Menu

SOUP!!

Mommyfaithe

I posted this recipe for white chicken chili in another thread...

No real recipe,I just kind of guesstimate the amounts...

Pacifica chicken broth; I use at least one full 946 mL container.

Deboned chicken

Chopped fresh celery

Chopped onion

Kidney beans, but I have used garbanzo, great northern, or pinto beans

One packet McCormick white chili mix

I usually cook it in the crock pot.

Before serving, sprinkle with shredded cheese, almost any type is good, but we like extra sharp cheddar. Tortilla strips are also good.

I'm sure a good cook or recipe site would have seasoning options that don't inc

volve using a mix, but the McCormick's has no added msg, to my knowledge. My MIL is allergic to MSG and doesn't react to it.

Some of my favorites.  Most of these can be tossed in the crockpot.

Corn Chowder

6 slices bacon, chopped

1 medium onion, diced

3 or 4 medium red-skinned potatoes, diced, but not peeled

4 cups fresh or frozen sweet corn kernels

1 cup chopped celery

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

4 cups chicken broth

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups non-fat milk

1 15-ounce can butter beans, drained and finely mashed with a fork

1.  Saute the bacon pieces over medium-high in a large soup pot until crispy.  Remove the bacon crumbles and set aside, leaving the drippings in the pot.

2. Reduce the heat to medium and add the diced onion to the bacon drippings.  Cook the onions until soft and translucent, but not browned at all.  Add the potatoes, corn, celery, salt, pepper and chicken broth to the pot.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover.  Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potato is soft and cooked through.

3.  Combine the flour and the milk in a bowl and whisk together until smooth.  Slowly stir the milk mixture into the soup.  Bring back to just-boiling, stirring frequently to prevent the flour from sticking to the bottom of the pot.  Once the soup begins bubbling, reduce the heat back to a simmer.

4.  Stir in the can of finely mashed butter beans.  Cook for another 10 minutes or so, until completely heated through.  Stir the bacon crumbles into the soup or use as a garnish to top the soup.

French Lentil and Vegetable Soup

by Ina Garten

Serving Size : 12

16 ounces lentils — Small French green lentils are preferred over the larger brown ones.
boiling water
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 large onions — chopped
3 cloves garlic — minced
2 large leeks — white and tender green parts only, chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon ground cumin
8 whole celery ribs — chopped
6 medium carrots — diced into 1/2″ pieces
3 quarts chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tablespoons dry red wine — or red wine vinegar

In a large heatproof bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large pot (at least 5 quart size). Add onions, garlic, leeks, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.

Add the carrots and celery and cook until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, lentils, and tomato paste to the pot. Increase the heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are very tender (about 1 hour).

Stir in red wine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil if desired, and a sprinkling of grated Parmesan.

**BY all means, replace the chicken broth with a good mushroom or veggie broth for a vegetarian version of this soup.

Cheddar Chicken Chowder

from Cooking Light magazine

2 bacon slices
Cooking spray
1 pound skinned and boned chicken breast — cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
2 garlic cloves — minced
4 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 3/4 cups diced peeled red potatoes
2 1/4 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups 2% low-fat milk
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese — (3 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook bacon in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Crumble; set aside.

Add chicken, onion, bell pepper, and garlic to bacon fat in pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add broth and potatoes; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add corn; stir well.Place flour in a bowl. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended; add to soup. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper. Top with crumbled bacon.

Northwoods Bean Soup

from Cooking Light magazine

1  cup  baby carrots, halved

1  cup  chopped onion

2  garlic cloves, minced

7  ounces  turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

4  cups  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth

1/2  teaspoon  dried Italian seasoning

1/2  teaspoon  black pepper

2  (15.8-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed

1  (6-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach leaves

Directions:

Heat a large saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, garlic, and kielbasa; sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes. Add the broth, Italian seasoning, pepper, and beans. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

Place 2 cups of the soup in a food processor or blender, and process until smooth. Return the pureed mixture to pan. Simmer an additional 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat. Add the spinach, stirring until spinach wilts.

oh, I need some recipes too! This week is our break and I am going to prep some crockpot soups to put in the freezer! 

DH loves broth based soups, but my problem is the broth is not usually "rich" enough, make sense? Any tips (we do not use pre made broth)??

