Menu

SOUP!!

Mommyfaithe

Well it is nearly Thanksgiving here in Canada which means in a couple weeks I will be making turkey soup.  The kids favorite that I make is hamburger soup.

As for recipes I don't really have one.  I cheat when I make my broth for hamburger soup and use beef oxo.  But I brown off the meat along with some onion, carrot, celery and garlic, so the veggies are nicely sauted.  I add the water/oxo mix to the level I want, toss in a few handfuls of barley and let it simmer until the barley is cooked.  If I have left overs like roasted potatoes, corn etc I toss it in there too.

Turkey soup, I roast the bones in a bit of water, then pour that into a pot with sauted veggies like above, top with just enough water to cover add in poultry seasoning, salt, pepper etc and simmer for a few hours.  I stick the whole thing in the fridge over night.  The next day I skim off the fat, and pull out the bones.  I top with more water if needed and season to taste and add in fresh parsley, potatoes, squash, other veggies, and nice bite sized chunks of meat.  I bring it back up to a boil, then turn it down to simmer until potatoes etc are cooked.  Usually while that is going on day 2 I do up a batch of baking powder biscuits.

When I had a good blender I also did lots of left over veggie type soups and would toss in cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini etc.  Then when cooked I would blend until smooth and serve as a cream soup and the kids never ever guessed all the veggies they supposedly hated being in there.  Nothing concrete to pull out meant it all got eaten.

Italian Wedding Soup

1 egg, lightly beaten

3/4 pound lean ground beef

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

3 tablespoons plain bread crumbs

3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

8 cups low-sodium chicken broth

3 large carrots, chopped

1 small head escarole (8 ounces), washed, trimmed and cut into 1/2 in strips

1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 3/4 cups acini di pepe pasta (such as Ronzoni)

In a large bowl, stir together egg, beef, onion, bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, 1 tablespoon parsely and 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Form into 1 in meatballs (about 45 ) and place on baking sheet; refrigerate while preparing soup.

Combine broth, carrots, escarole and oregano in slow cooker. Gently add meatballs. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours. Stir in pasta for last 20 mins of cook time. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle each serving with remaining parsely and Parmesan cheese and serve.

Makes 8 servings Prep: 15 mins Slow Cook on LOW for 6 hours

and another favorite, modified in a million ways already so play with it..

Leiko’s Root Veggie Soup

Sauté garlic and onions in plenty of olive oil.

Add carrots and cubed sweet potatoes and sauté a bit.

Add zucchini, mushrooms and green peppers and sauté a bit longer.

Add 8 Herb Ox veggie bouillon cubes and 8 cups of water. (or whatever broth is on hand)

Add oregano, garlic and onion powder to taste.

Boil until veggies are done. At the last few minutes add teeny pasta.

Serve with (tons) of grated parmesan.

I do a lot of clean out the fridge soups.  I make my own broth.  So most of my soups end up being lots of various veggies with whatever bits of meat I have left.  You can even dump in leftover mashed potatoes. 

This is exactly the type of soup I make!  I started when I was babysitting for a particular family in college.  The Dad was a meat-eater (who like it when I stayed for supper because I'd eat meat with him), and the Mom and boy were vegetarian.  I'd start one pot of soup to use up whatever veggies were about to go around the bend in their fridge, then I'd divide it between two pots, add leftover meats to one, and have soup for both camps.

In my house I'll still add in veggies from the fridge, but frequently we don't have enough left over and not enough fresh on hand, so my soup is often "clean out the freezer" soup, to use up freezer contents that are starting to get a bit freezer burned.

I like a lot of tomatoes in mine and so I add canned tomatoes and tomato or V8 juice, but you can leave these out.  Cut your meat into bite-size pieces and brown (if using, and if it's not already cooked).  Throw it in the pot.  Got some broth, stock, or leftover soups or savory liquids (gravy counts)?  Throw them in.  Clean and chop up any veggies in your fridge you want to add.  Toss in any frozen veggies you like.  If needed add some water.  Season it a bit, and periodically taste and adjust seasoning while it cooks.  If you have some canned veggies you like add them, too.  Cook it all up at a simmer until flavors meld and you are ready to eat.  Serve it up with whatever looks good to you (salad and bread go over great here).

