Menu

Best breastfeeding stories

unsinkable

I'll start.

My DD was about 4. We were at the beach with a single male childhood friend of mine. He was building my DD a huge sand mermaid. It was really pretty. When he was all done, my DD looked at him and said,

"You forgot her breastfeeders!"

He had made a breastless mermaid!

I'll give you my worst. DD the Elder was only a few weeks old. I was making my morning porridge (the kind you make when you're on kid #1... with flax and spirulina and wheat germ and things I can't even remember added), wearing a gape-y dressing gown. Leaned over to turn off the burner, robe now fully gaping. Nudged the pot lid and got a four inch steam burn, perfectly centered on the nipple. Couldn't not nurse on that side because engorgement made it feel even worse.

Needless to say, I wept.

My sweetest memory is when ds #1 (at about 12months) patted me after nursing and said,"Good milk."

And yes, he could talk then. He quit nursing at 15 months when I couldn't produce more on demand.

This same child tried to nurse a baby doll with his elbow when he was two.

I'll give you my worst. DD the Elder was only a few weeks old. I was making my morning porridge (the kind you make when you're on kid #1... with flax and spirulina and wheat germ and things I can't even remember added), wearing a gape-y dressing gown. Leaned over to turn off the burner, robe now fully gaping. Nudged the pot lid and got a four inch steam burn, perfectly centered on the nipple. Couldn't not nurse on that side because engorgement made it feel even worse.

Needless to say, I wept.

Ouch!

Probably 15 years of breastfeeding all total, and I'm not coming up with anything.

I must be a totally boring breastfeeding mama.

That's exactly twice as long as me. :D

I've repressed much with my second, the gymnast.  :rofl:  She, however, remembers it as a joyous time and often tells me she's sorry she stopped.

After pumping and then syringe feeding my 1st child for months (to avoid nipple confusion), I got out of the shower one day to hear him screaming in hunger.  I picked him up with milk pouring out of me (his crying +warm shower) and he turned his head and FINALLY latched on. Just like he had been doing it all along. After months of him refusing, he finally figured it out!   He was fine after that day (until my supply created a new problem).  

That one day, of finally being able to feed my baby, still stands out so clearly in my head and is my most happy Bfing moment. 

Once I was sound asleep in my bed. Youngest was sleeping in his bed. We never did cribs, it was a matress on the floor. He was hungry/thirsty so he got up, walked to my room, crawled into bed, pushed back the blankets and lached on. I am a sound sleeper so I slept through everything leading up to the first power suck.

Talk about a rude awakening. 

When our second child, the first ds, was about 7 months old, dh convinced me to go on a one day canoe trip with a bunch of co-workers and their wives. At first I was pretty reluctant because engorgement made me so uncomfortable, but ds would take a bottle for my mom since she kept him during the two music theory classes that I taught each week at the CC, and it sounded like fun. So, I expressed enough to make four bottles for him for the time we'd be gone.

We shared a canoe with one of his close friends whose wife had a baby two months after me and was BF'ing as well, her babe also staying with a grandma.

Oh.my.goodness. By noon, we hurt so bad we could hardly stand to keep going. The guys rowed the canoe over to the bank, where she and I disappeared in the woods to "water the earth" enough to get some relief. Had to do it again later in the afternoon and was never so glad to see a baby by supper time.

Did.not.do.it.again. She and I agreed it was NOT FUN!

That was the worst because with that kid, I could have nursed seven or eight babes it seemed. On the upside, it was the first time in my life when I had actual booKs instead of just pamphlets!

Faith

I was pumping at work last year and at the time, had TWO clearly marked signs. I'd already been walked in on with my cutesy sign that said "Please come back later, the lactation station is in use" and now had an additional sign stating "DO NOT ENTER I AM PUMPING BREASTMILK FOR MY BABY"  with a big red stop sign above it, bold, underlined, biggest font Word had to offer. Unfortunately, I had to pump in a room with a sliding door and it didn't have a lock. So in walks the mail carrier while I am pumping. I am facing the corner, because that's my set up, and can't even turn all the way around to see him, but he's just hanging out talking about where to put the mail if the door is closed. I just kept saying "Please close the door. Please leave. Please close the door." while he starts trying to strike up a conversation. At some point he realized that wasn't going to happen and he left, leaving the door mostly open.  :glare:

My coworker said it probably looked like I was in timeout.

