Menu

If you live on the East Coast

Are you being told that Hurricane Sandy is going to be the "perfect storm" and a massive Nor' easter (idk if I did that right), or that it isn't anything to worry about? Our news keeps saying that it isn't anything to worry about, and it's just going to kind of graze the coastline, but then I keep seeing and hearing other news reports that are talking about it being the perfect storm. So what are you hearing?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not on the east coast but we are supposed to get maybe record low temperatures for the days because of Hurricane Sandy.

Where are you, OP?

SInce the storm is now over CUba, they can't exactly predict where it will cause the most damage. What I have heard is that, it will cause about $1B in damage if it hits near Delaware but much less if it bypasses most of the East Coast and goes straight for Maine.

It is supposed to be much worse than the Perfect Storm of 1991 which did mostly affect northern NE. The predictions of it hitting the US are now up to 70%.

I am not on the east coast but we are supposed to get maybe record low temperatures for the days because of Hurricane Sandy.

Where are you, OP?

SInce the storm is now over CUba, they can't exactly predict where it will cause the most damage. What I have heard is that, it will cause about $1B in damage if it hits near Delaware but much less if it bypasses most of the East Coast and goes straight for Maine.

It is supposed to be much worse than the Perfect Storm of 1991 which did mostly affect northern NE. The predictions of it hitting the US are now up to 70%.

Texas. A friend here yesterday posted on FB that TX storm trackers were calling for it to be the "perfect storm" and I kind of rolled my eyes, but then on my news feed this morning, I saw another report that it was supposed to be massive. I was Just curious what the East Coast weathermen were saying.

The local forecasters here are saying Sandy has the potential to create a "perfect storm" situation with the main impact being from the mid-Atlantic to northeast, but that the only problem in NC will be rough surf and 30-40 mph winds on the Outer Banks this weekend. And of course that's followed by the usual stay tuned, subject to change, etc., etc.

Aw crud. Time to round up all the flashlights and get all the batteries charged again. The girls saw the news at a friend's house and came home worried about the storm. I told them it was nothing we had to worry about. I really hope I'm right! We were very lucky during Irene, but I'm afraid to bet on being so lucky this time.

I guess I'll be hitting the grocery store for some staples today, since we have little in the house at the moment.

I am hearing "perfect storm" here in NJ, but nobody has committed to any particular forecast yet. I think Halloween is going to be nasty, cold and rainy. (Who will eat all that candy if the little ones can't trick or treat?? )

We'll make sure we have batteries for flashlights, but not too much other preparation at this point.

I have read what everyone else has. The kids and I are taking inventory of batteries, flashlights, weather radios, etc. we will go out tomorrow morning and get the things we need, and hopefully, this. Will all be for naught.

Dh is supposed to travel on Sunday, but is likely to cancel.

I will try to watch a weather report later today.

NJ...I have heard the storm could take two different tracks. One takes it right up our coast combining with a Nor'easter and creating the "perfect storm." The other track is more to the east of us, in which case it would not cause much damage here in NJ but would hit more in New England.

You can look at the weather dot com tracker. I think the worst of it will be DC to NY on Monday and Tuesday.

I know in the DC area power outages are expected. I guess I'll make sure I have a lot of ice. I've been pretty lucky with storm power outages though.

Hmmm... well I guess dh won't be traveling to DC on Tuesday.

I'm in the DC area and I'm hearing all kinds of not good. :glare: I am not looking forward to it. I have some big, dead trees that are just waiting to go down on my chicken building, now that the lot behind us has been cleared and there's no natural windbreak. I also worry a lot about the horses in storms like this.

I've heard the perfect storm message. Our area, which is still not back to normal after Irene, is bracing for impact.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised either way.

:iagree: I'm in Rhode Island, so we are smack dab on the edge first to get hit. Our bridges still aren't even rebuilt yet after Irene. I don't know what we'll do. We were without power or gas for 6 days during Irene. It was horrible. And the flooding! :crying:

You can look at the weather dot com tracker. I think the worst of it will be DC to NY on Monday and Tuesday.

I know in the DC area power outages are expected. I guess I'll make sure I have a lot of ice. I've been pretty lucky with storm power outages though.

To be fair in parts of DC metro they lose power when the wind blows (Pepco is horrible). That being said our current forcasts are saying that it has the potential to be real nasty and the East Coast is unlikely to avoid a direct hit of some sort. They still aren't sure exactly where that hit maybe though.

I need to go out tonight and get flashlights and a few other supplies just in case, because yes it does look like it could get quite evil around here. When we get more info, we may invite my in-laws to spend a few nights since they always lose power (Pepco) and we never do (not Pepco and burried lines). They won't accept, but we always feel better having offered at least.

Things that were very important to me during this past summer's prolonged power outage included: lots of drinking water, extra water for flushing toilets, lights to move around during the evening hours, food and a way to cook it, enough gas in the car to get dh to work, and a decent radio so we could find out what was going on.

Of course during the summer, fans or other ways to cool off were critical. But with this storm being in the fall, keeping warm will be the issue. Apparently one of the key things that is making it a "perfect" storm is that it also contains cold Canadian air that will cause some of the normal hurricane precipitation to turn into snow storms. I doubt it will get horrendously cold or will stay that way very long, but I would certainly make sure I had plenty of warm blankets and warm clothing rounded up and ready to go.

