Menu

Can I Ask How Much Your 10y/o Weighs?

Hockey Mom

DS10 has always been between 40-50 percentile for his weight. He has been more active than normal, in that he's skating 6 nights a week, and most of those nights are pretty rigorous. When he's not doing school, he's outside running around and shooting pucks. He went from 72lbs. to 61.5lbs over the past 8 weeks. I took him to the doctor and had a few tests run to make sure there wasn't a health issue (my aunt had Type 1 diabetes, and my dad has Type 2 and is rail-thin as well). We got a clean bill of health.

But I'm curious...how much does your 10 y/o weigh?

The doctor didn't seem all that concerned, but I'm feeling a bit panicky about it. Does 61lbs for a 10 y/o sound about right? Should I take him to a nutritionist or get a second opinion?

62 pounds for a 10 year old doesn't sound worrisome. A 10 pound weight loss in a healthy weight child however sounds very worrisome. But it sounds like your doctor gave him a clean bill of health. That's good. I'd consider getting a second opinion just to be safe.

My son will be 10 next month and he weighs 75 pounds per his doctors visit last week. He is tall and skinny.

My healthy 5 year old weighs 52 lbs, so 62 seems very low for 10. My tall, skinny 11 year old weighed 80ish last year. Have his eating habits changed?

What all tests did they run? Cancer is definitely something to really check for with a sudden weight loss like that. I mean, your kid lost over 13% of his weight in two months. Has he had night sweats? At the 50th percentile, he surely didn't have much fat to lose, so he is probably breaking down muscle. I'd get a second opinion.

How tall is he? Height definitely makes a difference. My 11 year old got very sick and dropped down to 72 (a loss of 20 pounds for him) and he was very unhealthy at that weight, but he was close to 5 feet. He is much better now but even with added height, he only weighs 84 but he seems healthy enough at 84 so I am not worried. I think you need to look at overall health and not just weight.

My two cents -- If he has the energy to skate six nights a week and go out and play a lot and keep up with his school work, then he's probably perfectly healthy. Anything serious and you'd be noticing a loss of energy and stamina, and that certainly doesn't seem to be the case. So . . . ITA with Charleigh. Look at his overall health instead of focusing just on weight.

My son at 12 weighs about 72 and is about 4'9" maybe 4'10". He's always been perfectly healthy and active. He weighed about 48 in kindergarten. Sme kids just run slim. If he were otherwise looking and acting healthy, and you just got a clean bill of health, I'd be ok with it depending on height. Especially with a drastic change in activity level. My kid weighed about that at that age.

DD10 weights 67 pounds, and I don't know how tall she is. The top of her head is just below my chin, and I'm 5'4", if that helps.

Like others, I'd still be concerned about that weight loss, not the actual weight. It seems dramatic to me since he was not overweight to begin with and I would seek a second opinion.

BTW, my son plays on a baseball team with other kids around his age, and on his team are twin brothers who are 11. They are short and very thin. It would not surprise me if my 7 year old (tall for her age and average weight) outweighed them. They are just little guys.

DS10 has always been between 40-50 percentile for his weight. He has been more active than normal, in that he's skating 6 nights a week, and most of those nights are pretty rigorous. When he's not doing school, he's outside running around and shooting pucks. He went from 72lbs. to 61.5lbs over the past 8 weeks. I took him to the doctor and had a few tests run to make sure there wasn't a health issue (my aunt had Type 1 diabetes, and my dad has Type 2 and is rail-thin as well). We got a clean bill of health.

But I'm curious...how much does your 10 y/o weigh?

The doctor didn't seem all that concerned, but I'm feeling a bit panicky about it. Does 61lbs for a 10 y/o sound about right? Should I take him to a nutritionist or get a second opinion?

I'm not sure that comparing his weight to a random sample of other ten year olds will be helpful. I would be concerned that he has lost ten pounds over two months. (Is there any possibility that either measurement is in error?) In general kids shouldn't lose weight during their growing years. I would also be concerned if I felt his exercise habits were compulsive. From what you've shared that isn't clear if the exercise is compulsive or if he is just enjoying hockey. What would happen if you offered another more sedentary activity (i.e. some craft project, play a family board game) instead of going outside to run around? Would he be ok with that? Would this induce a melt down of near epic proportions because "he has to shoot pucks"?

I'm not discouraging exercise or sports. I have a very active soccer player daughter whom I love dearly. She is diligent about doing her required conditioning/cross training for soccer and she still just really loves the game so it isn't unusual to see her out there playing pickup with her cousins. At the same time she is also very good about listening to her body and she can dial back when needed. This is just as important for her longevity in the sport.

