Menu

What curriculum/plan/outline did you us to teach your preschoolers to read?

praisefor3

Child #3 is the first one to not have started ps kindergarten so I'm looking at options out there. If you used a specific curriculum, can you tell me which one? I wanted to do this in poll format but I'm not familiar with all the choices so I couldn't list the options. Repeat answers would be great as I'd really like to know which ones stand out. (And, of course, if you used one that didn't work for you I'd like to know that, too!) Thank you!

And, of course, the title which I apparently can't edit, should say "use" not "us." Sorry!

Loved Phonics Pathways. I combined it with some sight words pulled from the books she was interested in after the Bob Books were completed (mostly things like those PD Eastman and early Suess readers, but also the Pathway readers). We wrote some of our own stories, and used some Montessori object lessons and the Command Game.

The Command Game just consists of little sentences written on paper that you fold and then put in a container. Child draws one out, reads it silently, then does it--Mom laughs and applauds (she can draw one out, too!).

We did this to practice reading, and included some sight words but mainly the phonics we had covered.

Samples:

Kiss the dog.

Jump up.

Sit.

Get a blue cat. (We had a container of small objects)

Kiss Mom.

Kiss (dd). (obviously lots of kissing going on!)

Tell Dad you love him.

Basically, generate a list of words you can use and go for it. We played this all year in K, probably once every two weeks or so.

Nothing really, just lots of books, teaching the sounds and phonograms and teaching cvc words and then long vowel words, so far with two of the three, it's finally just "clicked" and even though they didn't read until about 8, dd is almost 11 and reads at a high school level & ds is almost 9 & is reading at about a 6th grade level. Ds whom is 7 is reading cvc words, but I'm confident that by the time he is 8, he will be reading also. For "most" kids it's kind of like walking, using the toilet, it will eventually come with gentle instruction. Now there are children that have LD's that it does take longer.

Phlox

Child #1: BJUP (Bob Jones University Press) K Beginnings program for Kindergarten. Then switched to a combination of SWR (Spell to Write and Read) plus Teach A Child to Read With Children's Books (author: Thogmartin). Child #1 knows way more phonics and sight words than Child #2, but for some reason, Child #2 reads better at this age - go figure. I've learned that I can teach a kid everything they *need* to know in order to read, and I can use all the best stuff, but personalities differ and seem to be a leading decider on when a kid will read:) Child #1 will be 8 in Oct, and now reads short chapter books like Magic Rainbow Fairies (6 chapters) and Garfield and the Beast in the Basement (12 chapters).

Child #2: a combo of ETC (Explode the Code) and BJUP K readers. She has caught on quickly. After learning short vowel words (cat, did, plan), and about 30 sight words, she is able to pick up books like Where's My Mother? and Hop on Pop, and read with some help. She has a much greater tolerance for many words on a page (unlike Child #1, who fought that tooth and nail). Child #2 just figures a lot out on her own. She also picks up sight words on her own, or somehow figures them out. She wants to read. She's just a different kid. Child #2 will be 6 in Nov.

I'm switching both kids back to BJUP this year.

Both of my kids learned to read using the Abeka program. DS was going to a private school in kindergarten and they used Abeka. We were already homeschooling when DD started, and I continued with the Abeka. We mostly used their "Handbook for Reading". Both kids are excellent readers!

Phonics Pathways -- worked perfectly with both of my dc.

After Phonics Pathways, we used the reading books that come w/ the first year of Calvert. These were a great progression to make the transition from phonics to reading longer books. They are basically five 1st grade reading texts by Houghton Mifflin.

for three of my kids. It's short, it's easy, and it gets them reading quickly. Dd started it at 3.5 and we took it slow and finished by the time she was 4.5. Then we moved into the last set of BOB books and then real books from the library and by the time she was 5.5 she was reading The Secret Garden.

Ds1 is a completely different kind of learner. I hit myself on the head with 100 EL for almost 2 years before (with lots of games and wordplay outside of the book) he started reading. After finishing 100 EL he also moved very quickly in ability with the foundation that 100 EL lays.

Last ds started 100 EL at 4 and finished at 5. We skipped the BOB books and he's been reading through Dr Seuss and other picture books since finishing.

I plan to use 100 EL with my fourth child as well.

I have a really hard time getting my head around spending a lot of money teaching reading when it's something that can be accomplished well with very simple materials.