We did have a contractor almost walk in once but he must have read the sign as he was in the midst of sliding the door open and basically freaked out and ran off, and again, the guy left the door partly open.  :ohmy:

We had a salesperson that would also call and ask if she could speak to me, as long I was not too busy because she didn't want to bother me while I was pumping my breasts. She would work "pumping your breasts" or "doing your breast thing" into every conversation for months.

DS nursed until 22 months.  When he was 25 mo., he rediscovered breastfeeding while watching a newborn at church.  He was fascinated and asked me about it all the time.  He ended up summing it up by excitedly declaring, "Anna sucks!" every time he saw "Baby Anna."  I made sure to explain to his mom what he meant by that!  We had a good laugh over it.

I squirted a lactation consultant in the face one time. She was really nice about it, said it wasn't the first time it'd happened.

Another time I had to go to the ER and we were there MUCH longer than I (foolishly) expected. I was leaking like crazy and had no more pads to catch it, and I was so engorged it was painful on TOP of what I was already there for. Once I finally was in a bed I had my Dh find a bed pan and I sat hunched over it as I dripped into it, TRYING to hand express but they were so hard it didn't work well and so painful that I was crying. Right about then a male nurse walked in and said "WHAT are you DOING?!!?" I guess he hadn't had enough exposure to breastfeeding as a kid. :p

With DD: I had her in the baby carrier on my chest around a year and a half old. She was bf'ing at a bus stop, and I carried on a conversation with a woman in formal business attire who was on her way to the Republican National Convention. She talked to me for several minutes, then leaned forward, asking if the baby was asleep.

The look of horror on her face as she got an eyeful of boob was priceless (getting very close up in our space was the only way to see anything). She didn't give me a chance to say, "No, she's eating!" It very abruptly ended the conversation.

A couple ...

With our first, we usually put him into his crib.  If he woke at night, dh would get up and bring him into bed for me to nurse him.  We all fell asleep.  I woke up to a slapping sound and couldn't figure it out.  I saw dh slapping his own face.  Baby was nursing and the other side was squirting him in the face. 

When I went back to work, ds was nearly a year, but still nursing.  Due to the fact that he was allergic to cows milk and that he had been in the hospital with pneumonia and was released much earlier than expected, I was determined to continue nursing.  Which meant pumping at work.  I used to reserve a conference room and put signs on the door.  I would face away from the door just in case anyone accidentally walked in.  Well, one day the window washers were at work and got an eyeful.  I learned to shut the blinds after that. 

My middle son called nursing "mommies."  He liked to name them based upon location.  We had "upstairs mommies," "blue chair mommies," "pink chair mommies," and "TV mommies," and "night-night mommies."  He did not like "phone mommies." 

No great stories, but two of my children nursed until they were 3 years old, old enough to discuss the taste of my milk. Both of them told me it tasted like ice cream. No wonder they were so hard to wean...

My milk is really creamy, my babies gain about a pound a week when they're little.

Once when eldest was 7 or 8, I was with him at a regional Awana Olympics (many teams competing in a *very loud* gym.  His team was not competing, so I took youngest ds--then close to a year old--out into the stairwell and sat on the stairs to nurse him.  Youngest was tired, overstimulated, and beyond cranky, and sank gratefully into the breast to nurse and regroup.

Pretty soon, here comes a Chatty Charlie, probably a mid-sixties guy who wants to talk about his grandkids, his team's performance...you name it.  He was standing leaning on the wall but directly facing me about 10 feet or so from me, and thankfully I was a bit up the stairs from him so baby and bOOks were just about exactly on his eye level, not below it--thank goodness.  When he first came out, I had put my hand over baby's face, but I knew it would be getting hot, and ds was prone to dramatic unlatching when he got hot and sweaty. 

I kept thinking, "oh, please God this baby doesn't unlatch" and dreading the embarrassing moment when it dawned on him what I was *really* doing.   I was finally able to ease ds off and I can't remember what I asked the guy, to see who was playing, or get me a water bottle or something, but he looked away and I was able to get ds out from under the t-shirt.