For anyone facing possible prolonged power outages, remember to get any important prescriptions refilled asap, and lay in a good supply of daily use things such as diapers and toilet paper. As we learned last summer, if the power is off, many stores will be on a cash only basis or will close entirely due to no lighting and cash registers not working. Gas pumps will also be shut down if there is no power, and many ATM machines will shut down or quickly be out of cash.

I don't watch or listen to the weather much so it sounds like I better start. :glare: I did see one news item from a local town warning residents to start preparing now. We lost power pretty bad from Irene but they replaced a lot of lines at that time and we haven't lost power for more than a flicker since (VERY unusual, we used to lose everytime it rained). We have a fireplace, lots of flashlights, lots of candles, lots of blankets so I'm not worried about a short outage. But we have a well so no electricity means no water.

I'm really pissed that it looks like Halloween is going to be ruined for the second year in a row. I've been putting a lot of work into the kids costumes this year.

I have buried power lines. I just reminded dh to invited his mother and sister over--they live on the other side of the Potomac and lose power all the time, for days at a time.

If you are worried about Halloween try to go to events this weekend to get some use out of the costumes before the storm hits. There are bunches of halloween events this weekend near me.

I think our Halloween will be OK. If we lose power it's the whole neighborhood and we will still have our block party because that's what we do--we had an impromptu block party while we were snow shoveling a few years back.

Latest predictions from my weather service of choice for the DC area:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/hurricane-sandy-scenarios-for-washington-dc/2012/10/25/0ebdb0f2-1ec5-11e2-9cd5-b55c38388962_blog.html

And apparently the most recent model is leaning towards the worst scenario for DC.

Bugger. Off to listen to the weather.

We are being told in NJ to get prepared. In our town the wind blows or it mists or it is a sunny day and we lose power. So our generator is ready for us and the neighbors. In Irene, we were without power for a week.

FYI- the storm has a new name here. They are calling it Frankenstorm.

Yeah, it looks like it's the hurricane, crossed with a winter storm from the west and arctic air from the North. Latest I'm seeing is 90% chance of hitting NJ.:001_huh:

Yeah, it looks like it's the hurricane, crossed with a winter storm from the west and arctic air from the North. Latest I'm seeing is 90% chance of hitting NJ.:001_huh:

Good grief. So basically, it could be a hurricane force ice storm? That sounds.. unpleasant.

Thinking of all you girls out east, hope you stay safe!! :grouphug:

Ugh. Northern VA should be FUN....not. When we had the dericho this summer we lost power for 24 hours and I thought that was bad. Hopefully we won't with this since we don't have a wood fireplace. My parents live in town on a different power line and do have a fireplace so we will survive. Off to get some ice to pack the freezer just in case!:tongue_smilie:

Bugger. Off to listen to the weather.

I'll see your bugger and raise you a $&@!?-@.

No fireplace, all electric, surrounded by trees, pepco. Good times.

Oh, man. I'm sorry. Over here we (knock wood) rarely lose power, and it had never stayed off for more than an hour or so. We're surrounded by trees, though, so that's always a concern, especially with a "hurricane force ice storm".

We do have a wood stove, so now we'll be securing the yard and bringing wood in this weekend... I have a feeling our lax tournament in PA will be canceled, huh?

We lose power here in northern va at the drop of a hat. We are basically prepared.....as much as one can be.

I am concerned about my mom who is in N.J. With my 11 year old niece in a place that will likely be hard hit......my sister and her husband are in Hawaii....they are expected to return next week. I have tasked my oldest dd who lives 20 minutes from them with packing up and going there to oversee things. My sister 's house would be a better place for my dd and her family to be in a storm anyway, and I wouldn't have to worry about my mom.

My Inlaws are another story.....my FIL has early stage Alzheimer's....my mil could not be more useless. When dh comes home, we have to talk about that situation.

Hope everyone here fares well.

Edited by MariannNOVA

If the tourney is this weekend, I think you'll be okay - just might be a little misty. Our next lax tourney is in MD in two weeks.

I'm crossing my fingers.

Lax Clash in Bel Air? Or Terp Classic? We're playing those! (I say "we". My 11yo is playing. They don't let me play, though some of her teammates are taller than me...)

At this time, Georgia seems to be the only east coast state that won't be affected. I'm glad for that, but dh's nephew's wife has a newborn and they are near the MD coast. Gosh.

Currently we aren't suppose to get much more than some rain. It won't get this far north.

We've heard "the perfect storm" forecasts here in New Jersey for next Tuesday/Wednesday, so we'll prepare for that.

Tonight I put in a request with my parents that they not travel to Philadelphia on Wednesday. They were glad I reminded them to change their appointment to another day! Next week will be rough weather here, from all we've heard.

Aw, for pete's sake!!!! :(

Well, thankfully our oven and stove are both ancient, which means no electric starters that automatically cut the gas if the starter won't spark. We'll be able to cook no matter what. I won't love losing heat if we need it. I have a bad feeling about the power. We typically don't lose it, but as I mentioned earlier, I do feel like our luck may be running out. I just asked DH if he thinks we'll need a generator, and he got annoyed. I'll have to send him the article linked earlier.

Edited by Sweet Morning Air