Menu

It feels like every adult fiction book

Chris in VA

Is about murder, adultery, childhood abuse, or the trials of living with a pet.

There isn't much to do around here but read...I don't want a "classic" or a mystery, a bodice ripper, or an angst fest.

So...recommendations?

So far I've read Map of the World, The Lost World, The Painted House, I dared to call him father, Ender's Game and a children's book about a horse.

Some I've read and enjoyed:

Kon Tiki

Never Cry Wolf

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much

Lies My Teacher Told Me

Bellwether

The Foundation Trilogy

Tuesdays With Morrie

The Housekeeper and the Professor

In a Sunburned Country

Summer at Tiffany

The Wilder Life

any book by Malcolm Gladwell

The Mouse That Roared

Cheaper by the Dozen

84 Charing Cross Road

The Duchess of Bloomsbury

I know this is sacrilege to some, but I disliked the Mitford series. I read the first two and gave the rest to Goodwill.

Kon-tiki might work. I don't know if they have it here.

Hated Tuesdays... I rarely like books about non-Christian spirituality, although I can appreciate them. Heck, I rarely like Christian fiction.

I know, so many love it.

Thanks for the list.

Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore

Where'd You Go Bernadette

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

For books easy to find at any day at any library, Anne Taylor, Ann Patchett and Barbara Kingsolver (the Bean Trees is my favorite).

How about Edgar Allen Poe? or Don Quixote? Brothers Karamazov? Moby Dick? If you can get on the Gutenberg site (and I can't imagine that's blocked, but maybe public domain laws are different?) you can get just about any classic. How about Dickens or Jane Austen?

I like the books by Thomas Kincaid (yes, the artist). They are fiction.

Do you like sci-fi or fantasy? How about the Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher? Harry is a private eye in modern day Chicago, but he's also a real wizard. No, of course just about no one believes that he is.

ETA: I'm remembering that the Dresden books are kinda gory. Stick with the Thomas Kincaid books.

I really enjoyed Orson Scott Card's ender's game series. (not the shadow books). he get's into some good cerebral cogitation. ender's game was actually written as a prequel for the (unwritten/unpublished, but in his head) 'sequel' speaker for the dead. (and you really do have to read ender's game first to have a clue what is going on. the movie is due to be released in Nov.)

Not quite sure if I know what you are looking for...

I enjoyed Susanna Kearsley's The Winter Sea and The Shadowy Horses. I will say that both books had very similar bones, so I don't know that I'd read another, but I might. Light, historical fiction; they were clean.

I'm currently reading The Restorer by Sharon Hinck. *I* am enjoying it, but it is definitely a Christian fiction, fantasy genre book. I could see it not being for someone if they didn't like those types of books.

Well, there's always the Jeeves & Wooster books by P.G. Wodehouse, if you want a laugh. They shouldn't be difficult to find online, and the tv version with Stephen Fry & Hugh Laurie is awesome. The Blandings Castle series (same author) is lots of fun too.

I know you said you didn't want mystery books, but I enjoyed the Campion series by Margery Allingham. I think they're more adventure than mystery, but if you absolutely hate "what happened to Great Aunt Agatha's will" type stories, you'd probably want to pass on it. The tv series from the late 80s/early 90s with Peter Davison keeps fairly close to the books.

Seconding the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency though admittedly the first book is a bit slow. But once you get through that and get to know all the characters the rest of the books are light and fun.

I've also enjoyed these other McCall-Smith series: Portuguese Irregular Verbs (von Igelfeld series) and 44 Scotland Street. The von Igelfeld books are novellas about a professor of Portuguese. The Scotland Street books are written as a serial so the chapters are very short. The stories are about the people who live in the flats at 44 Scotland St.

What I like about McCall Smith's books is that they're just about people and their quirks. They get into funny and awkward situations that we can relate to. Nothing overly exciting happens, yet I find the stories engaging. I usually listen on audiobook, though.

How about a book that takes place in the Middle East? Hmmm...unfortunately, I can't think of any! But maybe you could google "novels set in the Middle East."

When my husband and I lived in Cairo, I did find a library associated with a university there, and found one shelf of English novels. (I had a lot of long hours alone because my husband was in school there.) I wonder if you could find a university library?

A good scary book? John Dies at the End. It's horror & absurd mixed. Completely bizarre & totally funny, imo. Or, World War Z is actually a good book (& I'm not into 'zombie' books).

(In your first post, though, you mentioned no murder. Just so you know, both of these 'horror' books contain death.)

A light summer read that I recently enjoyed Phoebe & the Ghost of Chagall.

Haruki Murakami's books are good. They're adult fiction, not genre fiction for the most part, and they won't make you mind-numbingly depressed like every other adult fiction book out there where some guy reflects on how he ruined his life for four hundred pages.

