193 members have voted

1. 1. Throw up buckets

• We have one and only use it for throwing up
    • We have one and it is used for other things after cleaning it out
    • We use whatever and clean it out and use it later
    • We use whatever and throw it away
    • We don't have one, everyone is expected to make it to the bathroom
    • Other or it varies

I use my bathroom trash can and my kids have a large bowl they use. If there are multiple kids sick we just break out any large bowl or pot. Dh never gets sick. We try to hit the toilet but my kids pace all over the house when they get sick so they don't always make it :)

We have small plastic wastebaskets in our bedrooms and under desks. They generally hold only dry non-food trash so can be quickly dumped. These are repurposed to barf buckets when someone is sick, and rinsed out with water from the tub, dumping into toilet. At the end of a sick time, I endeavor to clean with vinegar.

Toddlers and babies I often just put a towel or diaper under them to catch it. These are given the same hot wash as dirty diapers.

We use what ever trash can the sick person has in his/her room. Said person carries it from bedroom to living room. I use trash can liners to make clean up and sanitizing easier.

This is what we do.

But I must say this is a timely question for us. Last Easter ds took his Easter bucket with him to church because we left so early in the morning, and he wanted to look through it etc. On the way home he became sick. We dumped out the bucket and he used that to throw up in. :ack2: ...And that is why Easter buckets are better than Easter baskets ;) . Throwing up in a basket in the car would have been far more upsetting (to me anyway.) I posted about that last year.

We have one and I get it out when someone is sick but it is a just in case thing. They all make the toilet now and have for awhile but occasionally when they are sick they need the toilet for other things while also needing the bucket. Bleck! It isn't used for anything else. I think it is the basin I was given at the hospital when I gave birth to one of them.

We have a bucket and I also grab those plastic toy bins. They are better for the little ones as they're no so deep. Right now I have 3 who are puking so one bucket wouldn't work. I have one of my kids who always misses the bucket. :glare: There's a towel under that bucket right now.

We just use our regular stock pot. Afterward, it gets rinsed and run through the sani-cycle in the dishwasher.

Oh, good - I was reading the posts and starting to feel like we were the only family that grabbed the stock pots for barf. We have two (pasta is almost a daily thing here so the pots live, stacked together, on a back burner of the stove) and "the pot" goes next to whoever feels ill. I just wash them out really good before they get used to boil water or make soup later. Bleach is my friend.

The reason I even brought this up is because when my son had the flu last week my DH gave him one of our stock pots. I was really upset as I would have chosen a dish pan bucket or something that didn't involve food.

But it was too late and that pot is too expensive to replace just because it had throw up in it.

UGH

We rarely ever throw up. As in, in our family of 5, one of us may vomit once in the entire year, if that. We have each only thrown up a handful of times in our lives.

If one of us feels like we may vomit, we either camp out near the bathroom, or keep a gallon Ziploc bag nearby.

We use lined bathroom trashcans (lined with plastic bags). Makes clean up easy and that way if they have it coming out both ends they can sit on the toilet and use the trash can to throw up in. Lovely experience that I would be fine to never repeat myself or have my kids repeat ever again in our lives!!

Didn't we just have a couple threads about this? Blah. Gross.

We rarely ever throw up. As in, in our family of 5, one of us may vomit once in the entire year, if that. We have each only thrown up a handful of times in our lives.

Do you attribute this to anything in particular? This is awesome.

Not who you were asking but it's the same for us, and the only thing I can attribute it to is being really good about washing our hands when we come back in from anywhere. YMMV :)

I'm not sure I want an answer, but I'm wondering how those of you who use the toilet deal with episodes at 'both ends....' Definitely no to the toilet here. We have several plastic paint pails that are used for this purpose. I use a cute turquoise bowl when pregnant though.

I voted that we don't have one. We must be a strange (and very blessed) family because our sons have never thrown up (they are 7.5 YO) and my dh has never thrown up since I have known him (around 9 years). I threw up some when my gallbladder was falling apart and needed to be removed (before children) and then I got a stomach bug when our sons were babies and I threw up a couple of times one day with that. Other than that, we have not had any throwing up around our house, thankfully.

I hear of other families going through this often and I often wonder why it never hits us. We have colds go through our house a couple of times a year but that's about it. Whatever the reason, I am oh so grateful:).

Well, I'm guessing a tendency not to vomit must be partially hereditary. As another PP mentioned, we also get a couple of colds a year and that's about it, so we just don't tend to get sick much in general.

I always assumed that the kids not being in school helped keep us from being exposed to too much "stuff", and we are also careful not to visit friends or family when they are sick, etc.

Honestly, I am not a meticulous housekeeper, we have more than our fair share of dust, the floors are rarely mopped (vacuumed yes, washed no) and the counters, while wiped down, are not disinfected regularly, etc. We are also quite lax about leaving food out for a couple of hours before putting it away, thawing meat at room temperature for most of the day, and still eating food that has been forgotten out overnight (gasp!). I am much more careful with food handling when we have guests, but I know my family's stomachs can handle more than average. I often wonder of our increased exposure to germs has built up our immune systems, or if we're just lucky.

This is us, too. Very, very, very rarely does anyone throw-up here. We just use a big mixing bowl but I think its only been "used" about twice. Sterilize afterward. Mostly it just goes on the floor.

To those of you who use a dedicated receptacle, what do you do it it gets on carpeting? Isn't that way worse? If you can get carpet clean enough then surely you can clean a bucket.

We use what ever trash can the sick person has in his/her room. Said person carries it from bedroom to living room. I use trash can liners to make clean up and sanitizing easier.

This. I used to prefer the toilet until I was sick last year with a virus that involved a lot of vomit. I discovered--the hard and icky way--that barfing in the toilet entails an unacceptable amount of...ummm...blowback. We've stuck to buckets ever since. (And it's only that common an occurrence here because DD10 seems to have a mild version of cyclic vomiting disorder, so every other month or so, we're up at 6 a.m. with her puking :()

As for those who say they don't throw up much, I really think it isn't anything specific. Three of us don't throw up. I mean maybe once or twice in 10 years or so. The other two children have more of a tendency towards throwing up. One in particular throws up or gets sick far more easily.

No real rhyme or reason as far as I can tell.

The 6 and 9 yo mostly get themselves to the bathroom. The newly 3 yo is not reliable in getting there. Everyone gets a dishpan (super cheap- $2 or so?) next to their bed or they clean out their trashcan before bed, just in case they can't make it in time. I tend to quarantine the vomiters in one bathroom if at all possible. Sometimes they try to use the upstairs hall bath for example, and I have them carry their dishpan/trashcan with them in case they don't make it up the stairs.

I imagine the particles (gross, gross, gross, I know!) fly, so I prefer that they try to do their vomiting in the bathroom when possible because the hard surfaces are easier to sterilize and clean. I feel like maybe more of the contagion is contained in the more easily cleaned spaces if they do what they have to do in the bathroom. Norovirus can live like 2 weeks on porous surfaces like carpet that can't be bleached.

• 8 years later...

This topic made me laugh because I was just remembering an INFAMOUS birthday party at which my youngest had just blown out the birthday candles when she puked. And - I'm not exaggerating - within 24 hours, everyone in that room (10 of us!) were suffering from the worst tummy bug ever. At least two of my kids were puking on the car ride home, which was 1.5 hours, by the way)! My parents are still so scarred from it that they insist they need an apartment with two bathrooms when they (hopefully) move. Looking back, it was actually a fascinating case of contagious illness, but it was brutal at the time, especially in my house where there were 6 of us "purging" at once - some from both ends. (Shudder) 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1