Menu

Band Shirts on Kids

WandaMarks

what do you guys think about kids wearing band shirts to school?

My daughter likes one direction so i got her a couple to wear....

then my son demanded some slayer shirts since it is his favorite band

there are a few differences in the shirts though

a one direction generally looks like some variation of this

7855.jpg

whereas a slayer shirt can be any sort of gore infused eye sore more like any of these

http://www.rockworldeast.com/store/Slayer/Band_T-Shirts

None of those are something i am ok with buying for my son. He doesnt get this reasoning... and is being very difficult about the whole situation saying there is favoritism etc.

where do you guys stands on band shirts in your kids wardrobes?

Check to see if the shirts are even allowed according to the school dress code. Then challenge your son to find or design one that isn't gross.

I have nothing against the concept of band shirts per se. (Taste is another issue.) Tee shirts or the like are not allowed at my kids' school, so we don't have this particular issue.

dont get me wrong, if my son liked those bands, id be totally ok with getting him a shirt or two since none of them have skeletons that have bleeding crowns of thorns on them or dead babies.

I would still forbid him to wear it if he bought it with his own money as I feel they are offensive and inappropriate for school, work, family outings, church, grocery shopping, etc.

Since my children are homeschooled, they may wear whatever they want to school.

LOL Yeah, pretty much the same here.

Now, if they did go to school? Then, I'd probably make some blanket rules like, "no skulls or pentagrams" or whatever it is that worries you about the shirts. There are plenty of Slayer t-shirts with an eagle or just the band name in red. You all may have to work a little hard to find shirts you can agree on. If you have a problem with the band itself, then I agree that you're showing favoritism toward your dd's preferences.

Here's one with an eagle:

Slayer Shirt

My music preference became the biggest point of rebellion for me during my teenage years, and really still is to this day (and I'm 43 now!). I think you should task him with finding Slayer shirts that aren't too over the top and let him wear them. It's really not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

ETA: How about this one? Slayer zombies. All the rage right now.

ETA: One more. This one is just the band name and an eagle and pentagram (which is mostly hidden, if you're concerned about that).

I didn't buy shirts with pictures on them for my dc. I think they're gauche. Call me old-fashioned. :p

I've said it often to my kids - you're not a billboard. (iow: no promotional space)

my boys liked attitude shirts when they were teens. (I did have rules about those.) I did have to explain what some of them meant. one time in the store, my son turned bright red, and put it back.

One of my favorite kids t's is a chopped up fish. inside, it's sushi.

I've said it often to my kids - you're not a billboard. (iow: no promotional space)

And there's that, too.

I have worn (and my dc wore) t-shirts that came from the Missionettes or Camp Fire summer camp...only for the event, and only during the summer, and never, ever to church. The only other billboard shirt I have is a Disneyland Christmas sweatshirt that I bought at Disneyland, and I only wear that at Christmas, preferably when I'm in Disneyland, and never, ever to church.

I am wearing a Girl in a Coma shirt right now.

Picture+972.jpg

Unless a shirt was lewd or violent, I would buy and let my sons wear it anywhere it was appropriate to dress casually. Here public school is pretty casual. That said, since we homeschool, they can wear whatever.

I am pretty biased against metal so I wouldn't be happy about a Slayer shirt. But if my son gets into 80s metal bands? So long as I don't have to wear it. I think shirts are not a battle I would choose to fight beyond clean and appropriate to the setting. Not to Grandpa's funeral...

Of course this is all hypothetical to me as the only music my older son likes thus far is They Might be Giants. Primarily "Here Comes Science". :p No one could call this shirt lewd or violent.

And there's that, too.

I have worn (and my dc wore) t-shirts that came from the Missionettes or Camp Fire summer camp...only for the event, and only during the summer, and never, ever to church. The only other billboard shirt I have is a Disneyland Christmas sweatshirt that I bought at Disneyland, and I only wear that at Christmas, preferably when I'm in Disneyland, and never, ever to church.

well - we have college emblem ts/sweathshirts, but those are schools our children actually attended/are attending. (and we've sent considerable monetary sums.) 1dd brought home a yoda wearing mickey mouse ears t-shirt. it was very cute. (and that was before disney "offiicially" bought lucasfilm.)

and never, ever to church. inconceivable. (a weekday/saturday activity where they're wearing t-shirts and jeans, fine.)