Not quite sure if I know what you are looking for...

I enjoyed Susanna Kearsley's The Winter Sea and The Shadowy Horses. I will say that both books had very similar bones, so I don't know that I'd read another, but I might. Light, historical fiction; they were clean.

I have really enjoyed her books. I've read all of hers that you can get on Kindle (she has a few titles that aren't available). If you like her you might also like Kate Morton.

Considering your location, what about some of Brock & Bodie Thoene's historical fiction? They wrote several series set from WWII through the beginning of Israeli statehood. You may enjoy The Twilight of Courage. It's a stand alone novel that falls chronologically between the series.

If you like Christian fiction, have you read Lynn Austin's Chronicles of the Kings series? First book is Gods and Kings, set in the time of King Hezekiah. It's not challenging reading, but hey, it's summer, aye? (ETA I got G & K free on kindle not too long ago, maybe it's still available.)

Sorry, but I have to ask - why aren't you out sight (site?) seeing every day instead of having not much to do but read?

Are there travel or regional books available? When I am in a similar situation, I read a lot about the place where I am because I can usually find those sorts of books.

And for a totally different topic, how's the cooking coming? I remember your thread about that from a few months ago. I hope things are going well and that's it's not too hot.

Go for Sci-fy. :)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Any books by Robert J. Sawyer

Oh, oh, something very Heavy on Science that i talked about in another thread. The triliogy that starts with "Inherit the Stars"

http://www.amazon.co...72357757&sr=1-1

Or if you want light and funny, try the Xanth series by Piers Anthony.

ETA: The inherit the stars might be about solving a murder. All they know is that a man was found on the moon. The man is dead, and has been dead for 50,000 years. When the mystery is solved all the pieces fit into place in a way that makes perfect sense. Great series.

Connie Willis: Bellwether and To Say Nothing of the Dog. Both awesome.

Bellwether:

Sandra Foster studies fads and their meanings for the HiTek corporation. Bennet O'Reilly works with monkey group behavior and chaos theory for the same company. When the two are thrust together due to a misdelivered package and a run of seemingly bad luck, they find a joint project in a flock of sheep. But a series of setbacks and disappointments arise before they are able to find answers to their questions.

To Say Nothing of the Dog:

Ned Henry is badly in need of a rest. He's been shuttling between the 21st century and the 1940s searching for a Victorian atrocity called the bishop's bird stump. It's part of a project to restore the famed Coventry Cathedral, destroyed in a Nazi air raid over a hundred years earlier. But then Verity Kindle, a fellow time traveler, inadvertently brings back something from the past. Now Ned must jump back to the Victorian era to help Verity put things right--not only to save the project but to prevent altering history itself.

Are there travel or regional books available? When I am in a similar situation, I read a lot about the place where I am because I can usually find those sorts of books.

And for a totally different topic, how's the cooking coming? I remember your thread about that from a few months ago. I hope things are going well and that's it's not too hot.

I've read up on all the places. Frankly, I am sick of the Israeli/Palestinian stuff--I don't want any.more.history.

Food's been funny--

Yellow frozen beans look remarkably like French fries BUT THEY AREN'T.

Tofu is not mozzarella.

And my favorite, citric acid is not salt.

That one was a doozy! :-)

I've read up on all the places. Frankly, I am sick of the Israeli/Palestinian stuff--I don't want any.more.history.

Food's been funny--

Yellow frozen beans look remarkably like French fries BUT THEY AREN'T.

Tofu is not mozzarella.

And my favorite, citric acid is not salt.

That one was a doozy! :-)

It sounds like you're having plenty of adventures just cooking dinner. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate your help.

As to why we are reading so much--there is only so much sightseeing one can do.Sometimes it's because of the heat, sometimes because we don't want to just see our holy places, we want to have time to really be there.

So far, in three weeks, we have been to

Old City Jerusalem--Church of the Holy Sepulchre, St. George's cathedral, a light show taking us thru all the quarters, St. Stephen's gate, Mamilla, Damascas gate and old gate, shops throughout.

Bethlehem--Church of the Nativity, Olive wood row, Herodius

Galilee--Capernaum to Peter's house, Tabga, Mt. Of the Beatitudes, Magdala for a dig, Nazareth, Sepphoris, Tiberias, Mt. Carmel, and Korazim

Golan Heights--Gamla

Jordan River near Jerico

Caesarea Maritima

And I think a couple more, but that's all I can remember at the moment. We read in the afternoons and when we have downtime.:-)

Anything by Terry Pratchett. Some folks may not like the witches and magic in his books, so you might want to read book descriptions before purchasing.

