Menu

If you live on the East Coast

Schools are cancelled here for Monday and Tuesday. Should we homeschool, or declare a Hurrication? ;)

My husband's boss emailed the entire company to urge them all to stay safe and dry over the next few days, so hubby's appointments are cancelled.

My parents had a hospital procedure for Monday, but that's been cancelled.

So far, just rain here, but the storm has turned toward us now.

We're all caught up on laundry, dishes, vacuuming, baths/hair, clean sheets, clean everything. :)

Shelves and fridge stocked with food, water, batteries. We should be good to go, if the roof doesn't blow off.

Edited by Sahamamama

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Firefly!

Stay safe! Evacuate if you need to--- the reports are getting scary! We're up her in the northwest hills and expecting to lose power. My office is closed tomorrow, but DH's isn't--- stoopid Hartford Financial!

Hang in there everyone!

astrid

:) The chickens are snuggled up tight. My youngest dd cut up several jack-o-lanterns today, so they have pumpkin to last for quite awhile. lol I also froze a bunch of produce today, which means they have lots of green beans ends, thick spinach stems, and more bell pepper seeds that they have ever seen. :) Dh also cut down all of our giant sunflowers last week. They are living the life.:)
Wow, this sounds like Chicken Buffet Paradise. :D

I'm still waiting to see how bad it's going to get here in PA. I did get a notification that my older daughter's school is closed tomorrow, and got a recorded voicemail from my electric company (as did other people around here) saying that we might lose power for up to a week and they have extra people working and blah blah blah- I really hope that doesn't happen, we only have a very small generator here. Hopefully we have enough supplies. The latest I hear is that we are under a flood watch as of 2 AM (there's a creek right behind our house) and a high wind watch from 8 AM tomorrow on. Guess I just have to wait and see what happens!

Hey Firefly!

Stay safe! Evacuate if you need to--- the reports are getting scary! We're up her in the northwest hills and expecting to lose power. My office is closed tomorrow, but DH's isn't--- stoopid Hartford Financial!

Hang in there everyone!

astrid

Thanks Astrid-- you too! Lots of mandatory evacuations in my area but not for us-- at least not yet. We're up on a hill so hoping for the best.

That's crazy about HF! Most businesses and schools here are closed tomorrow. I hope your DH doesn't have to try to make it in tomorrow; I'm sure the roads are going to be treacherous!

We're right in the middle of where it's supposed to be the worst but I think we're prepared. We aren't in a flood zone but the wind has me worried about trees coming down.

I'm still seeing references about the hurricane merging with the Arctic air/winter storm but I'm not seeing when that's expected or what the result will be. Has anyone seen anything explaining what's going on with that? The temperatures I'm seeing for the next 5 days aren't getting below the low 40's.

We're right in the middle of where it's supposed to be the worst but I think we're prepared. We aren't in a flood zone but the wind has me worried about trees coming down.

I'm still seeing references about the hurricane merging with the Arctic air/winter storm but I'm not seeing when that's expected or what the result will be. Has anyone seen anything explaining what's going on with that? The temperatures I'm seeing for the next 5 days aren't getting below the low 40's.

Most of the snow is going to stay west into WV, western MD and for the most part staying in the mountains. There are blizzard warnings in the mountains with high wind warnings on the coast.

Wow, this sounds like Chicken Buffet Paradise. :D

:) We do space out the goodies. The sunflower heads are drying right now. Those are for the dead of winter. I hang them in the pens. Hens have a good time with that, and gives them something to do when it's snowing.

I put big chunks of pumpkin in the pens tonight so they will have a bit of fun tomorrow if we can't let them out. :)

Edited by LibraryLover

Kind of interesting. So did they make all the kids leave? I'm in the area. It won't be fun but I don't think we will have major damage. Glad she had some where safe to go not too far away.

the local paper is the Daily press and Station is Wavy.com if you want to check out things.

They did make all the kids leave. They seem to have more problems with flooding on campus than anything else. So, I'm guessing that's why. I think the William and Mary kids are staying put.

And, thanks for the local paper and news station!

It's morning here and we still have power, but we're also just starting to get the storm. Yes, we had rain and a little bit of wind yesterday, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I hope all are well. We're as set as we can be - and we started the board games last night playing Countdown (and old space NASA game).

We have one young cat who comes in to eat, but otherwise likes to go right back out in the morning. He opted to stay in today... I wonder why? ;) We have another who stays in most of the time and is in - and another who loves the great outdoors. He's still out - probably camped out in our barn.

I'm glad we don't have a dog to walk!

We'll see what happens as the day goes on. I expect updates as you can make them...

No water. I'm still hoping it's back on before the storm really gets here.

Losing water is the worst. In C-ville, we were on well water and so losing power was a challenge. One winter we lost it for about five days and literally hauled water up from the creek to flush potties. Ugh. Being without power is sort of fun for about 24 hours, I think. But after that, it gets old, old, old.

Nothing much going on in PA here yet. It's raining but not heavily. It looks breezy but not crazy windy. We have our power, water, etc. Hoping it stays that way. We're still under a Flood Watch until tomorrow afternoon, and a High Wind Warning is in effect until 9 AM tomorrow.