When I figure it out, I will let you know. LOL

Right now, we have used, partially, lots of things. We did the 100EL, I loved it. My son CRIED whenever I brought out the book. We have used ETC and love it and will continue to use it. We used the Bob books which he likes, but they didn't seem to help him remember sight words when they were in a different book! We also use the Leap Frog DVDs, Code Word Caper and Word Factory. Still, we are plateaued at reading CVC words by sounding them out, with about 89% accuracy on sightwords like "the, on, in, and a." I am confident that one day, he will just "get it." Until then, we will keep reading, keep learning, keep plugging along through Calvert K, watching our DVDs and praying! LOL

Another 100 EZ Lessons user here. I was in the same boat as you are. My older dd learned in christian school. I was scared to death to teach reading...silly now that I look back on it:001_smile: Dd was a late 4yo when we began. We took it at her pace and she loved that she was reading quickly. I think by Les. 11 they are reading a "story." I was able to preview it at my library. I thought it was weird (in fact I had to pick it up two different times) but I thought I'd let dd be the judge and she loved it. We tried to supplement with Phonics Pathways (also from the library) but dd just didn't like it.

Check and see which of the programs your library system has and then preview them yourself. Even try a couple lessons on you little one and see what they find fun. That is the point, helping them to have fun reading!

Angel

For dd7 I used the ETC primers. Then we did some OPG.

Ds6 learned all of the letter sounds by osmosis. So, he started in ETC book 1 and did a little OPG, but he's an ETC kind of guy.

Ds5... We've finally settled with MFW K for him. He loves it and it's staying with him.

Ds1, I believe that when he finally talks he will go straight to reading books. No help on my part. :D

Alpha Phonics user here.

Love it because:

• pick up and go
  • no manipulatives to drop or lose... unless you want to add them
  • lots and lots of practice of words
  • sentences that can be completely read by your dc
  • no distracting pictures... want to know what it says? read it.
  • based on Orton Gillingham so all the phonograms are covered
  • no writing required (but it can be added if you want!)
  • all in one book, from prereading to a full reader! My ds was reading b4 we finnished (but we finnished anyway ;))

Some may not like it because:

• no pictures
  • no color
  • not scripted
  • the teachers guides are in the back of the book, not with each lesson
  • writing and manipulative are considered extras

hth

Here's what we have used with various children, since everyone learns differently.

Headsprout (online)

Happy Phonics - consists of lots of games (www.lovetolearn.net)

Explode the Code (used with Happy Phonics above)

Phonics Pathways

The Reading Lesson (book similar to phonics pathways but more appealling to the eye - it also has a DVD and a CDROM that you can purchase to enhance it)

We purchase a lot of board games on every subject too

HTH.

Smiles,

Shalynn

I use Spell to Write and Read phonograms with a combination of other activities. Phonograms--letter and letter combinations that make a set number of sounds.

Preschool--We watch Leappad Letter Factory and Sesame Street Do the Alphabet DVDs to learn basic letters sounds and the order of the alphabet. I start teaching the sounds of the basic phonograms.

PreK--We do a phonogram a week, we review the sound, read books with the sound, do crafts, learn to write the letter, make letter people and do worksheets from sites like:

http://www.beginningreading.com/Free%20Workshe.htm

http://www.learningpage.com/

Kindergarten--I use Rod and Staff Phonics workbooks to reinforce the phonogram sounds. I also have on hand bob books and other easy readers to work with them as they want to try reading.

When they begin reading fluently, I start working through the SWR lists at 1 per week and we do all the enrichment activities.

ds#1: 100 EZ Lessons; he didn't love it, but got it pretty well. By the time he finished the book, he figured out how to read whatever he wanted to (signs, Frog & Toad, etc.)

We also used the ETC primers.

ds#2: didn't get 100 EL at all.

Started using the ETC primers, but didn't finish them all.

What really worked for him was Spell to Write and Read (SWR)...he had great fine motor skills, so writing the phonograms was no problem.

(Ds #1 had motor skills issues, so this would not have worked for him.)

dd: Tried starting 100 EL with her (she'll be 5 in the fall). So far doesn't get it at all. I may try it again when she's older.

For now, she's working through the ETC primers (which she loves & is learning the letter sounds.)

I also got All About Spelling level 1 for her. Currently we're just working on the phonograms. I like that the method is similar to SWR, but easier to use. :) Also, she doesn't have the fine motor skills to write letters on her own, so the letter tiles are going to make this approach do-able for her.

Kelsy

Explode the Code, BOB books, and Leapfrog videos were enough for my middle two. We just played games with letter magnets and used the ideas from Ruth Beechick's The Three Rs.