I was pretty proud of my "skillz" after all those years of nursing, and grateful that Chatty Charlie was such a noob that he didn't recognize the tell-tale signs.

When DS was born, we stayed in the hospital for a week because he had an infection that was being treated with IV antibiotics.  My milk came in right at 24 hours and he never lost a single ounce of weight.  His pediatrician was a matter-of-fact, 60-year-old, boot and giant belt-buckle wearing cowgirl.  She told me I "must be a Jersey cow because I had really rich milk".  It's probably a good thing I was gung ho about breastfeeding because I could see some first-time moms being upset by being called a cow when their hormones are all out of whack!  I thought it was funny, though.

One time, when dd was about 20 months old, she came up with milk streaming all over her chin and crying. I wondered if something was poking her or what in the world had happened and I asked her what was wrong.

"Want dat choc-lit milk!" she sobbed. Sorry, babe, it's only got one flavor! lol

From then on ds was convinced that he was being cheated because *he* didn't get chocolate milk, either!

It's not particularly amusing (can't think of anything funny offhand!) but I LOVED when my kids were at the tail end of nursing. Nineteen months apart, they tandem nursed for nearly two more years and when they actually were nursing together, they held hands. It was SOO sweet.

You'd never know it to meet them now. :p

For some reason (I cannot remember) I was hand expressing into a mixing bowl on the couch-- (I think my ds went from a growth spurt of eating lots-- then to sleeping lots, so I was oversupplied and engorged). Later in the day, I looked over on the couch and my 2yo dd was on the couch, leaning over a small mixing bowl, pinching her nipples.

Currently nursing my 24 month old. A few weeks ago, the 24 month old knocked some books off the shelf. My other son who is four picked up "The womanly art of breastfeeding" and started thumbing through it. He paused on a page and said "Mommy's it's like you and brother!" thumbs some more and say "uh oh mommy your suppose to be feed [brother] laying in bed."  

Ok, I didn't think of much until I read the cow one! We milk cows, and dh says I'm a good cow because I have a high fat content. My babies gain about 1 lb. a week for the first 12 weeks! But, he says he'd have to cull me (get rid of me) if I was really a cow because I don't 'breed back right away' (most cows get bred again within 60 days of calving.) I am, however, thankful not getting pg right away! Or I'd have to keep the bull away.

A dear friend told me she had a strong let down reflex. How strong? Once, she got up to respond to her crying baby who was standing in her crib. Dd's hubby got up a minute later and saw his DW a few YARDS from the babe, spouting milk like a fountain, while the sweet little one was open-mouthed, trying to catch the stream of milk!

As I neared the two years mark with Dd, I was pretty much done with nursing, but she wasn't. My boys made up a song, based on Feliz Navidad--(we called nursing "na-na"--)

Feliz Navi-na-na, Feliz Navi-na-na...

We don't want you to na na anymore, we don't want you to na na anymore...

Ok, I didn't think of much until I read the cow one! We milk cows, and dh says I'm a good cow because I have a high fat content. My babies gain about 1 lb. a week for the first 12 weeks! But, he says he'd have to cull me (get rid of me) if I was really a cow because I don't 'breed back right away' (most cows get bred again within 60 days of calving.) I am, however, thankful not getting pg right away! Or I'd have to keep the bull away.

oh my....I get it! We raise cows too.

I would lock my dh out of the bedroom when I was pumping because he would moo at me.

I would lock my dh out of the bedroom when I was pumping because he would moo at me.

:lol: 

I warned dh he better not yell "It's a heifer!" if we had a girl. However, he still refers to women giving birth as calving...

We always wondered if the DHI testers would know the difference if we sent a human milk sample. I was always curious what I would test as far as butterfat, protein, and scc.

I have one of those too but my husband is a beef cattleman, not dairy.