Oh wow- Slayer! I think I saw them live a few times a million years ago when I was in highschool!

Bloddy gore and occult symbols would not be OK in our house. But if I had a kid in public school the shirt would have to follow the dress code at school. Wearing it around the house? not in my house- I have a child who is very disturbed by upsetting images. Hanging out with friends? Probably.

Diamond likes Sugar Skulls. She has one similar to this that she has worn to our co-op. http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/Apparel/TShirts/Graphic//Sugar+Skull+Black+T-Shirt-901860.jsp So we're OK with skulls as long as they aren't gruesome.

For the record, I don't have a problem with skulls. But, the gory nature of *some* of those shirts would be over the line for me. The OP could come up with some basic rules (no blood, no Nazi imagery, whatever the problem is for *her*) and avoid the "no Slayer shirts" discussion. I am sure the kid can find band shirts he likes within her parameters.

My kids love printed shirts. I am not sure how it necessarily equates with being a "billboard?" Unless you think ALL printed shirts are advertisements of some kind (not my experience). I think it is strange when people assign value judgments to such petty issues. They are a very simple, mild form of self expression to me.

My kids love printed shirts. I am not sure how it necessarily equates with being a "billboard?" Unless you think ALL printed shirts are advertisements of some kind (not my experience). I think it is strange when people assign value judgments to such petty issues. They are a very simple, mild form of self expression to me.

I agree. I chose not to put advertisements or printed clothing on my small children, because I didn't believe in using children to advance my political preferences or whatever. Babies aren't billboards. But teens dressing themselves? Not the same thing at all.

I agree. I chose not to put advertisements or printed clothing on my small children, because I didn't believe in using children to advance my political preferences or whatever. Babies aren't billboards. But teens dressing themselves? Not the same thing at all.

And political preferences, etc, that is understandable. One of my teens is wearing this shirt today and the other is wearing this shirt. That is different than displaying some sort of political message on a toddler, I agree. :)

ITA. Both my teens love graphic tees. Here's my dd's current favorite: 1355344765_bot-trib.jpg

I guess Gene Roddenberry's estate might benefit from her purchase, but I don't really have a problem with that.

My rules of shirts are nothing vulgar, covers your belly, not see thru or skin tight. Beyond that they can wear what they want. So dd13 wears band shirts, shirts that say things like stay calm and dance etc. The boys like to wear the comical shirts that say things like "Keep the dream alive, go back to sleep". Or I wasn't sleeping I was thinking really really hard. Both have a couple plain coloured ones to wear under their combats at cadets and for ds14 to wear under his work uniform, and the youth group prefers they don't wear band shirts or cartoon themed shirts etc to youth group functions, so they don't. But for day to day wear, who cares, they are just t-shirts and another way kids can feel safe to express themselves.

LOL. Love the Tribbles. I love t-shirts with funky sayings, especially some of the science ones. I have a Soft Kitty... long sleeve t-shirt and really want one from The Hunger Games. Dh was a t-shirt merchandising manager for rock bands in the 70's and still has a bunch of his old t-shirts. My oldest used to wear them to school and always said her teachers would get a real kick out of them. AC/DC, Genesis, and Jethro Tull were the most common.

As for the Slayer shirts - I would set guidelines for what could be on it but wouldn't disallow the band if I allowed other bands. There are always shirts available that are just the band name.

And political preferences, etc, that is understandable. One of my teens is wearing this shirt today and the other is wearing this shirt. That is different than displaying some sort of political message on a toddler, I agree. :)

I have that techicolor t-rex shirt. We love threadless. My older son is wearing one where a "stega SOAR ous" has plates made of kites floating away.

ITA. Both my teens love graphic tees. Here's my dd's current favorite: 1355344765_bot-trib.jpg

I guess Gene Roddenberry's estate might benefit from her purchase, but I don't really have a problem with that.

I L.O.V.E. love TeeFury! I have 8 or 10 of their shirts. They've got some really clever stuff.

We don't do skulls in our home and they're getting very prevalent in even little kids clothes. Blech.

