Menu

Starbucks dirty diaper incident

Moxie

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta do what you gotta do. I have changed a poopy diaper on a seat in a fast food establishment that did not have a changing table. There was not room on the counter in the bathroom, I had a sedan where I could not get all the way in the car with the baby and it was November in Michigan. I was not changing him in the car with the door open (which I've done many times in nice weather) and there was no way in hell I was laying my baby on the floor in the bathroom, changing pad or not. Seriously? I won't even set my purse or diaper bag on the floor in a public bathroom. I have peed while hanging my purse around my neck when there is no hook and changed diapers at changing stations with the diaper bag hanging around my neck. I was quick and discreet and I don't think anyone even noticed. But I was pretty mad that they didn't have a changing station in the bathroom and I would have said to workers that if they didn't want me changing him there, they should have a changing station. I would not have thrown a drink on the floor.

I find it interesting that so many people say that they would set the baby on the floor in the bathroom. In all my years of using public bathrooms, I have never, ever, EVER seen a woman with a baby on the floor. But I have seen women changing babies in seats.

Meh. This is like squeamish people to me. I get it I suppose. It's just not something I have much patience for.

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not what anyone would call squeamish. I just think that it's a rude, unsanitary, and incredibly selfish thing to do. Somehow I don't think you'd have the same "meh" response if it were an adult changing their own diaper in the middle of the restaurant, even if they did so "discreetly". It's doesn't matter that it's a baby because it's still human waste.

It seems to me that because you've had kids in diapers for 18 years it is something that is acceptable to you because you've done it and no one has called you out on it, so somehow that makes it ok. It really, really isn't. At all.

IMHO it is never OK to change your baby in a dining area. It's nasty. People can smell it. Go to to the car, or outside, or carry a trash bag in your diaper bag to create a sterile island in a public restroom (the staff will GIVE you one, but AT THE TABLE? You don't DO that when other people are eating. I'm all for nursing everywhere, and never in the restroom, but THIS is different and that opulent sounds like a piece of work.

You gotta do what you gotta do. I have changed a poopy diaper on a seat in a fast food establishment that did not have a changing table. There was not room on the counter in the bathroom, I had a sedan where I could not get all the way in the car with the baby and it was November in Michigan. I was not changing him in the car with the door open (which I've done many times in nice weather) and there was no way in hell I was laying my baby on the floor in the bathroom, changing pad or not. Seriously? I won't even set my purse or diaper bag on the floor in a public bathroom. I have peed while hanging my purse around my neck when there is no hook and changed diapers at changing stations with the diaper bag hanging around my neck. I was quick and discreet and I don't think anyone even noticed. But I was pretty mad that they didn't have a changing station in the bathroom and I would have said to workers that if they didn't want me changing him there, they should have a changing station. I would not have thrown a drink on the floor.

I find it interesting that so many people say that they would set the baby on the floor in the bathroom. In all my years of using public bathrooms, I have never, ever, EVER seen a woman with a baby on the floor. But I have seen women changing babies in seats.

I find it interesting that you won't change your baby on the floor of the bathroom, but you expect other people to sit and eat on the bench where you just changed a diaper.

You won't put your purse on the bathroom floor, but you expect me to put my purse on the seat where you just changed a diaper?

And this is the attitude I get from my peers, their child is more important than the other people in the restaurant.

For the record, I was guilty of doing this in my younger days with my first child. Then I grew up and realized how inconsiderate it is.

[/size]

I couldn't disagree more. I'm not what anyone would call squeamish. I just think that it's a rude, unsanitary, and incredibly selfish thing to do. Somehow I don't think you'd have the same "meh" response if it were an adult changing their own diaper in the middle of the restaurant, even if they did so "discreetly". It's doesn't matter that it's a baby because it's still human waste.

It seems to me that because you've had kids in diapers for 18 years it is something that is acceptable to you because you've done it and no one has called you out on it, so somehow that makes it ok. It really, really isn't. At all.

This is exactly what I was coming back in to this thread to say! Yes, what if someone decided it was appropriate to change an adult diaper in a restaurant dining area?

