Menu

How much curriculum do you use from SWB?

Mom28kds

What do you use that is recommended? I'm reading her book and it makes so much sense to me. I just started FLL and curious if people use all her stuff or think only a few things seem to be valuable. For instance, do you use FLL and WWE? Do you also use SOTW or do you think other History is more beneficial. Do you think all her things work together the best? Thanks :)

What grades are your kids?

We have used FLL 1 & 2 and I plan to use those with my youngers coming up. We moved to R&S for 3rd. I like that it is pretty gentle and I follow the script loosely. We also use WWE although we tweak it and have taken breaks, I like the idea of it a lot. I am just not sure it is working out for my son in reality. I plan to use it for my younger children, as I do find it to be a nice program. We also use and LOVE SOTW. We haven't used any of their Bible curricula or the upper levels of some of these things. I intend of using all of the SOTW for the grammar stage. Although, I am still a little uncertain about the Ancients, might do the new Veritas Ancients book, we shall see. Overall, very satisfied with the value and the coverage.

I do think the programs work well together.

We used SOTW 1 & 2 and now we're using SOTW 3, but as one resource among others, not as our main spine. That's it. Remember that this board is really diverse in terms of styles. Some people are WTM-devotees, some people are WTM-ish, and some people are doing something else entirely.

We have used/are using WWE 1-3 and SOTW (just volume 1 so far). I tried FLL1 but didn't like it much. WWE has been an excellent resource, and we are starting SOTW over from the beginning this year and it seems to be going well.

By age, Ariel would be a 3rd grader, but she does mostly 4th grade work.

I am more a spirit of WTMist. ;) The ideas really resonate with me, but I have slightly different priorities. My math and spelling choices are not WTM, but I feel they don't not align either...I use SOTW but am detouring next year, we use WWE (switching to the text from the workbook), FLL, and I think ES is WTM science laid out for me. All in all I think we use WTM guidelines as a foundation but we are not afraid to veer from that course when it bests fits our dc's needs. However, I have found that even our veering doesnt usually disagree with WTM (as of yet!) ;)

We use OPGTR and I have SOTW and the AG to use when we start world history.

But, I am starting with US History, not doing a strict 4 year cycle, not following the science guidelines, don't do narrations or dictation (although I do plan to start), am more science/math intensive than history/literature.

I check out the WTM recommendations first. If they are a good fit we go with it. If not we move to something else. The theory is more what I like than the exact curriculum recommendations. I'd say 50-75% of our curriculum was recommended in either this edition or the last edition of WTM.

I trust SWB with LA and History. I've heard her speak a number of times, she was homeschooled, is homeschooling and most importantly in my mind, is simultaneously a college professor at a competitive college, so she knows what the end goal is. We use WWE and with my 3rd I'm using FLL. We are using WWS..bits and pieces last year with my oldest. Full out from day one with my 2nd now. I like other things but I trust where SWB is heading.

We also used SOTW 1-3. I bought 4 but switched to Sonlight for Modern history this year bc I have a 2nd grader, and SWB herself says 4 isn't really appropriate for that age.

I have 1st edition TWTM. I'm starting to use it more and more lately. It's pre PHP textbooks, so my one and only SWB book is 1st edition TWTM.

I've been reading some vintage textbooks and I'm understanding better what I'm supposed to be doing with TWTM. The CM instructions that everyone else likes so much do NOT work at ALL for me. The focus and priorities are not right for me, or I'm just not understanding; I'm not sure which. Just today I FINALLY read some narration instructions that were a lightbulb moment for me. It was the same way for copywork and dictation in the past. I needed some non CM instructions before I could embrace them.

I'm falling more and more in love with my 1st edition TWTM, but as for the rest of the PHP books, I'm still passing for now.

I love WTM '99 edition. I really learned alot about strategies for evaluating curriculum from that edition. I keep it close at hand for a good refresher every now and then. As for PHP products, I've tried several of them and the presentation of the material just don't fit me or my kids. Doesn't stop me from achieving a WTM education, though.:)

WWE, FLL, SOTW.

OPTGR here and there but not our main reading program.

After reading WTM I decided to look into their products and so far they work for our family.

We also use Telling God's Story, isn't SWB but is published by PHP.

I plan to get the History of the World books before our next cycle through history so that I can educate myself a bit more. I'd love to read Well-Educated Mind, wish our library had it.

I want to start off by saying that I think SWB is an incredibly gifted writer. I have been impressed with everything we have ever purchased from her, even if we haven't stuck with it.

We are currently using SOTW, OPGTR, and then her suggestion of Saxon math. (Did she recommend Rod & Staff? We use that.) And of course my copy of WTM is very used. :)

I also own/have owned WWE and FLL 1/2. While I was impressed by both of them, we aren't currently using either.

