Menu

And now for something different: words that are fading from usage?

Halftime Hope

I should put in a disclaimer:  I don't know if these two words are fading from usage in other areas of the country or just that I never hear them in the South, but it makes me sad that no one in my generation, much less in younger ones, seems to use or have heard of these words and many others like them. 

stoop:  n. Chiefly Northeastern U.S.

A small porch, platform, or staircase leading to the entrance of a house or building.

Divan:  a large couch usually without back or arms often designed for use as a bed  (Interestingly, my grandmother who spoke very proper English used to refer to the loveseat that pulled out into a nearly-full bed as a "divan." Apparently the common usage was broader than the definition.)

There's nothing particularly winsome about either of those two words, I just felt the need to dust them off and take them for a spin.

Other words that are long lost friends in your world?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew ups saying stoop (in Washington, DC) and still do sometimes. But now, in NY, I don't really hear it that much. Of course I'm not in the city anymore and folks don't sit around on their stoops here.

I never say divan, though, and I'm not sure I've heard it outside of books.

Anne

There's nothing particularly winsome about either of those two words, I just felt the need to dust them off and take them for a spin.

winsome   :001_smile:

My late grandma used to say divan, dungarees (jeans), pedal pushers (capri pants), pocketbook (purse/handbag), parlor (living room), icebox (fridge), and there were probably others that I've forgotten. I don't think my kids would know what any of those are except perhaps icebox & pocketbook.

My late grandma used to say divan, dungarees (jeans), pedal pushers (capri pants), pocketbook (purse/handbag), parlor (living room), icebox (fridge), and there were probably others that I've forgotten. I don't think my kids would know what any of those are except perhaps icebox & pocketbook.

I say pocketbook! Am I the only one? Yikes, I never noticed.

I say pocketbook! Am I the only one? Yikes, I never noticed.

"Pocketbook" is still commonly used here in the northeast. I do think it's very regional, though. Crimson is from here & moved away; I think she doesn't hear it anymore more due to distance, not time.

Crimson Wife, I remember the words pedal pushers and pocketbook, but I have never understood how pocketbook means purse or handbag. I mean handbag makes sense but "pocketbook" how does that make sense?

I never hear the word pallet anymore. All I hear is "We will make up a bed on the floor". I always liked the word pallet.

Hence

No one in my area uses it in normal conversation. Ds and I are out to change that. I used it in a meeting this week, on purpose.

That's a challenge...I'm preparing briefing notes for a presentation tomorrow. I'm going to use the word hence. It'll provide me with a little levity . :)

I should put in a disclaimer:  I don't know if these two words are fading from usage in other areas of the country or just that I never hear them in the South, but it makes me sad that no one in my generation, much less in younger ones, seems to use or have heard of these words and many others like them. 

stoop:  n. Chiefly Northeastern U.S.

A small porch, platform, or staircase leading to the entrance of a house or building.

Divan:  a large couch usually without back or arms often designed for use as a bed  (Interestingly, my grandmother who spoke very proper English used to refer to the loveseat that pulled out into a nearly-full bed as a "divan." Apparently the common usage was broader than the definition.)

We grew up (in Oklahoma) saying divan and, to us, it meant couch or sofa.

ETA: We also said icebox for fridge.

"Pocketbook" is still commonly used here in the northeast. I do think it's very regional, though. Crimson is from here & moved away; I think she doesn't hear it anymore more due to distance, not time.

I'd say it was a regional thing, except I can't remember anyone in my parents' generation or mine using "pocketbook" rather than purse or handbag. It sticks out in my mind as being one of the archaic terms my grandma would use (she was born in 1911).

I have a colleague who uses "hence" every other sentence. Never in speech, just in writing.  In excess it's awful, and somewhat pretentious.  I bet it packs a solid punch when used sparingly, though :)

Kids today are always grounded. They're never on restriction. I live an ocean away from where I grew up, so maybe it's regional but when my son told a friend he was on restriction, the friend needed an explanation LOL.

Davenport was the one I thought of the other day and couldn't bring to mind this morning.   Pedal pushers - check.  Pallet - (used by my MIL from the Midwest) - check.

Here are a couple more:  sneakers (for cloth tennis shoes)   and (gasp) thongs (flip-flops). 

Davenport was the one I thought of the other day and couldn't bring to mind this morning.   Pedal pushers - check.  Pallet - (used by my MIL from the Midwest) - check.

Here are a couple more:  sneakers (for cloth tennis shoes)   and (gasp) thongs (flip-flops). 

Do you mean that the terms "sneakers" and "thongs" (as flip-flops) are seldom used anymore? I've never heard anyone around here seriously refer to sneakers as anything but sneakers (I've heard trainers, but only in a joking way). What do people call them around you? And I see "thongs" online all the time when I'm shoe shopping, but I think the term is losing favor in common speech because of the alternate meaning. Obviously I do not refer to them as thongs  :lol:

Yep, I like "winsome."    It is such a useful and memorable word, although I didn't use it intentionally in that first post.  : )

win·some  /ˈwinsÉ™m/ 

Adjective
Attractive or appealing in appearance or character.

In fact, it has come in very handy on an occasion or two providing feedback on behavior for my young adults who are in that last stage (under my roof) of refining subtleties in the way they think about their own behavior and those of others that they choose to spend a lot of time with.