DD12 calls this Scratchy Soup!

We love soup here! Some of these have tomato, but I'll share for my fellow tomato lovers :D

Hearty Chicken Chipotle Soup:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Hearty-Chipotle-Chicken-Soup

Ina Garten's Mexican Chicken Soup:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mexican-chicken-soup-recipe/index.html

Stuffed Pepper Soup (I halve this and quarter the rice--it really takes over):

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Stuffed-Pepper-Soup

Cheesy Chicken Chowder (I add peas):

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cheesy-Chicken-Chowder

White Chicken Chili (I add a third can of beans, mashed, to thicken it):

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/09/white-chicken-chili/

Tortellini Sausage Soup (I usually use turkey sausage to cut the fat, and I prefer my zucchini cubed):

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/10/tortellini-sausage-soup/

Corn Chowder. I shared my recipe in post #10 of this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/216865-corn-chowder-recipe/

Roasted Sweet Corn and Tomato Soup (I increase the tomato by 50%):

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2012/08/roasted-sweet-corn-and-tomato-soup/

Does anyone have a non-tomato based hamburger soup??? :bigear: My friend's mom used to make a soup she called "steak soup" in the crockpot. It was ground meat with mixed veges (think the bag of frozen veges: corn, carrots, peas, lima beans, green beans, etc). I am not a big fan of soup, but I liked this one. No pasta, potatoes or rice. And kind of thick a bit,maybe she used the roux??? I am 99% sure there were no tomato chunks, but maybe she used tomato paste?? The color was kind of brown, not red or orange...

When I google "steak soup" I get a KC Steak soup (which we lived in KC, so that might be it), but it doesn't look the same.

A neighbor once made me hamburger soup. It was delicious, but it was just really good vegetable soup with browned ground beef chunks added.

I do love that Zuppa Toscana recipe that's all over the Internet. You can do that in a crock pot.

Zucchini Parmesan soup

3 TBSP butter

1 small onion, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 lb zucchini, diced small

1/4 tsp nutmeg

2 C mild broth (chicken or veg.)

1/2 C heavy cream (or evaporated milk)

1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 C carrots, finely diced or shredded

Melt butter in pot until hot. Add zucchini, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add nutmeg and broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes or so, until zucchini is soft. Purée with a blender/immersion blender until mostly smooth (or to your taste). Return to pot, add carrots, cream and cheese and simmer gently, stirring frequently, until carrots are tender.

I love to dice and freeze my summer abundance of zucchini and use it for this creamy soup. Frozen zucchini softens much faster which reduces cooking time as well.

Curried chicken soup with carrots

2 TBSP olive oil

1 lb onions, chopped

3/4 lb carrots, peeled, cut in small cubes

2 tsp. curry powder

1/4 tsp ground cardamom

1/4 tsp ground coriander

4 C chicken broth

2 TBSP flour

Heat oil in pot and add carrots and onion. Cover and cook until onions are translucent. Add spices and stir for a 30 seconds or so. Add 1 1/2 C broth, simmer gently until carrots are tender, then purée using a blender/immersion blender. Whisk flour into remaining 1/2 C broth, add to pot then bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 25 minutes.

this was yesterday's soup:

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/butternut-squash-and-crab-bisque/

i made it up until the chicken stock, without garlic or other spices.  then i pureed it, divided it in half, added an apple to one half, and half the garlic, crab and cream to the other half. 

yesterday, i had the crab bisque.  it was wonderful, but overly rich for me.  next time, i'll try just adding milk. 

i know i love the apple one, with a few mushrooms cooked in sherry put on top as garnish.  its for lunch today.

my SoCal family aren't such big soup folks, so i will be eating this for a while.

have fun!

ann

Someone mentioned Zuppa Toscana- that's what I made yesterday.  Though I veered greatly from the recipe, it really was delicious and a repeater.  This was the recipe I based mine off of:

Zuppa Toscana

I didn't really follow his method much- I cooked it all in one pot, and then put it in my crockpot on low to keep while we ran around for a few hours.  I used Swiss chard from the garden instead of kale, I added a cup of sliced baby portabella mushrooms, and at the end, just before serving, I stirred in a cup of sour cream instead of straight up cream.  It was absolutely delicious.

