Menu

Easter Baskets....question....

ProudGrandma

My kids are grown but the youngest two still live at home. Once they got older than about 11, I started asking what kind of candy they want and put it in their basket- no unwrapping or arranging or fancy grass or anything. It's got the elements of the familiar Easter basket that they remember from their childhood but it's much easier for me. Our tradition was to hide the basket- that stopped about the same time.

I have a 12, 11 and 8 year old. Last year my 12 (then 11) was on the fence about the egg hunt ( I put coins in the eggs...and one of their eggs have a clue to their basket)....although this is still probably really fun for my 8 year old...but he won't want to do it alone...so what can I do that would be more age appropriate for the older 2 but would still be just as much fun for my youngest??

I've done a little bit of everything. From traditional to interest-based baskets. Last year I gave the DS4 a little bunny puppet and the DS10 took up with it, the DS4 didn't care anything for it. This year the DS4 was snuggling a bunny in the store a few days ago because he has watched his brother do it for a year. I purchased plenty of bunnies this year. ;)

I make one for DH and one for DD. DH gets dark chocolate and a small gift. DD gets something under $15 (a cd, tshirt, nail polishes...) and a chocolate bunny (or whatever I find)--I use the same basket and grass for each one each year, change the bow. I get to clean up the mess each year.

No one told me we could stop. :svengo:

Because you CAN'T!

:D

My mom still makes one for me and for DH if we are at her house. Even if we aren't, she sends stuff to put in them. I still leave baskets out for DH and me too, and the Easter Bunny still fills them. What's really awesome and mysterious is that we always get our very favorites and none of the stuff we don't care for! How does that bunny know?!?

My kids still get them. Last year, I switched to using Easter-themed gift bags, and no grass. I used to put in all sorts of things, including some candy -- but now, it's gift cards and candy. They have Kindles. They don't watch dvd's. And frankly, young kids inspire my imagination and teenagers don't.

I never plan to stop.

That was a nice thought I had, but the truth is, this family now has 4 children, 4 inlaws and 7 grandkids with 2 more grands on the way. I was more than happy to hide baskets for 6 foot 5 inch tall son as long as he was willing to go look for them. When he got married..well, :seeya:

My kids still get them. Last year, I switched to using Easter-themed gift bags, and no grass. I used to put in all sorts of things, including some candy -- but now, it's gift cards and candy. They have Kindles. They don't watch dvd's. And frankly, young kids inspire my imagination and teenagers don't.

Nice! I have never used an actual basket for the kids. I like to make the basket part of the gift. I have used a sand and water table, Tonka trucks, sand pails, garden planters/bags, wheelbarrows (I get themey sometimes, and Easter is in the spring, after all), sewing baskets, Citiblocs (DH and I wove these into individual baskets; underestimating the time this would take = most exhausted Easter ever!), bicycle baskets, and a basketball hoop (get it!? :D this one was fun). Because I was already planning to get them some soccer goals this year, their baskets are going to be inverted soccer cones. Just have to figure out how to keep them balanced...maybe I will just tilt them like a cornucopia. :lol:

It is getting more challenging as they age, but I have to keep my brain sharp somehow...

I'm so fed up with sugar around here, I'm tempted to stop, and my kids are 6.

However, more likely I'll focus on eggs and let them choose one or two chocolate bunnies or the like. Sugar-free hard candies will fill in for jelly beans etc. (I already abandoned the Easter Bunny myth, which should make things easy.)

My mom kept giving us Easter baskets as long as we lived at home, if I remember correctly. However, after a certain age, the older kids actually did up the baskets.

You can do whatever you wish to do for as many years as you want. We do a main gift, such as books or a small Lego set. But every year, there are Cadbury cream eggs (original kind), Russell Stover chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies, and a hollow bunny.

When my youngest was 11, and the other two were 13 and 17, I stopped doing baskets. Instead, I give them a Grand Bunny which is a 12-inch hollow bunny. When I did do baskets, I only put candy in them. I have a difficult time coming up with Christmas stocking stuffers. There was no way I could take that stress on for another holiday.

If I have the money, everyone gets a basket (even guests). The contents just get more adult and "groupish". Silly string to have silly string fights in the yard.

