Menu

S/O dogs in food places thread

Melissa in Australia

130 members have voted

1. 1. Should granddaughter bring her dog into the dinner party?

• yes, it is after all part of the family
    • yes, but only if she kept it in a back room
    • no, her mother should have insisted that she remove the dog
    • No blind 92 yr grandmother should have made a fuss and sent it out
    • no granddaughter should have some manners
    • look! another flying pig

Would it bother you if you had prepared a Christmas eve dinner party for the whole extended family , you were in your early 90's almost completely blind, and one of the granddaughters brought her very bouncy boxer dog and insisted it had to be right by the table, as it was her child, an inside dog and part of the family?

Grandaughter is in her mid 20's

poll to follow

Would it bother you if you had prepared a Christmas eve dinner party for the whole extended family , you were in your early 90's almost completely blind, and one of the granddaughters brought her very bouncy boxer dog and insisted it had to be right by the table, as it was her child, an inside dog and part of the family?

poll to follow

You left off "No! Grand-daughter is an obnoxious, over-indulged twit."

I'd have voted for that.

I'd have been keeping my children away from poor old grandma due to bounciness. In your situation, grandma should have sent it outside if it bothered her and her mother should have said something, though the situation shouldn't have arisen because granddaughter should have had the manners not to bring it to a frail woman's house.

Extremely rude of the granddaughter as well as selfish. You don't put a bouncy dog near a nearly blind 90 year old unless you're completely selfish. I love dogs but I will not force them on people if they could cause harm.

I'd hardly expect the grandmother to kick up a fuss but the mother should have told the daughter if she had to eat with her dog next to her she could do it some place else in order to spare the grandmother from possible injury. A broken hip could happen so easily from a bouncy dog.

poll to follow

I have a bouncy boxer that I love very much and I would never put the dog in a position to make my family unnecessarily uncomfortable. Rude!

Your post asked if "you" would be offended-I don't think I would. I love dogs, Consider them part of the family, and enjoy having them around. I also do extensive obedience instruction and they were not a problem around the house when people came. I did put them up when serving food due to 3 of the 4 being on perscription diets due to health issues.

Now if what you are really asking is was the Granddaughter rude? I don't know. Was the grandmother offended? Did the granddaughter ask first before bringing the dog? There is also a difference between a dog being bouncy and being ill-trained. My German Shorthaired Pointers and Dalmatian could bounce around like a Tigger, but did not jump up on people and stayed out of people's way when they were walking around. Being bouncy and ill-trained are two different things.

If the home owners had a problem with the dog there, they should have said something. If Granddaughter didn't ask before bringing a dog she was rude.

One should always ask permission before bringing a dog. Even with permission, one should always bring a crate and be quick to put the dog in the crate should it look like something might go wrong or someone at the gathering might have an issue with the dog. Anybody who is making excuses for the dog, has already missed the important signs that it's time to put the dog in the crate.

I took this to mean 1. the dog owner, under the "she's my baby" thing brought the dog without asking and assumed everyone would deal because it's what she wanted, 2. "bouncy" means the dog jumps and is not easily controlled nor is the owner inclined to do anything about the bouncing happening at the table, and 3. the grandmother is kinda frail in addition to being blind. If those are true, yeah it was pretty rude, not the worst thing ever, but still entitlement burns my biscuits and people who do not train their animals and then bring them around people are being disrespectful.

One should always ask permission before bringing a dog.

agreed

Even with permission, one should always bring a crate and be quick to put the dog in the crate should it look like something might go wrong or someone at the gathering might have an issue with the dog.

I don't know-if the dog has a reliable stay command you don't necessarily need a crate. Also if you have made prior arrangements to be able to put the dog in another room-that should be fine too. I usually took one with my dogs, but that was more to protect the dog from some unsupervised children than anything else. I am talking about generalities of course-don't know what the deal is with expectations with your extended family.

Anybody who is making excuses for the dog, has already missed the important signs that it's time to put the dog in the crate.

likely

Well the grandmother was troubled enough to tell me about it.

