Menu

Book-a-week members: Do you really read a whole novel every week?

Annabel Lee

With all I have to read for homeschooling, I rarely find time to whittle away at even the most enjoyable or interesting books for myself. How do you do it? Do you read very fast? Do book-a-week members read the whole book, or just part, to count on your lists?

I've always wanted to join, but it seems I can't even get through things I want to read in a month, no less a week.

Yes and no. I do read pretty fast. If it is a simple work of fiction then I can breeze through it in 2 or 3 days. If it is tougher it might take the whole week. If it is non-fiction it might take more than a week. I always read the whole book or I don't count it. But I may read 3 books in one week then take two weeks to read another book.

I read very quickly. I also read in the evenings and/or right before bed. I don't watch tv. I have self-sufficient children!

Some weeks I'll just read one book (last week), other I'll read 4-5. It just depends my schedule----if I'm researching for school, then I read less for me and more for her :)

I read very quickly and usually get through 2-4 books a week. I read in the afternoon when we're done with school (while Han Solo naps) and in the evenings. I can read and watch TV at the same time, which makes James Bond crazy. I've yet to figure out why and he can't articulate why either, it just does. I also read before bed. Most books I read are about 300+ pages.

This is a good opportunity to say that the Book a Week group encourages reading and turning members on to authors or books they like. The number is not really the issue but the general concept of the goal is to encourage reading over say watching television.

Some members of the group include their read out loud (not picture books) or pre-reads (young adult novels). Others include books on education in general, home education in particular, or learning disabilities--books related to their "job" as homeschoolers.

It is not a competition so don't let the numbers bother you. Some people have more time on their hands, some people read while cooking or listen to books while exercising. I listened to two audio books over the past three weeks because I needed to knit a pair of socks for a gift. This along with BBC Radio 4 dramas helped me meet my deadline. I'll pull back from audio books now and watch some Teaching Company lectures which won't make the list.

Happy reading!

P.S. Some of the posters to the group are working on classics that are challenging to read in a week. If you have been meaning to read Aristotle or Augustine, you might be able to find a reading buddy in the group who will join you in the challenge. It might take two months to accomplish, but we will cheer you on and allow you to be smug!

I did the challenge in 2011 - it took a concerted effort to get that much reading time in. I often figured out exactly how much I needed to read in a day, and simply made sure I read it. Getting my reading done before allowing myself any time on the Internet helped. I watched very little TV that year. And I finished my daily reading before I went to bed, even if I was so tired I was seeing double!

In answer to your questions - yes, I absolutely read every book in full. Although I did listen to some audiobooks - my personal rule was only to listen to classics. I often had more than one book on the go - typically a 'fun' novel, such as a crime novel, something more challenging such as non-fiction or a serious novel, and an audio book. I needed to do that as I started late in the year, but audio classics and non-fiction also generally took more than one week.

It can be done, and the sense of achievement is wonderful, but I found it difficult to sustain the level of effort and focus for more than that year. It was all consuming!

Yes, I do.

I read during waits: waiting for dinner to cook, in the bathroom, waiting for the kids to get up, at the front door, in the car. I read during non-table-gathering meals (breakfast, lunch usually). I read when I need to detach. As an introvert, reading is a healthy way for me to get some alone time. I read while dh is surfing on the computer at night (I try to do most of that during the day while working with my youngest son).

Certain times in your life you have the ability and interest. Sometimes you don't. Last year I read 60 books(?) or so. The year before that I was lucky if I could do 10. My life was not convenient for reading, and honestly I didn't want to...I was too tired. This year I'm reading a lot of short books. Everything is more of a struggle but I'm doing what I can.

If you can do a book a month...join and do a book a month! The thread is less about listing your accomplishments and more about book suggestions, chatting, and reviews.

Yes and no. I do read pretty fast. If it is a simple work of fiction then I can breeze through it in 2 or 3 days. If it is tougher it might take the whole week. If it is non-fiction it might take more than a week. I always read the whole book or I don't count it. But I may read 3 books in one week then take two weeks to read another book.

:iagree: This is me, although I usually only get up to 3 books in one week if I'm on vacation. I'd love to take advantage of audiobooks, but I have yet to be able to do that.

I found that I can read about a book/week if I read 30-45 minutes a day 4-5 days a day. I also count the meatier read alouds that I do with my kids. Until last year I only read about 10-12 book a year. The book a week challenge, and the addition of a kindle changed my reading life. I read over 60 books last year.

I read fast. Last year I read more than an average of 2 books a week. I also keep track of pages read and it was well over 25,000. This year I've been cross stitching more so I think I'm only up to 6 books so far or something like that this year.

