Menu

s/o texting: How much do you hate talking on the phone?

nmoira

How much do you hate talking on the phone?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you hate talking on the phone?

• I'd rather do almost anything else.
    • I don't *hate* it, but I prefer not to.
    • I have no strong feelings either way.
    • Hate? Nope, I like talking on the phone.
    • Love, love, love it. Stereotypical 80's high school girls have nothing on me.
    • Obligatory Other (please explain).
  2. 2. How often do you talk on the phone?

• Don't like it. Don't talk often.
    • Don't like it. Do talk often
    • Indifferent. Don't talk often.
    • Indifferent. Do talk often.
    • Like it. Don't talk often.
    • Like it. Do talk often.
    • Obligatory other (please explain).
  3. 3. And lastly, smartphones...

• I talk less on the phone than before getting a smartphone.
    • I talk about the same amount of time as before.
    • I talk more on the phone than before.
    • I don't have a smartphone.

It depends on who I'm talking to. Some people I can talk to for an hour or more and be fine. In general I feel uncomfortable on the phone. I ldon't like making business calls and defer most of those to dh, who keeps his phone attached in his hand most of the time. I don't mind texting. Dh and I hardly talk on the phone anymore, we text each other through the day.

Hate it. Hate it, hate it, hate it (so why did I take that summer job as a telemarketer during college? We'll let the psychologists among us figure that one out).

Like Elegantlion, I don't even enjoy phone calls with the spouse. He goes on week-long work trips, and we communicate entirely through text and email. Part of that is time zone and cost issues, as he travels out of the country a lot, but much of it is that I am just terrible on the phone.

Always have hated talking on the phone. My mum is the only one I talk to, otherwise it is usually an appointment reminder call or something and they can leave a message.

BTW I hate Skype too. It feels so forced and awkward to me, but DH likes to see us if he us gone for an extended period.

Mostly I don't mind talking on the phone if I have someone to talk to. One friend is an emailer, one a texterr and one a phone talker so I do all three on a regular basis.

But I have my moments when I don't want ant social contact at all. At that point I hate the phone. I can ignore email.

So mostly I done hate the phone, but I'm not in love with it either.

In indifferent about how often I talk. I can go days with out a call either way, then days when I can't get off the thing.

Having a smart phone didn't change my habits except I now text C once a week or so unless we are making plans.

I hate talking to telemarketers. I like talking to my friends and family. I'm not sure what "often" means. I make business calls, which I don't really like but am not too uptight about, in clusters but probably about 3 or 4 a week. I call friends or family a couple of times a week. And they call me a couple of times a week. Some calls are short. Some are long. My friends and family know that if they talk to me when I'm cooking that I can talk long because it keeps me entertained while cooking. RC talks to me when I'm in pain and distracts me.

I have always hated the phone but I put up with it for dh when he's out of town (and when we were long-distance dating) and a few select friends and my grandmother.

I don't have a smartphone but I tend to text quite a bit with people now who I might otherwise have much less of a relationship with. But we're actually downgrading from two "dumb" phones to one cell and a landline in a couple weeks. I'll only be able to text on my iPod while near wifi. Should be interesting, but I'm looking forward to being a bit less available all the time.

I have no idea why I hate talking on the phone, but it seems to be getting worse as I get older. I would MUCH prefer to text or FB message (or email). I don't know why I feel this way, but I do. The only time I answer the phone is if I know who it is, and sometimes even then if I don't feel like being chatty I'll let it go to voicemail.

The funny thing is that face-to-face, I'm quite talkative!

I like talking on the phone - well, better than writing.

I wasn't sure how to answer the "often" question. Sometimes I go days without talking, but sometimes my mother or a friend calls. Those two can talk forever! But often I actually get more done if I'm on the phone - I get bored sitting there talking and start getting up and doing things - bluetooth is my friend. That is a good thing about my new smartphone. I don't tend to make many outgoing calls - so many people hate it, and I feel like I'm bothering them.

I do wish friends who have moved away would like talking on the phone more. I dislike writing newsy updates (I tend to overthink and it takes me forever until I just give up), and I don't have FB - but even if I did, status updates and photos don't make a connection like actually talking to someone.

I do hate making calls to people I don't know well.

