Menu

should I highlight my hair a fun color - like blue or pink?

HollyDay

I'd do it--I've done it--though I prefer several chunks. I don't know the technical term, but my stylist always put the highlights underneath the top layers of my hair, so when the bold color grew out you couldn't see the noticeable roots. I highly reccomended getting it done that way! Also, blues are my favorite, but it will fade thru several different shades. I loved it, but keep in mind blue may fade from blue to teal to green.

Sure! I had hot pink highlights last year. The non-natural colors do fade, so be prepared for that. For me, hot pink was great. It started out a bold fuchsia, then faded into lighter shades of pink. Very pretty.

I'll probably do it again this year. It seems like a fun thing for the spring/summer.

Sure! I had hot pink highlights last year. The non-natural colors do fade, so be prepared for that. For me, hot pink was great. It started out a bold fuchsia, then faded into lighter shades of pink. Very pretty.

I'll probably do it again this year. It seems like a fun thing for the spring/summer.

I tend to like the look of the pinks, too. They're really popular, probably because the fade-out is so pretty.

Absolutely go for it! Last summer the kids asked for some blue highlights to their hair, so I went and bought a box of Splat semi-permanent and gave them some streaks. Well, DD got streaks, DS got his mohawk colored. It used hardly any color out of the bottle. A few months later I was looking at that box of hair color and decided to just go for it. It was really bright and blue for about a week or so, and then started fading. The color completely washed out eventually, and I'm thinking of doing it again. It was fun and unexpected.

I've seen some ladies about my age with a streak of blue or pink in their hair. What does the Hive think about this? Would it look really ridiculous on an almost 51 year old?

I'm sorry, I'll be the lone voice of dissent. I think this look is for the under-35 set. :001_rolleyes: If you want to have a dramatic streak, I'd go for something more subtle...and under-layer or streak of burgundy or even plum maybe? Or if you have light hair, a lighter red streak or under-layer.

I've seen some ladies about my age with a streak of blue or pink in their hair. What does the Hive think about this? Would it look really ridiculous on an almost 51 year old?

Since you've asked...I think it looks ridiculous at any age. I've always felt this way about unnatural/strange hair coloring unless it's for something like Halloween or the circus.

Go for it!!! I recently dyed my hair blue and I love it. I need it touched up a bit and I know eventually it will fade. I'm trying to decide what I will do next. I am younger than you though. I do remember my grandmother dying her hair bright red after my grandfather left. It was awesome. I would say you have to have the personality for it though. I could care less what people think of me or my hair. My sister, on the other hand, would never be caught dead with blue hair, but she likes it on me. :)

I'm sorry, I'll be the lone voice of dissent. I think this look is for the under-35 set. :001_rolleyes: If you want to have a dramatic streak, I'd go for something more subtle...and under-layer or streak of burgundy or even plum maybe? Or if you have light hair, a lighter red streak or under-layer.

You're not the "lone voice" any more. :D

I'll agree with you, MissKNG, Laurie, Gardenmom5, and anyone else who thinks it's a silly idea.

I'll be 50 this year, so we're almost the same age, and when I see anyone near our age doing something very trendy like that, I can't help but think she's trying a little too hard to recapture her lost youth.

I'm not trying to be mean, and of course you should do whatever makes you happy, but that's the impression I get when I see stuff like that, unless it's the day after Halloween and I figure it was part of a costume and then the poor woman couldn't get the color to wash back out.

I think it's great to be fashionable throughout your life, but I do think that at a certain point, it's probably better to err on the side of sophisticated (and sophisticated can still be fun and s*xy) than it is to suddenly start to channel your inner 1980's Cyndi Lauper.

I'll be 50 this year, so we're almost the same age, and when I see anyone near our age doing something very trendy like that, I can't help but think she's trying a little too hard to recapture her lost youth.

This. My dh and I both try to be just a *little* trendy. Well, my dh doesn't, but I make him: If you love me, you'll wear flat-front trousers. :) But if we ever suspect we're getting too close to the line, we check with our 19yo university student to make sure. She tells us like it is. :)

when I see anyone near our age doing something very trendy like that, I can't help but think she's trying a little too hard to recapture her lost youth.

sort of like a 50 year old man who ditches the suits for something more "youthful" and runs out and buys a red sports car?

I get stopped by a lot of people both young and older that love my hair( I have dreadlocks and colors). Most of them say they wish they had the guts to try something similar. Why would you let what others think of you stop you from trying something new?

I don't want to look back years from now and wished I had tried it, I want to smile at all the good times I've had!

Honest opinion here. Do you have the personality to pull it off? Sometimes, it looks odd and attention seeking. If people will see it and say "it's so you" then go for it.

I get stopped by a lot of people both young and older that love my hair( I have dreadlocks and colors). Most of them say they wish they had the guts to try something similar. ...

The bolded above leads me to believe that you're one of the people Moxie mentions that can pull it off. You rock the bold, unconventional look. I'm just not sure most of us middle-aged moms can pull it off. B)

I don't know. If you want to, why not? It washes out in a couple of weeks, assuming you use semi (which all the weird colors are).

I wouldn't do it, and I'm in your age bracket. On second thought, maybe I SHOULD do it....then my daughter won't want to do it any more. Hmmmm.

I did it. I had the tips of my hair colored blue for a few months. It was fun and I got a lot of compliments on it. It was hard to maintain though because it fades quickly. I don't think there's anything wrong with trying it. (I'm 48 BTW).

sort of like a 50 year old man who ditches the suits for something more "youthful" and runs out and buys a red sports car?

I don't think they do that to be youthful. It just might take awhile to afford it. My DH has always liked sports cars and would have bought a Maserati at 20 if we were loaded. We'd have to be billionaires to consider it now because he's more practical with money now.

My MIL on the other hand recently bought a red mustang, but thinks pink hair is ridiculous on anyone.

I'm 36 and haven't had normal colored hair in quite some time. It's neon red right now. Pink before.

DD14 has a purple streak underneath and it is adorable! I casually threw out that I might want one and she really gave me a look. I kind of agree it is best for the under 35 set.

I do like funky though, so I have some great chunky highlights with blond and a dark copper brown that I always get compliments on, especially from 20yos, which I count extra special!

The idea to try it out is a good one. Here is my daughter who temporarily dyed her hair for a church activity. It washes right out the next time you shower.

HOW TO:

1. Wet the hair where you want the color.

2. Using CHALK pastels from your local art store, draw right on to the wet hair.

3. Let dry.

DSC_0013.JPG