Yes, I do.

I read during waits: waiting for dinner to cook, in the bathroom, waiting for the kids to get up, at the front door, in the car. I read during non-table-gathering meals (breakfast, lunch usually). I read when I need to detach. As an introvert, reading is a healthy way for me to get some alone time.

I agree with both of the above.

I do happen to be a person who reads quickly, and I love to read and do so often. I rarely leave the house without a book, and I spend a fair amount of time hanging around in the car waiting for one teen or the other to finish that day's class or rehearsal or performance, which gives me lots of time to read. I also listen to audiobooks (downloaded for free from our county library) while driving, while walking with the dog in the morning, while folding laundry, while cooking, etc.

It is not a competition so don't let the numbers bother you. Some people have more time on their hands, some people read while cooking or listen to books while exercising.

But this is the most important thing to remember.

I count what I complete. I do peruse through a LOT of books that I don't count for the 52/yr. I do read fast- mixed blessing. I don't watch T.V. and I do count read-alouds and I mostly write reviews about them all on my blog- it helps me really get a hold of what I've read and remember it! I like the challenge of trying to finish a certain # a year- it pushes me. I might have a short list going at the beginning of the year but it evolves based on my life, TWTM thread, the "new" rack at the library and the rabbit trails- 2 wks ago I read "So Good They Can't Ignore You" which was an intentional living tome- but because of something that piqued my interest in that book last week I read "Born Standing Up" - the autobio of Steve Martin.

The 52 thread, like Jane said, is a great way to broaden you reading repertoire and to find awesome books you might never have heard of - plus the lit chat is a lot of fun! Stop by and jump in!!

I'll be curious if I make the 52 mark this year- I'll be studying for a nat'l licensure exam soon and that should pretty much dominate my reading time.

Madeline L'Engle read 4-5 books a week and wrote every.day. (Her kids went to public school : )!

I'm new to the thread this year, and was really worried that I wouldn't make a book a week; however, now that I'm doing the challenge, I don't feel any pressure. I do count read-alouds and audio books, and most of the books I read are about 300-400 pages.

Last year I lurked all the time to pluck ideas for new books to read. This year I've read several of the books suggested by others and have been exposed to lots of new books/authors/topics that I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own. I like that the thread kind of makes me mindful of a goal to prioritize reading. Reading is something that I enjoy very much but can slip during busy times, and the "accountability" of the thread keeps reading on my radar.

I'm just trying to improve my reading efforts with this group. I try to read a book a week, but don't sweat it if I don't. I've been reading Herodotus for months now - I hate it - but the fact that I'm in the group and have a reading buddy keeps me pushing on.

I only count what I read in totality. If I skip parts or don't finish, I don't count it.

Join in! It's a great group of ladies!

Just wanted to add- you'll be exposed to the "unofficial WTM reading list"- some of these books I wouldn't have touched with a ten foot pole on my own. But I'm nosy enough to have to know what the buzz is about and- this year The Handmaid's Tale was one of those- it's dystopian and creepy but a fascinating read..I had just gotten in such a rut with who and what I read and this group has really expanded and pushed me to read farther, wider and deeper (cause there's some really smart people on that thread that will cause you to think - at least they do me!)

There are some books one could read in a brief few hours, and there are other books which require a sustained effort of thought while reading. My reading list includes both kinds of books plus multiple magazines. I gave up on trying to read 52 books a year. Some books just take more than a week to read, but I am reading more and listening to audio books less and watching fewer movies.

If joining inspires you to read more, by all means join and get reading.

This is a good opportunity to say that the Book a Week group encourages reading and turning members on to authors or books they like. The number is not really the issue but the general concept of the goal is to encourage reading over say watching television.

This is the most important part for certain. I am always finding some recommendation or another for a book I might not have considered otherwise.

As to numbers, I will be honest and say I was hesitant to join this year, and am often hesitant to post the books I have read, simply because of the numbers of pages I read (this is also the first year I have attempted to even keep track). I don't want to be discouraging to anyone, to a point that I often don't post everything I read in a given week but focus on what might be interesting to others who read similar genre. I also love reading lists of what others are reading. I've said this before, it isn't about the numbers, it's about the enjoyment you get out of reading.

I think reading and a love of reading is one of the most important things we can impart on our children. I struggled to read and comprehend as a young child. I had to take summer classes between third and fourth grade for reading comprehension. In fourth grade I had a teacher who literally changed my life. She read aloud to us each and every day, and the world opened to me. My mother was terminally ill and reading was one of the ways I coped with everything that I couldn't control around me. Over the next few years I went from a child who struggled to read, to an avid reader. The more I read, the faster I read. To this day I read. I rarely watch TV. I'm often curled up on the cough with my famiily, reading a book while they watch TV.

