Menu

Makeup

Night Elf

When you say you put on makeup everyday, what products are you putting on? Foundation? Blush? Mascara? I have such blonde eyelashes that I would like to wear mascara but I think it would look weird if I didn't wear anything else. But I haven't worn makeup in 12 years when I worked in an office and went out to meet clients. Back then, I used a powder base and the works on top. But that just seems like too much for my lifestyle now. What do I have to wear with mascara to not look like strange? How made up do I really need to be? My mom told me I've reached the age where a little makeup is needed. *sigh*

You're mom actually said that to you?  I would have just :glare: at my mom for a statement like that and probably not have taken her seriously. 

If you feel comfortable not wearing makeup, don't wear it.  If you want to wear mascara, I'd suggest wearing one in brown, since it will be less obvious than black.

For a work day, I wear pressed powder, blush, 2 eyeshadow colors, mascara, and lip gloss. Sometimes I add primer and an eyeshadow liner.  I don't usually wear make up on the weekend unless we have a special event to attend.

Oh, mom.  I don't think there's ever an age where makeup is *needed*.   I feel better wearing a little bit because my skin tends toward pink/red and it evens me out.

I haven't been able to wear any kind of foundation for about 2 years, including mineral makeup, which I used to think was the cat's meow. It all feels very heavy now--like my skin can't breathe.  The solution was tinted moisturizer w/SPF.  I use a primer, tinted moisturizer, and a light powder dusting in my T-zone.  I've found that if I don't wear mascara, people ask if I'm feeling OK :glare: , so I use black-brown mascara EVERY day on my light brown eyelashes. That's it.

I wear just a little make-up. I don't know how to put eye liner on! lol

When I'm tanned in the summer - powder and lip gloss.

When I'm white in the winter - some liquid foundation, a touch of powder, blush and lip gloss.

That's all. Today, I have on powder and chap stick.

Mascara comes in all sorts of colors. I would try to find a subtle color close to your hair color.

you can wear mascara alone.  I would choose a brown, or brown/black.  not a solid black.  make sure it is one that doesn't clump, but will give a smooth, even coat to your lashes. 

my eyelashes and eyebrows have darkened over the years.  they used to be "you-can't-see-me" blonde.

I too have pale red eyelashes and like to wear mascara. But I'm like you and feel like I need something else with it. I really like the BB and CC creams. They are light and easy to put on, like lotion, but they do even out your skin a bit. I'm in TX, and its hot, but I don't have much trouble with it sweating and running.

My mother wears mascara only. Actually, and maybe a little blush. She is always talking about no one being able to see her eyelashes unless she wears it. But she puts on waaaaaaaaaay too much, so no one can miss her eyelashes. So don't do that. ;- ). My routine for the last few years is a little concealer where needed, blush, powder, and mascara, with a bit of lipgloss when I go out.

There's nothing at all wrong with wearing just mascara.  As others have said, I'd go with brown or brown/black for a more natural look.  But don't let your mom bully you into it.  Wear it only if you want to, and only if it makes you feel better about yourself.

I'm very minimalist -- Almay Smart Shade Anti-Aging foundation and bit of concealer to cover up a dark "age" spot on my check, and sometimes tinted lip balm if I think about it.  I'd like to wear mascara, but I can't find a brand that doesn't irritate my eyes.  But it's all very minimal.  A tad too much and I feel dirty all day.

I'm probably at 'that age' but only wear make-up when I feel like it. I have red hair and invisilashes, so black mascara can look fake and overboard if I don't wear other makeup. BROWN mascara, not black-brown, just brown, is perfect for me. I 'can' wear just that. If I bother with the mascara, I generally brush my face with mineral foundation and add a bit of blush and tinted lip balm. Even if I go fancy and do a bit of eyeliner and eye shadow, this is all a 5 minute deal. It takes 2-3 minutes if I just do mascara, powder, blush, lip balm. I've also been experimenting with tinted moisturizer because I'm getting to the point where mineral foundation isn't the best choice anymore. It has moisturizer, sunscreen, and a little skin-evening tint to make things 'nicer' but look completely invisible.

