Menu

For SpyCar, thinking of you and your dad

Miss Peregrine

I'm so glad to see you back. I had been wondering about posting a 'Where is Bill' on the cuisenaire rods thread. I checked back, and there you were. I missed all the family posts -- how wonderful that things are looking better!

Didn't you used to have c rods in your siggy? I miss them!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad to see you back. I had been wondering about posting a 'Where is Bill' on the cuisenaire rods thread. I checked back, and there you were. I missed all the family posts -- how wonderful that things are looking better!

Didn't you used to have c rods in your siggy? I miss them!

Should I put the C Rods back?

Bill ( who is very touched at the moment by the warm welcome back)

Should I put the C Rods back?

Bill ( who is very touched at the moment by the warm welcome back)

Yes, absolutely. Very elegant. Nicely cryptic.

Oh, and thank you for the 10,000 times you mentioned Miquon! I am now using it for remediation for an older dc, as we are in recovery from five years of Everyday Math. Miquon is helping a lot.

Good to see you here, Bill. I was a long time lurker before finally joining a few months ago. I always appreciated your math posts during my time of lurkdom and had been wondering where you were.

Did you see your big, gold "popular" star on page one? ;)

Good to see you here, Bill. I was a long time lurker before finally joining a few months ago.

Same for me. The SpyCar Fan Club extends far and wide!

All best wishes to you and your dad as you navigate these rough waters. It sounds like both of you are keeping a strong, positive frame of mind.

Bill, I missed the original thread(s), but I was glad to read your update. It's great that your dad is getting to see your nephew play. And to see the interest he is getting from those schools must make him feel all warm and tingly.

Sending best wishes and warm thoughts!!

P.S. Yes, put the C Rods back. I never used to know what they were until they were explained one day long, long ago, but liked looking at them. Pretty, they are. ;)

Yes, absolutely. Very elegant. Nicely cryptic.

Searching for old sig. Switched computers and fear I did not back up that file. Oh dear! :D

Oh, and thank you for the 10,000 times you mentioned Miquon! I am now using it for remediation for an older dc, as we are in recovery from five years of Everyday Math. Miquon is helping a lot.

And here I was just starting to re-think my tendency to beat subjects to death :p

Glad Miquon is working for you! The topical notes in the Lab Annotations book are fantastic, BTW.

Bill

Bill, I missed the original thread(s), but I was glad to read your update. It's great that your dad is getting to see your nephew play. And to see the interest he is getting from those schools must make him feel all warm and tingly.

Sending best wishes and warm thoughts!!

P.S. Yes, put the C Rods back. I never used to know what they were until they were explained one day long, long ago, but liked looking at them. Pretty, they are. ;)

Oh yea, my Dad is thrilled on all fronts. The other thing is the hometown crowd loves having Dad at the game. He has been such a fixture in the past that he is almost like a team mascot, and he gets mobbed after the game by well wishers. So that is fun too.

The team got the most challenging draw possible for tomorrow night, so they will need to bring their A-game.

Bill

I was re-reading some of the notes yesterday and thinking that I should photograph some of my favorite quotes and post here....

When I started reading Art of Problem Solvings Prealgebra book I was struck how fondly it reminded me of Lore Rasmussen's notes in Lab Annotations. Great resource for teaching and understanding elementary mathematics IMO.

I'd love to see your quotes.

Bill

When I started reading Art of Problem Solvings Prealgebra book I was struck how fondly it reminded me of Lore Rasmussen's notes in Lab Annotations. Great resource for teaching and understanding elementary mathematics IMO.

I'd love to see your quotes.

Bill

I hadn't thought of that -- we used the AoPS way before Miquon. But Miquon reminds me of Liping Ma.

OK, I better get busy with the quotes....

• 1 month later...

Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

~Dylan Thomas

Haven't lost him, but things are much more dire. Had to share some bad news with him today, he recited Dylan Thomas.

I'm struggling a little.

Bill

Here if you need to vent. Sorry you are going through this. Losing a parent is so hard! Sounds like you have an incredible relationship. You will cherish that always. Hugs! And wide shoulders should you need one.

~~faithe

Over the last couple days my father has developed what the doctors are calling a "Kennedy Terminal Ulcer."

Terminal Ulcer. How's that sound? Evidently a subset of "bedsore," but worse. Because the "ulcer" isn't what is terminal (not that it is in any way positive) it is that the body, to defend vital organs—which does not include skin—sends blood and other resources to the vital organs, and the skin suffers "ulcers."

I'm trying to read up on these, but seeing (time and again) that they are strongly associated with "dying" is sapping my spirit.

I very rarely feel depressed. Today is an exception.

Bill