I have SL LA K here for my youngest, don't know if we'll end up using it or just getting out ETC and playing games again.

We didn't use any formal program. We read lots of books, beginning when my dd was just a baby. When she got older, maybe around 2, my husband used magnetic letters on the refrigerator to teach her the alphabet. Then we just verbally (and very informally) talked about rhyming words and what sounds the consonants made. When we read books, sang hymns in church or wrote out Bible verses to memorize, I would move my fingers along with the words. We made up lots of word/spelling/rhyming games for fun. She was reading short phonetic books at around 4-1/2 (Dr. Seuss, etc.). Now she is almost 6 and enjoys reading fairy tales and longer books (like Charlotte's Web, Bobsey Twins, etc.)

I think what worked for us was to focus on the purpose and enjoyment of reading (in a natural way), and she just seemed to be able to pick it up. I don't know if this would work for everyone, but I hope it might help.

Take care,

Suzanne.

The two that read learned despite my best efforts to teach them.

My ds learned over Christmas break the year I planned to start teaching him in January. I don't know how he learned. I had felt he was ready to learn and planned to start after Christmas. Once I sat down to teach him, he said he didn't need to learn.

With my dd, I tried to avoid that problem and started teaching her to read before I thought she was ready. We tried 100 easy lessons, OPGTR, PP, and many other things that promise to help you teach your child to read. I decided to quit trying for a few months and basketball season began for my ds which involved lots of time with us in the van. She watched the LeapFrog videos millions of times and listened to me read the same stories millions of times. After basketball season, she was reading Fox in Sox and Green Eggs and Ham. I don't know how she learned either.

So with my youngest, I am trying really hard to not ever try to teach her to read. I think that will save me a lot of trouble. Of course, that means that she will probably be the only one that needs it.

With my oldest I started with 100 EZ lessons. I liked the book alot and she started at age 4.5 and we hit a road block. Put it away. Brought it back out would hit another road block. And we did this for some time. I tried a few other programs but she just wasn't interested. It wasn't until I found The Reading Lessons at our library and she began reading , finished that book and did the second half of 100 EZ lessons.

My 2nd daughter learned with 100 EZ lessons with gusto and she reads better then her oldest sister.

My 3rd is getting ready to learn to read and I've started her with The Reading Lessons but had to order another 100EZ lessons book because I loaned out our book and its gone. So I'll see if this works better with her. She is starting to get it but 100 EZ lessons has more lessons on blending words then The Reading Lesson does. So we'll see how it goes.

I like both programs actually and they are inexpensive and easy to teach and use.

My Father's World (wonderful results)

Reading Made Easy with Phonics Pathways for support/help...

The Reading Lesson

So far, all have worked very well.

My Father's World is very thorough phonetically which I really like. It is also excellent at teaching sound discrimination and blending-excellent.

Reading Made Easy is cozy and open and go... but not as phonetically "pure" as I like- thus adding Phonics Pathways (which we already had)

The Reading Lesson: so far working great... my four year old (youngest one I ever started teaching to read- but she insisted) is so cute and doing really well with it!

Rebecca

The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading by Jessie Wise and Sara Buffington. It was perfect for us. By the end of her kindergarten year, my 6yo was reading (and loving) the "Ramona" books (by Beverly Cleary) just for fun.

Susan

I tried Phonics Pathways before switching to The Ordinary Parent's Guide. I really enjoy the scripted nature of OPG. I felt a little lost as to what to say with Phonics Pathways.

I am also using ETC and Click n Read Phonics. My daughter uses Bob Books for readers.

I was hoping to answer your question by the end of the day, but I didn't know how to put in a link to another thread. Thanks to some help from Holly in NNV, I learned how to do it! So here goes:

Yesterday I explained the simple, inexpensive "program" / (kit?) I used to teach our 3 dc to read. I love it because it is easy and gentle. Here's the thread where I discussed it: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=396282#post396282

I remember reading in Mary Pride's Big Book of Home Learning that it's always the THIRD reading/phonics program you use that works (because the kids finally get it the 3rd time around). I guess the point is that when the child is ready, they'll learn how to read no matter what program you use. :) I remember there were times that I said "just 5 minutes of phonics work", figuring that 5 gentle minutes wouldn't kill anyone. But if I ever thought "we're going to finish this lesson if it kills us!" it usually did.