I voted other. I love talking to my mom and sister on the phone. We talk daily since we don't live close to each other. I just got off the phone with my brother, and it was lovely to hear from him. I talk to other family and various friends once every week or so. BUT I hate talking on the phone for any other reason. I don't like calling a company or individual I don't know. We need an electrician? Dh better call. I want to buy something off Craigslist? I hand Dh the phone. I have a problem with a product I bought online? I beg Dh to take care of it. I don't even like calling most of my friends. Outside the two or three friends I talk on the phone with, I have to have a really important reason to call them. Even with the friends I sometimes chat with, they usually do the calling.

Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Dh and I were in a long distance relationship while we were engaged and talked on the phone a handful of times only. We emailed every single day though. (And we do fine talking in person. :))

The only person I talk to just to talk is my Mom.

I like talking to my relatives because they understand that there is supposed to be a sharing of conversation and we each take turns talking. I don't like talking on the phone if someone just wants me to entertain them or something, I just don't want to talk on command.

I also don't want to talk on the phone if someone wants to get into an argument on the phone and I happen to be the token *insert whatever here* in their phonebook. I don't mind a little preaching to the choir to one another but I do start finding debates over the phone really obnoxious.

I ALSO do not want to talk on the phone if people just want to gossip, I find that really tiresome.

In general I do not like to talk on the phone but if it is one of my siblings or someone who knows me well and pretty much gets those things about me then I do like to talk on the phone.

I love talking to certain people on the phone. I talk to my best friend and my brother pretty much every day. I have several other friends I love talking to. I'd rather text some people (like my mom) and email anything to do with business type things.

I'm one of the "other" votes in the first part of the poll. I don't like talking on the phone and usually don't initiate it, but if it's somebody I know then I'll suck it up and do it. Calling somebody I don't know, OTOH, even if it's just to schedule an appointment is one of my worst nightmares. Online scheduling for appointments and ordering pizza is my friend, I absolutely loathe calling someone I don't know and will do whatever it takes to avoid it.

I hate talking on the phone. I'd rather chew my arm off than make phone calls. When I agree to be on a committee at church it's always with the caveat "I don't make phone calls." So, for the second question, I rarely am on the phone. And I do not have a smart phone. I have a basic cell phone with a cheapo-deepo plan. And I use it for emergencies on the road or for texting.

I dislike it...I like to be able to see a person's face. I've gotten used to talking to my mom over the phone. Totally fine with dh. My sisters are hit and miss depending on our moods and what we're up to...sometimes we hit a stride and yab, other times it feels stilted and awkward.

With other friends, I do well if the person is in a cheerful mood and is chatty. I tend to overthink, and as I said...I like to see their face to gauge reactions and all that. I very rarely talk to anyone on the phone if it's not family or business. Friends can wait until we get together. :)

I voted other. I love talking to my mom and sister on the phone. We talk daily since we don't live close to each other. I just got off the phone with my brother, and it was lovely to hear from him. I talk to other family and various friends once every week or so. BUT I hate talking on the phone for any other reason. I don't like calling a company or individual I don't know. We need an electrician? Dh better call. I want to buy something off Craigslist? I hand Dh the phone. I have a problem with a product I bought online? I beg Dh to take care of it. I don't even like calling most of my friends. Outside the two or three friends I talk on the phone with, I have to have a really important reason to call them. Even with the friends I sometimes chat with, they usually do the calling.

This is me, exactly. My mom and my best friend, I could talk to every day for hours on the phone. (My best friend and I live hundreds of miles apart, and we DO talk almost every day!!) Occasionally, I enjoy talking to other friends and family members. If it's business, or a telemarketer, or anything else, I'd really rather do it through e-mail.

Can I ask what difference having a smartphone would have to someone's answers? I don't have one so perhaps that is why I don't know why it would matter.

:)

Texting is easier on a smartphone, and you have email, chat, social network access, social network access, etc. My monthly usage minutes have deceased from about 300 to about 120, most of which is a friend who lives on the other side of the continent.

Because then you can just email (cue choirs of angels).

:)

Texting is easier on a smartphone, and you have email, chat, social network access, social network access, etc. My monthly usage minutes have deceased from about 300 to about than 120, most of which is a friend who lives on the other side of the continent.

Ah. I don't text! But I do e-mail a lot. Thank you.

Death to phone conversations! Up with texting!

Yes!!!!

I hate talking on the phone. With a deep and abiding passion. Except for one friend, when her and I get on the phone we talk for HOURS. But I only see her two or three times a year, and we are super close.

I also don't leave voicemail messages. Not happening. Ever.

Add me to the list of those who hate, hate, HATE talking on the phone. If it rings I have to give myself a mental pep talk before I can answer. Same thing if I need to make a call.