Did she tell the granddaughter? That would seem to be the person that needs to be talked to. She is also well within her rights to ask the girl not to bring said dog back.

apparently the dog was such a problem that granddaughter's boyfriend put it on a lead.

Hopefully that solved the problem. Yep the girl was rude. It sounds like to poor dog needs some training.

What on heaven's name is w/ppl and their sense of entitlement when it comes to their animals?!

I don't care how much you love your dog, IT IS NOT A CHILD, and therefore, not entitled to be included the way a child is!

I have a large, energetic puppy. I had ppl over. She was crated, allowed out, and when she started to get wound up, was taken outside, then crated again. Wash, rinse, repeat, until she chilled out and fell asleep.

No way in Hades would I bring her somewhere w/a frail, elderly, blind woman, let alone insist it attends the freaking meal!

Rude.

At Thanksgiving my SIL hosted it at the fire hall next to her house b/c her DH is a volunteer firefighter and the room was big enough to hold everyone. When we come up here (we are up here now) we bring our 4.5lb dog with us. On that day, we were going to be at the fire hall ALL day, so we brought the dog with us...BUT, he was only allowed to be out until the food was placed on the serving tables, and then he was put in his crate until EVERYONE was done eating and the food was put away. No one seemed to be bothered by him, and if they were they didn't say anything. Our dog is still a puppy, and has never been in his crate all day long before, so we were afraid he would have an accident if we left him at my MIL's house, which is the only reason why we brought him. He is also very quiet, never barks, and doesn't jump up or anything, so I don't think he is a bother. I hope we didn't offend or bother anyone b/c he was there. :001_unsure:

ETA...we did get permission from SIL first. ;)

People now think their dogs are people.

There was an article in the paper here awhile back that ticked me off to high heaven. It was about the clashes that resulted after the city experienced a baby boom. For many years, no one had children in the city (you moved to the suburbs for that) and now they do. Anyway, the opening anecdote was about a woman who had her dog unleashed in an open green space. A toddler ran past. The dog attacked because it had not been socialized to children properly. It resulted in a lawsuit, I believe. The number of people who thought THE CHILD SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEASHED was astounding. My own idiot brother said that to me. He's got a dog he thinks is his child too.

They seriously think the pet's rights are the same as a child's. So in the mind of dear granddaughter in the OP's story, she would probably read our comments and be affronted that people didn't afford her dog "its proper rights." So messed up.

People now think their dogs are people.

There was an article in the paper here awhile back that ticked me off to high heaven. It was about the clashes that resulted after the city experienced a baby boom. For many years, no one had children in the city (you moved to the suburbs for that) and now they do. Anyway, the opening anecdote was about a woman who had her dog unleashed in an open green space. A toddler ran past. The dog attacked because it had not been socialized to children properly. It resulted in a lawsuit, I believe. The number of people who thought THE CHILD SHOULD HAVE BEEN LEASHED was astounding. My own idiot brother said that to me. He's got a dog he thinks is his child too.

Oh my. That's the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time.

I'm a dog person and said I wouldn't have a problem with a dog at McDonald's, but I do have a problem with this. That's rude. You don't bring a dog to someone's house without asking first, and then if the host or hostess is gracious enough to allow the dog, you do not get a say in where the dog stays. I may refer to my dogs as my babies and love them to pieces, but they are not children. Even if they were, there are times and places where children aren't appropriate either. The girl should have had some manners.

Gosh, I don't like dogs, but this doesn't strike me as the rudest thing ever.

If you don't like dogs, you might not have a good understanding of how very bouncy a young Boxer can be, and how strong they are. Combine that with an almost blind and presumably at least somewhat frail 90-year old . . . . it's just not good. It's more than rude, there's a very real risk of injury.

20 year olds are oblivious. Yes, she should have known that it was a bad idea to bring a bouncy dog to an elderly person's home, but if she is anything like I was at that age, she simply didn't think the whole thing through.

If grandma was upset, grandma should have spoken to the girl and asked her to put the dog outdoors immediately.

I missed the other thread, but I can never resist a poll.

