Menu

The Fed-Ex guy rang my doorbell at 9:45 PM tonight.

Excelsior! Academy

I. am. not. happy.

I get it is Christmas. I get they are working long hours. I appreciate the service. Sometimes I stalk the Fed-Ex truck...even when I haven't ordered anything. BUT it is 9:45 at night and I have a 12 passenger van in the driveway. It is possible that I have sleeping children inside. Could they at least try knocking first?!

I took disconnected my doorbell years ago. I can hear people walking up on my porch no problem. If I know you, you will knock or just walk in. If I don't, you will ring and ring and go away. In 8 years it has never caused a single problem.

If a ringing doorbell is going to wake up a sleeping baby or toddler, you might consider just going right to the source and getting rid of the noisemaker.

I would chase him down if he rung my bell that late!

I can just hear the chaos! Baby screaming, anxious kids freaking, other kids whatever. And the dog barking like mad.

(oh my goodness! As I wrote that....the carbon monoxide detector went off! BTW, NONE of the little kids woke up, even with me barging into the girls' room)

KIds go to sleep that early?

I know, I know, I some how created a mutated version. When my oldest were, 2 & 3 I kind of gave up on bedtimes. They had to stay in their room and I went to bed. My kids NEVER woke me up at 6:00 am, like I hear kids are supposed to do.... Never. So when the Fed-Ex guy came at 9:45, they would have answered the door.

Should that be on the confessions post?

No, no signature required. He was driving off when I opened the door.

Well that's just beyond annoying. Maybe they're having the same issues our neighborhood has had. Several neighbors have come home to find the contents of their packages missing. The boxes are fully opened when they've arrived home. FedEx decided to deliver later in our neighborhood as a result.

My neighbor puts a post it note on her doorbell to let the delivery guys know not to ring the doorbell because of her sleeping baby.

For us, we prefer them to ring the doorbell as parcels get wet in the rain if the winds are strong. We stay in a condominium so rain does get to our front door at times depending on wind direction.

Call Fed-Ex. This is a management issue, not a driver issue. I pretty much guarantee that he would love to be home at this time of night and not out delivering packages. Unfortunately, they are not given the option.

I agree.

My FedEx and UPS guys ever deliver pass 10pm. I felt so bad for them eventhough I was waiting for my boys stuff and grateful to have them delivered.

I. am. not. happy.

I get it is Christmas. I get they are working long hours. I appreciate the service. Sometimes I stalk the Fed-Ex truck...even when I haven't ordered anything. BUT it is 9:45 at night and I have a 12 passenger van in the driveway. It is possible that I have sleeping children inside. Could they at least try knocking first?!

I understand your frustration. they are just dropping of the package, and then heading back to the truck. unless they need a signature, they dont' wait to see if anyone is home. they are trying to be as fast as they can.

I would suggest a note or something taped over your doorbell. You would probably also do well to leave the porch light on so they'd see it.

Stuff is getting stolen nationwide. They are doing what they have to so they don't lose their shirts because most UPS packages have automatic insurance attached to them per UPS policy.

My kid never went to bed either. I always marveled at parents who could get their kids to sleep w/o Benedryl...

a

When we moved this summer, we got a private mail box at the UPS store. Best decision ever. They sign for all my packages and they are kept safe in the air conditioned store until I pick them up. No more late (or super early) door bell ringing, no more school interruptions, no waking up the baby at naptime, and no stolen packages. So nice!

Okay, I have to say that y'all are weird. I can hear the Fed-Ex and UPS (and mail) guys as soon as they are on my street. Our house is well insulated, but I'm hyper vigilant when it comes to these guys. :)

Well, and my hubby is still out in the garage (man-cave) at 9:45 so no one would knock on the door anyway.

Gotta say my kids would be asleep too but I wouldn't care because A PACKAGE ARRIVED!

I'd probably trip over the stupid dog and nearly break a leg sprinting to the door. Blame it on kids sleeping, but truth is I'd be glad they were out of the way. And we know they are coming up the street and the sound of them stopping in front of the house.

Geez. That makes our lives sound so.... Boring.

I've gotta admit that after reading the OP I only felt sorry for the FedEx guy. Those poor guys are just doing their job and I feel for them being out so late, and I really doubt they want to be.

I guess he could quit, start using FS, and buy himself some cupcakes. :tongue_smilie:

Well he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Where we used to live I never used the front door. Fed EX and UPS were the only ones that used the front door. If I wasn't tracking something, the doorbell was the only reason I'd know. They probably have strict protocol about doing some notification when delivering, due to package theft. Honestly, he'd probably been delivering packages all day. It's 9:45, he probably wanted to go home too. I don't expect the delivery guy to break protocol simply because he sees a big van in the driveway, lots of people have big vans.

I'm sorry he woke your kids, but he's just doing his job. I would not complain.

as an aside: I ordered some stuff last night. It said it will be delivered by 8:00 pm Christmas Eve. It's not Christmas gifts, but someone is going to be out there late delivering my stuff. I'm sure they'll appreciate the overtime this season.

It's tough being in the shipping business in December. When my husband was flying freight we wouldn't see him at all during the month. Everyone who touches a package this time of year is swamped. Ds is working at a Pack and Mail place--wow they are busy!