My almost 10 year old is 4'4" and not healthy, but getting better. He is 62lbs, 3 lbs of which he just gained and we were very grateful. I concur with the opinion that if he can skate that much, do school and is eating, I wouldn't worry too much. I think you did the right thing to have him checked out though.

My ds is 9 is 4'10" and weighs 89lbs. On paper that is over weight but his leg muscles are huge and as big as some of the trainers at the gym I go to. He speed skates and honestly comparing videos and time of him skating really clued me in that something major was going on health wise with him. He still skates and runs around constantly and even does push ups while working on math but is very sick with an autoimmune disease that could kill him. He appears normal until you sit down and really look at how he compensates and see how he is declining. Very very few people actually see the decline irl and it is hard to get support as a parent when people assume the he is fine because he runs around and plays. Honestly, if we met at

an ice rink you would have no clue.

My two cents -- If he has the energy to skate six nights a week and go out and play a lot and keep up with his school work, then he's probably perfectly healthy. Anything serious and you'd be noticing a loss of energy and stamina, and that certainly doesn't seem to be the case. So . . . ITA with Charleigh. Look at his overall health instead of focusing just on weight.

I was also thinking this...just keep an eye on him. DS lost a few pounds at first and he still seemed fine. At some point though, it was obvious my child was horribly sick. He got weaker and weaker and continued to lose weight. I think that what you have right now is just a red flag you should note but nothing to panic about yet. Maybe you could try to increase his calories some with nut butter smoothies, etc. and see how he responds.

The weight loss is of concern. What was the doctor's explanation?

How is he eating? Does he have an appetite? Does he eat a lot...think of his portion sizes? Does he eat often? Is he a picky eater? Does he have allergies? Does he have any physical symptoms?

My 12 yr old went from 60 lbs to 52 lbs. He was still active and seemed fine but I was not happy with the weight loss. He also looked gaunt. I took him to a ped GI and we got things sorted out. He had to eat a calorie supplement for a bit along with daily protein shakes.

The best way to gain weight is to increase carbs. Most people think of fats to gain weight, but it's the carbs that pack it on. My ds now weighs 70lbs.

The best way to gain weight is to increase carbs. Most people think of fats to gain weight, but it's the carbs that pack it on. My ds now weighs 70lbs.

Just agreeing here. DS can't eat grains, sugar, or dairy so his diet is limited. I tried to sneak carbs into everything. Bananas are high in carbs so I put them in smoothies with lots of nut butter. Also, honey is high in carbs :) I feed DS fruit with almost every meal to make sure he gets enough carbs. It is not an easy task with his diet limitations.

Just agreeing here. DS can't eat grains, sugar, or dairy so his diet is limited. I tried to sneak carbs into everything. Bananas are high in carbs so I put them in smoothies with lots of nut butter. Also, honey is high in carbs :) I feed DS fruit with almost every meal to make sure he gets enough carbs. It is not an easy task with his diet limitations.

I know your ds has Crohn's. Can he eat seeds? I know buckwheat and quinoa are technically seeds even though people think they are grains. Does his body treat them as grain? How about flax and chia seeds? If he could eat buckwheat and quinoa those would be great carbs for him.

62 pounds for a 10 year old doesn't sound worrisome. A 10 pound weight loss in a healthy weight child however sounds very worrisome. But it sounds like your doctor gave him a clean bill of health. That's good. I'd consider getting a second opinion just to be safe.

I agree. My oldest weighed about that at age 10. He's almost 20 now and only hovers around 125. However, the 10 lb drop in such a short period of time would concern me. If he seems otherwise healthy I'd probably boost his protein and good oils and take a wait and see approach. If weight loss continues or other symptoms develop I'd have him checked by someone else.

When did he start skating 6 days a week? Does it correlate with the loss of weight? If not, I would be getting a second and third opinion. If you were talking a pound or two, you could chalk it up to water weight or something, but 10 lbs is nothing to write off in a kid.

To answer some of the questions:

1. The weight loss correlates directly with the increase in exercise.

2. He grazes, more than he eats. This is typical for him since he was a baby. He will pore a bowl of cereal, take 5 bites (as soon as the cereal gets soggy) and he's done. He eats a variety of foods, but it's a struggle to get him to eat meat. Again, this is not unusual behavior for him. He simply doesn't like meat very much, and if I can get him to eat 2-3 pieces, I'm fine with that. We do supplement the protein in his diet with smoothies (bananas, peanut butter, raw honey, yogurt, protein powder, strawberries, blackberries, and coconut water), LOTS of nuts, and eggs.