I have also changed a baby on the seat of a car, in Michigan, in January, with the car door open. They didn't suffer from exposure.

I find it interesting that you won't change your baby on the floor of the bathroom, but you expect other people to sit and eat on the bench where you just changed a diaper.

You won't put your purse on the bathroom floor, but you expect me to put my purse on the seat where you just changed a diaper?

And this is the attitude I get from my peers, their child is more important than the other people in the restaurant.

For the record, I was guilty of doing this in my younger days with my first child. Then I grew up and realized how inconsiderate it is.

I did use a changing pad. If there had been another option, I would have taken it. And if you think potty training toddlers haven't peed while sitting in those seats without diapers on....well, they have.

I would have gone to the car. I can't stand when restaurants don't have changing tables though and there's no way I'd use the floor, changing pad or not.

If that wasn't an option I'd either find somewhere else to go- outside or a store, etc. And I'd definitely take up my concerns regarding their lack of a changing table to the restaurant.

I guess if they hadn't had a bathroom on the premises, it would have been appropriate for the adults to take a crap in the dining area too. Where do people get off? The solution to feeling unaccommodated is to leave, spend your money elsewhere, tell all your friends, write a letter to the owner or even the editor. Not soil the dining area of a restaurant.

Hmmm. If an adult had a dirty diaper....

Would I rather their caregiver:

Leave them sitting in it until they got home (which is what I suspect they actually do tho many sadly simply become recluses bc they feel deep shame and humiliation and fear going out in public :( )

Change it as cleanly and discreetly as possible in a booth (pretty sure they couldn't do that in a booth but maybe that's bc I'm projecting the size of my butt and my own lack of contortionist abilities.)

The person to be layed on a public bathroom floor tone changed (bc I'm sure they didn't pick up plenty of nasty on their head, back and arms to take back to the table that way. Oh wait... Um. Yeah. Gross. That's about as appealing to my sense of hygiene as food handlers who don't wash their hands.)

The person to be balanced on my lap for the change (considering I can't do that with a 6 month old I don't see it happening)

Set them on the entry grass to change it. (Maybe they can enjoy waving to people as they enter the restaurant while changing the diaper. )

Ideally there would be a proper place for them to change the diaper. And if they are mentally capable adults, every restroom IS a proper place that is equipped to meet their need without having to lay on a disgusting germ infested bathroom floor or leave the facility entirely.)

Sadly many restaurants are not properly equipped to handle a common basic need of babies and thus some parents use the next simplest alternative as cleanly and discreetly as they can.

There is no way in a million years I would have changed my daughter anyplace that wasn't at least somewhat private and I definitely would never have changed it anywhere anyone would be eating. That is just plain unsanitary and gross.

And no I wouldn't be as meh about it for an adult.

I'd feel horrible for them and ask if they need help.

I hate to tell you all the obvious but grown adults DO pee and poop and have their periods and more in dining areas EVERY day. Usually by accident. Occasionally because they had a lapse in planning. Occasionally they are just messed in the head. It's not unusual. When handled with dignity and discretely, it is usually quickly cleaned up and the most damage is to the emotional stability of the adult who did it. Often they are do ashamed and scared of humiliation that they just leave without saying anything. (Yeah. That's a nasty surprise for a busboy or the next customer.)

I did use a changing pad. If there had been another option, I would have taken it. And if you think potty training toddlers haven't peed while sitting in those seats without diapers on....well, they have.

My potty training toddlers have done this, but it is not because I intentionally removed their diaper on the seat. One is beyond anyone's control, the other is a consious choice people make, that is what makes the second situation inconsiderate to the other people in the restaurant as opposed to an accident. You should avoid changing your infant at the table for the simple reason than some of the other patrons may be uncomfortable with it. They have a right to eat at a restaurant without witnessing a diaper change.

I haven't read any replies. Though the parents seem to be implying that the police were called because they changed a diaper, the real issue was that the dad essentially threw a temper tantrum, poured his coffee on the floor, and was exchanging words with the employee who (rudely, from the sound of it) told them to be sure and clean up after themselves. It sounds like both sides overreacted and could have handled the situation better. I think it's disgusting to change a baby in an eating area, and if they couldn't go to their vehicle there were surely other nearby businesses that had a changing table.

