Menu

High heels

Night Elf

You're not alone.  I don't like them either... although I did wear them from time to time in my high school days.  Now the closest I come to heels are maybe a thick platform/wedge type shoe (not very high)-- otherwise forget it.  High heels are too uncomfortable.

I have a hard enough time walking across a room in tennis shoes without hurting myself.  There is no way I am going to put high heels on.  It wouldn't be safe.  I'm pretty particular about my shoes anyway.  I have very wide feet and a high arch and am lucky to find any shoes that fit comfortably.  I don't even have to try on high heels to know that just isn't an option for me.

I would love to be able to wear shoes like this:

http://us.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=34072&storeId=13065&productId=11147288&langId=-1&categoryId=&parent_category_rn=&searchTerm=DP22154015&resultCount=1&geoip=home

However, I can't walk in them and they hurt my feet. I do have a pair like this:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-dansko-nina-graphite-brush-off-p_id288934

And they are very comfy. When I feel like being a little dressier, I wear them out running errands, and my feet feel fine the entire time. I wouldn't have anywhere to wear the first pair anyway, 'cause I'm mostly a casual girl, but I sure do think they're purty! :)

I have several pairs of wedges that I wear often, and a few pair of heels, most of them thick, but I do have one pair of stillettos, but those are only worn for dressy occasions (like a wedding), or to church (we wear dresses and shirt/ties to church), where I know I won't be walking very much. :p

There was a time I wore them at least five days a week. There is a real difference in comfort between well made high heels and cheap ones you might buy just to wear to one event. I had a few nice pair that I would take to be repaired as necessary. I walked to work back then since I lived in the city, and I admit that I wore flats or boots for my walk and changed once I got to the office. I had a shoe drawer at my desk. :lol: I used to love my pretty shoes... They really did make my stubby legs look better.

I now wear Birkenstocks pretty much every day of the year, and I love them, too. :-)

I love heels but don't wear them often.  I have wide feet and no arch; cute styles that fit are hard to find.  Most of my dress shoes for work have 2-3" wedge heels.  I do have a 3.5" inch pair of skinny heeled sandals that I wore to DS' wedding and a friend's quinceanera. I'd love to wear them to work but I'm scared I'll break an ankle.

sounds like Night Elf is getting dressed up for something, see her bookshelf thread. Now really high heels...

Two broken ankles long ago and I just cannot wear high heels. Maybe it is the lack of padding in the shoe, really hurts the bottoms of my feet, and my ankles, and my toes. Makes my toes feel broken all over again.

sounds like Night Elf is getting dressed up for something, see her bookshelf thread. Now really high heels...

Two broken ankles long ago and I just cannot wear high heels. Maybe it is the lack of padding in the shoe, really hurts the bottoms of my feet, and my ankles, and my toes. Makes my toes feel broken all over again.

No, I don't even own a dress. The fanciest place I go is a restaurant where i wear jeans and a tshirt. The bookshelves are simply because mine are worn out and I didn't like how they fit anyway. The heels thing is from watching someone on tv walk like it's the easiest thing in the world. She was so graceful. I'm just plain clunky. My hair needs to be done too. I'm the vision of blah right now in fashion. I'm okay with the bummy clothes. The hair is kind of an embarrassment though. I want to be June Cleaver and vacuum in a dress and heels while wearing my best pearls. :smilielol5:

I wear heels twice a month max, on dates with DH. About once a year, I buy myself a beautiful pair just to remind myself of the young woman I used to be. And because it's fun to look nice. I don't walk as well in them as I used to.

The rest of time I am in Crocs or Danskos or barefoot.

Oh, my people, how you disappoint me!  Heels are not hard to walk in if you know how.  The problem for a lot of people is that they tend to lean forward when they wear heels, which throws your balance completely off and makes you look a bit like an idiot.  You must lean BACK slightly.  You pull your shoulders back a little and stand up straight.  If your heels are really high 4" plus, you'll likely have lift your knees a bit higher than normal when you walk, which feels a bit weird at first, but after a while becomes second nature when you put on really high heels. I can run in 4" stilettos (I do have a toddler!), because I know how to shift my center of gravity.  This is very important, or you'll fall over or break an ankle.  