Links are good ;)

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/soups/squash_chipotle_soup.html

( i skipped the chipotle sauce and put some of the sauce spices in the soup)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/delicious-ham-and-potato-soup/detail.aspx

I've actually changed this almost entirely - i usually make it with smoked turkey legs, which i simmer in half water / half stock until tender enough to remove the meat, then return the bones with the vegetables - later I add some cooked white beans, a head of kale, and return the meat.  this is one of my family's favorites.  

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean-chicken-chili/detail.aspx i add more beans, some white and some black, sub tomatillos with rotel, and use frozen corn

i'm gluten and dairy free, so mine are all free of cream or canned soups

oh, I need some recipes too! This week is our break and I am going to prep some crockpot soups to put in the freezer!

DH loves broth based soups, but my problem is the broth is not usually "rich" enough, make sense? Any tips (we do not use pre made broth)??

Links are good ;)

Make a roux (equally parts flour and fat) and cook on medium-high heat, whisking constantly. For a lighter color, just cook until the roux doesn't have a raw smell. For heavier, meatier soups, cook to your preferred level. I usually make it slightly brown (it has a nutty smell) for beef stew. Gumbo cooks the roux right to the edge of burnt. Proportions roux to liquid are your preference. For me, brown gravy is 1/4 cup each flour and fat to 2 cups stock. A heavy soup might have 3-4 cups stock to the same amount of roux. Light soup, 5-6 cups.

ETA: this can also make a "cream of xxx" replacement. Substitute milk (or cream if you want to get really rich) for a portion of the stock. For cream of chicken, I just use stock. For cream of mushroom, I use equal parts milk and stock.

Make a roux (equally parts flour and fat) and cook on medium-high heat, whisking constantly. For a lighter color, just cook until the roux doesn't have a raw smell. For heavier, meatier soups, cook to your preferred level. I usually make it slightly brown (it has a nutty smell) for beef stew. Gumbo cooks the roux right to the edge of burnt. Proportions roux to liquid are your preference. For me, brown gravy is 1/4 cup each flour and fat to 2 cups stock. A heavy soup might have 3-4 cups stock to the same amount of roux. Light soup, 5-6 cups.

Can I use something other than flour? (DS9 is gluten free) Or what about just adding some butter? I usually add some butter to my chowder soups....

Can I use something other than flour? (DS9 is gluten free) Or what about just adding some butter? I usually add some butter to my chowder soups....

Off the top of my head:

* Cornstarch will thicken a soup, but it can't be overcooked or it will "break" releasing the liquid back into the soup.

* rice flour: I don't think you'll need to make a roux. Just pour some warm stock into a bowl, whisk in the rice flour, add the slurry back to the soup, and cook until the raw taste goes away. No idea of the amount needed.

* gluten-free bread: purée some shredded bread with warm stock (don't overfill the blender!) Stir it into the soup and cook until thick. Again, no idea of proportion but start with one slice and add until it's the consistency you like.

ETA: I'd probably start with any of these gluten-free flour substitutes and see which one tastes the best (http://allrecipes.com/howto/using-alternative-flours/).

I'm making this butternut squash soup at this very moment. Note: Do NOT cube and peel raw squash. That is insanity. Cut in half and bake at 350, cut side down, for an hour. Peel and use.

Also, I use half the amount of cream cheese called for and it's still rich and delicious! I crave this soup as soon as it gets cool outside!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-soup/detail.aspx

gluten free - i've heard of making a roue with corn flour or sweet rice flour - sweet rice seems odd since its actually a starch, though, but some ppl swear by it.  I often thicken things with corn starch dissolved in water or (soy) milk.  But i actually have a creamed corn recipe which uses corn MEAL cooked in the butter first (i use oil) and then stir in the milk.  So not a bean or nut flour for thickening, but really any grain will work.  Not thickening it just makes a thinner soup - chowders, though, can thicken over time just from the potatoes and corn releasing their starches in to the soup, that wont work as well for other kinds of soups. 

Does anyone have a non-tomato based hamburger soup??? :bigear:  My friend's mom used to make a soup she called "steak soup" in the crockpot. It was ground meat with mixed veges (think the bag of frozen veges: corn, carrots, peas, lima beans, green beans, etc). I am not a big fan of soup, but I liked this one.  No pasta, potatoes or rice. And kind of thick a bit,maybe she used the roux??? I am 99% sure there were no tomato chunks, but maybe she used tomato paste?? The color was kind of brown, not red or orange...

When I google "steak soup" I get a KC Steak soup (which we lived in KC, so that might be it), but it doesn't look the same.