Beginning Reading at Home is an easy phonics method. I honestly think I could teach anyone to read with my "kit". In fact, I may try that when this season of life is over. :auto:

Teaching your child to read is one of the great joys in life.

HTH,

Cindy

Child #3 is the first one to not have started ps kindergarten so I'm looking at options out there. If you used a specific curriculum, can you tell me which one? I wanted to do this in poll format but I'm not familiar with all the choices so I couldn't list the options. Repeat answers would be great as I'd really like to know which ones stand out. (And, of course, if you used one that didn't work for you I'd like to know that, too!) Thank you!

And, of course, the title which I apparently can't edit, should say "use" not "us." Sorry!

I used the reading and spelling sections of the book, The Writing Road to Reading by Romalda Spalding.

#1 = Pieced together Spalding info (not all of Spalding though - mainly, phonograms). Added in some MCP's Phonics and lots of varied readers. Bob Books were the big starter, then onto whatever interested him at the library. I would say he was reading readers and such somewhere in his 4's and picture books by 5's.

#2 = Same as #1. She learned more quickly. Reading picture books by age 4 or 4.5. She's 6 now, and reading chapter books like American Girl series, Nancy Drew, etc. Content is a little beyond her years, but what can I do???

#3 She's 4yo now, and we're starting with phonograms. I just purchases SWR (which was written based on Spalding), and think this may bring all the Spalding loose ends together for me (??? maybe ???). I also have OPG, and may try cruising through that with her. She is not an advanced reader, but I think she'll be right at average age level - probably will start taking off sometime this year, and reading pictures books by next year like my #1.

HTH and GL! - Stacey in MA

I used Reading Reflex with all three of my kids. It was easy to use, and I thought explained things in a straightforward, intuitive way (although it is phonetically-based, it does not teach the traditional phonics "rules", so might not be immediatly intuitive to someone who has learned that way - rather than learning that "igh" is a long I sound with two silent letters, it teaches that when you see the letter combination "igh", you say "I")

Anyway, it cost all of $16, worked great for all three kids, and was the only learn-to-read program we needed. After that we progressed to BOB books, other early readers and then whatever they wanted.

We start Sequential Spelling in 2nd grade, which is great reinforcement.

My older daughter is 4.5. We are working our way through Headsprout (lesson 45), and I have been very pleased with it. We also do a bit of Montessori object boxes, three part cards, and command games as well. My younger sits in on most lessons, but at just turned three, I don't know how much she comprehends and I don't expect any output from her. My goal for this year for Catherine, my younger, is to be solid on letter sounds/ common multiletter phonograms and to identify/ create rhyming words and words with the same beginning sounds. Maybe we'll work on oral blending and segmenting.

Anna still has another year before she is technically kindergarten age. My plan is to finish Headsprout and then do the ABeCeDarian blending/ segmenting Level A supplement to really solidify those "sounding out" skills. I taught the phonograms from the time they were babies; when I presented a letter I always said the sound(s). I'll probably review those (as well as the multiletter phonograms) more thoroughly this year to help lay the foundation for Catherine. We'll also begin reading "real" books once we finish Headsprout. My plan is to use a combination of the I See Sam RALP readers and easy books from the library. As more fluency develops, we'll add in the Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers.

In terms of systematic instruction, after the blending/ segmenting supplement I will move into either ABeCeDarian Level B or Promethean Press Bear Necessities B, largely depending on her fine motor skills. My preference is for ABeCeDarian, but if there's not a good way to accomodate poor handwriting, we'll spend some time on fluency from the Bear Necessities books.

Once she's "kindergarten" age, a year from now, we'll start using the Spalding program to teach spelling.

used no curriculum with the 3 who read so far! started with index cards with letters on,(first saying the sounds, in a game - you keep the ones you can tell the sound of, lining up in alphabetical order, quizzing the name) an alphabet chart with pictures we made (a has ant, apple, airplane, aardvark, whatever we want) and marched down the hallway, moved to bob books and from there straight to early readers. with 2 girls and 1 boy so far, thats all they needed and they are all very different learners. 1 more boy in the pipeline, at 4 who can read simple words and knows all the sounds consistently. my daughters were fluent at about 4 1/2 (and now at 8 and 11 read high school level) my son at 5 1/2.

I love teaching my kids to read! I have used AlphaPhonics in conjunction with the Explode the Code series for all 5 of my children - all who have different learning styles and abilities- with great success.

They all love to read, read far above grade level, read with understanding.

Plus, it's still a pretty inexpensive way to go- specially if you laminate or put the ETC books in page protectors.