Menu

Do you throw away holiday carp? (sweets!!!)

Janie Grace

This house is FULL of sugar-laden, white-flour-filled CARP... delicious, but carp, nonetheless. Some of it I made (our annual sugar cookies). Most of it others made and gave us. Some of it is candy that came in stockings, in gift bags from neighbors, as gifts from one kid to another. There is leftover Christmas dessert, there is leftover cookie dough (which I froze), there are leftover sticky buns from Christmas breakfast (okay, I think we just finished the last one of those today). But wow is there a lot of sugar in my house right now. We're all fighting viruses and I know sugar doesn't help that. Would it be really evil of me to pitch perfectly good baked treats... even if my mom or other loving people made them? Do you throw stuff out (not because it's stale but just because it's too much)? Do you ration candy?

I'll save something if it's especially good and I have a reasonable way to store it. But other than that, I toss stuff, especially at this time of year when there are too many treats around.

It's never a bad thing to throw away something that's not good for you.

It's never a bad thing to throw away something that's not good for you.

Haha, that sounds so obvious and rational. I guess I'm struggling because so much of it was gifts, or things that are "special for Christmas." It feels grinchy or something to toss it. I know, that's ridiculous, right?

Haha, that sounds so obvious and rational. I guess I'm struggling because so much of it was gifts, or things that are "special for Christmas." It feels grinchy or something to toss it. I know, that's ridiculous, right?

I know exactly how you feel. That's why I have to repeat that line to myself. Often. :)

I wanna know how you guys have leftover cookies. Seriously, every. flipping. year. I'm baking (this yr, Diva did) on Christmas Eve, so we have cookies for Christmas day.

HOW does anyone have leftovers?! I wanna know your secret! Mousetraps? Bug zappers hooked up to cookie tins? Share your secret!

I wanna know how you guys have leftover cookies. Seriously, every. flipping. year. I'm baking (this yr, Diva did) on Christmas Eve, so we have cookies for Christmas day.

HOW does anyone have leftovers?! I wanna know your secret! Mousetraps? Bug zappers hooked up to cookie tins? Share your secret!

I'm a stickler about treats. They have to ask, every single time. I can't help it... the thought of uncontrolled cookie-munching makes me break out in hives. (No not really, but mentally.) I think I need to lean more in the "live and let live" for a few days so my cookies actually get eaten.

I'm a stickler about treats. They have to ask, every single time. I can't help it... the thought of uncontrolled cookie-munching makes me break out in hives. (No not really, but mentally.) I think I need to lean more in the "live and let live" for a few days so my cookies actually get eaten.

My kids do ask. Wolf doesn't.

Umm, let's see....my kids made 14 dozen cookies with grandma and she sent them all back to our house with the kids. Also, dh is a public school teacher and his students gave him lots of candy, homemade goodies and other sweets as Christmas gifts. It was thoughtful, but our waist lines would have appreciated gift cards to the movies or Target or iTunes more than the sweets!

I do and without guilt. We all feel better (and the little ones act better!) when we are eating good foods. The one thing I can't bring myself to toss is the bag of white flour that we had from making Christmas Day rolls. I'm using it up however I can though, we had pancakes this morning for breakfast.

I take any leftovers, sweets or otherwise, to the firm. The shelf life of leftovers at the firm is only a couple hours, maybe less depending upon what time you announce there are leftovers in break room.

I can't read this without thinking of the Grisham novel... "The Firm likes children."

"The Firm likes Christmas cookies."

I do and without guilt. We all feel better (and the little ones act better!) when we are eating good foods. The one thing I can't bring myself to toss is the bag of white flour that we had from making Christmas Day rolls. I'm using it up however I can though, we had pancakes this morning for breakfast.

Okay. You all are giving me strength. I can (and will) do this. Tomorrow, there will be a major purge taking place. Date bars that no one likes, farewell! Stale-ish peanut butter blossoms, be gone!

I should really just throw it away; because I am so not able to keep my hands off it! Dh likes to save things, slowly make his way through a stash of cookies/candy. Me: if it's there I want to be eating it. Right now. :o So I'll ask Dh to keep things in his truck. (I know, this is so pathetic, but it works!) When he wants some he gets just enough for himself from his truck. Last night though we had people over, and he brought the whole tin of cookies in, and guess what I ate today?? Ugh. I really need some self-discipline with sugar.