I don't have a smart phone and don't really want one. I do have a semi-literate phone with a keyboard, so texting is relatively easy.

First option on all questions.

Me too. My standard incoming weekly call log:

*3-4 dh calls since he generally calls on his way home from work

*1-2 business related calls, like orthodontist appt reminder

*0-1 Mom, MIL, or sister will call to chat

Outgoing weekly call log:

*1-2 business related calls, like making vet appt

*0-1 calls to my mom

My dh & I text a lot during the day. It is awesome. When he is available he can answer and when he isn't he doesn't. For me to call him = dire emergency or something urgent $$ wise.

I voted Other on the first one.

I love talking to select family members (mom and brother) and a handful of friends on the phone - I'm on the phone with family or friends about an hour everyday. Somedays longer when my brother calls me on his long commute home.

For anything else I hate talking on the phone. Calling businesses on the phone makes me shaky and having to be confrontational on the phone has me in tears.

i don't mind talking on the phone. really, the main people that call me are people that i love and am very close too (husband, mom, sisters, best friend, etc). otherwise, i usually just let it go to voicemail & call back if needed. if my husband is calling, he usually has something to tell or ask me. my sisters or mom could be calling for anything, but i love to hear from them (they live out of state). my two best friends also live out of state, so i love when we can catch up. the phone is a great way to connect with people far away.

now skype? that's a different story. ugh. i hate that!

I do detest many telemarketers.

I'm surprised so many people are including whether or not they like to talk to telemarketers. I thought it went without saying that they are awful. Is there some subset of humanity that likes those calls? :lol: And I do hate making calls to people I don't know well. But it's not the talking part, it's the making the call part, if that makes any sense.

I was thinking about do I like to use the phone to talk to people I have some kind of relationship with (family, good friends).

I also use call waiting as my butler. I don't answer the phone unless I feel like talking to that person. So, if the number is blocked or obviously not from anyone I know, not picked up. If I don't have time right then, I don't pick up. If it's MIL, I hand it to dh before answering. ;) I don't never pick up when she calls, sometimes I do chat with her, but I can only take so many interminable conversations about her cat or how her 20-years dead x-h and her much longer dead mother screwed up her life. :rolleyes: A good friend I haven't seen in a while and want to catch up with, family (well, my mom most of the time, unless she's got a bee in her bonnet) - yeah, I do really like talking to them.

If the phone rings when I'm busy, I'm irritated. If the phone rings when I'm sleeping in, I'm enraged.

My MIL wants to do all ineractions via phone. She called two days ago and I still haven't called her back. I feel both guilt and annoyance about it both at the same time. I haven't had the 20 free minutes to make The Call in the past two days. There's only one tidbit of information to exchange, so why does it have to take 20 minutes!? Urgh.

I hate talking on the phone. Always have.

Me too. I hated it in high school. Do what you have to and get off the phone. I have a neighbor that is so self-absorbed and extremely scattered. I despise talking to this woman. It's a half and hour of her going on and on. So when she calls me, her "message" or "text message" is ..... "call me." OMGosh THAT enrages me. Give me a clue what it's about. Sheesh!

Haven't read the PP but I hate talking on the phone. I really do. I wonder what happened, didn't our mothers have the stereotype of talking on the phone all the time? Is this how our kids are going to feel about the internet someday (that they hate being on it?)

I am comforted by all the other people who dislike talking on the phone so much! When I was younger, I could talk to my best friend for an hour on the phone even after spending the whole day with her.

Now I probably dislike it more than cleaning my house! It requires way too much energy for me, and it's just difficult for me to get into a personal conversation if it's not face to face. So then it just ends up being chit chat about nothing important at all, which again takes way too much energy for me. I don't even like to talk to my family on the phone, although I don't mind Skyping.

Since my husband's stroke, I am very focused about how I spend my time. I only have energy for so much. I have told all of my friends that if they call me I won't answer my phone, that they need to text, email, or stop by in person. They have all respected that. :)

I'm a talker!!! Back when we had "long distance" I was a Sprint Gold customer. I understand texting and e-mails for information only communication, but to really communicate with a person I need to hear tone, laughter, anger, etc...I've witnessed and been a "victim" of misunderstood e-mails because of missing communication cues. It makes no sense to me why a person can't pick up a phone to have a discussion. I'm not talking during school hours, but I would assume most people have ten minutes out of 24 to return a phone call or say hello to a friend or family member. Then again, I live thousands of miles away from friends and family. The phone is my only interaction with these people for months/years at a time. My comments are not directed at anyone on the board.