlier-Oxford's grammar/writing books.  https://www.sadlier-oxford.com/grammar/ 

I would use the 6th grade book for both the 4th and 6th graders and simply give the 4th grader more leeway.

The only other program I can think to recommend would be Writers Inc., but I like the Sadlier books better.  There is a thread on the Logic forum about Warriners, but I know nothing about it.

I'll second Tara's rec for the Evan Moor Daily Paragraph Editing. I have the 4th grade book and I'm planning to do a "writing intensive" over Christmas break with Trinqueta to prep her for a writing class in the spring. I think you could pick and choose what you need form this book to get up to speed and then teach the 5 paragraph form and do one as a final project.

Good luck!

I always followed a CM writing scope, copy, dictation, narration, emilation, opinion pieces, compare contrasting works etc. we usually got to 5 paragraph essays in 7 th or 8th grade...and by then they were able to use their writing and critical thinking skills to produce "twaddle-free" compositions. Funny thing is, 2 of my kids weren't ready for this stage until 11th grade.....and then they took off, and had near perfect SAT English scores, and straight A's in all their language based classes! I KNOW my method works! I KNOW it produces great writers, because I have done that! I just do not have the time......

You already know how to make great writers, and you know it takes time and practice.   You don't have a lot of time.   You probably need to increase how much practice they get.

My older dd's school scores top in the state for writing (and other things).  They do not do any writing test prep.  They just have a great writing program that focuses on expository writing and strong grammar.  They learn to write good sentences then they learn to write strong paragraphs using supporting evidence.  After that they learn about sentence variety, sound variety and word choice.   Later, they will learn more, but she's only in seventh grade.

They write in every class.  They write full sentence answers to questions everyday in history.  They write complete paragraphs for history quizzes.  They take notes from their book daily in science and in class from the lecture.  They get their notebooks checked daily to make sure they are taking notes.  They write in English class  and take notes.  They write out translations in Latin.  They write definitions in math along with descriptions of processes and problems.   They write speeches for public performance class and give speeches in assembly to the whole school.

Last year, my dd's hand frequently hurt from all the writing.  This year, she doesn't even notice how much she writes.

WWE will not get us where we need to go quickly or thoroughly enough. If I had years, yes.. But I literally only have weeks! So, help!!

As a mum of two asynchronous public school kids, I can say that their schools and teachers have never gave me grieve over their "sub standard" writing.

For the five paragraph essay, kids are given a format to fill up at the beginning. Like write your introduction here followed by a few blank lines for the child to fill in. Then point 1,2,3 with blank lines after each point. Followed by conclusion and blank lines again. It is still guided at the 4th grade stage. Book review has a guided format too. So at 4th grade there is still plenty of hand holding in public schools.

Scholastic has free templates to print which teachers do use. 

ETA:

My 4th grader's teacher use similar templates to this 27 page pdf

If you have Teacher File box, you can print the Paragraph writing, daily 6 traits writing, and many of the other writing books as well. I've found that to be helpful simply because usually DD only needs specific skills and I can pick and choose what works for her (and avoid the writing prompts that are just plain not relevant to her. Eventually, before the SAT, she'll need to be able to write about anything, but for now, I'd rather avoid the ones that are things like "Should students be allowed to chew gum in class?".

My kiddo is in a private school for bright/gifted dyslexics. I promise that your children probably write just as well as her, lol.

FWIW, the tutors/teachers at dd's school are far more concerned with quality than technique right now. When I expressed concern to her headmaster about her papers, he reminded me that he first had to make her *not hate* writing, then technique and quantity would come (sure enough, if it's coming along nicely!).

Have a son in public 3rd grade, and one who was in public 3rd grade last year.  They focused on formulasĂ¢â‚¬Â¦. last year, they would underline various things in different colors, this year it's something different.  Goal is to get them ready for the writing section in 4th grade for the standardized test, the FCAT.