You know, I love soup. However, it never seems to be very filling for really long if it doesn't have a ton of beans or protein in it. I also love creamy soups using butter and heavy cream but then my head screams IT ISN'T HEALTHY DON'T EAT IT!!!!!! However, now my little mind ponders, IF we have cut out the meat or most in a recipe, and it is mostly vegetable, does the heavy cream and butter hurt us or is it in fact an appropriate and healthy addition to allow this soup to last us nutritionally longer?

Dd loves butternut squash soup.

I chop up butternut squash, a yellow onion, and some rosemary. I then toss it with olive oil, salt, and pepper,  and then throw it in a pan in the oven. 

I have a really nice knife so this is easily accomplished. If you don't have a nice knife just chop the squash in half and then brush on olive oil.

After the squash and onions are roasted (one would need to scoop out the squash if you did not peel it earlier) I throw it in a pot with some broth and coconut milk (one can use cream here, I can't have dairy) then I just use the immersion blender on it. If you don't have an immersion blender then toss in a regular blender.  I then toss it in the pot and cook a bit more if necessary. I would just add broth and then the coconut milk until it seems good to you. I like to top it with roasted pumpkin seeds.

That's it. It is super easy and super yummy. The way I make it, it is pretty healthy. It is also good with chopped bacon, that makes it less healthy. :lol:

I'll play because I have many recipes from the Hive that I just love.  It's good to give back :)

this one is a yearly ritual - about to teach my girls to make it themselves

http://plantoeat.com/recipes/183818

This feeds an army, is crockpot friendly and the taste is perfection with basmati rice.  We live on this over the winter.

3 Cups Moong Beans OR red lentils (rinsed)
9 Cups water
3 vegetable boullion cubes
3 tsp salt
2 tsp chili powder
dash pepper
1 1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Dal Masala (purchase at Indian food store)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cinammon
1 onion -- diced
5 cloves garlic -- minced
1 inch piece of ginger -- frozen and then grated
2 28 oz can diced tomatoes, juice and all. (add last -- 1 hour before serving)
Cook on high for about 4 hours or low for 8 and serve over basmati rice!

Not the souper :) healthiest thing on the planet but SOOO good

I just posted about this one but in case you missed it - amazingly comforting

This is more summery but uhmazing

and last but not least my dh's all time favorite - AND HEALTHY to boot -  a real winner!
Make Ahead Moroccan Stew - crockpot and pantry friendly and cheap!  If you make it, let me know.  I'm seriously in love with this recipe.

Here's a few more.  Adding a few with tomatoes too.  I love soup, can you tell?

Beef Stir-Fry Soup

(This looks long and daunting, but use whatever veggies you have on hand and it goes quick!)

2 teaspoons peanut oil

1/2 large onion, sliced

1 carrot, peeled and bias cut

1 celery stalk, sliced thin on the bias

2 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed, sliced thin

1 small zucchini, diced

1/2 red bell pepper, diced

2-3 stalks bok choy, stems diced, leaves chopped and set aside

1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger

2 cloves garlic, minced

4 cups beef broth

1 cup water

1/4 cup oyster sauce

3 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce

black pepper

3 scallions, chopped

1 can baby cut corn, drained and cut into bite sized pieces

3 cups leftover roast beef, diced

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

4 ounces cooked lo mein noodles

sesame seeds and sriracha sauce for garnish (optional)

Directions:

In a soup pot, heat the peanut oil over medium heat.  Add the onion slices, carrots, celery and portobello mushrooms.  Cook for 3-4 minutes.

Add the zucchini, bell pepper and bok choy stems. Cook and stir for another 3 minutes.

Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.

Add the broth, water, oyster sauce, soy sauce and black pepper.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the bok choy leaves, scallions, baby corn and beef.  Cook until heated through- about 5 more minutes.  Stir in the apple cider vinegar.

Divide the cooked noodles among six bowls.  Ladle soup over the top of the noodles.  Add sriracha and sesame seeds to taste.

Makes about 6 servings.

Chickpea Soup With Swiss Chard

6 cups drained and rinsed canned chickpeas (three 19-ounce cans)

3 cups chicken broth or homemade stock, plus more if needed

3 tablespoons olive oil (I actually used closer to 1 tablespoon)

1 carrot, chopped

1 celery stalk, chopped

1 onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh

1 bay leaf

Pinch dried crushed red pepper flakes

1 cup canned tomatoes in thick puree (I used 1 cup stewed tomatoes)

1/2 cup tubetti or small macaroni (breaking up spaghetti worked really well)

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 pound Swiss chard, tough stems removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

Directions:

Puree half of the chickpeas with 1 1/2 cups of broth in a blender or food processor.  In a large pot, heat the olive oil over moderately low heat.  Add the carrot, celery, onion, garlic and rosemary.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups broth, the pureed mixture, whole chickpeas, bay leaf, red-pepper flakes, tomatoes, pasta and salt.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered for 10 minutes.