Okay, I'm officially old--I haven't recognized a SINGLE name of a band that you all have mentioned!

We'll stick with a lot of Army and Navy t-shirts.

Most of my wardrobe consists of swim team shirts. I got really excited the other day because I got a new shirt- Marine JROTC! :D

Does he have a 2nd favorite band? ;) None of those would be okay in my house...and I think I'm pretty lenient (as far as HS moms go anyway). DD wore a shirt with a skeleton on it to co-op this afternoon. It was from a gymnastics meet last October (no blood or guts).

I remember my mom disliking many of my shirts. I'm sure I was just as upset and outraged at the unfairness of it all. :rolleyes:

I had this really cute onesie that said BORN TO READ...heh.

My baby had a Dio shirt. It was adorable. He also had a Slayer shirt. But I like band shirts. My DS2 pronounced DS3's name as Gwar. So, I wanted a Gwar shirt for him but couldn't find a baby one. I dont care what people wear. I dont want to control things like that, or other things like hair, piercing, ect.

We have a 'no skull' policy on clothing here. I think it may be easier to say what you don't want to see on a shirt vs. what is ok for band shirt. Skulls are pretty popular so it isn't easy to enforce but it hasn't been that difficult either.

For me in regards to words or images on shirt.... a shirt is not something that the wearer sees. It is something that others see. Since I don't want to see these images or to force others to see them, I don't want my kids wearing them.

I grew up listening to Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Judas Priest etc, so I don't have a problem with the music in general, but I still don't want to see gore all day long, every time I look at my child.

DD can wear whatever she likes around the house and probably about 95% of the places we go. Thankfully, she knows that some of her shirts won't cut it when we go to her grandparents, but I don't have to prompt that.

A Memaw funny: DD wants a piercing somewhere on her face (something other than her ear), and I'd just rather her wait another year or so. I'm thinking a small nose stud, but she's using all these piercing words that I'm just not up on and I sort of block her out when she starts talking about all these things and corset piercings and snakebites and blah blah blah. I stupidly initiated a conversation with my Memaw telling her to tell DD that she will not get a piercing on her face, and she was properly and satisfyingly horrified. She told DD that she should get her navel pierced instead. I learned my lesson.

I'm not one to dress my small children in advertising, either. They've all had graphic tees, they just said things or have a generic image on them, though, not the latest movie or toy characters. (Ok, we have a couple vintage Star Wars t-shirts)

That said, if my children want to wear fan shirts, meh. As long as they're not trying to wear something that is vulgar (e.g. "Juicy" typed across Inez's posterior) or hateful (Nazi symbology), they may wear whatever they like.

Eta: I don't know who Inez is, but iPad apparently does not like the vague "one's" that I typed, and I would change it, but I'm rather tickled by the thing's preferences. So just read that as "one's", ok?

I had this really cute onesie that said BORN TO READ...heh.

Speaking of onesies, I'm not a sentimental person, but my absolute must-keep baby item was a set of Halo onesies DH's best friend made for my oldest. One of them had Master Chief on the front and said "Spartan in Training", and another had DH's emblem that he always used in the game. We got a few weird looks, but those little outfits were so loved and are getting ready to go through their third kid.

I'll also be buying this new baby a "Stormageddon - Dark Lord of All" onesie (Doctor Who reference, if you aren't a fan).

Thanks for all of your opinions, I am glad I am not alone in my opinions.

I think I can handle this shirt

http://www.rockworldeast.com/store/Bands,Slayer/Slayer_T-Shirt_Live_Undead

as someone above suggested. I had not taken a good look at it when I looked through the bunch

it is the most acceptable of all that I have seen.

I agree with not wanting kids to be used as advetisments, but he does really love Slayer, listens to them all of the time and is trying to learn some of the guitar work which is actually pretty intricate if you can discern it from the extremely harsh vocals.

I will let you know the result of this discussion with him.

thanks again for all of your opinions

One of my daughters had a Beatles shirt, and I had no problem with that! I didn't know what a Slayers shirt was until I clicked on your link. :) But no, my kids would not wear one of those while living under our roof. I like to put peaceful images into their brains as much as possible.