I also wish Starbucks had not apologized. Changing tables are a nice convenience, but it isn't up to customers to decide ABC establishment needs to have one. Starbucks isn't a kiddy restaurant. Maybe they don't aspire to being the most popular hangout for parents of pant-poopers. That's a business decision on their part IMO.

Having worked as a Starbucks store manager for a looong time, as well as my husband, may I just say, Starbucks will ALWAYS apologize. I got cussed out by a customer for requesting she pay for her drink before leaving the store...Starbucks apologized. To her.

People lay their babies on the floor in a restroom to change them? Even on a pad, that is grossing me out. A lot. :o

I could see it for an essentially immobile infant (on one or more pads, preferably disposable). But an older baby does not need to be lying down to be changed. .... I am not sure why anyone thinks a changing table is exactly clean. It seems that would be more nasty than many bathroom floors. Especially since many people don't do anything to prevent their kid's waste from remaining on the table for the next child to lie in. Fact is, diaper changing in public places is gonna be gross one way or the other, if you let yourself think about it too much.

People lay their babies on the floor in a restroom to change them? Even on a pad, that is grossing me out. A lot. :o

There are a lot of things in life, and specifically in parenting that are plain nasty. (Says the woman who once rode 20 minutes with her toddler's puke down her shirt because of heavy traffic on a freeway. *looks for the icked out smiley*)

Sometimes you gotta do what you've gotta do.

No. I do not believe that's a right. Not a right given by god. Not a right given by the constitution. Not a right at all in any sense of understanding for what constitutes a right.

I concede the word "right" may have been a tad too strong. It is still inconsiderate to change your child on or near a restaurant seat or table, if for no other reason than other patrons don't like it. It is rude.

I don't like bathroom floors, but that doesn't make it okay for me to change my baby on a public seat. Other people don't like watching diapers changed when they are eating, why should my preference not to change my baby on a bathroom floor trump their preference not to witness a diaper change while eating? This is what being considerate is, considering other people ahead of yourself.

And if a restaurant's bathroom is so disgusting that I don't feel comfortable using a diaper pad next to the sink to change a diaper, I probably wouldn't eat there either. How clean their bathroom is is a good indication as to the condition of the kitchen...

You think changing tables are more sanitary? The floors get washed daily.....

[/size]

I've heard the "rude, unsanitary, and incredibly selfish" argument about breastfeeding in public, too. *Shrug*

I don't like to breastfeed in public but I do if there's no place. I don't like to change a diaper in the open but I do if there's no place. I've probably been in that situation 2-3 times, ever, and I don't think it's that terrible.

By the way, there is poop and pee all over restaurants, only employees are "required" to wash their hands after using the toilet. The exposure a person might get from a wet diaper being changing on a pad is nothing compared to, say, touching any doorknob at a place like Starbucks. Or change from the cash register.

I think it's rude to change your baby in a restaurant.

There is no requirement that the restaurant provide changing tables in the bathroom area. NONE.

You are the parent. YOU go out prepared to take care of your child. I had a pad with my diapers. If I didn't I'd take off my jacket and lay the child on that. If worse came to worse in my preparation I would pull out a pile of paper towels from the dispenser and put the baby on that. IN THE BATHROOM. Away from food. Not subjecting other patrons.

No I don't believe the seats in restaurants are always clean. However, it is not my right to add to the mix of germs because I was not prepared when I left the house. It is not my right to interfer with the other patrons' enjoyment of their food and drink by adding new smells (poop or disinfecting baby wipe smell) to the atmosphere.

I want to know how many parents who change their children in the middle of the restaurant actually get up, go to the bathroom and wash their hands every single time.

Thinking about this some more. I honestly believe we live in an anti-infant, anti-baby and anti-child society. I think it is really just luck that those of you who would have or did change a baby on the floor of a public restroom didn't get the stink eye. Chances are you did behind your back. And probably someone said something like, "Can you believe that parent changing that poor kid on the FLOOR of a public restroom. How DISGUSTING."