Honestly, both my boys did write good multi-paragraph compositionsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦but I think that's in spite of the formulas, rather than because of them.  They've been exposed to lots of literatureĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and that paid off.  I read through a bunch of different compositions on the wall--and the quality varied tremendously.  So, just because your DC can't do it now, but perhaps can write one good paragraphĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ the teachers can work with that.  I would start with one good paragraphĂ¢â‚¬Â¦and then move to twoĂ¢â‚¬Â¦three, etc.  

Here's a sample form to use.  I think my son's teacher used something baseball related, as she loved baseball.

http://abettermedaybyday.com/2011/04/05/simple-5-paragraph-essay-outline-form-for-kids/

Look for some topics online, and then work on one each week.  I'm sure you'll be fine by next year.

They write in every class.  They write full sentence answers to questions everyday in history.  They write complete paragraphs for history quizzes.  They take notes from their book daily in science and in class from the lecture.  They get their notebooks checked daily to make sure they are taking notes.  They write in English class  and take notes.  They write out translations in Latin.  They write definitions in math along with descriptions of processes and problems.   They write speeches for public performance class and give speeches in assembly to the whole school.

Last year, my dd's hand frequently hurt from all the writing.  This year, she doesn't even notice how much she writes.

I feel this is why my dds who are in ps are strong writers. They even have projects and essays due in PE. They fill up a three subject binder in most classes each semester (they have 7 classes). They also do a lot of peer editing with teacher supervision which has helped mine see things they might not necessarily see in their own writing.

The thing is, the good schools producing good writers do it gradually-------just like good homeschoolers producing good writers.

I really wish I could help you, Mommyfaithe. I've been sitting here, trying to explain how my kids were taught writing in their school. I know in first grade they focused on one or two solid sentences with good vocabulary, spelling, and punctuation. In second grade they learned about themes and topic sentences. In third grade I know they were writing well-constructed paragraphs and in fourth they were writing multiple paragraphs. (We pulled dd13 after fourth. My experiences with the older kids is a bit fuzzy, though I do remember introducing MLA format in sixth grade. They were expected to use MLA properly in seventh grade.)

Exactly. It is a progression, and not a "quick fix."

This is the same progression of skills students in my son's school have been working on. I (we) may get hammered for saying it, but it takes years of work, and students in good schools (and their teachers) put in the work.

People can be delusional and pretend all the writing in public schools is substandard drivel, or they can take have a reality check. One option is in the better interests of their children.

Bill

Can't we just stay on topic?  The poor lady is trying to figure out how to roll with an unexpected punch that life just gave her and usually I like a good discussion, but that's not what this thread is about.  IMO if someone suddenly had to do something different than she has done for 20 years and it's kind of a surprise, we should be trying to help not discussing the abstract issues at hand.

Exactly. It is a progression, and not a "quick fix."

This is the same progression of skills students in my son's school have been working on. I (we) may get hammered for saying it, but it takes years of work, and students in good schools (and their teachers) put in the work.

People can be delusional and pretend all the writing in public schools is substandard drivel, or they can take have a reality check. One option is in the better interests of their children.

Bill

I don't think it takes yrs to achieve 4th grade level writing. I'm sure Faithe will be able to get her child to that pt. It isn't as if her kids have been in a vacuum w/zero education up to this pt. 4th grade writing is just not that sophisticated of a level of achievement.

A student entering at a level requiring supporting evidence and documentation that is not writing multiple paragraphs.....they would have a hurdle to overcome. But 4th grade multiple paragraphs is more than doable over several months.

I would start freewriting every day. You set a timer for 5-10 minutes (you may want to work up to more for your 6th grader) and write. I would do something like write from history on Monday, lit on Tuesday, science on Wednesday, and a writing prompt on Thursday. I would still do your chosen writing program (sorry, can't help there) on top of the freewrites. Just getting words on paper can be hard and I think freewriting will help.

HTH. I don't know what is behind this change, but (((hugs))).

If you know what school they'll be attending, can you contact the teachers there and ask what is expected of a child entering those grades?