According to Excite:

Today

High: 55

Rain. Rain may be heavy at times. Strong winds with highs in the mid 50s. North winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph...increasing to 40 to 50 mph with gusts up to 65 mph this afternoon. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Tonight

Low: 45

Rain. Rain may be heavy at times. Strong winds with lows in the mid 40s. North winds 45 to 55 mph...becoming northeast 40 to 50 mph after midnight. Gusts up to 70 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Here in SEPA the rain has really picked up in the last 30 to 60 mins. Pretty breezy earlier this morning, not too bad now, but I guess lots more on the way. It is crazy to watch the weather reports for NJ, Delaware, etc. at the beach where there is already flooding and beach erosion, and the storm is still waaaay far away.

We are having a real cold wave here with lows expected tonight around freezing and highs only in the high 40's or low 50's (more than 20 degrees below normal). Our wind is supposed to be picking up after 10am. I am just watching tv reporting and it is already very impressive even with the storm still far away from the coast.

It's raining, but not hard. There's a nice breeze, and it smells fresh, like the ocean. :) We have water, power, clear roads. So far, so good, but it hasn't hit the coast yet (from what the weather stations report). Our prayers go out to all you coastal people. :grouphug:

We are working on Native American History Pockets this morning, moving onto Read Alouds and board games for the afternoon. If our electricity holds out, we have all of Liberty's Kids from the library. That and popcorn, what could be better? :D

Hurricane Sandy Homeschooling!

Here in SEPA the rain has really picked up in the last 30 to 60 mins. Pretty breezy earlier this morning, not too bad now, but I guess lots more on the way. It is crazy to watch the weather reports for NJ, Delaware, etc. at the beach where there is already flooding and beach erosion, and the storm is still waaaay far away.

:iagree:We just said that, too! I think the storm is something like 300 miles away, but the flooding and erosion have started already. What's it going to be like when it actually HITS? :001_huh:

I hope any coastal people here have moved further inland. :grouphug:

Stone Harbor, NJ This was 96th and 3rd early this morning. Stone Harbor is scheduled to receive a direct hit, but not for another 8 hours.

securedownload?mid=2_0_0_1_13518145_AKDbi2IAAQW0UI5u2gQoX3F8qZY&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&cred=H.VLTJqQIe8xjU9IytpzuwdQIIv83BJeBxSmdwyRWAqtMUXuApRuuz8.4TIbOw.IQqQPpnPe9.bx8hKNqiRutbL3ohcKL3Lz7qJPB9artIg-&ts=1351521958&partner=ymail&sig=QzWhdWeVq.fsZ57vxBtszw--

Cool pic! And the storm is still a bit off the coast of VA... I hope y'all are safe. The rain is picking up here, but still nothing major IF we didn't know what was supposed to be coming.

They did make all the kids leave. They seem to have more problems with flooding on campus than anything else. So, I'm guessing that's why. I think the William and Mary kids are staying put.

And, thanks for the local paper and news station!

you are welcome.

I'll have to pay more attention to what they say about it.

well I'm in the area if there is something I might be able to do for her.

Yeah, this morning they showed a clip on GMA of two people reporting from the beach (NJ or Delaware I think?) and one got knocked over pretty badly in the water. And that's with the storm way far out there yet. Sam Champion said they shouldn't try to time the waves and report in between, but that's what they were doing. With the erosion, not easy to just hop out of the way necessarily either!

I really hope they don't do the stupid thing and keep having them in danger to show us how bad it is. I believe it, even if you just show me out a hotel window what the waves look like :glare:

Just got back from running errands here just north of DC. Lots of rain. The winds are not too bad. However, my gutters are already filled again. I'm keeping an eye on them to make sure they don't start overflowing. How fun to be cleaning gutters in a hurricane :glare:

No problem getting gas at the gas station. I'm so glad I kept an eye on the weather reports and waited. I heard from friends that the lines for gas were ridiculous all weekend.

I just realized we are right in the path of storm in NY. It will arrive later this evening.

Bummer we are going to miss the presentation of 4 different owl species at the nature center. I hope they postpone it instead of outright cancel it.

We are all prepared except I need to fill the bath tubs so we have water to flush the toilets.

The wind and rain are picking up but we still have power. It is supposed to worsen through the night.

DH had to go in this morning :glare: but is on his way home now. He emailed that I-84 is down to 45 mph so it will take him longer. It is a 45 minute commute already. I just want him home safely.

:grouphug: to everyone is the other areas battling this storm.

Mandatory evacs here. The area across the street from us, which slopes down (the reason we can't see the water unless we stand on the roof) to the harbor a quarter mile away, has been told to evacuate. So far, we can stay, as we're higher up. Still, I'm going to have the kids pack a few things, in case they do tell us to get out.

It's scary to see how many cars are coming down our street (we are surrounded by water- estuaries, beachfront, marshes etc) leaving the area. I wondered why they hadn't closed the harbor bridge yet...they need it to evacuate. The wind is really howling, too.

Do you have somewhere to go? I just can't imagine :grouphug:.

Okay, so Sara Maria is getting ready to leave C-ville to head back to Newport News. CNU remains closed, but she has a friend who has a house right near the college with a bed for her. This is one of the reasons. She had a miserable night on the floor of her sister's dorm room. Also, the catering company she works for helps with disaster relief, and she wants to do that. Mostly, I think she just wants to get back. I understand, although I wish she would stay in C-ville. And, I don't think it's going to be too bad there in Newport News... Those in the Newport News area, what do you think? TIA!

In related news, JUST ths morning it dawned on me that I could also store extra water in my washing machine! Woot!

I've lived in Houston almost my entire life and never once thought about storing extra water in the washing machine. What a great idea!

Each and every one of y'all are in my prayers.