Menu

For SpyCar, thinking of you and your dad

Miss Peregrine

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to again thank everyone for their words of support. I crashed hard last night, and the feeling of pure exhaustion is lifting. Today I will be taking a break from other matters to join in a Parents vs Students kickball game at school (I take "no prisoners" :D), to be followed by an international lunch potluck (where we bring dishes that reflect our cultural hetitage). I'm making my Grandmother's German Potato Salad.

I did want to share this link to my father's obituary that is in today's Los Angeles Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-william-cartwright-20130606,0,5746619.story

Bill

I would like to again thank everyone for their words of support. I crashed hard last night, and the feeling of pure exhaustion is lifting. Today I will be taking a break from other matters to join in a Parents vs Students kickball game at school (I take "no prisoners" :D), to be followed by an international lunch potluck (where we bring dishes that reflect our cultural hetitage). I'm making my Grandmother's German Potato Salad.

I did want to share this link to my father's obituary that is in today's Los Angeles Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-william-cartwright-20130606,0,5746619.story

Bill

It seems he had a well-lived and well-loved. May you find some peace spending time with your son.

It seems he had a well-lived and well-loved. May you find some peace spending time with your son.

Not that I was unaware before, but times like these remind me to hold loved ones near. I am so proud of my little (although at almost-9 he seems almost like a teenager) boy, and take joy in his being named William III for his Grandad.

My father was an absolutely extraordinary person. I never knew anyone like him. His intellectual passion, depth of knowledge, and intense energy to study the subjects that captivated him far beyond what most people would consider "obscure" was simply amazing.

It was always interesting being along with him when he'd meet with people with high expertise in their feilds; professors, museum curators, gallery owners, rare book dealers, photography collectory, antique merchants, historians, special-collections librarians, and other people with passions for their feilds.

You could watch the jaws drop (of those who did not know him previously) as my Dad would excitedly fill people in on the importance of the materials they had on their possession. These people loved my Dad, and naturally he made friendships with scholars and people in the Arts far and wide.

His eyes were pale blue, and sharp like hawk's. Dad and the famous baseball player, Ted Williams, were said to "tied" for the best vision amoung Marine Aviators during WWII. But the remarkable thing was how his eyes were lit with fire. It was like the crackling energy of his incessantly furtive mind projected beams of energy though his sparkling clear eyes. Anyone in his presence was certainly aware he was there.

Bill

What a legacy, and what a wonderful article. Your dad touched many lives.

I have requested a copy of The Wonderful Towers of Watts from the library, and look forward to sharing it with my dd8. My father was also a WWII vet; many nights, when I was 12-15, we both had insomnia. Our favorite way to pass the wee hours was to watch WWII films.

Thanks for sharing.

Gone, gone, gone beyond , gone beyond beyond. Hail the goer, beyond even conceiving of a place beyond which you can go beyond. Ram Dass

Sending you peace, love and light. Bill, your father was an extraordinary man. I can only imagine how deeply he will be missed. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Elizabeth