If I threw it away, Dh would be pretty upset.

We avoid having most of the stuff in our house, which is made easier by two things: 1. we pretty much always have traveled for Christmas & we don't take food home afterward, and 2. my kids are young enough that if I tell them something is "old" they will believe me unquestioningly. We do keep a few things around for them- like smarties candies or nerds, or other things I can give them in very small portions and rarely.

The years when I've made sweets as gifts, I'm totally devious and put ingredients I won't eat- like nuts. That made it much easier to clear out the junk after the holidays.

May the force be with you, I clearly have very little willpower and need all sorts of gimmicks.

It's all about superior numbers. Christmas Eve alone doesn't cut it. You need at least 2-3 baking days leading up to Christmas.

Personally, I make my friends process a lot of our carbs. I invite folks to tea and serve it up, or take things to rehearsals to unload on my childless dance friends who don't bake like the families do.

If by 'throw away' you mean 'eat' then yes. :laugh:

This.

Honestly, I am amazed by how many of you throw out perfectly good (OK, "good" is subjective, but at least "edible") food! I can't imagine! It just never occurred to me to ever throw out food if it isn't stale or rotten. Seriously.

Adding in the fact that you are saying a lot of these treats were gifts, and knowing that the ingredients for cookies and the like are not cheap, I couldn't possibly toss it. Try to give some away, yes, but I could never throw it out.

Sure it's not healthy, but it's once a year, and I would see it as license to enjoy ourselves. We don't do Xmas, so no extra treats here; feel free to ship me some of yours ;)

No, I do not throw away any food. Otherwise, why make it in the first place? Having grown up with a mom who lived through famine as a child after the war, throwing away food was a mortal sin in our house.

We eat, give cookies as presents, feed to guests, take to playgroup, take to work and set on the counter as a free-for all (the grad students are happy for any sort of free food). It would not occur to me to prepare food only to throw it away because it is not "good for us".

No, we don't throw out the excess. The years that we have a TON of sweets left after a few days, I freeze them all. A week or two into January I start pulling them out one at a time, and we enjoy cookies until spring if we're sparing.

This year I made practically nothing. The only thing left is a small pile of sugar cookies and an edge of fudge.

Money is tight this time of year, and sometimes those Christmas treats are the only treats in the house until DH goes back to work in the spring.

I will say, though, that if we receive a gift and the treats are not tasty, then we will put them in the trash. But for the most part, the freezer becomes my friend.

The kids aren't all that careful about where they leave their wrapped Christmas stocking/gift candy setting about. It has been known to disappear.... A bit tossed here and there helps to get it all gone by the end of New Year's Day.

I knew we'd have people coming over and bringing baked goodies this year, so I did very little baking myself. Missed doing the favorite iced Christmas cookies, but I think I will start a new tradition and have them at Valentine's or Easter instead.

I'm with regentrude. Having lived through hungry times myself, I have a moral problem with throwing away food.

Our extras go to the places already mentioned plus we have also given platefuls to whoever is working the Christmas shift at the fire and police departments. I wrap and freeze the baked goods for later, if possible. Everything else, including leftover turkey, bread, and vegetables, is always appreciated at the homeless mission downtown.

I'm with regentrude. Having lived through hungry times myself, I have a moral problem with throwing away food.

Our extras go to the places already mentioned plus we have also given platefuls to whoever is working the Christmas shift at the fire and police departments. I wrap and freeze the baked goods for later, if possible. Everything else, including leftover turkey, bread, and vegetables, is always appreciated at the homeless mission downtown.

This is very kind of you, Tibbie. I would not toss out good food. It's mostly the unnecessary candy I hate to have lying around. One year when my big kids were quite little, we "fed the camels" on the eve of King's Day. I had them fill their shoes with all the extra candy and set them just outside the front door. They got little packages on King's Day, books and a game, the candy was all gone... win-win!

Guest inoubliable

All I have sitting around is a 4 lb bag of candy corn. Someone gave it to me for Christmas. I still have no idea what to do with it. The kids have eaten a few pieces. And thrown a few pieces at each other. :glare: I'm thinking I might just shove it in the freezer and let them munch off of it for the entirety of 2013. It'll keep the occasional ice cubes company.