Small water guns, men get the cheap wooden airplanes and the toy soldiers that have parachutes.

The candy gets better.

My SIL was the BEST at finding great stuff for Easter baskets, cool folding scissors, juggling balls, pocket knives.........

We do "Easter Chairs" and put the messy plastic grass in the chair with the presents on top. We usually get a few pool toys (noodles, goggles, water guns, etc), some candy, a DVD or 2, small item of clothing maybe (socks or a cute t-shirt). It's getting harder as they get older to keep the cost reasonable, and they're starting to use the pool less and less, so this year I'll do a few Starbuck's gift cards.

When my youngest was 11, and the other two were 13 and 17, I stopped doing baskets. Instead, I give them a Grand Bunny which is a 12-inch hollow bunny. When I did do baskets, I only put candy in them. I have a difficult time coming up with Christmas stocking stuffers. There was no way I could take that stress on for another holiday.

I was just thinking the same thing- I just got through the Christmas season- the search for perfect stocking stuffers is tough enough without having to repeat that torture just a few months later.

I hate shopping.

I don't use individual baskets anymore. I have a large fruit platter on my kitchen island that I fill with grass and treats. Gifts for each child are marked with their name and placed there as well. I also have a small (2.5-3 ft.) Christmas tree that I decorate for each holiday.

I was thinking about surprising DH with an Easter basket this year. I'm going to crochet it for him myself and then add socks, a card game, and a book. Possibly some sort of strange candy too. He'll be so surprised.

He's a few years past 18 so I don't think one can ever be too old to be treated special on a holiday.

We still haven't stopped :) It's fun.... However, they don't get little kids stuff. Lately, no basket really, either. We still hide eggs as well, lol. This year, I'm rolling up beach towels with a gap in the middle and tying them like that in place of a basket. We live near the beach and have a pool, so I add things like sunblock and goggles with some chocolate and candy. When they were younger, Easter was the time they would get pool noodles, pool toys, beach toys, etc., to replace anything that had been lost or destroyed the year before. BTW - we aren't Christian anymore, so we're going with a more pagan, fun only celebration.... although the real reason for the bunnies and eggs make my kids squirm, lol.

I'd say my kids stopped being interested around 11-12. I still make sure there is some celebratory candy, but its been a while since I've needed to buy the variety of specific candies, the chocolate bunny, the veggie tales video, and the bubbles or whatever. I don't think they've touched the last few chocolate bunnies. Their tastes have changed and they prefer better chocolate and are more interested in the dinner than they are in the basket. My kids are 12 1/2 and 16.

My mom started an "Easter Purse" for the older girls when we were about 11. It was either a purse, bag, tote, etc, that we could use for the summer. I was home for Easter all four years of college, and I often had friends with me. The purse stopped at some point, and I wasn't eating sugar, so candy fizzled out somewhere, too. I know one year she bought flip-flops and a shirt for my friend and me :-)

Maybe I can convince her that I need an Easter diaper bag this year...

I'm 32 and I still get one from my mom! :lol:

Me too, and she makes one for my Dh and DS too.

We do a small inexpensive basket for DS, this year it will have Nerf Bullets, some Bandanas, and an egg with a little bit of money in it. My mom will give him candy so we don't!

My mom is thoughtful and awesome and loves to give presents, so we get small things for Valentines day, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. (She also still buys me clothes, I don't ask for it, but boy is it nice since I am too cheap to spend on myself very often!!)

My mom usually gives Dh his favorite Reese's candy in whatever holiday shape is current, and then tosses in a small gift card to somewhere like Home Depot, She knows not to give me candy, so I get holiday dish towels and/or a little something for the kitchen. Sometimes she will do a gift card for us to go to dinner and movie, or cold hard cash for DH and I to use as we see fit.

She gives DS a small amount of candy so I don't gripe at her for too much sugar, some money in an egg, and then a little lego packet, or something. This year they are giving him a nightvision nerf ball of some sort, Dh is getting the other set of glasses LOL.

Since the boys don't tend to eat much of their candy, last year I just made a communal basket that was on the kitchen table. I also fill a candy dish or two with M&Ms, so they get goodies. Still hiding a basket for dd since she's only 12.