Exodus by Leon Uris? I found it mind numbingly tedious, but historically important.

My name is Asher Lev, by Chaim Potok

The Pianist, by Władysław Szpilman

Amadeus, by Peter Shaffer

I know this is sacrilege to some, but I disliked the Mitford series. I read the first two and gave the rest to Goodwill.

Kon-tiki might work. I don't know if they have it here.

Hated Tuesdays... I rarely like books about non-Christian spirituality, although I can appreciate them. Heck, I rarely like Christian fiction.

I know, so many love it.

Thanks for the list.

The Mitford series isn't one that you jump right into and love, Chris. I found it to be one that had to build up, but became very enjoyable reading. There was a point about three books down the list that I just really loved the characters. In fact, I think that is Karon's greatest strength as a writer. Then by the time I read the newest books about Father Tim, I felt that she'd built his character and story superbly throughout the whole two series of stories.

Each to their own, but if you have the chance to try them again you just may have a different opinion.

Blessings,

Lucinda

P.S. Have you read any of the fiction written by Brock & Bodie Theone? We have just about all of them and love their accuracy to history woven into stories. Wonderful books too!

How about The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman? It was really good. Scary in a very different way than one might expect. Sad, but in a poignant not depressing way.

If your want something funny try Good Omens-might be the perfect thing for your current situation. ;)

I have two favorite adult fiction series. They are written by Christian authors but are not preachy. Dee Henderson's O'Malley Series . The series is about 6 siblings....well they are all orphans that as adults adopted ach other and stick up for each other whenever needed. Each book focuses on a different person and their profession. I love the research Dee puts into the books. You get a glimps into different professions with their unique challenges. Her ability to create and developer characters has kept me reading all her books. The stories are not too simple and yet they are not so complex that you need quiet to focus while reading.

The second series is by Robin Jones Gunn. Her Sister Chicks series is a series in the seance they follow similar format but they do not use the same characters so you can jump in anywhere. The premis of the series is friendship of women going on vacation. They pair of women go on vacation all over the world: Paris, London, Amsterdam, Mexico and Hawaii to name a few. Robin's research is incredible. As I read the story set in Paris I knew the cafe she was mentioning because I had been ther and she described it perfectly. The book covers everyday things that happen to us as women....you know like dying our hair black but it comes out green! These books keep me laughing. For the most part they are fun and light hearted but the characters may be dealing with a tough situation that has me crying with them.However, crying does not last long and ends in laughter. I discovered these in my 30's and have shared them with my mom as well as my grandmother. They are fun summer reads!

Jeffrey Archer's First Among Equals (older one of his about British Parliament)

I just read Barabara Bush's Memoires. The first one was very good, some humorous stories.

84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

Pioneer Woman's book (not recipes but how she met and married her husband)

The Blind Side (about Michael Oher)

Homefront by Kristin Hannah

MAIMOM, would the O'Malley series be appropriate for a 16yo? Sounds like a career exploration class within an interesting plot! Thanks for mentioning these books.

And I don't suppose those Sister Chicks are *really* summoning spirits... (Lol! Gotta love autocorrect!)

I have two favorite adult fiction series. They are written by Christian authors but are not preachy. Dee Henderson's O'Malley Series . The series is about 6 siblings....well they are all orphans that as adults adopted ach other and stick up for each other whenever needed. Each book focuses on a different person and their profession. I love the research Dee puts into the books. You get a glimps into different professions with their unique challenges. Her ability to create and developer characters has kept me reading all her books. The stories are not too simple and yet they are not so complex that you need quiet to focus while reading.

The second series is by Robin Jones Gunn. Her Sister Chicks series is a series in the seance they follow similar format but they do not use the same characters so you can jump in anywhere. The premis of the series is friendship of women going on vacation. They pair of women go on vacation all over the world: Paris, London, Amsterdam, Mexico and Hawaii to name a few. Robin's research is incredible. As I read the story set in Paris I knew the cafe she was mentioning because I had been ther and she described it perfectly. The book covers everyday things that happen to us as women....you know like dying our hair black but it comes out green! These books keep me laughing. For the most part they are fun and light hearted but the characters may be dealing with a tough situation that has me crying with them.However, crying does not last long and ends in laughter. I discovered these in my 30's and have shared them with my mom as well as my grandmother. They are fun summer reads!

Chris, you have seen a lot of places! No wonder you want some veg reading time. I know you said you don't want murder mysteries, but you might like Flavia de Luce. First in the series is Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. Think flippant young Agatha Christie.

re: Sisterchicks. Yeah, no seances. ;) Anyway, about the series, it doesn't matter where you start. The first one you read will be light and fun. The second will be ok. By the time you get to the third you might be done. I found the series too formulaic; it got old quickly.