Menu

Can someone please explain this to me-letter from HSLDA

Urgent Post-Election Update from Mike FarrisDear Friend,

It’s going to take even more effort to defend our God-given parental rights.Mike Farris

HSLDA Founder and ChairmanThere is no easy way to say this. Our goal of protecting parental rights and homeschool freedom just got a lot harder as a result of Tuesday’s election. This is especially true in the U.S. Senate where we will now face 53 senators who have uniformly supported UN treaties to undermine our families and our national sovereignty.

Those who wish to push America into the camp of UN-controlled nations have to be absolutely giddy at their prospects.

Before the election, we had obtained intelligence that the proponents of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities were going to make a serious run for ratification during the lame duck session of Congress that starts next week. Their chances of success have dramatically improved.

We can and must fight back. We need 34 senators to stand against these efforts that would place American policy and our families under the watchful control of the United Nations.

It is going to take a far more robust effort to stop the ratification in this political atmosphere. We will have to conduct a massive public relations campaign to educate about American sovereignty and the impact of UN treaties on our liberty.

Time is absolutely of the essence to stop the Senate from handing our nation over to the bureaucrats in New York and Geneva. Please give sacrificially today to our Homeschool Freedom Fund to halt this pro-treaty surge.I just returned from Germany where parental rights in education are non-existent. German parents warned me to redouble my efforts to stop these UN treaties lest we fall into the same trap.

I need your help right now. Your donation is tax-deductible. More importantly, it will help preserve your God-given freedom to direct the education and upbringing of your children.

Sincerely,

Michael Farris

Chairman

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The threat to parental rights by the UN is a valid concern. They are trying to get the US to adopt their policy giving more rights to the child which will indeed make it harder to be a parent and thus homeschool.

Maybe the HSLDA is just trying to raise money, but I wouldn't discount the issue.

Basically, they want your money.

:iagree:

IMHO, that's an utter bunch of carp, and total fear-mongering to boot. FWIW, I live in one of the most left-leaning states in the nation, and it is easy-peasy to homeschool here. Not in any way trying to make this political, just saying that I think their argument is a bunch of garbage. The election going to one direction or another is not going to magically mean that everyone's rights are going to go *poof*. :001_huh: I really don't get where people get this stuff but, yeah, they obviously just want your money.

Looks like scare-mongering for donations. Even in the unlikely event the rights were ratified, homeschooling is not barred by them. There are countries that have ratified the rights of the child where homeschooling remains a legal practice.

Actually, I have looked into this. It is a very valid concern. I encourage everyone to look into this issue to become educated in it. Homeschooling could be in danger if we come under the thumb of the UN who wants everything the same and streamlined for every child in every nation -- this includes education.

I'm not saying HSLDA isn't looking for money, but that this is a real issue to be watchful of. It never hurts to be aware because if we're not, that's when legislation sneaks up and bites you in the ......

Actually, I have looked into this. It is a very valid concern. I encourage everyone to look into this issue to become educated in it. Homeschooling could be in danger if we come under the thumb of the UN who wants everything the same and streamlined for every child in every nation -- this includes education.

I'm not saying HSLDA isn't looking for money, but that this is a real issue to be watchful of. It never hurts to be aware because if we're not, that's when legislation sneaks up and bites you in the ......

From what I understand, our Constitution trumps any treaty we sign.... so I still think it is fear mongering on HSLDA's part.

The threat to parental rights by the UN is a valid concern. They are trying to get the US to adopt their policy giving more rights to the child which will indeed make it harder to be a parent and thus homeschool.

Maybe the HSLDA is just trying to raise money, but I wouldn't discount the issue.

I'm not a HSLDA supporter, but I agree that the concern over the UN is valid. The UN has nothing to do with living in a right or left leaning state and how easy it is to HS there.

From what I understand, our Constitution trumps any treaty we sign.... so I still think it is fear mongering on HSLDA's part.

It should ... theoretically...

The concern over the UN has been around long before the election. The timing might be fear mongering...but the concern is valid.

I am as liberal as they come. Whee, world government! (j/k) But seriously, even I don't believe for a second that anyone in the United States, no matter what treaties were signed, would abrogate the rights of home schoolers due to the whimsy of some toothless underpaid apparatchik at UN Plaza.