The other word I really like for its descriptive value is

gauche

adjective

Definition: lacking manners and proper social behavior

Synonyms: unsophisticated, uncouth, tactless, awkward, graceless, ill-mannered, uncultured, boorish

In my family, gauche has been a concise word that is a blessed alternative to a full-blown lecture. 

Do you mean that the terms "sneakers" and "thongs" (as flip-flops) are seldom used anymore? I've never heard anyone around here seriously refer to sneakers as anything but sneakers (I've heard trainers, but only in a joking way). What do people call them around you? And I see "thongs" online all the time when I'm shoe shopping, but I think the term is losing favor in common speech because of the alternate meaning. Obviously I do not refer to them as thongs  :lol:

Sorry, they're a bit different.  I never hear sneakers in usage anymore.   I do hear the word th*ng, but the meaning has changed from "flip-flops" to "underwear offering marginal coverage of the wearer's backside."   : )

How about credenza?

Is that still used? My husband insists on calling the unit that holds all our office supplies a credenza. I just call it a shelf with doors (sliding doors at that); it looks like some kind of 70-80s metal office furniture.

When we lived in Canada in the late 1970's sofas were called chesterfields and vacuums were Hoovers and you hoovered with them.  

I grew up saying knapsack or rucksack for backpack.  In Baltimore (early 1970's) the front porch was definitely a front stoop. especially if it was marble. 

Ah, I see. I do hear "running shoes," but mostly only from people who actually do run. I never hear "tennis shoes," but I don't actually know anyone who plays tennis regularly. Otherwise, like Jeannie said, I mostly hear "sneakers" around here. 

..."underwear offering marginal coverage of the wearer's backside."   : )

:lol:  :lol:

Sorry, they're a bit different. I never hear sneakers in usage anymore.

That's 'cause you're in TX. Around here we call all kinds of athletic shoes sneakers - cloth, leather, synthetic - all are sneakers. If you ever hear someone say tennis Shoes, it means special shoes for tennis - like you'd hear bowling shoes.

Sorry, they're a bit different. I never hear sneakers in usage anymore.

That's 'cause you're in TX. Around here we call all kinds of athletic shoes sneakers - cloth, leather, synthetic - all are sneakers. If you ever hear someone say tennis Shoes, it means special shoes for tennis - like you'd hear bowling shoes.

I don't really hear "sneakers" much around here either. And I haven't heard them referred to as "tennis shoes" for many years. Mostly they're just "shoes" or "running shoes" or "athletic shoes."

Where I grew up people called flip-flops "slippers." I first heard the term "flip-flops" when I went to college. Thirty years later I still cannot bring myself to say "flip-flops" out loud.

And I've never used the word "divan" except to refer to the chicken dish. :laugh:

How about credenza?

Is that still used? My husband insists on calling the unit that holds all our office supplies a credenza. I just call it a shelf with doors (sliding doors at that); it looks like some kind of 70-80s metal office furniture.

Oooh, yes, "credenza" is one of the words that my grandma used. I'd forgotten about that one. She used it to refer to any kind of buffet piece, bookcase with doors, or a writing desk with one of those roll-up doors on top.

In Baltimore (early 1970's) the front porch was definitely a front stoop. especially if it was marble.

I grew up outside of Baltimore, and we used the word stoop, especially if it was on a row house. In fact, I still do. I think my neighbor from New Orleans called it the front step the other night.

How about credenza?

Yes! My grandmothers both used this word! We have a buffet that I still call a credenza, but I've never heard anyone else use that term.

I said the words pedal pushers to my daughter the other day and she looked at me like I was insane.  I got the word from my mother (age 75).

We used to say icebox when I was a kid. I remember my grandmother saying pedal pushers, Keds, dungarees, britches, and "mad money." Mad money was, if I understood as a child, for if you were out somewhere and got mad at the driver, you could get yourself home, although I think it had a secondary meaning of if you were out somewhere and saw something you wanted that you didn't plan for that you could go a little "mad" and buy something not in the budget . My grandmother might have been "pulling my leg"---another one of her sayings.

I still say spigot  (faucet)

My father in law asked for thongs in Wal-Mart recently. :lol:

Mad money was, if I understood as a child, for if you were out somewhere and got mad at the driver, you could get yourself home, although I think it had a secondary meaning of if you were out somewhere and saw something you wanted that you didn't plan for that you could go a little "mad" and buy something not in the budget . My grandmother might have been "pulling my leg"---another one of her sayings.

I still say spigot  (faucet)

Oh my goodness, you are right! I never knew this!!! I've only ever heard it in terms of the second meaning. So funny!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mad%20money

I've always understood spigot to be the outside faucet you attach the garden hose to.

Growing  up, it was the generic word for what most people now refer to as a faucet: http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/spigot

But the outside one seems to me more of a spigot, too! I have had to try consciously to change but it pops out sometimes!

How about credenza?

We used to have a credenza. And that was back in the 70's-80's.

We also used bolsters--special cushions for our punees. I haven't heard "bolster" used that way in at least 30 years.

I still say credenza, I could use one really. 

I say tennis shoes for any athletic footwear and I wear flip-flops. I'm not telling about thongs though. ;)

My great grandmother had a divan and an icebox. 

I'm also on a kick to make sure the word awesome never really goes out of style. It's the 80s girl in me. 

I don't know what people call athletic shoes anymore. I've not heard anyone say a word for them in a long time. I just call them trainers.

I like "mayhap". I use it frequently instead of maybe. I also use "tis" fairly often. I don't know of anyone else who uses those words regularly.