Wow, Thanks for all these fantastic recipes!!!! :hurray:

Here's a recipe for the easiest split pea soup in the world!!!

1 package dry split peas

1-2  32 ounce boxes of Pacifica chicken or vegetable stock

1 chopped onion

1 16 ounce/454 grams package baby carrots

Salt and pepper to taste

Rinse and soak the split peas overnight, then dump everything in the crockpot. I put the carrots in whole, then mash them when they are soft. My family likes soup so thick you can cut it with a knife, so I only add 1 box of chicken stock, but you may want to add more.

Honestly, it doesn't need seasoning except a little salt and pepper.

• 2 weeks later...

This one is from a 1970's Betty Crocker cookbook (the spiral bound with the orange cover). Although the recipe includes a can of tomatoes, we prefer it as a "brown" soup, so I just leave them out. You don't need to replace the liquid that the tomatoes have because it doesn't really make a difference. If you do add more liquid, I would say add 1/2 to 1 cup more water and a bit more bouillon to match. I also use about 3/4 cup of barley because we love barley.

Vegetable Beef Barley Soup

1 lb. beef boneless chuck or round, cut into 1 inch cubes

1 tbs. vegetable oil

1 cup water

2 tsp. instant beef bouillon

1 ½ tsp. salt

¼ tsp. dried marjoram leaves

¼ tsp. dried thyme leaves

1/8 tsp. pepper

1 bay leaf

4 cups water

3 medium carrots, sliced

1 large stalk celery, sliced

1 medium onion, chopped

1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes, whole or diced

½ cup uncooked barley

Cook and stir beef in oil in 4 qt. Dutch oven over medium heat until brown. Stir in 1 cup water, the bouillon, salt, marjoram, thyme, pepper, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer until beef is tender, 1 to 2 hours.

Stir in 4 cups water, the carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes (with liquid), and the barley. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 35 minutes. 

While we all like curry, we don't like curried pumpkin soup. Most pumpkin soup recipes include curry, but I found this recipe that was good. I haven't tried it with canned pumpkin, only fresh, but it says you can use either. I use my immersion blender to make it creamier.

http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinsoup.php

Black-eyed pea soup is one of our favorites.  Everyone in my family loves it.  The sausage you choose is what makes the soup awesome.  Unfortunately, we are having a really hard time finding our favorite sausage.

We also love baked potato soup and cream of broccoli and cheese soup.  Sadly, we have our youngest on a dairy free diet right now, so we can't have those unless her trial elimination diet proves dairy isn't her issue.

• 2 months later...

Bumping the soup thread because it is cold! Bbbrrr!!

I am cooking some sausage potato soup.

I made too many baked potatoes last night with the intention of using them today.

baked potatoes scooped out and chopped

carrots

celery

onion

homemade chicken stock

sliced kielbasa

pepper

parsley

garlic

frozen corn

coconut milk (or cream if you can have milk :lol:)

Timely thread. We made soup tonight, just right for the cold weather!

Vegetable Beef soup w/ noodles

1 lb. beef, browned

Add in:  2 c. frozen mixed veggies, 2 cans beef broth, 1 can diced tomatoes, salt & pepper.  Bring to boil, add in 3/4 c. macaroni noodles & cover, reduce to simmer for 10 min.

This was our 1st time making it.  Not bad.  Needs some sort of spices/seasonings, but it was super-easy and a good base for future makings.