I read aloud to my children, and my children see me reading, each and every day. I now have children who are avid readers. I say avid even though some read fast, and some read slow, because they all have that enthusiasm for reading, and that's all they need.

I hope my ramblings make sense, and I hope you will join us.

Yes I read the whole book. I don't count books that are in progress. If I'm in a reading mood and I really enjoy the books I'm reading I can read several a week. I'm a fast reader and I have about 5 hours downtime in the evenings to do as I please.

I have multiple books on the go at once, and one may take me 3 days to read, and another 2 months. I also usually have an audio book in progress.

So no, I don't start a book on Sunday and finish it by midnight the following Saturday :) but I do complete a fair number of books. I only count books that I truly finish, too.

Sometimes I read a novel or three a week and sometimes I'm reading the same book week after week. It really depends on what I've got going on in life. I have a whole family of readers and we don't watch TV so I have time to read. I also have an easy to raise 8 year old. I usually end up with 100 books a year but I count things that some people don't. It's my own personal log of reading and I like being able to look back on the year. Some people don't but I count read alouds even in they are only 150 pages. I usually have a personal audiobook going and a family audiobook. I'm in two book clubs plus one with DD but I don't count her book club books. That'd be a stretch. I also read all the time. It's one of my favorite activities.

Some books take me several weeks to finish, some weeks I finish one or more books. It all depends on the book. I read a lot. If I have a few minutes while I wait for pasta water to boil, I read a chapter, when I wake up I read. I almost always read before bed. I don't watch a lot of tv, and while it seems like I'm active online, I don't spend as much time online as some of my friends and family. I have always had the "need to read", even as a child. I don't really come from a family of readers, so I think it's just part of who I am, not how I was raised.

I resisted the Book A Week thread for a few years because I didn't want to set a number goal. To me it's not about how many books I read but about what books I read. Even when I first joined last year, I stubbornly insisted that I wasn't committing to a number. To my surprise I actually read more than 52 books in 2012! I think the thread is about setting a reading goal and aiming to meet that goal.

ETA: I'm also a fast reader.

ETA again: I only have 1 child. When he was younger, I did read but not as much as I wanted to. He's now a teenager, which gives me much more time for myself, including reading time.

I read quickly, and the books I've chosen so far are not difficult reads. I don't have a lot of time to read and sometimes it just depends on the week. (The more I read, the more likely there will be dishes that need to be washed and laundry put away and music to practice...) It's like reading a Harry Potter book in a couple of days vs. Anna Karenina in a couple of months. I don't do audio books because I'm rarely in a place quiet enough to actually be able to focus on listening.

Once in a while if I'm working through a larger or more difficult book, I'll throw in a shorter/easier one to break things up, although I don't usually read more than one book at a time.

I am not on the book a week group but I do finish at least one book a week. I read fast. I read throughout the day and at night. I have a tiny house and don't clean much! My girls can play together a lot and don't have to school tons yet. I also go through days of reading obsessively and then days reading free. I read a easy teen book on Saturday "Feed" while driving home from vacation. I started "oryx and crake" yesterday and will finish it up today. I'll try to take a break for a bit before picking up my next book "lies my teacher told me" If I didn't spend so much time here I would probably finish a lot more!

I am one of the "slackers" in the group -- I don't have more than one book going at a time, and so far I think my count is only 7. If you've seen that thread, you know there are ladies there who've read 20+ books!! I only count books I've finished. I have a lot to time to read: 45-60 commute each way for work and time in the evening since I am a late to bed person. Some weeks though, what I am doing during that time is reviewing new school material, or other material related to home schooling.

I am truly hoping that I can read 52 books this year! What an accomplishment that would be. But if I don't, even the fact that I am making more of a concerted effort to read is better. And who knows, maybe I'll even finish Les Mis....(which I've been working on since, oh, maybe Sept???) rofl.

~coffee~

I want to echo what the other book-a-week regulars have said -- it is simply a place to share what we're reading. Some people simply post a list of what they are reading, others write small tidbits or add a photo of the book cover, and others link to reviews on their blogs. But we're sharing favorite classic authors and series of fluff, and getting a chance to meet one another over a virtual cup of tea and talk books. There is no reading police on the thread, judging what or how you read or how much you read! OR how often you post, but if you do start posting you'll find a group of very nice ladies, some of whom might share your taste in books and whose presence you look for every week.