We use SOTW as part of WP's Quest for the Ancient World, and WWE with younger children. DS has done Essentials for going on two years, but we are ditching that and using WWS1 (already started because he was so excited-familiar format!) As a pp mentioned, I trust where she's going. I also enjoy the tone of her materials. It's like she's speaking to you. I also enjoy being spoon fed, to a certain degree. WWS deals with things IEW doesn't seem to focus on, such as voice and mood.We are finishing the semester of Essentials, because I paid for it, but the requirement to use all dressups from the checklist is removed (by myself). I'd like to burn that checklist.

I have used FLL 1/2 with 2 children and the next in line will be starting with it in the fall. I've used FLL3 for one child so far.

Two children have used WWE2 and WWE3.

We use Sonlight for our History spine, so everyone will be using SOTW when we get to Cores G and H.

We use SOTW and plan to start FLL1/2 and WWE 1 in a couple of months (with my oldest, a 1st-grader). I decided to try WWE after reading more of her philosophy from the samples for the TM for WWE, instead of ABeka's language. I really like her writing in SOTW. I'm also reading her History of the Ancient World for my own education.

We just used SOTW, from about age 5 to 12. It was a very fulfilling experience, combined with Usborne Internet Linked Encyclopedia of World History and other books (spreadsheets in the sidebar of my blog, in siggy). She hadn't published so much when we started home educating, and later on we used more Galore Park materials.

Laura

I check out the WTM recommendations first. If they are a good fit we go with it. If not we move to something else.

So far we've done some SOTW 1, and I just started reading through my WWE 1 to preview for next year. I like what I see. I like how all the PHP materials are very consistent in style and are very logical in progression from one topic to the next. They seem to mesh well together and really, they couldn't be simpler, from a teaching point of view.

We also do TGS from PHP and really like it, but religious curricula have to be uniquely suited to one's individual family needs and goals so I would guess it's not for everyone, since it's quite different from the other lower-grade religious texts I've looked at from other publishers.

Love, love, love WWS. WWE was great too. We use and enjoy SOTW, as well as the WTM book lists for history & literature.

Hated FLL.

Other things recommended in WTM that we like: LOF, Mind Benders

Things recommended in WTM we have tried and didn't like: Building Thinking Skills, Spelling Workout, Writing Strands

Like a pp, it's my go-to place for history/lit recs, not for science.

I just started using the WTM last year. It's growing on me although there is still some elements that are not a good fit for my family. We really really like WWE and I think I have come to consider them essential to our homeschooling. (Which btw I hated until I read and started using the Bravewriter materials. Julie is like SWB's more free-spirited twin sister.) I also plan on trying FLL next year with my 1st grader. I've also been using OPGTR, and I feel lukewarm about it. I feel the same about SOTW. I really like them, but I do get a tad annoyed with how they seem all over the place. I don't particularly feel the writing style is very engaging to younger kids. They seem like something one would have a middle schooler read on their own. The coloring sheets seem babyish in relation to the writing style of the text. The recommended books in the AG are all over the spectrum as far as grade level and age interest. I can't even begin to understand how one would use it as is for 1st grade. Although I think the activities are spot on and fun. I've decided to go with easing into History Odyssey and using SOTW more as reference and following the chronological history in my own way, with different materials, using them as a guide. I would personally rather go through the periods of history at a faster clip, covering more ground each year, and spiraling back. So SOTW and WTM history recs are becoming more of a guide than a rule for us. Especially after the drag history has been around here trying to stay with the chronological plan.

I also do not follow the reading recommendations. I have no interest in tailoring our read alouds to stay with the chronological history. I don't understand teaching Dante's Inferno in 1st grade, and I have no interest in watered down abridged for children books in order to attempt to do it. IMHO there are other more important books 1st graders ought to know.

I do however like the science rotation idea. It's a good plan. I don't use anything WTM recommends for science (except some RS4K and the Mudpie book for pre-K-Kinder). I also don't understand the science recs at time. Some of the things she suggests for a certain age turn out to be for a much younger crowd when i get them in my hand and look at them. Everybody Has A Body for 1st grade? Yeah I'll be using that with my 3 year old. Creepy Crawlies for 5th? Yeah I'll be using that with my 1st grader. I've found quite a few recs like that.

I don't use anything for grammar, spelling or math in the early grades that WTM recommends. This is our first year using Saxon. And I do a lot more stuff with preK and kinder kids than WTM recommends. It's still an interesting book. It would be interesting to try to follow it exactly. But I'm not really interested in trying.

I have her Well Educated Mind book and I really like it and think it would be a great resource for high school students.