Add the Swiss chard to the pot.  Simmer until the chard is tender and the pasta is done, 5 to 10 minutes longer.  Remove the bay leaf and stir in the black pepper.  If the soup thickens too much on standing, add a little more broth or water.

Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili

1medium  onion — chopped
1medium  sweet yellow pepper — chopped
3 garlic cloves — minced
2 tablespoons  olive oil
3 cups  chicken broth
2 cans  black beans — (15 ounces each) rinsed and drained
2 1/2 cups  cubed cooked turkey
1can  solid-pack pumpkin — (15 ounces)
1can  diced tomatoes — (14-1/2 ounces) undrained
2 teaspoons  dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons  chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons  dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons  ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon  salt

Directions:

In a large skillet, saute the onion, yellow pepper and garlic in oil until tender. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker; stir in the remaining ingredients.

Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through.

Yield: 10 servings

Salmon Chowder

1/2         pound  red potatoes

1/2         pound  sliced bacon — cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips

2               cups  chopped scallions (from 2 bunches)

2             stalks  celery — chopped

1                cup  fresh or frozen corn

3             cloves  garlic, minced

1           teaspoon  finely chopped fresh thyme

1                     bay leaf

1/8      teaspoon  dried hot red-pepper flakes

3               cups  whole milk

2/3           cup  heavy cream

1              piece  salmon fillet (preferably wild) — (1 1/2-pound) skin discarded and fish cut into 1-inch pieces

1/2      teaspoon  salt

1/4      teaspoon  black pepper

2          teaspoons  fresh lemon juice

Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes, then cook in a 1- to 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan of boiling salted water  until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside.

Cook bacon in a 5-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.

Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot, then cook scallions, corn, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and red-pepper flakes in fat in pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until scallions are tender, about 5 minutes.

Add milk and cream and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to moderately low, then add potatoes, salmon, bacon, salt, and pepper and cook, gently stirring occasionally, until salmon is just cooked through and begins to break up as you stir, 5 to 8 minutes.

Stir in lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste, discard bay leaf.

Serve with extra scallions chopped and a lemon wedge.

Navy Bean Soup with Rosemary and Ham Hocks

Serving Size : 8
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium yellow onions — diced
4 celery stalks — diced
4 cloves garlic — minced
1 1/2 cups dried navy beans — soaked overnight
8 cups chicken broth
1 smoked ham hocks
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sea salt — plus more to taste
1 teaspoon black pepper — plus more to taste
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary — chopped

Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and reduce heat to low. Cook and stir until soft and brown, about 15 minutes. Add the celery and cook adn stir for 8 to 10 minutes longer, or until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute more, being careful not to let it brown.
Add the drained beans, chicken broth, ham hocks, bay leaves, salt, pepper, and dried rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer, uncovered until beans are tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Remove th ebay leaves and discard. Remove the ham hock and place it on a plate to cool. When cool enough to handle, pull the meat off the bone and add to the soup. Stir in the fresh rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. The soup is even better the day after it is made. It will keep up to 4 days in the fridge, or also freezes well.

I've made these the past few weeks. I did need to have homemade broth and pre-soaked and cooked beans on hand to make it easier to make them.

http://souvlakiforth...peas-and-quinoa

*double the recipe and cut "chilies" back to 1/4 tsp., this isn't chili powder, but straight chili, I used chipotle

http://www.thehealth...r-broth-needed/

*yes, 16 oz. of miso, I got by with 8-10 oz. this makes a ton, don't boil the miso, and its yummy cold and the miso makes it better each day **this one has chopped tomatoes in it

http://nourishedkitc...hite-bean-soup/

Every time I make my Pumpkin Soup recipe, my girls tell me it's the BEST in the world!!

Here is the recipe if you want to try it....bear in mind I'm in Australia, so I hope all the ingredient names make sense to you, or are available to you.

It makes a very big pot, which keeps in the fridge, and does a few meals over about 4 days.  It doesn't freeze well, though, as the noodles go watery.

I've bolded the ingredients.

Curried Pumpkin Noodle Soup.

3 medium size butternut pumpkins (not sure if you call them squash?)