The biggest thing is usually that you need to greatly increase the quantity of writing. They may or may not still do journal writing at that stage too, so the freewriting would help with that. But basically, I'd want to know from those teachers what they expect, because it doesn't really help you to compare to schools that are different. If your school has kids just writing a paragraph using a graphical organizer and someone else's school has kids writing 5-paragraph essays with MLA citations, you don't need to prepare for the other person's school. ;)

Also, I imagine your kids will probably adapt fairly quickly. Kids are amazingly flexible.

:grouphug:

I really don't know what to suggest for a "crash course." If you have been focusing on "quality" that is a good start. You should disabuse yourself of the notion that good schools aren't aiming for high-quality writing. I know that's the "party-line" that's often used to rationalize being behind, but you'll have a better go if you leave this sort of thinking aside.

Writing standards will obviously vary from school to school, and district to district. Hope your school has high stardards for writing, even if it is hard at first. The good news is students can get caught up. They will have to work. 4th Graders in good schools have not mastered writing. They are learning. Is a process.

Take a deep breath. You and they will gave some work to do. Don't panic. This is not insurmountable. Please don't get freaked out. I do not wish to make any anxieties you may be feeling worse.

We use MCT at home to augment what happens in school (and like it very much).

Best wishes,

Bill

I don't think it takes yrs to achieve 4th grade level writing.

I agree. I started my previous post hours ago (but got interrupted by a business meeting). Kids in good schools do build up in a steady progression with their writing. They are further along than the "conventional wisdom" on this forum assumes. However, it is nothing that application of effort couldn't overcome.

I'm sure Faithe will be able to get her child to that pt. It isn't as if her kids have been in a vacuum w/zero education up to this pt. 4th grade writing is just not that sophisticated of a level of achievement.

A student entering at a level requiring supporting evidence and documentation that is not writing multiple paragraphs.....they would have a hurdle to overcome. But 4th grade multiple paragraphs is more than doable over several months.

Like you, I am optimistic.

Bill

Up here in Washington State many schools are using something called C.I.A. Reading.  All of the writing comes from that, and it's very intense. My DS8 will write the same paper for almost three, draft after draft after draft after draft.. The kids and teachers really work hard. 

I have a blog post of what CIA reading is all about, but I can't get the hyperlink to work. I'd be interested in knowing if other states are using CIA too, but I don't mean to hijack the post!

I don't have a suggestion for specific materials, but I do remember how I learned the 5 paragraph essay. 

We started by learning to outline. That was key. So for the first paragraph we would have a main idea and 2-3 sub-ideas. These were not full sentences. Same for the other paragraphs. Once the outline was completed it was much easier to create the sentences and follow the formula.

Last week's third grade writing assignment in our local PS was to write down "why I am kind" on a piece of paper, then draw lines and list reasons. They are teaching writing paragraphs. Fourth graders are ahead, but you get the picture. I would get EPS paragraph books and check out Evan Moor 6 trait workbooks. She will be fine.

I agree with all of the posters who said to initially work on teaching your children to write a good quality paragraph.  Once they can do that, extending a report to three paragraphs is only a matter of writing more.  Then work on adding the introductory paragraph to a three-paragraph report, and finally teach the concluding paragraph.  If your kids can become competent with the structure of a 5-paragraph composition, they should be at least average in writing in a public school.  After that, you can work with them on style (word choice, sentence variety).

I don't know what resources are best.  I have bought various levels of The Paragraph Book which has been recommended often by Crimson Wife but have not used them personally.  Starting with something like this or the Evan-Moor recommendation would probably be your best strategy.  If you want to teach style, the fastest and most effective program I know of is IEW (Student Writing Intensive DVD's).  You could do that concurrently with the paragraph writing program.  This is actually I do in real life with good results. 

I also agree with the posters who say to increase the amount of writing every day. 

:grouphug:

One option might be to speed up the CM process of narration/copywork/dictation.  Daily have them narrate a paragraph while you scribe it down.  They copy their own paragraph.  Move gradually (but quickly) on to dictating their paragraphs to them.  Do the entire process every day instead of spreading it all out into short lessons.  