3. The doctor didn't seem concerned because his blood work came back all within normal range. He also suggested that our scale at home may have been off when we weighed in before the season, but I don't believe that's the case because we weighed in after the appointment and our numbers lined up with the doctor's.

I called again today to set up a follow-up appointment. We're scheduled to weigh in again in 3 weeks. Something just doesn't sit right with me, with that kind of weight loss. He's always been thin, and you really can't tell that he's lost 10lbs, but with his activity level up so much, I want to make sure we're compensating for the activity. He can not afford to lose much more weight.

Thanks for sharing with me. I appreciate it! :)

ETA: He's 4'8

I think you're doing the right thing. If my DS lost that much weight, I would be concerned. My DS10 is in the lower 60s and I'm constantly insisting he eat more fat and protein. He would live on bread and water if I let him.

If you're interested in using it our ped GI had my ds taking Duocal. You get it from the pharmacy. It's a calorie supplement. You can call the pharmacy and ask if need a script, and then get one from your doctor if you do.

She had him taking the supplement while waiting for all the test results to come back. She said she wanted to see if his body knew what to do with the calories if he consumed enough. There are no negative side effects as it's food based and not a medicine. It's a powder and really easy to add it to smoothies, yogurt, and even drinks.

I'd be concerned about the weight loss, too. My 10 y/o DD just lost 10 pounds in the past month but she had brain surgery and is having a tough recovery. Knowing why is the most important thing. Your son is getting a ton of exercise and that could explain it but for a child who was already quite thin, it seems like a huge amount of weight loss.

Hopefully there is nothing to be concerned about but I think you are wise to be looking into things.

He's always been thin, and you really can't tell that he's lost 10lbs,

Really? I'm not trying to sound rude, but my very skinny kid once lost a lot of weight quickly and looked like a skeleton, like a starving child, especially in the face. It scared the hell out of me, and I did not have access to a scale at the time. I recognized the weight loss purely by looks. I also had a 105 lb friend lose 10 lbs in an illness and the difference was dramatic. So I wonder if the scale was off. Sudden weight loss would worry me.

To answer some of the questions:

1. The weight loss correlates directly with the increase in exercise.

2. He grazes, more than he eats. This is typical for him since he was a baby. He will pore a bowl of cereal, take 5 bites (as soon as the cereal gets soggy) and he's done. He eats a variety of foods, but it's a struggle to get him to eat meat. Again, this is not unusual behavior for him. He simply doesn't like meat very much, and if I can get him to eat 2-3 pieces, I'm fine with that. We do supplement the protein in his diet with smoothies (bananas, peanut butter, raw honey, yogurt, protein powder, strawberries, blackberries, and coconut water), LOTS of nuts, and eggs.

3. The doctor didn't seem concerned because his blood work came back all within normal range. He also suggested that our scale at home may have been off when we weighed in before the season, but I don't believe that's the case because we weighed in after the appointment and our numbers lined up with the doctor's.

I called again today to set up a follow-up appointment. We're scheduled to weigh in again in 3 weeks. Something just doesn't sit right with me, with that kind of weight loss. He's always been thin, and you really can't tell that he's lost 10lbs, but with his activity level up so much, I want to make sure we're compensating for the activity. He can not afford to lose much more weight.

Thanks for sharing with me. I appreciate it! :)

ETA: He's 4'8

With everything you said above I wouldn't panic, just keep an eye on it and try to increase his intake, especially the protein. I have 10yo twins who are off the charts in height and weight. One of them, now 5'2" and 106# routinely drops 5-10 pounds when growing and starting swim season simply because she is so busy she doesn't eat unless badgered about it.

I have a 10 y.o. who lost 3 pounds recently according to a random visit to the allergist. He did just start playing a sport. I hope that's it, though he's always been a picky eater and a challenge to feed, if you know what I mean. I'm concerned it might also be his asthma medication. I think he's 70 pounds. His twin is about 60 pounds, if that.

A 10-lb weight loss over a short period of time would concern me, though I'd want to re-check in a couple weeks (feeding him lots and keeping him well-hydrated in the meantime)

My ds9 (turns 10 at end of aug) weighs 94.5 lbs, he is completely solid. Built like a brick sh*t house would be an apt description. My dd13 (14 at end of july) weighs 67 lbs. She is only about 4" taller than him. So there really is alot of variability