International cooperation and discussion is lovely, and I'm glad, for example, that we are signatories to the Child Soldiers treaty, even though it means we have hold back 17-year-old U.S. Army privates from active duty in combat zones, but by and large, the United Nations is a sideshow that exerts little or no influence on the internal workings of this country.

I feel certain that we, as country, will generally continue doing whatever we want without regard to the opinions of international organizations. Americans are just stubborn/defiant/interesting that way. :)

Edited by kubiac

I'm not a HSLDA supporter, but I agree that the concern over the UN is valid. The UN has nothing to do with living in a right or left leaning state and how easy it is to HS there.

:iagree: I looked into it awhile back when someone posted on it, read the entire treaty, and the idea that we're going to lose our homeschooling rights over it is utter nonsense. I think the HSLDA's tinfoil hats are overheating their brains.

I find it deeply disturbing when all examples of "family values" involve defending the rights of parents to potentially mistreat their children. An organization looks a bit odd when it is busy defending parental spanking and the idea that only a parent should ever have any authority over their child.

Given that the UN has not managed to effectively get rid of any number of genocidal dictators, "going after" homeschoolers seems like it would take a while to implement.

I am certain, however, that wild eyed statements about how "they" are going to get rid of your right to practice religion and beat your wife and kids is very motivating in seeking donations.

What is to explain?

I wonder how many members are busy posting this letter on other boards.

I am not a member. I just saw this posted over on SCM and the whole sky is falling mentality has been the response so I thought I would ask here where calmer minds might prevail.:001_smile:

Looks like scare-mongering for donations. Even in the unlikely event the rights were ratified, homeschooling is not barred by them. There are countries that have ratified the rights of the child where homeschooling remains a legal practice.

:iagree: Fearmongering, nothing more. It is NOT a valid concern for reasons that have been discussed here many times.

I just saw this posted over on SCM and the whole sky is falling mentality has been the response

That is even more disturbing. But then, I've been amazed by many threads there, most notably the unfailing promotion of behaviorism as being in the style of Charlotte Mason. The books by Childlight are a welcome antidote to that confusion.

sigh.....

it could be a useful letter to evaluate, looking at the language that is used, how it creates an "us/them" mentality, what it considers to be shared values, the logic fallacies it uses, the manipulations that it attempts..... well, it would be enough for me to stop being a member of any group that sent me email like that.

double sigh.....

ann

Treaties are considered the highest law of the land.

No, the Constitution is the highest law of the land.

From what I can tell, a treaty is considered equivalent to a legislatively enacted law, which would be definitely subordinate to the Constitution!

Here is one random cite, which does cite a SC decision which one could further research.

http://law.onecle.com/constitution/article-2/18-treaties-as-law-of-the-land.html

Groups like the HSLDA that spread deliberate lies with the purpose of creating anger, hatred, and unreason with the purpose of furthering their own agenda (which includes both creating fear and making money) are tearning at the fabric of American society. Their message of "fear and hate your neighbors" is exactly the opposite of the one we ought follow.

Bill

I do not want the UN to regulate education.

Heh heh. Isn't that the only point of every letter you get from some organization telling you about problems to be resolved?

The difference is some groups try to solve actual proplems. The HSLDA does lillte more than attempt to create anger and fear over non-issues and the outright misrepresentation of reality to make money and manipulate peoples minds into hatred.

They are a very bad outfit.

Bill

Perhaps we should all get a few things clear here.

First of all, treaties do not supercede the Constitution. Anyone can figure this out with google and thirty seconds of free time.

Reid v. Covert

Also, there is nothing in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child that will make homeschooling illegal. I highly recommend everyone read it before mass emailing everyone they know in fits of terror and outrage.

I imagine this section here is the one which is sending the HSLDA into paroxysms of manufactured outrage:

Article 28

1. States Parties recognize the right of the child to education, and with a view to achieving this right progressively and on the basis of equal opportunity, they shall, in particular:

(a) Make primary education compulsory and available free to all;

(b) Encourage the development of different forms of secondary education, including general and vocational education, make them available and accessible to every child, and take appropriate measures such as the introduction of free education and offering financial assistance in case of need;

© Make higher education accessible to all on the basis of capacity by every appropriate means;

(d) Make educational and vocational information and guidance available and accessible to all children;

(e) Take measures to encourage regular attendance at schools and the reduction of drop-out rates.