I think more people should "make a fuss" over this type of behavior. If more people started complaining about this type of behavior maybe it would change the direction of the progression of animals being considered people.

It's not your house. You don't bring your dog. Ever. It's a dog.

And I'm sick and tired of dogs nipping at me from the cart next to me in the crowded Costco. I'm tired of stepping around poop in Lowe's. I'm so very, very fed up with putting my groceries in a cart that may have had a dog lounging in it with its oh, so disgustingly hairy blanket. Because dogs need blankets to sit in carts that they aren't even supposed to be in.

We complain every single time. And we are told that these are "service animals" and the managers are unwilling to call them on it.

I get that people have anxieties. I get it. Really. But at the end of the day, 3 people in my house are allergic to dogs and cats. I'm sick of handing out bendryl in public places where we should be safe from animal dander. And I don't like dogs. There. I said it.

I know I'll probably get flamed. But, I don't like this trend of bringing pets everywhere. We are determined to buy a big snake and bring it everywhere as our "service animal" who helps our "anxiety issues".

I think more people should "make a fuss" over this type of behavior. If more people started complaining about this type of behavior maybe it would change the direction of the progression of animals being considered people.

And I'm sick and tired of dogs nipping at me from the cart next to me in the crowded Costco. I'm tired of stepping around poop in Lowe's. I'm so very, very fed up with putting my groceries in a cart that may have had a dog lounging in it with its oh, so disgustingly hairy blanket. Because dogs need blankets to sit in carts that they aren't even supposed to be in.

We complain every single time. And we are told that these are "service animals" and the managers are unwilling to call them on it.

I get that people have anxieties. I get it. Really. But at the end of the day, 3 people in my house are allergic to dogs and cats. I'm sick of handing out bendryl in public places where we should be safe from animal dander. And I don't like dogs. There. I said it.

I know I'll probably get flamed. But, I don't like this trend of bringing pets everywhere. We are determined to buy a big snake and bring it everywhere as our "service animal" who helps our "anxiety issues".

No flames here. I don't either. It makes it more difficult for the people that actually need them as service animals in my opinion.

I love my pets. I love them in my house. But I don't expect or think I should expect - everyone to love and tolerate them the way I do.

The girl was rude and selfish being in her twenties is no excuse. She's an adult and should be expected to behave like one.

Cool! I like snakes too :tongue_smilie:

Not only that, but the physical pressure a snake lends when it drapes over you is in itself calming-at least it is for my hypersensory DD. Might be hard on the snake, though, since the nice, big, placid ones are tropical species and most of the US isn't!

What really bothers me, though, is that a well-trained service dog can really be a life changer. I'd hate to see folks who depend on, say, a well trained since puppyhood seeing-eye dog that allows them a much more independent life forced to give up that independence because of people abusing the system, which is what defining a poorly trained, barking, pooping, nipping purse dog as a "service animal" because stores can't bar an animal if you say it's a service animal does. The ADA is only about 20 years old-it could be changed.

NO dogs in the eating areas at my house. Ever.

I love dogs, but cannot stand poorly mannered ones.

Dogs begging from the table is unacceptable. ICK!

So is a large, active dog near a frail, older person. Dog could accidentally cause a fall.

people who allow their large dog to jump up on people have no right to complain when I grab said dog's front paws (hey, they're on MY chest) and don't let go. dog's never jump on me twice. One started to, then realized who I was and twisted away in mid-jump.

I'd say more dangerous. At 92 a broken hip could be fatal.

My grandmother died from a broken hip. she was confined to bed and developed pneumonia.

None of the options really fit what I would think is appropriate -- which would have been the girl ASKING first if she could bring her dog and then listening to the answer. I don't think there is anything really wrong with it if everyone is OK with it. If not, then the dog could be left at home/brought and kept up for dinner.

I'm a huge animal lover and in my house people need to accept that my pets are part of the family. However, it is not acceptable to take your dog to a family gathering when the animal hasn't been invited. Boxers are great dogs, but they are usually *very* active and "bouncy" and it was a danger to the elderly, blind grandmother and rude of the granddaughter.