BTW, I had to go through my shoes for the move, because I can't carry them all with me.  SOB!  I picked out 12 pairs (not all heels, but mostly), because I NEED them and the rest are being packed up tomorrow.  They're going to be so afraid in those dark boxes!  They'll think I don't love them any more!  

Oh, my people, how you disappoint me!  Heels are not hard to walk in if you know how.   

We needed a fashion tutor when dd15 went to Homecoming last year. All the girls were wearing skirts above the knee and high heels. She had never worn a heel in her life. She practiced as much as she could and my older dd tried to help, but she just looked plain awkward. I told her not to worry too much because all the girls take off their heels once they get to the dance. She was skeptical but discovered I was right. At least she didn't hurt herself.

You should have seen me pitch a fit when I had to dance in heels. I'm a bellydancer! I shouldn't have to wear shoes at all! However, this particular style/choreography demanded heels. I bought ballroom heels and they're amazingly easy to move in. I change into them at weddings and such because they're SO pretty and SO comfy and SO easy to walk/dance in, and they neither slip, nor stick you to the floor. The drawback is that they're not street shoes so you can only wear them inside.

I'm not one for heals, but I did learn that if I'm going to buy them go to Dillard's and get good shoes.  I tried on a pair of Tsubo's heals, and honestly, I could have ran in them!  Now I know how those people on tv run in heals; they have good ones on.  

I'm still not a fan of heals. They are back for your back and feet, but if you need a pair for something fancy or if you like them, invest in a high end brand. 

I used to think I couldn't walk nicely in heels either, but I found there is a huge difference in comfort with the quality of the shoes.  Cheap shoes hurt.  Better shoes are balanced better and are more comfortable.  I also learned how to walk properly (from a dear colleague!) and I don't have any more problem walking in 5 inch heels as in 1/2 inch heels.

I also love heels because they make me taller.  I'm 6' tall and I used to be ashamed of towering over most men.  I wore flats all the time and did everything I could to appear shorter.  Then, I got a bit more sass and now I love being tall, but I REALLY love being taller! :D  Let me tell you... in 5 inch heels, I can rule the world!  And, it's kind of funny how so many men seem almost awed by a very tall woman (in a good way).  They certainly can't talk down to me, at least. ;)

They are terrible for your feet and they throw your whole body out of alignment. You should stretch your calves 5 minutes for every hour you wear them in a day.

Barefoot is best, a 0 drop heel is next. Heels only on special occasions. :)

I've only worn cheapies and they HURT, unless they're wide heeled. And when I say I've worn them, I mean like 2 or 3 times. I cannot tolerate the pain.

I've long suspected that pricier heels feel better. Maybe one day I'll get myself a pair of expensive heels. When the kids are done college and I'm 53. Sigh.

I also love heels because they make me taller.  I'm 6' tall and I used to be ashamed of towering over most men.  I wore flats all the time and did everything I could to appear shorter.  Then, I got a bit more sass and now I love being tall, but I REALLY love being taller! :D  Let me tell you... in 5 inch heels, I can rule the world!  And, it's kind of funny how so many men seem almost awed by a very tall woman (in a good way).  They certainly can't talk down to me, at least. ;)

I'm 5'9 so not quite as tall as you but I am as tall or taller than many men. I used to wear flats to be less intimidating but I have to confess, I LOVE wearing 4 inch heels and hitting that 6 foot barrier. It's actually pretty empowering but you're right. They must be GOOD shoes.

I can wear chunky sandals with platform heels but I can not wear shoes with those spikey heels. I tried once and spent the evening thinking "heel, toe, heel, toe" so I could walk. Then when we were leaving the event, I stumbled down the steps of the banquet hall and everyone outside got a good laugh because they thought I was the drunk girl. (I was solely drinking diet Coke the entire night!)

