Menu

Starbucks dirty diaper incident

Moxie

I've never changed a diaper on a child while they stood and likely never will. It would be difficult for me and I would think messier too. I don't think I'll be doing Bill's method anytime soon either

I don't know why she or he didn't do it in a restroom. *shrug*

I sometimes do standing-up diaper changes, but for people whose kids are runners, it might be a VERY bad idea.

Many posters here have said that they would never ever change their child on a restroom floor. So, the restroom is out as an option. As is the restaurant. Apparently the acceptable options are

(1) go to your car if you have one

(2) use your stroller if you have one

(3) just go home, as several posters said, who apparently don't mind leaving their kids in soiled diapers OR who live within a couple of blocks of Starbucks?

(4) go "somewhere else".

I am not wild about the last one.

- I do not like to use restrooms of stores I am not giving business to, I think that's rude.

- I need a discreet place to do it (to protect the baby's privacy) and that's not always available outside, especially in an urban environment.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just trying to figure out if the guy was just a classic douche or if they were really OTT disrespectful (to an admittedly poor choice on his wife's part) and he was so furious that this was the 'safest' way to express his anger.

Classic douche. Regardless of how disrespectful the employees were, there's no excuse for throwing your drink on the floor. That's an adult temper tantrum at best, and could be construed as menacing or acting in a threatening manner. Also, what if he had thrown it down near someone and they got burned by the coffee splatter?

I don't know how anyone can consider it acceptable to change a diaper, especially a poopy one, in a public establishment where food is served/consumed. I do think the Starbucks employees could have handled it a bit better (perhaps not whispering and laughing), but they had every right to tell the parents they were out of line.

I used to really appreciate it—back when we had a toddler in diapers—when I was out alone with my son and I found Men's rooms with changing tables. It happen more often than I expected, and seemed very "enlightened," but was very far from universal.

Bill

Dh felt the same way. He was always pleasantly surprised to find a changing table in the men's room. Ds is 15-1/2, and it was really uncommon to find them when he was a baby.

You could make a youtube instructional video using a doll to help others.

Dss actually "borrowed" ds for a community college speech class when ds was about 10 months old. He had to give a demonstration speech, and he decided to demonstrate how to change a diaper. :lol:

See, this is the point. Most parents have dealt with diaper detonation at some point, but most parents have still not changed their kid's poopy diaper, or cleaned everything off of themselves, right in the middle of a food/beverage establishment.

:iagree: Also, the baby was a year old, right? So it's not like they were first time parents with a very young infant, and they didn't know about such possibilities. By the time your baby is a year old, you usually know about the need to be prepared.

You know what I think are good (and I can't believe I'm offering diaper changing advice on a public forum)?

Not those "changing pad" things, but the big blue-on-one-side and white gauzy-absorbent material on the other type sheets that they put under incontinent adults. They fold up small for the diaper bag in case of emergency, and after you use them you trash them.

Yes, they create "disposable waste," so you don't use them when there are other options. But in blow-out emergencies these things are the best (after the "football hold," which is ecologically superior).

Bill

Chucks. I always had a couple of chucks in the diaper bag.

I had 3 in diapers at the same time and traveled frequently with dh. There were many times that all my littles joined me in the bathroom when only one actually required it. I just let the server know we would be right back.

Bill, go for it. My adult son and his new dad friends would love the tutorial.

Having your baby have an explosive blow out it one thing. You do what you can to clean up and not make it worse. But choosing to lay a baby down on a chair in a coffee bar (or any other eating establishment), and change a diaper is a totally different thing. Both are unsanitary but like toddlers puking, the blow out is unavoidable and the typical parent would be apologetic to the staff and everyone would sympathize. If your baby blew out in a starbucks I am sure you would do what you had to to clean up quickly and get the hell out, not sit there sipping your latte. In this case the parents intentionally chose to change a diaper there where is it unhygenic for no other reason than their own laziness and entitlement, completely different situation imo. AND I can bet that if your baby had a blow out you would not have a temper tantrum and dump your coffee over being asked to be sure to clean up anything that may have gotten on the seat. A reasonable parent would say "sure will" and the staff would likely offer a roll of paper towels to help out.

As for not taking a load of toddlers and such along with you. Yeah I have done that for years, my 4 plus how ever many I am watching, at times that has meant marching 10 children into the bathroom, lining them up against the wall to be out of the way, and then proceeding to deal with 1 needing a change or potty use. I have also done so with 2 babies in the double stroller, 1 on me in the wrap and the row of ducklings (toddlers, preschoolers etc) following behind. If you don't want to deal with the extra hassle, don't take the kids out in public, hire a sitter.

I am NOT a germophobe. We do not wash hands around here nearly enough. We all have awesome immune systems. I have not read all the responses.

But that is absolutely disgusting IMO. Especially if we're talking #2. I used to take a full sized changing pad where ever we went, and if I had to lay it on the floor of the bathroom and clean the pad after, so be it. Or I'd use my car seat with the full size pad. Not every business needs to be accommodating to parents. If you don't like it, don't frequent those businesses. I agree with rude, selfish, and unsanitary. I used the full size pad on changing tables or floors. Both are disgusting.

I have no issue with breastfeeding wide open anywhere.

As for not taking a load of toddlers and such along with you. Yeah I have done that for years, my 4 plus how ever many I am watching, at times that has meant marching 10 children into the bathroom, lining them up against the wall to be out of the way, and then proceeding to deal with 1 needing a change or potty use. I have also done so with 2 babies in the double stroller, 1 on me in the wrap and the row of ducklings (toddlers, preschoolers etc) following behind. If you don't want to deal with the extra hassle, don't take the kids out in public, hire a sitter.

How is it even legal for one childcare provider to care for 10 children?

(4) go "somewhere else".

I am not wild about the last one.

- I do not like to use restrooms of stores I am not giving business to, I think that's rude.

- I need a discreet place to do it (to protect the baby's privacy) and that's not always available outside, especially in an urban environment.

I guess in that case, "somewhere else" would be on the sidewalk or grass outside. I never really worred about my babies' "privacy." They are babies. They don't know what privacy is. They mostly just want the mushy warm wet stuff out of their pants.

I suppose it's possible some weirdo is lurking in the parking lot waiting for a baby to poo his diaper so he can catch a peek but there seems like better ways for weirdos to spend their time. There's the interweb, for instance...

But if you go to a Starbuck's and you don't have a car, or a stroller - how did you get there??? You can sling a baby for sure but then use the dang sling for a changing pad.

It would be legal for licensed home daycare in my state to have up to 10 kids. I'm glad I never had to place my child into a daycare situation like this, but my niece and nephew were both in a daycare like that.

What is meant by "family child care" and "group family child care"?

Family child care is for 10 children or fewer at one time; no more than six may be younger than school age. Group family child care is for up to 14 children at any one time. The total number of children for both licenses includes the children of any caregiver when the children are present in the residence.

Y'all seemto assume the couple knew Starbucks doesn't have changing stations.

I never knew that until this thread.

And every time I've had to change a diaper in an undesirable manner, it was bc of a circumstance I didn't expect. It wasn't bc I'm too stupid or lazy to know how to pack or change a diaper in a clean manner.

This couple may have been total donkey butts. I can sure believe that too. Or maybe they are normally sane folks having the crappiest day ever. Idk.

But changing a diaper on a sofa or lounge chair is not at all like setting a load of poo next to a plate. There may not have even been a table nearby for all we know. And again, I don't know why they did it there.

So if the questions are:

Was couple nuts?

Yes.

Was staff rude?

Maybe.

If possible should diapers be changed at a station in a restroom of an establishment?

Sure.

Is it always the worst thing ever to change a diaper as cleanly as possible somewhere other than the restroom of an establishment?

No.

But if you go to a Starbuck's and you don't have a car, or a stroller - how did you get there??? You can sling a baby for sure but then use the dang sling for a changing pad.

What does what type of pad she have matter?! If she used a pad under the bum in the chair it's okay?

I'm assuming, and I'm aware how dangerous that is, that she used a pad of some sort. Good grief. If she just plopped a bare poo covered butt on someone's chair, that's sure another layer of problems we're discussing.

It would be legal for licensed home daycare in my state to have up to 10 kids. I'm glad I never had to place my child into a daycare situation like this, but my niece and nephew were both in a daycare like that.

What is meant by "family child care" and "group family child care"?

Family child care is for 10 children or fewer at one time; no more than six may be younger than school age. Group family child care is for up to 14 children at any one time. The total number of children for both licenses includes the children of any caregiver when the children are present in the residence.

The numbers are lower in my state. It's 6 if they are all under school age, with only 2 under 2. You can add 2 more school aged, so a total of 8, including your own.

Group care here means you have an assistant bc the numbers are higher than above.

So, no one is taking 10 kids, by themselves, into a public restroom and lining them up against a wall in a legally licensed childcare.

The numbers are lower in my state. It's 6 if they are all under school age, with only 2 under 2. You can add 2 more school aged, so a total of 8, including your own.

Group care here means you have an assistant bc the numbers are higher than above.

So, no one is taking 10 kids, by themselves, into a public restroom and lining them up against a wall in a legally licensed childcare.

Well, my niece and nephew encounter this on a regular basis. Their day care "mom" has 10 kids in her care (on her own) and regularly walks them around town - to the library, the park, etc. I'm not saying it's a good idea (it's definitely not in my world!). I'm just saying it's perfectly legal some places, and I don't doubt the previous poster. Laws vary depending on where you are. .

Because in my province you can be a private day home and have any number of children. I limited it to 6 plus my own, with no more than 3 under 3 and 2 under 2, because that was the maximum I could properly care for at one time, at the time that I had 6 dayhome kids my oldest was 7, so I had 10 kids under the age of 7 daily in my home and still never needed to resort to changing diapers on the chair of a starbucks or anywhere else.

Currently I am becoming a licensed dayhome which means 6 kids including any of mine that are under 12 different regulations, both fully legal within the province of alberta.

Each method of running a home daycare has it's pros and cons and providers here have different reasons for opting for either one, as do parents that choose where to register their kids.

Other than the tantrum and coffee on the floor, I just cannot get worked up over this. It is a shopping cart/hoes in the house issue for me. Sometimes parents do what they have to do. We do not know the ins and outs of everyone's trials and situations. As long as someone cleans up after themselves, I don't really care. I have seen way worse things in public places.

Agreed. I can't get over this thread. We have had unexpected things come up occasionally and had to do things we certainly wouldn't normally do. It just happens sometimes, no matter how much you plan.

I'd be mortified if I had a child puke all over in a restaurant, but I HAVE seen it happen. It wasn't pretty, and I'm sure it wasn't planned.

I personally don't believe diapers should be changed where people eat, it is unsanitary. I have kids (obviously) and at one point had two in diapers. If one needed to be changed and there wasn't a changing table in the restroom I simply changed them in the trunk of the car. Even in New England in the winter if you turn the car on and the heat up it works just fine and I could be done in under 5 minutes.

Starbucks is rarely located away from other businesses which means there was most likely a fast food restaurant or somewhere else with a changing table close by.

(and to me, this ties in to the breastfeeding in public arguments...babies shouldn't have to eat in the bathroom because it is unsanitary, they should be able to eat wherever other people can...babies shouldn't be changed in restaurants because it is unsanitary, their bladder and bowel functions should be dealt with in bathrooms)

Agreed. I can't get over this thread. We have had unexpected things come up occasionally and had to do things we certainly wouldn't normally do. It just happens sometimes, no matter how much you plan.

I'd be mortified if I had a child puke all over in a restaurant, but I HAVE seen it happen. It wasn't pretty, and I'm sure it wasn't planned.

How is an unplanned projection of vomit akin to an active decision to change a diaper in an eating environment?

Bill

How is an unplanned projection of vomit akin to a active decision to change a diaper in an eating environment?

Bill

No kidding.

Let's be blunt... we're talking about sh!t. Do you wash your hands after changing a diaper? Why? Do you make your kids wash their hands after going to the bathroom? Why? To make sure there's no sh!t on them. Why anyone would think it's appropriate to change a diaper in an eating area is beyond me. *You* may be the most careful diaper changer in the world, never getting sh!t on your hands, always careful not to graze hands or diaper or wipes against seats or tables, never touch doorknobs (even to go to the restroom to wash your hands), but we're not necessarily talking about you.

I think my reading comprehension must have dropped, or maybe I need to start reading everyone's posts with the tone of an angry drill Sargent instead of the tone of a laid back southern woman sipping a glass of adult lemonade*, because I am not reading this as people up in arms. Well, maybe about the DA dumping the drink; that idiot.

*No offense to Bill and his smooth Ashley Judd voice. :p

Perhaps it was a pee only diaper.

With no fecal contamination? Unlikely. Do you wash your hands after you pee? (ETA: that's rhetorical. :p)

I've done it on a chair, it wasn't like it was on a table. Most moms are quite quick about it. I always got out my hand sanitizer and wiped down the seat too but then again I'm a mom who also picks up the huge crumbs when dd would make a mess as a little one at a restaurant.

edited to add: i also always had a mat with me and would use it with a changing table or not. And I made sure that I always sat in the back corner because I would nurse in public also *gasp without covering dd up* and it was quieter

But, nursing in public doesn't smell like a dirty diaper. I don't think it is fair to the other customers to have to smell a dirty diaper being changed when they are eating. If someone is nursing near them, they can look away. But, smell is part of the taste experience and they can't simply not breathe.

Back to the original question, I always brought a changing pad with me so I could change when there wasn't an appropriate surface. I would put paper towels down on the floor under the pad if the floor was too disgusting. But, if the bathroom was that disgusting, I probably wouldn't patronize the place. If they can't keep a bathroom clean, how clean is the food prep area?

Meh. This is like squeamish people to me. I get it I suppose. It's just not something I have much patience for.

It's a diaper. They are common to babies. I'm fairly certain I am going to dislike wiping the crap off more than someone else dislikes knowing or seeing me do it. But such is life. I've had kids in diapers for a solid 18 years, most of the time i had 2 or 3 in diapers, and heck no I am not going to go home every time I needed to change a diaper for one of them. And I think putting a wobbly poop butt in my lap and trying to change it without dumping the baby or getting poop everywhere makes less sense than using a stable mostly out of sight and easy to wipe vinyl booth seat when other options weren't available for whatever reason. Not once in 18 years have I ever had anyone comment on it or be rude to me about it.

Playing the mom card to a forum of parents who've done their dues with diapers?

Some of us manage just fine.

Playing the mom card to a forum of parents who've done their dues with diapers?

Some of us manage just fine.

Not playing the mom card. Simply observing that some us who disagree manage just fine too.

Gross (both the diaper thing and the employee).

But come on, I can't believe some people aren't icked out. We did have a discussion here about people being angry about dogs in restaurants. I'd rather a dog than diaper changing.

Not me. Diaper over dog every time. Why? Because in my limited experience more people use hand sanitizer after a diaper than they do after letting their dog lick treats from their hands or take a bite off their spoon. Two things I have seen people do IRL. :o That and at least most seem to try to change the diaper as discretely as possible whereas dogs will hike a leg and lick their bits just about anywhere. And not one of my babies has ever purposely rubbed their bare bum across my carpet to scratch a private itch.

I'd rather someone quickly and discretely change a diaper in the floor or in a seat in the corner than bring in a dog any day.

And I have two dogs whom we adore. One is put in her crate when we eat bc she is just rude otherwise, still a puppy, but she's an English mastiff, so she's an eager puppy the size of a mini pony. The other dog is middle aged minature poodle and is an angel of manners during meals in hopes of a scraps, so he sits under the chairs of the two youngest on full alert.

On the topic of states that allow 10 or even 14 children to be in ONE person's care. Not in a million years would I leave my child in the care of someone trying to care for that many children. That is insane. I thought the 1 to 5 ratio for infants to caregivers in Colorado day cares was bad... mainly because I found myself in that situation and believe me, one person cannot care for 5 infants at the same time without any help. I don't care how good you are with children.

Not playing the mom card. Simply observing that some us who disagree manage just fine too.

Not me. Diaper over dog every time. Why? Because in my limited experience more people use hand sanitizer after a diaper than they do after letting their dog lick treats from their hands or take a bite off their spoon. Two things I have seen people do IRL. :o That and at least most seem to try to change the diaper as discretely as possible whereas dogs will hike a leg and lick their bits just about anywhere. And not one of my babies has ever purposely rubbed their bare bum across my carpet to scratch a private itch.

I'd rather someone quickly and discretely change a diaper in the floor or in a seat in the corner than bring in a dog any day.

And I have two dogs whom we adore. One is put in her crate when we eat bc she is just rude otherwise, still a puppy, but she's an English mastiff, so she's an eager puppy the size of a mini pony. The other dog is middle aged minature poodle and is an angel of manners during meals in hopes of a scraps, so he sits under the chairs of the two youngest on full alert.

Ack, you said it again. Learning that you use hand sanitizer in lieu of handwashing after a diaper change at the dinner table does not add to my comfort with this scenario. :ack2:

I wouldn't change my baby's diaper in *my* kitchen, so why the holy heck would it make sense to do so in a eating area when out? Ick, ick, ick

And chances are, a 1 yo getting a dirty diaper changed...yeah, I would've been gagging. Thanks to pregnancy super smell, I've had to hand Boo over to Wolf or Diva and literally leave the house.

Ack, you said it again. Learning that you use hand sanitizer in lieu of handwashing after a diaper change at the dinner table does not add to my comfort with this scenario. :ack2:

Oh for crying out loud. :eyeroll: Keep up with the convo woman!

If there was a sink to use, I wouldn't be using the hand sanitizer bc I'd have changed the baby near the sink to begin with and this was not a dining table. It was a coffee shop. There might have been a coffee table near by, but it's usually not set up like a dining table room.

The entire purpose of hand sanitizer is to use it when one would rather have soap and hot water but can't do so at that moment. It's a staple in most diaper bags for exactly such ocassions I would think.

On the topic of states that allow 10 or even 14 children to be in ONE person's care. Not in a million years would I leave my child in the care of someone trying to care for that many children. That is insane. I thought the 1 to 5 ratio for infants to caregivers in Colorado day cares was bad... mainly because I found myself in that situation and believe me, one person cannot care for 5 infants at the same time without any help. I don't care how good you are with children.

But Brandi isn't caring for 5 infants.

What about families with large numbers of children? It is possible to birth 10 in 10 years time.

Apropos of nothing, just thinkin how things have changed:

To the best of my recollection, when I started having kids, portable hand sanitizer was not at all common.

Me too. Just clean baby wipes to clean our hands if running water wasn't readily available at the moment.

Apropos of nothing, just thinkin how things have changed:

To the best of my recollection, when I started having kids, portable hand sanitizer was not at all common.

Well I do not even want to know what you did with your dirty hands back in the olden days!

Bunch of dirty hippies spreading peace, love, and bacteria all over the place. I am surprised those of us raised before anti-bac gel survived.

:p

I probably wouldn't put my children in a day care situation like this either, but plenty of mothers manage families with 10 or more children all by themselves during the day, and many of them do it better than mothers with 1 or 2 chidlren. It isn't impossible, especially since you are probably dealing with a wide range of ages, it just takes organization, planning, and a whole lot of patience and discipline.

Not playing the mom card.

Don't try playing the Mom card with me, lady!

I mean what's your 18 solid years of constant diaper changing up against my (at most) 18 times changing poopy diapers out in publi.....oh dear, I'm afraid I've painted myself into a corner from which I'm going to find it difficult to extricate myself! :D

I think I'll try a big football leap. Ahh, pulled a quad. I'm down. Call a medic.

Bill (who just had some narcotic cold syrup. Ignore me)

But Brandi isn't caring for 5 infants.

What about families with large numbers of children? It is possible to birth 10 in 10 years time.

Indeed. And they will even babysit multiple kids for friends without any problems at all most of the time.

That said, I'd knaw off my own left hand to get out of babysitting strangers' children for a living. ;p

If I was taking 10 children on an outing it probably wouldn't be to Starbucks.

Lol. I can see it now....

In other news later tonight, the unexpected reaction a local barista experienced when a disheveled exhausted mother of 10 was denied a desperately needed venti mocha latte because she brought her kids in with her when placing her order.....

A few mothers across the nation tune in nodding their heads sagely at how crazy stupid some poor barista must have been and hope he's recovering okay.

;p

Seriously though.

Ya'll know mothers of 10 get through their days needing or wanting to do everything you do, right? Yes, I took my kids in to order coffee back when I ordered coffee if I couldn't use a drive thru. I wish someone local would start making bulletproof coffee I could get through a drive through. But alas they don't. :(

Thinking about this some more. I honestly believe we live in an anti-infant, anti-baby and anti-child society. I think it is really just luck that those of you who would have or did change a baby on the floor of a public restroom didn't get the stink eye. Chances are you did behind your back. And probably someone said something like, "Can you believe that parent changing that poor kid on the FLOOR of a public restroom. How DISGUSTING."

Parents can't win no matter what. Children should be out do sight. No changing diapers in the restroom, in the shopping cart, on one's lap in the restaurant or on the subway or at the park. Along the same lines, children shouldn't be loud, shouldn't cry, shouldn't do or be anything other than be little adults. We collectively don't have the patience.

Starbucks caters to the up and coming professional about town. Not the mom's group meeting for coffee. Or the family out for an afternoon. (After all children should be in school.). So no they don't have changing tables or convenient places to change a baby. What they don't realize is they have grown beyond the up and coming professional. It is also usually staffed by young people who probably don't have children and know their needs.

I take issue with Starbucks for not realizing this and seeing about all their customers needs. After all caffeine ends up in breast milk. Starbucks ought to be thinking about their future customer base.

All of the Starbucks in our town have changing tables. We go there often as a family and have experienced none of this child-hate.

I don't think it's immoral or bad business for Starbucks to align themselves with the folks who prefer not to dine with feces.

Yeah, the child hate thing seems a little out there. I love my kids, but I don't want their poop at my table. One of my kids always needed to poop right after she took her first bite of food. Inconvenient as it was, I always whisked her away so she could create a stink in the bathroom, not at the table. For that matter, since when does poop in a diaper (or out of it) equate to love in any way, shape, or form? I mean, why not expand it a bit and say anyone who doesn't like being puked on hates kids too? Or hearing the screaming of an overtired kid. (Oh, never mind, that's already been covered.) :/ Or are there people who actually go to Starbucks hoping to smell poop as they sip their drink? Maybe Starbucks should do an experiment and offer Poop Aroma Café and see how it sells. If we didn't hate babies in this country, this would surely be a favorite. :/

Maybe Starbucks should do an experiment and offer Poop Aroma Café and see how it sells. If we didn't hate babies in this country, this would surely be a favorite. :/

Starbucks only just came to the realization two or three years ago that a coffee shop should smell like... wait for it... coffee. I kid you not. The "new" aroma was part of the big retooling when they brought one of the original bigwigs back in to refocus or some such jargon.

Don't give them ideas.

Maybe Starbucks could implement "pooping" and "non-pooping" sections. You know, like restaurants did back in the day for smokers? That way, those that don't mind and want the convenience of changing messy diapers at their table can do so - and those that prefer a poop-free dining experience can sit in a well-ventilated area on the other side of the establishment. :p

Maybe Starbucks could implement "pooping" and "non-pooping" sections. You know, like restaurants did back in the day for smokers? That way, those that don't mind and want the convenience of changing messy diapers at their table can do so - and those that don't can sit in a well-ventilated poop-free area on the other side of the establishment. :p

Talk about baby hating. Why not make all parents and children sit in the back of the bus, too? :-P