Parents can't win no matter what. Children should be out do sight. No changing diapers in the restroom, in the shopping cart, on one's lap in the restaurant or on the subway or at the park. Along the same lines, children shouldn't be loud, shouldn't cry, shouldn't do or be anything other than be little adults. We collectively don't have the patience.

Starbucks caters to the up and coming professional about town. Not the mom's group meeting for coffee. Or the family out for an afternoon. (After all children should be in school.). So no they don't have changing tables or convenient places to change a baby. What they don't realize is they have grown beyond the up and coming professional. It is also usually staffed by young people who probably don't have children and know their needs.

I take issue with Starbucks for not realizing this and seeing about all their customers needs. After all caffeine ends up in breast milk. Starbucks ought to be thinking about their future customer base.

FTR: I don't think I ever changed dd at a table. But it wouldn't bother me in the least to see a parent do so. Especially because I know that sitting anywhere in public is sitting amid a huge germ fest which includes pee, poop, blood, saliva, and other bodily fluids.

One, if the diaper is changed properly, it shouldn't be unhygienic.

Two, if the staff properly buses the tables, the table and booth should be sanitary regardless of who did what before you.

Did you know raw chicken is a health hazard? Did you know it's in almost every restaurant? Some restaurants even handle it right there at the table! And it's okay if one cleans their hands before and after use and cleans the station.

derailing here, but Martha, I find it amusing that I often totally agree with you, and other times couldn't disagree more...there is never a middle ground it seems. I always love reading your posts though :)

My potty training toddlers have done this, but it is not because I intentionally removed their diaper on the seat. One is beyond anyone's control, the other is a consious choice people make, that is what makes the second situation inconsiderate to the other people in the restaurant as opposed to an accident. You should avoid changing your infant at the table for the simple reason than some of the other patrons may be uncomfortable with it. They have a right to eat at a restaurant without witnessing a diaper change.

This is a slight change in subject, but I don't think that it is unforseeable that a potty training toddler will have an accident. If you're (the general you- I actually have some IRL people I am thinking of) not 99% sure your kid isn't going to have an accident, they should be in pull ups or diapers in public. Pee and poop outside of a diaper is a lot more disgusting to me than a dirty diaper.

I'm not defending the people in the article. I don't know what options they had open to them. When it happened to me, I did not feel like I had a choice. It was upsetting enough to me that I remember it years later. There was no counter in the bathroom. It was too cold outside. I felt it was unreasonable to bundle my 2 month old up, take him to the car, find another place, go inside, unbundle him, change him, bundle him up again. We had pulled off the highway to a fast food place on a loooooong road trip- there weren't any other places at that exit (with the exception of a gas station, which may or may not have had a changing table) It was my first child and he was 2 months old. Leaving him in a poopy diaper for an extended period of time was not an option I considered. It's not like I just WANTED to change him on the bench.

On the other hand, when my toddlers are potty training they are ALWAYS in pull ups or diapers I public because no one else should have to deal with that mess.

At that age, my kids could stand up to be changed. If not, there was always the seat of the vehicle. I can't say for certain that I haven't changed a dirty diaper in a restaurant booth when they were younger, though. Chair - nah, booth - meh whatever.

I never once laid a baby down on a bathroom floor without putting something under him. I kept large, wipe-able changing pads in the outside pocket of my diaper bag. My method was to lay down the pad, lay down the baby, change the baby, pick the baby up and put him in the sling/backpack/stroller, wash changing pad and put it back in the bag, wash hands, resume life. I also always had extra receiving blankets, clear up into the toddler years, that I could use between my baby and imperfect surfaces.

Breastfeeding is not related to this discussion in any way. For nursing mammals to be successful, they have to nurse when mama and baby think it's time to, not when and where society says they may. That's why my state, Indiana, has a law that a mother's right to breastfeed is legally protected anywhere that the mother herself has a right to be. Many of the women commenting on the unacceptability of diaper changing in dining areas, are the same women who have contributed in threads about the right to breastfeed. We did nurse in public, and we drove the nurse-ins, joined LLL, helped change the laws.