Approx 5 medium size sweet potato (or about 1kg)

4 large onions

Peel veges and chop roughly in large or small chunks (doesn't affect cooking time much).  Place in large pot, and add water enough to barely cover the top of the veges.

Bring to boil and cook for about 30-40 mins, until veges are soft.

Meanwhile in a smaller pot, put about 1litre of water, with 5 sachets of dry chicken noodle soup mix, and a heaping Tablespoon of curry powder.  Bring to boil, turn down heat and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 mins. Turn off heat and let it sit.

Using stick mixer or blender (stick mixer is much easier), puree the boiled veges.  After pureed, add the chicken noodle soup/curry mix, as well as a 600ml container of cream.  Mix together (not with stick mixer this time :-) until blended. 

Serve with crusty buttered bread.

I'm reading along as I need some ideas. I just started craving soup again. I've been having a simple soup for b-fast- bone broth w/ a few seasonings and some chopped or dehydrated carrots and onions (I bought these in bulk and love them in a simple broth). Sometimes I like a bit of meat chopped in there and I've been throwing in some coconut oil for good fats and to make it more filling. Reading these recipes I wish I would have picked up a butternut squash at Aldi's last night!

I'll play because I have many recipes from the Hive that I just love. It's good to give back :)

Not the souper :) healthiest thing on the planet but SOOO good

http://plantoeat.com/recipes/182777[/

This is more summery but uhmazing

http://plantoeat.com/recipes/791873

[url="http://plantoeat.com/recipes/385248]http://plantoeat.com/recipes/385248

We love Olive Garens soup at our house. I want to try the last one you mentioned. Thanks OP for the thread and for all those that have given recipes,

I love Sebastian's carrot soup:

Carrot Soup

Cover 1 lb carrots with chicken broth (I've used canned or water + bullion cubes or powder). Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup butter, 2-4 teaspoons dried dill, and a couple cloves worth of crushed or chopped garlic.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 min or until carrots are soft.

In several batches, run all of the soup through a blender. (I think you could use an immersion blender here, possibly. I don't own one, so I'm not totally sure. Do make sure it's heat resistant, as this has a huge thermal inertia. I don't recommend using a regular mixer. It makes a huge mess and doesn't puree all that well.)

Once pureed, put soup back on the stove to simmer for another 20-30 min.

This makes a yummy hearty soup. It freezes really well (but start thawing the day before, because it will take forever to reheat).

I used to serve this with an Asian green salad and garlic bread. One thing I like is that you can use any kind of carrot, since they will be pureed anyway.

In fact, I think this end up on the dinner rotation this week. :001_smile:

I make carrot soup, but slightly different:

Saute  an finely diced onion in butter (couple of tablespoons), add 1 lb carrots(peeled, chopped), and 2 -3 small potatoes (peeled and diced) and 4-5 cups broth. Cook on low till done (or in crockpot). Puree with immersion blender (or in blender in batches). add 1-2 c water till desired consistency and some salt/pepper. (i also add some Vegeta http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegeta_(food)) maybe some Mrs Dash would work instead.

Every time I make my Pumpkin Soup recipe, my girls tell me it's the BEST in the world!!

Here is the recipe if you want to try it....bear in mind I'm in Australia, so I hope all the ingredient names make sense to you, or are available to you.

It makes a very big pot, which keeps in the fridge, and does a few meals over about 4 days.  It doesn't freeze well, though, as the noodles go watery.

I've bolded the ingredients.

Curried Pumpkin Noodle Soup.

3 medium size butternut pumpkins (not sure if you call them squash?)

Approx 5 medium size sweet potato (or about 1kg)

4 large onions

Peel veges and chop roughly in large or small chunks (doesn't affect cooking time much).  Place in large pot, and add water enough to barely cover the top of the veges.

Bring to boil and cook for about 30-40 mins, until veges are soft.

Meanwhile in a smaller pot, put about 1litre of water, with 5 sachets of dry chicken noodle soup mix, and a heaping Tablespoon of curry powder.  Bring to boil, turn down heat and cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 mins. Turn off heat and let it sit.

Using stick mixer or blender (stick mixer is much easier), puree the boiled veges.  After pureed, add the chicken noodle soup/curry mix, as well as a 600ml container of cream.  Mix together (not with stick mixer this time :-) until blended. 

Serve with crusty buttered bread.

This sounds amazing but I'm wondering about the dry chicken noodle soup mix ... Is it something like this:

4100000324.jpg