I was due with baby number one exactly one week after the first-calf heifers (800 of them) were due to start calving. DH started night checks about a week or two before they were due, so he liked to tell people he'd poke me at the 2AM check to see if my tail was cranked yet, then he'd head out the door. ;)

Shortly after DS was born, I wound up in the hospital with kidney stones. Then I got an infection from the stint they placed prior to my lithotripsy appt. and was hospitalized for that.
THEN, within 12 months of DS's birth, I was having gallbladder attacks so bad I was supposed to have it removed and discovered I was a pregnant with DD. The gall bladder had to hold on til after she was born...

For a few years there, DH told friends I was a bit of a chronic, but I bred back well so he'd run me another year. :rolleyes:

My youngest liked to pull my shirt down over it, he called it his "club". More specifically, he called it his "booby club"!

My dh joked the baby wanted some "booby", and wouldn't you know, at 6 months the bugger had his first word...booby. That was it, no nice euphemisms round here, it was "I want booby"! At the top of his toddler lungs. And his preschooler lungs. He finds all these stories uniformly horrifying now at 12, of course.

A story above reminded me of this.

I could have feed a nation. Once I was driving a 90 minute drive to my parents house. I forgot to put in pads, but when I arrived one my pants where noticable and uncomfortable wet. Yup, my shirt was soggy, my pants wet. It was icky. 

I use to be able to squeeze my nipple and launch across the room. At one time Baby Blues had a comic strip where someone asks for some milk and you see a squirt of milk fly across the table and into a coffee cup. I could have done that. :) (Should I be proud is the question?)

My nephew was looking at some cows with his Mom. A mother was feeding her calf. My Nephew asked, "Why is the baby sucking his penis". She then explained about feeding, and my dear Nephew said, "Oh like Julie".  :glare:

I had a little acrobat with #2. At 4 mo, she began flipping herself after 10 secs. Back and forth, back and forth, the whole nursing session. There was no covering up at home...it all hung out!

With #3, she weighed so much that she slept long and deep from the start so I had mastitis twice. On the first round, we took a trip to help some friends work on their new house. Their mother and fil were with us and they happened to be a lactation nurse and MD. I walked into the nurse's room at night and showed her what was happening. By morning, she walked into my room and saw me huddled in a ball shaking with fever. Less than two hours later, they'd written a prescription and had it filled for me and then took the baby so I could rest. It was a mercy that those two people were with us because we were in another state and our insurance was a bugger at the time. I would've been horribly sick by the time an ER would've gotten their stuff together.

probably that I was able to teach dudeling to nurse.  he had no interest.  I expressed and put it in a bottle - and he had no interest.  (turns out he didn't recognize hunger and had no suck instinct, though he was capable - just to make things more complicated.) he couldn't latch.  for two solid months, nursing was a major production for every feeding.  If I hadn't been an experienced nursing mom, I probably would have given up in tears.

then I let him nurse until I wanted to run screaming when he looked at me that way.  One night I woke up and he was latched on.  I think he climbed in my bed by himself . . . . my life as a binky.

I weaned 1ds when he was 18months.  he took exception to that and hit me for six months. . . . . he liked nursing.  he was my gourmet. I had to teach him how to latch too - but it was because he liked licking the tips (which had me in pain) and I had to shove my nipple down his throat! 

I lived in a very rural area when my daughter was born and no one around breastfed their children. My husband pastored a little one room church and we lived in the parsonage next door. I would walk over before church, teach adult Sunday School while the folks passed the baby around, but then she needed to nurse so I would walk home to feed her during the church service. The church folks didn't like this. They wanted me to bring bottles of formula so I could feed her at church. (Nursing her in church was not an option - I tried it once in the back fully covered with a blanket and caused a major scene). I was adement that I was not going to give my baby formula and one lady actually stood up in church and said "babies and bottles just go together".

The kids in the church were fascinated the time I tried nursing in the back of church and all stared at me the whole time. When some of the kids were at my house one of them asked me what I was doing and I had to explain that mamas can feed babies just like mama cows can feed calves. They literally had no idea!

I lived in a very rural area when my daughter was born and no one around breastfed their children. My husband pastored a little one room church and we lived in the parsonage next door. I would walk over before church, teach adult Sunday School while the folks passed the baby around, but then she needed to nurse so I would walk home to feed her during the church service. The church folks didn't like this. They wanted me to bring bottles of formula so I could feed her at church. (Nursing her in church was not an option - I tried it once in the back fully covered with a blanket and caused a major scene). I was adement that I was not going to give my baby formula and one lady actually stood up in church and said "babies and bottles just go together".