My uncle is a podiatrist and he thinks high heels are the devil.  I've never been a fan either.  Used to think girls needed to suck it up at times, but now that I'm older and more confident/crotchety, I say phooey.  Anyone who doesn't like my max 1" heels doesn't have to look at them.  :)

I used to wear then all the time, and the 12 years I was a pro ballroom dancer, I was dancing in 3" heels about 15 hours a day. Shoe quality is a big one and the curve of the heel, where it places your weight, is huge. Ballroom heels are curved inward so that the end of the heel is exactly in the middle of your natural heel. High heeled shoes where the heel goes straight down really mess with your body alignment. 

Now I am retired :) and living in Montana, where dressing up means wearing the 'good' jeans and the 'good' boots and hat. And with snow about 9 months of the year, heels are kinda useless. 

I don't mind high heels, but don't wear them often. And I cannot stand when I see people walking incorrectly in them.

Because I am hardly 5' tall people often assume I wear very high heels all the time. In truth, I look odd wearing very high heels. Anything over 3" and it starts to look like I am wearing my mom's shoes or trying too hard to overcompensate. My 'everyday' shoes are a dansk clogs for cold weather and a dansk sandal for summer. Both are a 2" platform.

And if you feel like you need a heel, but aren't comfortable in them, well, that is what the platform heel was made for!  You can wear 3" heels and feel like you are wearing 1.5.

Here is a lesson by Tyra about how to wear those heels;

http://jezebel.com/5794481/tyra-teaches-you-to-walk-in-heels-gets-spazzy

I have worn heals maybe three times in my life, the last time being this past Sunday. My flats ripped, and I didn't wanna wear flip flops to church, so I had to wear the heels. I had the worst foot cramp on the inside of my foot the rest of the day. My foot muscles are not used to being at that angle. 

Now I am retired :) and living in Montana, where dressing up means wearing the 'good' jeans and the 'good' boots and hat. And with snow about 9 months of the year, heels are kinda useless.

I LOVE this. I can walk much better in my Justin Cowboy boots or my black leather ropers than I even could in heels. Even my muck boots have a 1 inch heel for riding on them.

I don't really get on with heels, my ankles are hypermobile and I have a habit of turning them in anything other than boots that lace right up over the ankle and have proper ankle support. I do like the look of high heels though.  I have turned my ankles many times in flats without ankle support so I just don't think heels are an option.

Here is a lesson by Tyra about how to wear those heels;

http://jezebel.com/5794481/tyra-teaches-you-to-walk-in-heels-gets-spazzy

Interesting. If I walked like her, I'd feel like I was purposely trying to look sexy, with my hips all swinging about. That seems to be the way to walk in them though. She showed the clunky walk and I've seen ladies do that. It's definitely unattractive.

I used to wear them often with my evening gowns...back during my performance days. But, I injured my ankle very, very badly in college and they are pure torture to wear now. I do it when I have to because of cultural expectation, and being only 5'4", flats with an evening gown doesn't exactly look all that dressy...I mean, I think if you are really tall you can pull that off, a pretty pair of ballet flats, but I think I personally look ridiculous. Too.much.cultural.conditioning.going.on.in.my.brain.

Otherwise I have two pairs of 1", or maybe 1.5" "heels" which means they are open-toe, cutey pie shoes in neutral colors that have excellent support. These I can wear for a couple of hours without the ankle swelling. Unfortunately, for dd's wedding, I ended up in them for more like 7 or 8 hours and the ankle barked at me like a rabid dog. I have new jogging shoes which my ankle loves, and if I could possibly get away with it, I'd wear them 24/7 with just maybe a pair of sandals for the hottest days.

But, I do have a pair of equestrian riding boots that are divine! I don't ride much at all anymore...sigh. They are like butter on my feet and have lots of support. Unfortunately, they are low cut and look like dressage/paddock boots instead of dress boots so I can't get away with wearing them with skirts (which I would love to do), and I can't find dress boots that the ankle will survive.

Gack! Shoes are just a pain in the hind end. Too bad we can't go bare foot all the live long day.

Faith

Oh, my people, how you disappoint me!  Heels are not hard to walk in if you know how. 

Does wearing heels hurt your feet?  The pressure on the balls of my feet when I even wore low heels (2") was really sore.  I gave up because I couldn't see intentionally causing myself pain, but I was wondering if some people are immune.

L