We can't lump in public BF and dirty diaper changing in dining areas, both under the umbrella of "society hates babies." One is hygienic enough, necessary, and reasonable, and the other isn't.

Why? For the baby's sake, or because of what might end up on the floor? I don't get it.

In my experience, the changing table is much nastier than that floor.

Then again, I'm not very easily grossed out after having a little boy. When my son was in diapers he actually licked the floor of Starbucks (not in the restroom) and I just laughed about it and posted about it on Facebook. :tongue_smilie:

Guest inoubliable

Gross.

And the coffe-dumping asshole is just that, an asshole.

Hope that kid they're raising doesn't turn out to be such an entitled jerk.

I think it's disgusting.

There were so many other potential options for the parents here. Change the toddler in the restroom, standing up (very doable for a 1-year old). Change the toddler on the restroom floor, using a copious amount of paper towels if needed (that wouldn't be my choice, but it's an option). Go to another establishment in the area (grocery store, etc.) and change there. If they drove, go to the car and change the diaper there. If all else fails, go home to take care of it.

As for the dad's reaction, I agree with the previous poster who said he needed his diaper changed too. What a fussy little boy. :001_rolleyes:

And the coffe-dumping asshole is just that, an asshole.

I think you are giving him too much credit.

Even the biggest jack-holes I know wouldn't have dumped the coffee.

We need a more serious category for his classification.

Think, think, think.........

Other than the tantrum and coffee on the floor, I just cannot get worked up over this. It is a shopping cart/hoes in the house issue for me. Sometimes parents do what they have to do. We do not know the ins and outs of everyone's trials and situations. As long as someone cleans up after themselves, I don't really care. I have seen way worse things in public places.

And no I wouldn't be as meh about it for an adult.

I'd feel horrible for them and ask if they need help.

I hate to tell you all the obvious but grown adults DO pee and poop and have their periods and more in dining areas EVERY day. Usually by accident. Occasionally because they had a lapse in planning. Occasionally they are just messed in the head. It's not unusual. When handled with dignity and discretely, it is usually quickly cleaned up and the most damage is to the emotional stability of the adult who did it. Often they are do ashamed and scared of humiliation that they just leave without saying anything. (Yeah. That's a nasty surprise for a busboy or the next customer.)

Right. And children sometimes have accidents. It's not at all the same as doing it intentionally. The dining room of a restaurant is not a free-for-all to do whatever you please.

People who are against nursing at restaurant tables frequently use the argument that we don't poop at the table. Breastfeeding mothers correctly complain that poop and breastmilk are in NO way similar. I find it kind of amusing that now I'm hearing the reverse- that since breastfeeding is ok at the table, uncovered poop is too! I really don't think that is an association anyone who supports nursing wants to promote. Like all food sources, what goes into the mouth is ok at the table, and what comes out the behind is not ok at the table. It's kind of simple to me.

I sympathize with people who have infants in diapers and no suitable place to change them. I really do. I've been there. But parenting is hard! Babies are inconvenient. The difficulties that come with having a baby don't eliminate normal social rules of behavior. It's not about being anti-child it's about being real. Sometimes having a baby is a drag. Sometimes you have to leave places when you wanted to stay. Sometimes you get cold changing them with the car door open.

There's a big difference between accidents and intentional behavior. There's also a big difference between a little leftover fecal material on the seat from who knows where and a fresh, steaming, 1yr old, solid food eating baby's open diaper. I doubt that the baby's poop would get on the booth or anywhere else with an experienced parent or caregiver changing the diaper, but it is just disgusting. Even if people weren't so rude as to say anything or give you an obvious stink eye, I am sure they were grossed out and uncomfortable.

This is a slight change in subject, but I don't think that it is unforseeable that a potty training toddler will have an accident. If you're (the general you- I actually have some IRL people I am thinking of) not 99% sure your kid isn't going to have an accident, they should be in pull ups or diapers in public. Pee and poop outside of a diaper is a lot more disgusting to me than a dirty diaper.