I DO count books I don't finish because those books still stay with me -- I remember the plot and characters and I remember why I didn't like it and the reason I gave it up. I don't agree that not finishing a book negates it being meaningful, and worthy of listing. I do NOT count cook books and gardening books and how-to books. But that is just me -- again there are no rules and no one policing the rules!

My friend Kay, who isn't on these boards any more, started the 52 books club back in 2009 while I was still actively homeschooling high school students. The most curious thing about my experience with the "club" is that my reading decreased when I became an empty nester!! I was stunned last December that I only had managed 41 books when I had before easily managed 50+ books. The difference was that I wasn't driving kids around as much, not listening to books in the car and not reading while waiting for someone to finish class or work. I decided to make a concentrated effort to read more this year.

Yes, but a lot of my 'reading' is listening in the car. On average, I listen to one book about every ten days, and I read about 20 pages a night.

Laura

Audiobooks are my new friend. They keep my brain occupied while I'm cooking, cleaning, doing laundry. I've got a lot more housework done because of them. :)

:iagree: I am not a participant but so far this year I have racked up 25 books (I'm geeky enough to keep track). Most of my books are audiobooks that I listen to while walking, doing chores, etc.

I love the book a week because it causes me to make time to read...That said I try to keep a number of books going so that I read at least 1 chapter a day. I have a book upstairs (usually very fluffy) that I read at night before bed, a nonfiction downstairs, and then books on my kindle, phone and ipad. Some weeks I don't finish a book at all but then other weeks I finish 2 or 3. I also watch at least 2 hours of tv at night so its not like all I do is read. Thanks to the accountability of posting books I have read I will take the time out of my day to read. The first year I did it I did 52 books...last year I read 108...I am hoping this year to do as many or more. But I agree not so much the number as the prioritizing of reading in my life.

I only count it if I read the entire book. One of my best habits for getting in extra reading is to get to work an hour early every morning. I'm the first one in the building so I hole up with my book of choice and read uninterrupted for an hour.

How do you do it? Do you read very fast? Do book-a-week members read the whole book, or just part, to count on your lists?

I've always wanted to join, but it seems I can't even get through things I want to read in a month, no less a week.

I read whenever I can eke out the time. My dc are getting older, so I have more time in my day that way. Plus, when I'm shuttling them to activities, I read at stoplights. (I live in a busy suburban area so I spend a lot of time at stoplights. This way, I'm happy when I get the red light. :lol: No more trying to get through the yellow light.... See? Reading even leads to safer driving. ;) :rolleyes: ) I read when waiting on dd at the orthodontist. (The receptionist there always, always comments on the fact that dd & I are reading actual books. She says we're about the only people she ever sees doing that. Most watch tv &/or are playing on their iPhones. I guess some of those folks are probably reading books too, but I suppose it's hard to tell.) I read at home when I have 10, or 15, or 30 minutes to sit down w/ a cup of coffee. On weekends, dh & I will often head out to the coffee shop & sit & read for an hour or so.

I don't do audiobooks because I just don't have the listening ability. To listen, I would have to find a very quiet place, shut my eyes & concentrate 100%. Even then, I find my mind wandering & later realizing that I haven't actually heard any of the story. So, I stick w/ regular reading.

I don't consider myself a fast reader. Just average. Some books are easier to read than others, though, so some books are speedier than others. It just depends on the book. I read a variety of books (some easy, some harder).

I count only books I've finished. In a year, there are plenty of books that I start but don't finish; I keep track of them but I don't count them toward my final reading number. The numbers are not important to me; I like tracking the books because that way I can remember what I've read, pull up my lists when I want to recommend something (but am blanking on a title or an author's name), & so on. When my dc were little, I was lucky to complete a few books a year for myself. These days, I read many more. Sometimes I finish a book a week, sometimes more than one a week, and sometimes I don't finish any in a week. It doesn't matter to me; I read for my own enjoyment at this point. Plus, once you start finding time to fit in reading, it becomes more of a habit & will become easier & easier to find a few minutes here & there. (Imo.) I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever 'run away' to the bathroom, not because I needed the facilities, but because I wanted a few minutes of uninterrupted reading time. :blush:

I do the book a week thread because I love chatting about books -- hearing about new ones, telling about the ones I've read, etc.... It's a lovely haven for bibliophiles (whether you manage one book a year or a hundred). Jump in & join the conversation. We don't bite (though we may drool if you introduce us to something good to read)! :D

I'll hihack to make you feel better; we don't have a television and are home a whole lot of the time, but I will be lucky to get 52 this year. I like the group because it encourages reading. It is even better because when one fails at the proposed goal or even a self-inflicted one others are still encouraging. I may only read 20, 30, or 60 books this year, but that is 20, 30, or 60 books that I might not have read if the group didn't exsist.