I have no idea how successful that would be, but that was my first thought when I was considering the same thing.

I do think there is something lost when you speed things up beyond what "fits," but sometimes we just have to do the best we can with the information and resources we have at the time.  I will be praying that you are able to continue HSing, whatever troubles have come your way.  

I agree with the journaling suggestion from others. So much of learning to write well and with confidence is born of quantity. Quantity is not a bad thing. Making the connection between brain and paper as smooth and seamless as possible is one of the most important aspects of writing, and that only happens through quantity. Journaling is just a great way to build a strong, fluid brain-to-paper relationship.

Good luck, Faithe. I'm sure your kids will be fine. Even if some of the expectations are new, they have a strong language foundation and a committed, involved mom. They will adapt quickly. ((Hugs))

Wow! Thanks everyone! I did not get to read everything yet, or click all the links, but I sure will!! My 4 th grader wrote an excellent paragraph today! I had him narrate then copy. His hand did not fall off and he did not die...and neither did anyone lose < grin>.

I am not panicking....yet.....almost. This s going to be a big adjustment for us all if it happens. I am working like a fiend to avoid sending them to the schools here.....but, if I have to....I need to make the changes as pain free as possible for them.

Life is one wild ride after another.....sigh.

Wow! Thanks everyone! I did not get to read everything yet, or click all the links, but I sure will!! My 4 th grader wrote an excellent paragraph today! I had him narrate then copy. His hand did not fall off and he did not die...and neither did anyone lose < grin>.

I am not panicking....yet.....almost. This s going to be a big adjustment for us all if it happens. I am working like a fiend to avoid sending them to the schools here.....but, if I have to....I need to make the changes as pain free as possible for them.

Life is one wild ride after another.....sigh.

That is encouraging!

Hold out hope.

Yes it is...a wild ride!  sigh...

My Dad was curriculum supervisor for his school district, among the best in PA.  While he was there, the 5 paragraph essay was banned from the district.  I wouldn't sweat it too much if your child writes something better than that mechanical stuff.  It's fine for teaching structured writing to struggling writers, but not really something to aspire to for average to better students.

I like what a lot of PP have said . . . don't line up homeschool students with public school students in terms of year to year "what are they doing?"  It's like trying to line up students who are doing a four-year history and/or science cycle with what the public school kids are doing-- it simply won't match up.  Built up writing from a great foundation.  If you haven't yet, start with a strong grammar program such as Michael Clay Thompson or Rod and Staff.  Add in a good writing program such as Kilgallon, Writing WIth Ease/Writing With Skill, or IEW (among others you could choose from).  History Odyssey by Pandia Press does a nice job of gradually building writing, outlining, and notetaking skills across the program.  If you are working toward re-integrating the kids into public school, go with the suggestions people have made in terms of the Evan Moore materials that use the graphs and charts; that will match up well with what many kids have seen in schools, PLUS the strong, foundational grammar.  

If your child is really writing reluctant, do not dismiss the value to be found in copywork.  WWE and Bravewriter integrate this skill into a writing program very well.  Fun, short, non-threatening assignments can be found in the book "Unjournaling," a book full of 'non-invasive' writing prompts that may only take a few minutes a day to fulfill for the reluctant writer (they will not lead to multi-paragraph entries unless you get creative and expand upon a favorite assignment once every two or three weeks or so).

Have fun.  But don't sweat the 5-paragraph essay, unless you have a specific reason for doing so, such as supporting a struggling writer or someone who needs exceptional help with structure.  And certainly ditch that structure by graduation for a college-bound student.

We used Writing Skills book 1 for ds to help get him up to speed for public school writing. They have several books targeted at different grade levels. Book 1 had essay at the end of the book and spent most of the time on different type paragraphs. but I still thought it was great since essays are just expanded paragraphs in a sense. We also use word webs for essays and paragraphs. I do feel it helped him and it can be easily done before next school year..

http://www.rainbowresource.com/searchspring.php?q=writing+skills