I'm not defending the people in the article. I don't know what options they had open to them. When it happened to me, I did not feel like I had a choice. It was upsetting enough to me that I remember it years later. There was no counter in the bathroom. It was too cold outside. I felt it was unreasonable to bundle my 2 month old up, take him to the car, find another place, go inside, unbundle him, change him, bundle him up again. We had pulled off the highway to a fast food place on a loooooong road trip- there weren't any other places at that exit (with the exception of a gas station, which may or may not have had a changing table) It was my first child and he was 2 months old. Leaving him in a poopy diaper for an extended period of time was not an option I considered. It's not like I just WANTED to change him on the bench.

On the other hand, when my toddlers are potty training they are ALWAYS in pull ups or diapers I public because no one else should have to deal with that mess.

Mine are in pull ups as well, but diapers and pull ups can and do leak occasionally, my kids are very heavy wetters.

I've heard the "rude, unsanitary, and incredibly selfish" argument about breastfeeding in public, too. *Shrug*

I don't like to breastfeed in public but I do if there's no place. I don't like to change a diaper in the open but I do if there's no place. I've probably been in that situation 2-3 times, ever, and I don't think it's that terrible.

By the way, there is poop and pee all over restaurants, only employees are "required" to wash their hands after using the toilet. The exposure a person might get from a wet diaper being changing on a pad is nothing compared to, say, touching any doorknob at a place like Starbucks. Or change from the cash register.

So now you're equating breastfeeding with diaper changing? Hardly the same thing.

And I'm sure if I thought long and hard I could think of a reason I'd "have" to change my child's diaper in an open area of a restaurant, but really I think the real reason it's done is that it's more convenient for the parent.

My cousins are men between the ages of 36 and early 40's, their wives are younger. I'm in my early 30's, right at the cutoff between Gen X and Millenial. I read Gen X goes from the early 60's to the early 80's, which is when I was born. I'm the oldest female cousin, so my sisters and cousins who are now having babies are millenials. I started very young, so I've been at this for a while, a lot of my college friends are just starting to have kids the last few years. You'd think no one else had ever had a baby in the history of the world, it is that intense, lol.

It's funny that part, I have teenagers. Most of the people I went to school with are just starting having kids in the last few years too, of the ones I stay in contact with, 1 has a 7 year old and then a 2 yr old and baby, the rest all have kids under the age of 3/4. Sometimes it feels like I started parenting in teh dark ages with how intense their parenting is. That said I don't think any of them would be okay with changing baby on a chair like that. I wouldn't either. A pp said they would and nursing too. Well I do not see nursing and potty busy as being the same which is why I nurse in the area we eat and I change diapers in the bathroom. If you are changing diapers where one eats then there shouldn't be offense when asked to feed baby where one poops because youa re treating the 2 areas as interchangeable.

As for the what if they don't have a car. Okay I ask you, who in america doesn't bring a stroller around if you don't have a car? Even if you are a baby wearer, you tend to bring one to carry your diaper bag and purchases. My stroller got used more like a shopping cart than a baby carrier for a very long time because I would wear my babies but then I didn't feel safe carrying everything else at the same time. SO wheel it into the bathroom and use it to change baby on. If child is up and walking and you have not mastered the standing up diaper change you are slow on the uptake imo. Take baby to car, use stroller, change standing up, sit on toilet and change baby across your lap(I did this often enough).

And then to dump the coffee on the floor in a temper tantrum (because really what else can you label that). Those parents should be ashamed of themselves, not happy to have gotten their 15 mintues of fame and apology (which was not deserved imo)

I mean really common sense and courtesy for others should not be so hard to comprehend.

I just can't get worked-up over changing a diaper on the booth seat of a restaurant. Really can't. I have a very difficult time imagining how it's any less sanitary than just about any surface in public.

Dumping the coffee was jerkish behavior.

Other than the tantrum and coffee on the floor, I just cannot get worked up over this. It is a shopping cart/hoes in the house issue for me. Sometimes parents do what they have to do. We do not know the ins and outs of everyone's trials and situations. As long as someone cleans up after themselves, I don't really care. I have seen way worse things in public places.

I have nothing against shopping carts, but I'd have to draw the line at hoes in the house...

(Sorry, couldn't resist) :leaving: