Menu

Starbucks dirty diaper incident

Moxie

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought about this thread again when my dad called me this AM to tell me he'd been up all night with norovirus. My mother is in a care facility for dementia and he visits everyday. The whole floor has norovirus. If you've ever been unfortunate enough to experience it, you know how horrible norovirus is and how quickly and *easily* it spreads. Now think about these discreet diaper changes in restaurants :ack2: :ack2: :ack2: .

Thought about this thread again when my dad called me this AM to tell me he'd been up all night with norovirus. My mother is in a care facility for dementia and he visits everyday. The whole floor has norovirus. If you've ever been unfortunate enough to experience it, you know how horrible norovirus is and how quickly and *easily* it spreads. Now think about these discreet diaper changes in restaurants :ack2: :ack2: :ack2: .

And not everyone knows that you're contagious for up to 3 days after symptoms end.

Just so everyone knows, I took my kids to Panera last night and sat in a booth without sanitizing it first. If I disappear from these boards, I probably died from some poop-borne disease. It was nice knowing y'all.

I have nothing new to add to the conversation. I just want some of whatever Bill's having. :D

Some long-expired Promethazine-Codeine syrup from back in early 2009 that I saved for cases of emergency. I see now it says "teaspoon" not "tablespoon." Oops! :D

Boy did I have some interesting dreams after I nodded out!

Did I miss anything?

Bill

You know what I think are good (and I can't believe I'm offering diaper changing advice on a public forum)?

Not those "changing pad" things, but the big blue-on-one-side and white gauzy-absorbent material on the other type sheets that they put under incontinent adults. They fold up small for the diaper bag in case of emergency, and after you use them you trash them.

Yes, they create "disposable waste," so you don't use them when there are other options. But in blow-out emergencies these things are the best (after the "football hold," which is ecologically superior).

Bill

Yes! My nurses gave me whole stacks of them after giving birth in hospitals and I loved them! Great for changing diapers in the van!

Talk about baby hating. Why not make all parents and children sit in the back of the bus, too? :-P

I doubt anyone here hates babies. Unless some whacko person decided to homeschool themselves all over again from the beginning, why would they be here??

What people are not fond of is other's people's excrement. Now your baby may seem amazing and special to you but to me, that's just poo. Keep it out of my food and the places where I and my family consume food. Actually, I don't want to see your poo anywhere out and about. Handle it like a grown up and have respect for others.

I doubt anyone here hates babies. Unless some whacko person decided to homeschool themselves all over again from the beginning, why would they be here??

What people are not fond of is other's people's excrement. Now your baby may seem amazing and special to you but to me, that's just poo. Keep it out of my food and the places where I and my family consume food. Actually, I don't want to see your poo anywhere out and about. Handle it like a grown up and have respect for others.

You guys. If there's anything that ought to come across in my comments, it's that I'm not a fan of poop. Not your kid's, not my kids'. Not bull poop either. Especially not bull poop.

You guys. If there's anything that ought to come across in my comments, it's that I'm not a fan of poop. Not your kid's, not my kids'. Not bull poop either. Especially not bull poop.

cowpat-range1.jpg

I did this once with my eldest, but it was a pee diaper. We had to pull off the highway for a snowstorm and I was very pg with dd so I had no lap. The bathroom was not an option, slush and water all over the floor, no counter, no change table. I did it very quickly and privately in the corner of Tim Hortons, on the seat NOT on the table (that would be extra rude) and nobody noticed. It had to be done, and I took the only option I could see available to me.

I am @ Olive Garden for $6:95 Soup, salad, breadsticks. Studying for my LMFT. The couple next to me have a bad case of "first people to ever have a baby." They have their infant ON the table, mom holding her by the hips. And everything she does is cute.

My vote? Rude.

I am @ Olive Garden for $6:95 Soup, salad, breadsticks. Studying for my LMFT. The couple next to me have a bad case of "first people to ever have a baby." They have their infant ON the table, mom holding her by the hips. And everything she does is cute.

My vote? Rude.

Wait...are you being serious or sarcastic? Is having the baby sit on the table rude? I'm pretty sure I've done this.

I'm starting to realize I'm clueless and offend people right and left.

Wait...are you being serious or sarcastic? Is having the baby sit on the table rude? I'm pretty sure I've done this.

No, I am serious. I think having a baby sit on a restaurant dining table is rude.

No, I am serious. I think having a baby sit on a restaurant dining table is rude.

Well, I promise the management at my husband's restaurant won't scold anyone for it. Actually, I'm pretty sure two of his managers have "borrowed" my youngest and plopped him on a table to get some baby time. (And isn't everything an infant does cute? How could a parent go wrong there?)

As a former Olive Garden employee, someone buying the soup and salad and camping at a table for the whole afternoon would have been rude. People can get offended about anything they want. ;)

This thread is so educational. Between this comment and the one by the person who was offended when toddlers use changing tables, I have learned that people will get in a huff about anything ever!

Well, I promise the management at my husband's restaurant won't scold anyone for it. Actually, I'm pretty sure two of his managers have "borrowed" my youngest and plopped him on a table to get some baby time. (And isn't everything an infant does cute? How could a parent go wrong there?)

As a former Olive Garden employee, someone buying the soup and salad and camping at a table for the whole afternoon would have been rude. People can get offended about anything they want. ;)

I wouldn't want a baby's diapered butt sitting on a table where I was going to be having a meal -- and I don't care how cute the kid is. It has been quite a few years, but I still remember what might be inside that diaper. :ack2:

And not for anything, but when did Joanne say she was "camping at a table for the whole afternoon???" :glare: I assumed, as I'm sure most people would, that she was studying while she ate her lunch.

I wouldn't want a baby's diapered butt sitting on a table where I was going to be having a meal -- and I don't care how cute the kid is. It has been quite a few years, but I still remember what might be inside that diaper. :ack2:

And not for anything, but when did Joanne say she was "camping at a table for the whole afternoon???" :glare:

My children do wear clothes in public, you know. I rest my arms on the table when I'm sitting there, and they've been holding that same adorable diapered bum. Plus the tables are recovered each time they're used.

You can get offended on Joanne's behalf, but it's just showing one more thing that offends people. ;) It wasn't a statement about her as much as my experience anyway. I'd explain in more detail, but either you'd be appalled or I would be appalled that you weren't appalled. Rinse, repeat.

My children do wear clothes in public, you know. I rest my arms on the table when I'm sitting there, and they've been holding that same adorable diapered bum. Plus the tables are recovered each time they're used.

You can get offended on Joanne's behalf, but it's just showing one more thing that offends people. ;) It wasn't a statement about her as much as my experience anyway. I'd explain in more detail, but either you'd be appalled or I would be appalled that you weren't appalled. Rinse, repeat.

Most casual restaurants do not re-cover the tables each time they are used. They usually just wipe them off with a grubby rag. :ack2: (Don't even get me started on what I think of the grubby rags...... ;) )

I wasn't offended on Joanne's behalf; I just thought you were reading something into her statement that wasn't there. I agree with you, though, that it's very rude when people sit at a table for hours with coffee and a pastry, and work on their computers (or whatever.) It's bad enough in a place like Starbucks, when people are waiting for tables, but is far worse when there is a waiter or waitress losing money on tips for hours because no other customers can be seated and served.

I was wondering how the diapered butt was relevant to a baby sitting on a table. Even the "rednecks" around here put clothes over the baby's diapers. Lots of people do annoying things at tables, on the rare occasion we are out I just ignore them. If people don't want to see kids when out they should go to adult only establishments.

I was wondering how the diapered butt was relevant to a baby sitting on a table. Even the "rednecks" around here put clothes over the baby's diapers. Lots of people do annoying things at tables, on the rare occasion we are out I just ignore them. If people don't want to see kids when out they should go to adult only establishments.

Diapers can leak.

I'm not sure why it's starting to seem like anyone who doesn't think it's OK for people to sit their babies on a table or who thinks it's gross to watch someone change them in a restaurant is suddenly some sort of baby-hater.

It's a hygiene thing, not an anti-baby thing.

Eh, I was getting a bit of the baby-hating (or parent-hating?) vibe from Joanne's post. How dare that baby be cute! ;) I love babies. I love parents doting over babies. I've seen too many parents who didn't, so even the over-the-top mamas and daddies make me smile. I am soft. I'm also nearly impossible to offend. :laugh:

Dear Starbucks diaper changer parents,

If you didn't want to be inconvenienced, the very last thing you should have done was procreated. Offspring create inconvenience.

YOU must leave the restaurant. End.of.story. YOU find somewhere appropriate to change your child. YOU avoid Starbucks if they do not have changing tables until such time as YOUR offspring is potty trained. YOU hire a babysitter. YOU deal with it. It is NOT the job of everyone else in the world to deal with your child's diaper problems while they sip their Mocha.

:ack2: Between the diaper people, the strawberry teacher, and the whackaloons that have responded to dd's RSVP cards, I think I need a vacation to a more civilized, mannered region of the world.

On days like today, it really stinks that my MIL has not yet figured out how to bake a GF replacement of her divine rum cake!

Faith

Diapers can leak.

I'm not sure why it's starting to seem like anyone who doesn't think it's OK for people to sit their babies on a table or who thinks it's gross to watch someone change them in a restaurant is suddenly some sort of baby-hater.

Diapers can leak? Seriously?

Babies' hands are much more likely to be gross, since they definitely go into mouths and noses. Are you also offended when a highchair is pulled up to a table?

Diapers can leak.

Earlier on people were defending the diaper couple with the excuse of diaper blow outs, so blow outs are the reason to be okay with poop in the restaurant but then when pointed out diapers leak it is seen as not a good reason to keep bums off of tables. just another fun switch up on the hive.

As for baby on table, babies are adorable(mostly), but I would be annoyed by baby bums or baby feet on the table. Why? not because of diapers etc but because I think it is important to teach basic restaurant etiquette from the very first time you bring baby into one. You don't sit on tables, you don't stand on the seat to look at the people behind you, you don't throw your food around, or shriek just to shriek, not changing baby at the table etc. Babys/toddlers/children not ready to follow those things on their own need parents teaching it, not plopping them down on the table and thinking it is so cute. If parents are not ready to teach proper manners and etiquette then they need to keep their children home and let others enjoy their coffee/meal/whatever in peace.

Are you suggesting that they don't? :confused:

Babies' hands are much more likely to be gross, since they definitely go into mouths and noses. Are you also offended when a highchair is pulled up to a table?

Are you saying that you think I'm anti-baby? Because I'm not. I'm anti-careless-and-inconsiderate parents. It's not the same thing.

If the parents are letting the kid smoosh food all over the table and drop it on the floor, then yes, I think it's disgusting. But why would you think I would be offended by seeing a child in a highchair? I would assume that most babies and toddlers sit in highchairs. I mean, it's not only gross, but is also unsanitary for the baby to smoosh and play with food all over the tray of the highchair, as well, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

Realistically, I would use hand sanitizer on any restaurant table before my baby's hands touched it, because we all know that there are tons of germs and bacteria on restaurant tables (and a baby with a stomach virus does not make for a happy baby or a happy mom,) and I would also clean it up afterward as a courtesy to the wait staff and to the next people to sit at the table. But a lot of parents absolutely amaze me by allowing their children to turn restaurant tables (and the floors underneath them) into disaster areas, and then just walk out without a second thought to cleaning up after themselves.

Me too. Good grief.

Indeed. I get compliments on my kids in restaurants all the time. More than a few times people admired them enough to pay our ticket before it was brought to the table. Thank heavens for them or I'd seriously be developing a complex about taking my kids anywhere to eat. Well that and not being a germaphobe helps. ;p

On days like today, it really stinks that my MIL has not yet figured out how to bake a GF replacement of her divine rum cake!

Faith

I disagree with you to some level, and normally I'd post a detailed rebuttal, but instead I'm just going to keep eating my dairy free, gluten free, grain free, no sugar added chocolate cream pie. *insert evil laughter* ;p

Anti-Baby Baby Haters, yes, this is where we congregate. The large families and the sacrificial homeschooling lifestyle are all just to make us look normal.

Can we drop that intimation, please? It's just silly.

:iagree:

I can't imagine that anyone here is anti-baby or anti-child, and think it's ridiculous that anyone should imply otherwise.

Now, I'm sure a few of us are Anti-Idiot-Parents, but maybe I shouldn't go there........ :D

...I'm just going to keep eating my dairy free, gluten free, grain free, no sugar added chocolate cream pie. *insert evil laughter* ;p

I can honestly say that I have never had a dairy free, gluten free, grain free, no sugar added chocolate cream pie, but if it's chocolate cream pie, I'm sure I'd love it.

I love pie. :001_tt1:

Are you suggesting that they don't? :confused:

Are you saying that you think I'm anti-baby? Because I'm not. I'm anti-careless-and-inconsiderate parents. It's not the same thing.

If the parents are letting the kid smoosh food all over the table and drop it on the floor, then yes, I think it's disgusting. But why would you think I would be offended by seeing a child in a highchair? I would assume that most babies and toddlers sit in highchairs. I mean, it's not only gross, but is also unsanitary for the baby to smoosh and play with food all over the tray of the highchair, as well, but I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

Realistically, I would use hand sanitizer on any restaurant table before my baby's hands touched it, because we all know that there are tons of germs and bacteria on restaurant tables (and a baby with a stomach virus does not make for a happy baby or a happy mom,) and I would also clean it up afterward as a courtesy to the wait staff and to the next people to sit at the table. But a lot of parents absolutely amaze me by allowing their children to turn restaurant tables (and the floors underneath them) into disaster areas, and then just walk out without a second thought to cleaning up after themselves.

Was pointing out the inconsistency of being repulsed by clothed bums on tables but not baby's hands on tables. Clothed bums are probsbly clean, hands probably are not germ free. Not sure why you brought up smooshing food or leaving a mess under the chair, that is clearly not what I was referring to.

Not every challenge to someone on this topic is a self righteous claim of you-must-hate babies. I just don't think a clothed baby's behind is disgusting.

Judging by the responses to this thread, the overwhelming majority of us apparently qualify as "anti-baby" by some people's definitions. You're in good company, Cat. ;)

Maybe we should start our own anti-baby social group! :w00t:

Let's celebrate with some rum and some of Martha's chocolate cream pie! (OK, so she hasn't exactly offered to share, but maybe if we all look really, really hungry..... :drool5: )

I can honestly say that I have never had a dairy free, gluten free, grain free, no sugar added chocolate cream pie, but if it's chocolate cream pie, I'm sure I'd love it.

I love pie. :001_tt1:

Me too! After doing the whole30, I find I can't tolerate the stuff I gave up! :( I suppose I need to figure out if it's everything or just something common in nearly everything, but I'm too busy or too lazy to start a scientific investigation into what won't turn my guts into knots and make me feel like I have the flu. So instead, I'm just sticking to the Whole30 plan. This was my first venture into making a dessert that is compliant and I am one ridiculously happy woman at the moment. :biggrin:

Was pointing out the inconsistency of being repulsed by clothed bums on tables but not baby's hands on tables. Clothed bums are probsbly clean, hands probably are not germ free. Not sure why you brought up smooshing food or leaving a mess under the chair, that is clearly not what I was referring to.

Not every challenge to someone on this topic is a self righteous claim of you-must-hate babies. I just don't think a clothed baby's behind is disgusting.

I guess we can agree to disagree on the baby's bums on the table thing. :)

But I don't think there was an inconsistency about the hands on the table issue. If the baby is drooling all over his hands and then rubbing them all over the table, I think that's pretty repulsive, too -- and not just because I wouldn't want to be the next customer at the table, but also because I'd be worried that the baby would get sick. I brought up the food issue because I wasn't sure why you would suggest that anyone would be offended by a baby in a highchair -- the only thing I could think of was that the baby might smoosh food all over it and make a disgusting mess all over the place.

And again, I think copious amounts of hand santizer to clean the table or highchair tray are in order in either case.

Maybe we should start our own anti-baby social group! :w00t:

Let's celebrate with some rum and some of Martha's chocolate cream pie! (OK, so she hasn't exactly offered to share, but maybe if we all look really, really hungry..... :drool5: )

I'm already drinking a glass of Don Miguel Gascon Malbec. I like to proactively have my drink in hand in case a reason to celebrate comes up. That way, I'm always prepared. :D :cheers2:

Me too! After doing the whole30, I find I can't tolerate the stuff I gave up! :( I suppose I need to figure out if it's everything or just something common in nearly everything, but I'm too busy or too lazy to start a scientific investigation into what won't turn my guts into knots and make me feel like I have the flu. So instead, I'm just sticking to the Whole30 plan. This was my first venture into making a dessert that is compliant and I am one ridiculously happy woman at the moment. :biggrin:

I hope the plan works for you, Martha -- it's miserable to feel sick all the time! :grouphug:

(And I still want some pie. ;))

I'm already drinking a glass of Don Miguel Gascon Malbec. I like to proactively have my drink in hand in case a reason to celebrate comes up. That way, I'm always prepared. :D :cheers2:

It's so important to always be prepared.

Sets an excellent example for the kids. :)

I'm prepping dinner, sucking back a comically large glass Ravens Wood red zinfandel, and (almost) desperately craving a cigarette for the first time in 15 years because I've been watching too much Mad Men.

Now for dessert...

I am openly anti-baby when it comes to any more being brought forth out of my uterus.

And, as much as I love using proper manners, I am even a bigger fan of using common sense.

In the Starbucks story the parents failed to use either.

Most people's failure of sense or of manners makes me sigh and then I move on. When the failure is so profound that the media gets called in I may stop and gawk for a moment. I do not have the time or energy to be offended by every little stupid thing or person that crosses my path, but sometimes the concentration of stupid is so great it begs a comment.

Regarding proper baby-butt-in-dining-area ettiquette:

Anyone expecting a consensus of opinion on this board has not been paying attention.

Oh mannnn. Chardonnay. How I miss Chardonnay.

As an off topic funny...

Dh took me to a restaurant after my whole30 was up and I decided to try a glass of Chardonnay, but I wasn't familiar with their listing and didn't know which was buttery like I like. So the staff brought me a sample of their 3 Chardonnays labeled as being either buttery or creamy. And I liked the Fat Bastard one the best. To which dh commented, "I've seen that one at the liquer store. I thought you would like it by the bottle description, but there was no way I was going to bring home anything with Fat in the name on a day when you are in need of a good drink. And that was before you even wanted to loose weight."

Ha. Smart man.