The group gets one out of the duldrums of homeschool mom isolation.

I'm trying to do the 52 Books thing this year, but I haven't "joined the club." I generally have a fiction book and a non-fiction going at the same time so I do two books in two weeks (alternating my finish time, usually). If it looks like I'm not going to finish a book in the two weeks (for example, I'm on book four of the Game of Thrones series and it is VERY long and I'm not going to finish this week), I might pick up something I can read in a day (such as "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" by Lynn Truss) just so I can keep up with my self-imposed commitment.

I generally do, but also have multiple books going at a time, including audiobooks and read alouds. I have books I read in a couple hours and one I've been reading since August (a textbook) and I read a chapter now and again. Some weeks I feel like nothing captures my interest and I float from book to book, some weeks I'm captivated and read through a ton. M list is always longer than is reasonable :-)

I think reading and a love of reading is one of the most important things we can impart on our children. I struggled to read and comprehend as a young child. I had to take summer classes between third and fourth grade for reading comprehension. In fourth grade I had a teacher who literally changed my life. She read aloud to us each and every day, and the world opened to me. My mother was terminally ill and reading was one of the ways I coped with everything that I couldn't control around me. Over the next few years I went from a child who struggled to read, to an avid reader. The more I read, the faster I read. To this day I read. I rarely watch TV. I'm often curled up on the cough with my famiily, reading a book while they watch TV.

Thank for sharing. :001_wub:

Jane & everyone else who responded, your encouragement to participate & expansion on the group's purpose is so inviting that I'm going to go ahead & join. Excelsior, getting "out of the duldrums of homeschool mom isolation" sounds lovely. :)

:hurray:

I am a slow reader.

We don't have the gas money to drive back and forth to town (12 mile round trip), so I spend a lot of time in the car waiting on my teens. I used to spend that time planning school, grocery shopping, or window shopping. Now I read. That's at least 4 1/2 hours a week.

I confess that I will occasionally pick out a short classic to boost my numbers. I also try to alternate easy reads with more challenging books which I know will take longer for me to read.

The really BIG thing this past month is that I had surgery and my 17yo has done all of the cooking since then. That has freed up a lot of time. It allowed me to get ahead. :)

I average several thickish books a week BUT I read very fast and reading is sorta like an addiction for me. I am guilty of reading when I should be sleeping at times. Also, I have a number of hours a week where I am waiting in waiting rooms for my older son (homeschool classes, speech therapy, ABA etc).

With all I have to read for homeschooling, I rarely find time to whittle away at even the most enjoyable or interesting books for myself. How do you do it? Do you read very fast? Do book-a-week members read the whole book, or just part, to count on your lists?

I read pretty fast. I usually can get through 1-3 books over the weekend, depending on whatever else we are doing. I don't usually read during the week because I'm too busy with other things. The exception to this are all the books I read out loud to my son. I think I'll count some of them in the challenge, because some of them are pretty thick and I enjoy them just as much as he does!

As for making the time to read - we don't watch a lot of TV (we only get TV shows through the Internet instead of cable, via HULU, etc.) so that helps me fit reading in. I also might read in the car while waiting for an appointment or other snippets of time like that. You just have to fit it in whenever you can. As I said above, the weekend is usually my time to read (in the evenings) instead of watching TV.

I also get a lot of ARC's (advance review copies) that I feel obligated to push through quickly. I know I have to get around to reviewing them asap, so it's a big motivator to read a LOT more than I normally would make the time to do. There's nothing like knowing I have 24 reviews to write that keeps me from goofing around playing a computer game, watching a movie or something like that, lol. I've sort of built this into my life because 1) I LOVE reading and 2) I love the free books. ;-)

Another big factor in my reading level shooting up is getting a Kindle. I don't know why exactly, but I read a lot faster on it than when I read regular books. Perhaps because I can adjust the font to work perfectly for my eyes. I also don't get headaches using it. It's so portable I can take it anywhere and read a little here or there. I like using it to review books because I can easily highlight passages and make notes. Being able to read faster on it of course equals me getting through more books.

Anyway, I've posted in the book a week thread because I want to have an extra little motivation to help me get through my ARC copies. I also love seeing what everyone else is reading.

I think reading is a sort of habit you have to build. It seems like you don't have time for it, until you actually make yourself sit down and do it. I would have told you at the beginning of the year that I most certainly did NOT have time to read everything I have. I just "made" myself do it and got it done. ;-)