The Peace Hill Press items have worked well for us. I used them all slightly differently depending on the child or what else was going on at the time. OPGTR worked well for all. WWE has been useful for reading comprehension and narration, and it fits our schedule because we can stretch it out or double up as needed. FLL has been more of a struggle to keep going. I use it almost more as a reference book now, and it is useful for introducing grammar but now with 3 kids doing school we skip FLL narrations and rely on WWE. If I were only going to keep one thing though, it would be SOTW. We got the audio book version and listen to it all the time in the car. Everyone is retaining a lot and making connections to other things when Caesar or Carthage or Mesopotamia comes up.

I don't use any of the books, WWE, SOTW, FLL. I tried FLL and it wasn't working for us. My husband is hesitent about SOTW because of inaccuracies, however, I know there are likely no History books out there that are completely accurate, so I re-considered it, until I realized how my son loves to CM method. I know SOTW has great stories, and usually very engaging for children, but he really likes the D'Aulaire books, so we're going to stick with that. The FLL was too scripted for me, however, it was a great program, just not my style unfortunately. We are using Rod & Staff though, so something like WWE isn't needed because there is plenty of writing with Rod & Staff.

I have many friends who rave about SWB books, and I have nothing bad to say about them, other than they simply didn't work for us!

I don't think that you need to use all of SWB's stuff together. They are not written so as be dependent on each other.

I think you would be hard-pressed to find anything better than SOTW. We do use it along with TOG, though, because SOTW is not quite enough for my history-loving dd7.

I completely agree with the WWE philosopy, and we are in our second year now. I don't use FLL, but not because I don't like it. It is more because I need to minimize what my distractible dc has to do, and grammar is just not a priority for us in these early years.

I do not agree with the reading/spelling recommendations. I feel that they are fine for kids that are intuitive about language arts, but I prefer explicit phonics program that give a better foundation.

I don't remember what the math recommendations are in WTM, but they would not work for my dd that struggles with worksheets and writing. There is RS, but she doesn't need all the expensive manipulatives, either. We may end up with Singapore for my younger ds.

As for science, I completely disagree with the WTM recommendation of the four-year cycle. I feel that all science is related to each other, and I want to teach it that way. BFSU is perfect for that. (Plus, with dh being a physics teacher, waiting until 4th grade to study physics just was not going to fly around here.)

We use WWE (levels 2 and 4 this year, level 3 plus WWS1 next year), and we have used SOTW at different times. This year, we're using SOTW1 for ancients and really liking it a lot (along with a lot of the supplemental books listed in the Activity Guide). We like the maps in the AG. The four-year cycle sounds great in theory but hasn't quite worked out that way for my family, and I'm okay with that.

We've used FLL1-4, WWE 1-4, and SOTW 1-4. We currently use WWS 1. We've loved all of it, although I am glad to be changing history programs next year. As much as I have loved SOTW, and there is definitely nothing better out there for grammar stage, I discovered I prefer to teach/learn history chronologically by region/culture, as opposed to skipping back and forth between regions chronologically.

I use anything I can get my hot little hands on.

We use SOTW and the AG for history 1-4

FLL 1-4

WWE 1-4

WWS 1-2 (so far)

I am wishing for a rhetoric stage writing program but I don't think I am going to get it for my eldest child.

Mostly I use her methods from TWTM. My kids really thrive with that. If we are having difficulties in a subject the first thing I look at is method. If I am straying too far from their stage (grammar and logic) or the method then that is usually the problem.

I own TWTM editions 1 & 3 and I use both.

We used:

OPGTR - but not how the book presents the lessons. Using tips from the Hive, I combined white board, letter tiles, phonics readers, and lots of practice to teach reading. Reading sentences directly from the book caused dd serious fits.

WWE - I'm a huge fan of SWB's writing philosophy and own all of her lectures on writing. I've used both the instructor's guide and the workbooks. The IG is great if you want to use your own reading materials and just need a guideline for teaching. The workbooks are good if you want reading materials and narration questions already provided.

WWS - I haven't used this with my children yet, but after reviewing the program, I was very impressed with it and plan on using it with my eldest next year.

FLL - I like the program's philosophy, but I don't use it as our primary grammar program. I use the definitions and memorized word lists a lot as a supplement to GWG.

SOTW - I love these books and the activity guides. My kids have a great sense of geography from using the AG's maps, and they discuss the stories all the time. I am using SOTW4 with a first grader and thus far, haven't run into problems with content. DD6 does get a little cross-eyed with the level of detail, but remembers things like the last emperor of China visiting the Forbidden Palace. I probably use half the AG literature recommendations for ds10 and use Amazon/book lists to find additional supplemental reading. My dd6 is still on early/beginning readers so I don't use it for her free-reading.

I don't use the WTM science or math recommendations. We do use the 4-year science rotation as a guideline, but my kids definitely respond better to interest-led science activities.

I have read wtm multiple times, I've used all of her curriculum except fll, and now I don't use any of it. I still recommend it to new homeschoolers and think it is valuable curriculum. However, I've found my happy place with my own combo of charlotte mason/ambleside online, memoria press, and latin centered curriculum.