As far as ringing the doorbell...I'd have been miffed if he hadn't rung the bell, so like someone else said, he can't win. At least you got your package! That's good!

I personally would not be so upset if the Fed Ex guy rang my doorbell. In fact I would appreciate it. Who wants a package sitting on your doorstep for anyone to steal all night long?

I highly doubt that he gave a second thought to what kind of car you are driving. I am sure he was concentrating on getting everything safely delivered and getting back home to his own family.

Happy holidays to the fed ex man!

KIds go to sleep that early?

I know, I know, I some how created a mutated version. When my oldest were, 2 & 3 I kind of gave up on bedtimes. They had to stay in their room and I went to bed. My kids NEVER woke me up at 6:00 am, like I hear kids are supposed to do.... Never. So when the Fed-Ex guy came at 9:45, they would have answered the door.

Yes. My kids are in bed at 7:30p. (Sometimes 8:30p for the baby if she had a particularly long nap that day)

And awake at 6:00a.

They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. They run the risk of waking children, or of having things stolen. They're usually going to pick the former. As to the time, I'm not really sure how that can be helped with the volume at this time of year. DH used to work for UPS. This time of year is just insane for package handlers.

The FedEx drivers are trained to ring the bell. Sorry your kids didn't sleep through it, but how would you feel if it were stolen (like others have said)? Or If they only delivered during hours that were convenient for your children's sleep schedules and nothing made it anywhere on time for Christmas? I don't think that 9:45 is that late for grown people who have actually requested as service (product delivery) at a time of year when timing typically means a lot.

Telemarketing call at 9:45 pm? I'd be irritated. Delivery guy? Not so much.

They can't win. :( I get annoyed when they don't ring the bell, because things go missing in my neighborhood, and we are in the back of the house and do not hear a knock.

I agree. I hate when I track my package and it says delivered, but there was never a knock or doorbell. It was raining all day yesterday here.

My dh is a delivery driver. If there's a bell, he's suppose to ring it once and leave the pkg. If not, he knocks loudly one time and leaves the pkg. His intention is never to wake anyone, but when it's late/early I'm sure it happens.

My doorbell is covered with a 'please do not ring' sign since I have day care kids sleeping at various hours.

Guest inoubliable

Well...considering he could get in deep doo-doo with his company if your package is stolen and you submit a claim and not so much if your kids wake up...I'm glad you got your package! Our local FedEx and UPS guys are working earlier and later hours to make sure everyone gets their holiday packages before the big day. Besides, if your kids didn't wake up, no harm no foul, right? ;)

Sorry can't agree. Poor guy busting his tail in frigid weather all night long and he doesn't notice you have a van, lots of kids and should knock softly bc you may/may not have sleeping children? They ring the doorbell to be sure you hear it, bc if the package is stolen bc it sat there all might, guess who is going to complain? You.

Glad you got your package. I really feel for the employees working so hard trying to meet delivery deadlines. I have had a package stolen that required signature for delivery, but some stranger in the apartment building signed for it. So, now I am glad that the bell rings, so I can get packages off the porch.

My dh is a delivery driver. If there's a bell, he's suppose to ring it once and leave the pkg. If not, he knocks loudly one time and leaves the pkg. His intention is never to wake anyone, but when it's late/early I'm sure it happens.

My doorbell is covered with a 'please do not ring' sign since I have day care kids sleeping at various hours.

1dd has worked graveyard as she is employeed in an area that runs 24/7. she sleeps during the day. (and as the newb in her current job, she works christmas day - at least she can do it from home.) sigh . . . and 2dd is going into an area where they run 24/7 . . . . good prep for motherhood I guess.

these poor guys just can't win. I'm just grateful for my packages. (though I have been annoyed when the mail man - who will deliver to my side door - put packages on my recycle bin. I nearly recycled the last one!) ups/fed-ex/on-trac guy always delivers to the front door.

the delivery guys aren't out delivering 24/7 - but you can bet your bottom dollar there are people behind the scenes who are.

I didn't know this would be such a controversial subject. I REALLY do appreciate the job they do. I just wanted to vent to a "safe" place. There is NO WAY I would complain to Fed-Ex. Several crying young children at almost 10 at night is tough on the old nerves.

Our kids go to bed around 8 or so in the winter. Not that I expect the rest of the world to do so. I was always taught not to call or visit after 9:30. So, yeah, 9:45 seems late to me.

BTW: The box contained legos, lego videos, potato guns, and a flying helicopter. :)

I'm sorry it woke your kids. I understand being annoyed. However, it was pouring Saturday and the no-name delivery company guy that Amazon sometimes uses didn't ring the door bell. The packaging was nearly soaked through when we found it--thankfully Amazon had shrink-wrapped the book inside

That's not a delivery...that's a booty call!! :rofl: Sorry, couldn't resist! I would be very annoyed with a late delivery like that.

But if they don't deliver that late this time of year, all the deliveries won't get made or made by the day promised.

So you have to decide, a one time inconvince of having your kids woke up or not getting the legos and things you ordered by christmas. Next delivery you may be in the early part of the route.

If all your deliveries all year long came that late, I could understand being upset. But at christmas, when their volume is so much higher than the rest of the year you have to not only excuse it, but be thankful they are following procedure and letting you know their is a package.