The kids in the church were fascinated the time I tried nursing in the back of church and all stared at me the whole time. When some of the kids were at my house one of them asked me what I was doing and I had to explain that mamas can feed babies just like mama cows can feed calves. They literally had no idea!

With DD: I had her in the baby carrier on my chest around a year and a half old. She was bf'ing at a bus stop, and I carried on a conversation with a woman in formal business attire who was on her way to the Republican National Convention. She talked to me for several minutes, then leaned forward, asking if the baby was asleep.

The look of horror on her face as she got an eyeful of boob was priceless (getting very close up in our space was the only way to see anything). She didn't give me a chance to say, "No, she's eating!" It very abruptly ended the conversation.

^ This exact thing happened to me at the farmer's market.

When my youngest was hospitalized, he was only 3 weeks old and the hospital was very bf-friendly. Since all his nurses were women, I would feed the baby without any cover or anything and he was going through a stage (since he was sick)

where all he wanted to do was lay on my chest/stomach, nurse and cuddle the whole day. His doctor in the PICU was awesome and always knocked and waited for me to tell him to come in, that I was covered...etc, and made sure I was comfortable before he came in. One day, I was nursing the baby and he popped off, full and snoozy, so I let him rest on my chest as I laid on the bed they had provided for me and watched the cooking network. Doc came in and asked permission, and I told him it was fine and he had several med students with him. I leaned over to lay the baby on his back on the bed so he could examine him and after a moment, realized, to my horror, that the way my clothes were, the baby was covering up my chest so every person in the room was getting a full shot of the girls (I *think* at least that I had remembered to tuck them back  into a bra lol). I quickly grabbed the blanket and pulled it up to my chest and said to the doctor 'um..I...um...*blush blush*' lol and he took mercy on me and turned to the med students and told them all to turn around (toward the wall) and he did the same until I was settled and covered up. LOL.

"God made my boobies to feed my baby real milk! Don't like it? Take it up with Him!"

I love reading these! Of all the things I thought I'd miss about not having a baby/toddler anymore, never did I ever imagine that nursing would at the top of the list. I do miss it, though, and get misty whenever I see a mama nursing *sigh*

OK, here's the best one I can come up with. I was working in Manhattan the day that the huge East Coast blackout happened, and I had a 9-month-old DD (my oldest) at home. I was only in the city two days a week then, and I usually arrived home around 4:30 and nursed her right away. Thankfully, I had pumped at work around 11 a.m., but I used a manual pump, so it wasn't a huge amount, and she was still a VERY dedicated nurser at that point (well, pretty much at every point!), so I always had plenty of milk. 

After the power went out in our building, we all walked out of the office at around 3:00, headed across town to Penn Station, and got turned away there--at that point we were just starting to realize that something really big was going on. I started chatting with two strangers around my age, and someone had heard that the ferry was running, so a huge throng of people headed over there. No ferries. The girl that I was now traveling with walked up to a woman stuck in traffic headed up to the George Washington Bridge and asked her for a ride for the three of us, and the woman said, "Sure, hop in!" 

By that point it was probably around 5:00, and I was starting to get uncomfortable. We sat in that angelic woman's air conditioned car for the next three hours, until she managed to drop us off at what was still the Meadowlands Arena in NJ, where DH finally managed to track us down before my phone died. By then it was 9:00, and I was in agony. Both the people I was traveling with were headed out by us in NJ, so they rode in the back of my (blessedly) spacious minivan while I hunched over in the front seat and attempted to carry on a normal conversation while surreptitiously pumping both my breasts with my little manual pump! Given the stress of the situation, I didn't get much milk, but it was enough to take the edge off. 

DH and I picked DD up from her grandmother's house and he dropped me off at our house, where I proceeded to nurse that baby for like, the next two hours. Ah, sweet, sweet relief :lol: That was a very long day!