2. States Parties shall take all appropriate measures to ensure that school discipline is administered in a manner consistent with the child's human dignity and in conformity with the present Convention.

3. States Parties shall promote and encourage international cooperation in matters relating to education, in particular with a view to contributing to the elimination of ignorance and illiteracy throughout the world and facilitating access to scientific and technical knowledge and modern teaching methods. In this regard, particular account shall be taken of the needs of developing countries.

Article 29

1. States Parties agree that the education of the child shall be directed to:

(a) The development of the child's personality, talents and mental and physical abilities to their fullest potential;

(b) The development of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, and for the principles enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations;

© The development of respect for the child's parents, his or her own cultural identity, language and values, for the national values of the country in which the child is living, the country from which he or she may originate, and for civilizations different from his or her own;

(d) The preparation of the child for responsible life in a free society, in the spirit of understanding, peace, tolerance, equality of sexes, and friendship among all peoples, ethnic, national and religious groups and persons of indigenous origin;

(e) The development of respect for the natural environment.

2. No part of the present article or article 28 shall be construed so as to interfere with the liberty of individuals and bodies to establish and direct educational institutions, subject always to the observance of the principle set forth in paragraph 1 of the present article and to the requirements that the education given in such institutions shall conform to such minimum standards as may be laid down by the State.

Now did you all see that last part that I bolded? Read it again. And again. As long as you are providing access to some kind of education for your child, the treaty cannot interfere with your freedom to do so.

See how useful actually reading this stuff is?

Here:

http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/crc.htm

I agree. I know that HSLDA gets a bad rep around here (by a certain group of people), but this UN issue is something I've heard discussed in a lot of circles. I don't know that I'll send HSLDA money for this because I really don't know much about them at all. However, I will look to donate money to other groups that I know will be strongly supportive of homeschool rights (and opposed to allowing the UN to have a greater role in the U.S. citizens' lives).

It's always Germany that is brought up, out of all the countries in the world that have subscribed to the treaty. Why not, 'I just returned from Scotland, where parents do not even have to inform the authorities that they are home educating their children.'

Yes, the situation in Germany is rotten. What it has to do with the UN is a mystery to me.

Laura

I do not want the UN to regulate education.

I actually do not want the UN to have ANY say about what America does. I feel like America is ok, compared to other countries, for all of our citizens. I would like the UN to go after say... N. Korea, China, and other countries I won't name...

Get everything fair and just for some of the worse and then come to "aid us"...

:(

Urgent Post-Election Update from Mike FarrisDear Friend,

It’s going to take even more effort to defend our God-given parental rights.Mike Farris

HSLDA Founder and ChairmanThere is no easy way to say this. Our goal of protecting parental rights and homeschool freedom just got a lot harder as a result of Tuesday’s election. This is especially true in the U.S. Senate where we will now face 53 senators who have uniformly supported UN treaties to undermine our families and our national sovereignty.

Those who wish to push America into the camp of UN-controlled nations have to be absolutely giddy at their prospects.

Before the election, we had obtained intelligence that the proponents of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities were going to make a serious run for ratification during the lame duck session of Congress that starts next week. Their chances of success have dramatically improved.

We can and must fight back. We need 34 senators to stand against these efforts that would place American policy and our families under the watchful control of the United Nations.

It is going to take a far more robust effort to stop the ratification in this political atmosphere. We will have to conduct a massive public relations campaign to educate about American sovereignty and the impact of UN treaties on our liberty.

Time is absolutely of the essence to stop the Senate from handing our nation over to the bureaucrats in New York and Geneva. Please give sacrificially today to our Homeschool Freedom Fund to halt this pro-treaty surge.I just returned from Germany where parental rights in education are non-existent. German parents warned me to redouble my efforts to stop these UN treaties lest we fall into the same trap.

I need your help right now. Your donation is tax-deductible. More importantly, it will help preserve your God-given freedom to direct the education and upbringing of your children.