I went years with no or little make-up and I have started wearing it daily. I do think I look a lot better, which makes me feel better. I typically do; foundation, powder, lipstick, eyeliner, mascara, and brows (I just fill them in a bit, thick brows look youthful you know. :coolgleamA: ). I love Lisa Eldridge's site. :)

I've been wearing tinted sunscreen ever since I left my last corporate job but lately I've been thinking about switching to BB cream (all the raves have me curious). During the rainy season I usually add blush. Lip gloss in the morning and if I remember to re-apply during the day.

When I wear makeup (mostly for social occasions these days) I add concealer, Clinique Touch Base for Eyes, shadow, eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick.

I have a full-time office job and have blotchy skin, so I put on makeup every workday morning. I use primarily Bare Escentuals. I put on undereye concealer, foundation, mineral veil, rose radiance, neutral eye shadow, eye liner (most of the time as it helps hide any mascara oopsies), and mascara. I don't wear lipstick or lip gloss. I've never liked the feel of having something on my lips and I drink water all day long so don't want the stuff on my water bottle. I'm sure I look weird with makeup and no lipstick, but that's just the way it is.

I wore makeup for a period of time as a teen, but then stopped wearing it until about 7-8 years ago. I never liked the feel of liquid makeup on my skin, it always felt like a mask. If I hadn't have found BE, I probably would still not be wearing makeup.

I've been wearing tinted sunscreen ever since I left my last corporate job but lately I've been thinking about switching to BB cream (all the raves have me curious). During the rainy season I usually add blush. Lip gloss in the morning and if I remember to re-apply during the day.

When I wear makeup (mostly for social occasions these days) I add concealer, Clinique Touch Base for Eyes, shadow, eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick.

What is BB cream?

If you don't want to wear it, don't.

That being said, I put on a lotion (for dry skin), dab on a few puffs of foundation powder, brush lightly with some mineral blush, put on some gray eye shadow on my bottom lid only (just enough so that it stands out a tiny bit, but not like eye-liner at all), and then put on some soft black/brown mascara, which I then take a Kleenex to and wipe off most of it so that it looks completely natural. :)

If you don't care for make-up, don't wear it. I think mascara would be fine.

I feel like the odd man out here with this, but yes, I wear make-up (the whole shebang) almost daily; foundation, bronzer or blush, eye shadow, mascara. I do not put anything on my lips though (hate the way it cakes).

I wear a moisturizer, foundation (Laura Mercier), blush, eyeliner, eyeshadow (neutral color), mascara, and lipgloss.  I

I've worn mascara by itself.  I can't see why you can't.  

I didn't use to wear much, if any, make-up.  Somewhere in my late 30's when people started asking me if I was sick (all of the time, at least 2x's a day from different people!) I decided I needed to wear some makeup. I keep it natural looking.  

I have a light completion with dirty blonde hair/eyebrows and I too would suggest a black-brown mascara. My lashes look so fake when I use black.

In addition to mascara, I usually put in a tinted lip gloss. If I wear lipstick, I have to put on some foundation too as the darker color brings out the red splotches in my face.

Now I just need someone to show me how to color in my eyebrows. :)

The bare minimum for me is tinted moisturizer (I really like te garnier BB cream), concealer, blush, and mascara.

I usually also wear bronzer, eyeshadow, brow powder and sometimes eyeliner. I also curl my eyelashes.

I wear makeup because I LOVE it not because somebody thinks I should wear it. If you don't like makeup, don't wear it.

I put on lipstick every time I leave the house (I keep 'em stashed all over), but nothing else... just like my mother. We haven't had a conversation about makeup since I was 17 ;) but it turns out my comfort zone landed at the same spot right about the same age.

My skin shows the effects of 40-mumble years of fun in the sun, but my husband insists my face looks better au naturel. Since he's the one who has to look at me the most, I'll go with that. I do put on foundation (usually just tinted moisturizer & a little concealer), eye color, mascara, liner, and blush if we're going Out, but that's about it.

Funny how I probably need it more (according to some), but I care far less than 15-20 years ago!