When my youngest baby was 3 months old, I flew with her on a four seater plane from Texas to Iowa to see the world reknown clubfoot specialist Dr. Ponseti.  During the second leg of our flight, the copilot informed me that the pilot was having health issues and we would need to make an emergency landing at a nearby airport.  We landed, and an ambulance was waiting on the tarmac of this little regional airport.  I sat in the back of the plane and nursed dd while the pilot was taken off via ambulance to the hospital.  Also while nursing, my cell phone rang and it was the hospital in Iowa trying to verify my insurance information, but I had left my insurance card in Texas.  So I kept nursing while I called dh to get the info and then called the hospital back.  The copilot approached me at one point and suggested that we drive to the hospital to check on the pilot.  When I had finished nursing, we did just that.

Then I nursed dd in the hospital lobby while he checked on the status of the pilot, whom the hospital was keeping due to heart issues.  We decided to eat lunch in the hospital cafeteria and did so with dd in her carseat.  I nursed one more time, and the copilot drove us back to the airport and flew me the rest of the way to Iowa by himself.  These were volunteer pilots (Angel Flight) so I didn't know either of them.  All of this was on my 39th birthday.  It was a memorable one.  :)

My uncle had a heart attack when my third was just 6 weeks old and I drove all night to get to see him.

We got to the hospital and he was in a semi private room. DD got hungry and I left the room to nurse on a bench outside the room (out of the way and not really visible by anyone in the room or the main hallway/nurses station.

I can't remember if I covered up (none of mine really liked a blanket and always pulled it off, but I wasn't too keen on baring it all-- so I know I was discreet). A nurse walked by and told me that what I was doing was inappropriate to do where I was (it wasn't a busy public place and really only someone walking to the room would even know I was there--and even then, they couldn't see anything) she offered to show me a bathroom. I gave her one of those "you've got to be kidding/drop dead" stares and told her that I was happy right where I was. No one bothered me again.

When this dd was a few weeks old we were staying in the children's hospital for a few weeks with her big sister, all the nurses knew us and wanted to see the new baby. One of our lovely young male nurses was on night duty so I pulled back the covers on the fold out cot we were in to show him the baby and after seeing his suprise, looked down and saw that as well as sleeping baby I was flashing exposed breasts.

By the end of that year they were used to seeing me walking around with a baby attached to me. Eldest dd didn't like me in the room for her treatment and the parents room was child-free.

Thought of another one. I was hanging about the nurses station chatting to one of the doctors we knew (who wasn't our doctor). I said I had to go and feed the babe on my hip. Without thinking he asked "Which one?", without thinking I did the automatic pat/cup of each breast and said, "This one."

Then we both realised the inapproriateness of the conversation and laughed. He said his wife always did that and it cracked him up.

After reading everyone's posts I am so glad that I live here. Here  just about everyone breastfeeds, and nobody covers up. It is viewed as a perfectly natural thing to o and nobody is offended by seeing a mother feeding their baby with the equipment that was designed for that purpose.  I fed mine on demand wherever I was whenever they were hungry. If that was on public transport, in the shopping center or wherever no problem.

Thought of another one. I was hanging about the nurses station chatting to one of the doctors we knew (who wasn't our doctor). I said I had to go and feed the babe on my hip. Without thinking he asked "Which one?", without thinking I did the automatic pat/cup of each breast and said, "This one."

Then we both realised the inapproriateness of the conversation and laughed. He said his wife always did that and it cracked him up.

I always did the breast pat thing too. :laugh:

After reading everyone's posts I am so glad that I live here. Here  just about everyone breastfeeds, and nobody covers up. It is viewed as a perfectly natural thing to o and nobody is offended by seeing a mother feeding their baby with the equipment that was designed for that purpose.  I fed mine on demand wherever I was whenever they were hungry. If that was on public transport, in the shopping center or wherever no problem.

Same here.

The thought of going some where special to do it, and other things just never occurred to me.

In my mind if it was the same as giving your baby a bottle. No one every made an inappropriate comment to myself. Also no one I know every got told me of getting one which occurred in this area in the last decade.

Same here.

The thought of going some where special to do it, and other things just never occurred to me.

In my mind if it was the same as giving your baby a bottle. No one every made an inappropriate comment to myself. Also no one I know every got told me of getting one which occurred in this area in the last decade.