Menu

Recommend some dystopian stuff for me to read!

PeacefulChaos

So I think I like dystopian stuff. I've not read much, but the whole idea intrigues me. I don't care if it's YA (I'll devour it lol) or whatever... just looking for some fun stuff to read.

Also, I need to get into reading the classics. I didn't read them in high school like some did, and I would like to read them, but... I started reading from the list in TWEM and started with Quixote... I was bored nearly to tears. I now have that one on audiobook but still have no idea when I'll ever listen to it.

So what's an good book to 'ease' into the classics??

I just read an interesting dystopian novel called Birthmarked by Caragh Obrien. First book in three part series.

Also check out The Giver by lois lowry, Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, 1984 by George Orwell

Classics - Emma by Jane Austen, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

Oryx and Crake (Madaddam 1), Margaret Atwood

The Year of the Flood (Madaddam 2), Margaret Atwood

* Madaddam 3 is supposed to be published this year*

Life As We Knew It (The Last Survivors 1), Susan Pfeffer

The Dead and the Gone (The Last Survivors 2), Susan Pfeffer

This World We Live In (The Last Survivors 3), Susan Pfeffer

The Hunger Games Trilogy

Agenda 21, Harriet Parke

* Yes, I know the book says it is by Glen Beck but it is written by Harriet Parke. Beck writes an afterword that is easily ignored if you choose to do so. To be honest Atwood's Handmaid's Tale is a better read with beautiful depth while Agenda 21 is very shallow. That being said there is a nice story line and it is an easy read. In the beginning I felt some political opinions were too in your face and added to push an agenda not further the story but as I kept reading it either got better or I found it easier to overlook because I was engrossed in the characters and their story. *

I think these are considered classics and dystopian lit:

1984, George Orwell

A Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

Childhood's End, Arthur C. Clarke

I just read an interesting dystopian novel called Birthmarked by Caragh Obrien. First book in three part series.

I :001_wub: Birthmarked but *HATED* the second book in the series because it's basically the author's rant against chastity and in favor of abortion-on-demand. :thumbdown:

Didn't bother with the third book after that.

The Maze Runner series was good, and I also really liked The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld and the first two books in the Enclave series by Ann Aguirre.

I'm in the middle of The Maze Runner and agree with others' recommendations on it. It grabs you from the first line.

I've enjoyed the first few books from Uglies series; haven't finished them all yet though.

The Supernaturalist by Eoin Colfer is good too.

I just finished Divergent and Insurgent and am looking forward to the 3rd book in the series.

Dd is recommending:

Harmony

Battle Royale

Parable of the Sower or anything else by Octavia Butler

Shades Children

I don't know if The Passage would be considered dystopian or not, but it's a great book. I'm getting near the end and don't want it to end. It's the kind of book that just sucked me in and keeps me going exactly like Stephen King novels do. I'd like to stay up all night reading it, but know I can't.

The giver is a four part series. The first one is good but the third and fourth get a bit weird for my taste.

The Giver and Gathering Blue are parallel books that don't seem to connect when you are reading them.

Messenger is the sequel to both.

Son connects the previous three.

The Giver is a good stand alone.

Fahrenheit 451 - Bradbury sets the standard for this type of book. This was written in 1953, and he almost seems prescient when he's talking about the technology they use and how it separates people.

a Canticle for Liebowitz -- this is a great book to follow Farhenheit -

The Giver - this one is YA, but a wonderfully written story.

Cloud Atlas - A strange and interesting book. Don't let anyone tell you what it's about because their view will color the book for you.

World War Z (the only zombie book I have ever recommended)

My favorite one that I read last year was, The Wind up Girl,by Paolo Bacigalupi. It's a bit rough at times, but I loved it. It was a treasure I found at the used book store. One of my top for all of last year. He has book coming out this year and I will have it on my Kindle the day of release.

It's an enviromental dystopia, and it's so well written as well as hard to put down.

Never Let Me Go is the only thing I thought of that I haven't seen mentioned.

I've read a lot of the YA dystopian stuff. A lot of it is really, really bad. Wither, for example, ugh. Very, very bad. And Matched? The first book was so-so, but the second was completely nonsensical. I would say that Hunger Games, The Giver, and the Uglies books are all very good. I haven't read anything else worth recommending.

A few more I thought about last night- The Disposessed by Ursula LeGuin, and the Shadow Children series by Margaret Haddix.

I have seen LeGuin books on the YA shelves, but that isn't where I would put them. They are very good dystopian scifi though. The Disposessed is one of my favorites. Margaret Haddix' work is all YA.

A fun middle-grade book in this genre is The City of Ember. I didn't like any of the sequels, though, and the movie was terrible.

The second was a tremendous disappointment (we didn't bother with any after that). DD the Elder was so mad she asked that it be removed from the house immediately.

Wool

Dd was rolling her eyes last night when I discovered that Third Shift - Pact was published last week and, heaven forbid, I didn't know it.

I love this series. I don't even like dystopian lit, and I love this series. I just started reading it because the Omnibus Edition was free on the Kindle last year -- now I'm totally hooked, stalking Hugh Howey's website, planning to purchase the hardback when it comes out, fantasizing about a movie.

A few I haven't seen listed.

Ship Breaker (I haven't yet read the sequel)

the Uglies series

Feed by M.T. Anderson

Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler

I saw Parable of the Sower and Talents listed in a previous thread like this and went and read them and they are REALLY good.

I also recommend Shadow Children series by Margaret Haddix. Though those books are easier reads.

A few I haven't seen listed.

Ship Breaker (I haven't yet read the sequel)

the Uglies series

Feed by M.T. Anderson

Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler

Feed is great, as well as the two others in the series - Deadline and Blackout.

Also liked Never Let Me Go that someone else mentioned.