Sincerely,

Michael Farris

Chairman

Obtained intelligence?? Is he an FBI agent? I can see being concerned about an issue, but the language boggles my mind!

I'm being lazy this morning (I have a rotten cold) so this is from wiki:

No, I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat. Treaties supercede state laws. I'm off to homeschool my children. Have fun throwing rocks at me.

Yes, treaties will trump state laws. But not the Constitution.

Perhaps we should all get a few things clear here.

First of all, treaties do not supercede the Constitution. Anyone can figure this out with google and thirty seconds of free time.

Reid v. Covert

Also, there is nothing in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child that will make homeschooling illegal. I highly recommend everyone read it before mass emailing everyone they know in fits of terror and outrage.

I imagine this section here is the one which is sending the HSLDA into paroxysms of manufactured outrage:

Article 28

1. States Parties recognize the right of the child to education, and with a view to achieving this right progressively and on the basis of equal opportunity, they shall, in particular:

(a) Make primary education compulsory and available free to all;

(b) Encourage the development of different forms of secondary education, including general and vocational education, make them available and accessible to every child, and take appropriate measures such as the introduction of free education and offering financial assistance in case of need;

© Make higher education accessible to all on the basis of capacity by every appropriate means;

(d) Make educational and vocational information and guidance available and accessible to all children;

(e) Take measures to encourage regular attendance at schools and the reduction of drop-out rates.

2. States Parties shall take all appropriate measures to ensure that school discipline is administered in a manner consistent with the child's human dignity and in conformity with the present Convention.

3. States Parties shall promote and encourage international cooperation in matters relating to education, in particular with a view to contributing to the elimination of ignorance and illiteracy throughout the world and facilitating access to scientific and technical knowledge and modern teaching methods. In this regard, particular account shall be taken of the needs of developing countries.

Article 29

1. States Parties agree that the education of the child shall be directed to:

(a) The development of the child's personality, talents and mental and physical abilities to their fullest potential;

(b) The development of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, and for the principles enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations;

© The development of respect for the child's parents, his or her own cultural identity, language and values, for the national values of the country in which the child is living, the country from which he or she may originate, and for civilizations different from his or her own;

(d) The preparation of the child for responsible life in a free society, in the spirit of understanding, peace, tolerance, equality of sexes, and friendship among all peoples, ethnic, national and religious groups and persons of indigenous origin;

(e) The development of respect for the natural environment.

2. No part of the present article or article 28 shall be construed so as to interfere with the liberty of individuals and bodies to establish and direct educational institutions, subject always to the observance of the principle set forth in paragraph 1 of the present article and to the requirements that the education given in such institutions shall conform to such minimum standards as may be laid down by the State.

Now did you all see that last part that I bolded? Read it again. And again. As long as you are providing access to some kind of education for your child, the treaty cannot interfere with your freedom to do so.

See how useful actually reading this stuff is?

Here:

http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/crc.htm

Doesn't the US already do all this? I don't get why the UN is spending money promoting it. Countries that have the funds and infrastructure do this without being told. Countries that don't have the funds and infrastructure can't do this no matter how much they want to. Signing a paper saying we or they agree to this won't change anything. How much money is being spent on this "treaty" around the world? I don't even get how it is a treaty.

Obtained intelligence?? Is he an FBI agent? I can see being concerned about an issue, but the language boggles my mind!

I think it's great whenever people start to obtain intelligence. Such events are momentous and certainly warrant press releases! We all should do it!

No, I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat. Treaties supercede state laws. I'm off to homeschool my children. Have fun throwing rocks at me.

Yes but the right to homeschool is not afforded to us by merely state laws. Many states banned it or claimed it was not allowed. It was constitutional protections that were the basis for overturning those restrictive laws or restrictive interpretations of the the law. Treaties do not supersede the constitution. And even if they did, homeschoers have nothing to fear from the details of this treaty.

The treaty talks about education and access. Not making state schools required. Many countries that are already part of the treaty have perfectly legal homeschooling. And the ones (really one) that do not? It is not because they changed to align with the treaty.

Finally, what pray tell do folks think happens when a country violates a UN treaty (setting aside the fact that homeschooling is not a violation of this treaty)? Um, in practice people make speeches and activists shout that the country is in violation.

Edited by kijipt