I wear the full face for work and church: foundation (Urban Decay's Naked Skin), eye primer (love Lorac's eye primer), pore minimizer (Benefit's PoreFessional not only minimizes pores, but minimizes those pesky lines around the eyes), eye shadow (usually matte neutrals by Stila, but I also like Clinique's chubby eye shadow sticks and they have a bit of luminescence about them), mascara (Benefit's They're Real mascara), blush (Clinique or if it's a hot, humid day, I like Benefit's Benetint cheek stain), eye liner (Urban Decay, Stila's Smudge sticks or Sephora's brand), a bit of bronzer (Benefit has a nice on that's not sparkly), a bit of highlighter (Benefit's Sun Beam), and lip color (either Clinique's Almost Lipstick or their Chubby Stick lip balms). 

On Saturday, if I plan to leave the house, it's just L'Oreal's BB cream (Garnier's is good, too), some neutral eye shadow and mascara. Maybe lip balm if my lips are dry. 

The least I do every day -- yeah, even if all I'm doing is mucking stalls and housecleaning -- is brown/black mascara, tinted lip balm (I like Burt's Bees), eyebrow pencil, and a bit of tinted moisturizer/sunscreen (what I actually use is EL bb cream that does all that, very little bit goes a long way).

On working days, I add eyeshadow and liner, might use black instead of brown mascara, switch the lip balm for gloss or a neutral pink lipstick, a light touch of blush, and a dusting of powder.

I will go out for quick errands to the grocery or post office w/out makeup. If I'm doing other things, my minimum is foundation, mascara and eye liner, with lipstick if I remember it. For some reason, I forget lipstick easily. My full routine would be just adding eye shadow, powder and blush to that. If my skin tone is pretty even, I don't use the powder. I do use an eye cream at night to try to lessen the circles under my eyes, but that isn't makeup. 

What is BB cream?

BB stands for Blemish Balm or Blemish Base, and CC stands for Colour Correction.

It's basically a heavier tinted moisturizer.  Something between that and a full foundation, I guess.  I prefer a tinted moisturizer myself, which gives a nice healthy sheen without the look of makeup at all.

Slight tangent regarding bb/cc creams...

I might be returning to work soon. I have these horrid dark spots I got with my last pregnancy near my eyes that never faded. :p When I interview, I go all out and use concealer with my foundation which helps to cover them. Otherwise, in day to day life, I wear nothing. Before these spots, I was fine with tinted lip balm and sometimes might splurge with tinted moisturizer for work. Would either of these creams with a concealer do the same? Might I be able to drop the concealer?

I love makeup, but I never wear it while I'm at home or just an errand or two to run.

But when I do wear it (church, etc) I wear mascara, eyeliner( (couldn't live without eyeliner), multiple colors of eyeshadow, powder, eyebrow liner & powder, lip gloss.

If we are going somewhere and I Really want to look nice (wedding, etc.) I wear all of the above but also eye and face primer, concealer, contouring/highlighting powder, bronzer, and maybe some fake eyelashes. Like I said... I love makeup :)

I too have pale red eyelashes and like to wear mascara. But I'm like you and feel like I need something else with it. I really like the BB and CC creams. They are light and easy to put on, like lotion, but they do even out your skin a bit. I'm in TX, and its hot, but I don't have much trouble with it sweating and running.

Nevermind, this was answered already. I now know what BB and CC cream are. :)

In the winter, I do (at most) BB cream (I order mine from Korea - it's not the tinted moisturizers marketed as BB cream here), eyeliner, mascara and lipstick. (As in my avatar)

In summer, it's mascara and tinted lip balm, maybe eyeliner if I'm working.

I wore make up as a teen, and young adult. I stopped wearing it during my married/mom years. I started again after graduation and when I began working in an office.

I wear foundation (I just started using primer, but I often forget!), concealer sometimes, eye liner (top), blush, mascara, and eye shadow. My lashes and brows are also invisible, so I use brow powder or they look funny since everything else has some color enhancement.

I often take a break from the routine on Saturdays or Sundays.