Menu

If you live on the East Coast

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw crud. Time to round up all the flashlights and get all the batteries charged again. The girls saw the news at a friend's house and came home worried about the storm. I told them it was nothing we had to worry about. I really hope I'm right! We were very lucky during Irene, but I'm afraid to bet on being so lucky this time.

I guess I'll be hitting the grocery store for some staples today, since we have little in the house at the moment.

Whoops adding the flashlights to the prep I'm already planning on for tomorrow.

Geez Louise. I did not need this.

anyway. we are prepping here. they are warning us in VA east coast area to be prepared.

We lose power here in northern va at the drop of a hat. We are basically prepared.....as much as one can be.

My Inlaws are another story.....my FIL has early stage Alzheimer's....my mil could not be more useless. When dh comes home, we have to talk about that situation.

Hope everyone here fares well.

oh man I am so sorry that is the tough one. difficult issues can make that situation worse. I know that is one thing that happened to my parents. Praying they will be okay.

We brought back the Halloween candy. Another Halloween washout! :glare:

Cleaning the house, making sure the laundry is done, have matches and candles, some food cooked and in the fridge.

Otherwise than that, nothing. This house has been here many years. We're right next to a hospital, so we're the last to lose power.

We have an artisan well in the basement.

We're good.

We're on the eastern shore of MD (it's that little piece of MD that wrap around the south and west sides of DE). We're worried. It looks like it could be a direct or near direct hit for us. We don't usually get those. The flooding I'm not so worried about personally (though I know it will be bad for others) as I am worried about the wind. We live in the woods under some enormous trees. And I do mean under. If our house gets taken out, we are homeless. :crying:

The State of DE posted an interesting tip I had not considered.

If you have solar powered walkway lights, they can become temporary indoor lighting for you at night if you need it during a power outage. Just bring them indoors at night, then poke them back in the ground again the next morning to recharge.

The State of DE posted an interesting tip I had not considered.

If you have solar powered walkway lights, they can become temporary indoor lighting for you at night if you need it during a power outage. Just bring them indoors at night, then poke them back in the ground again the next morning to recharge.

I heard this tip during the last big storm we had. I also heard (and used!) this tip - freeze gallon jugs of water before the storm, then you can use them to keep the food in your freezer/refrigerator cold if the power is out for a while. And when they melt, you can drink them :)

I'm getting groceries tonight.

Can anyone remind me how long a chest freezer will stay cold if fully packed (mostly with ice) for things I'd normally keep in the fridge? I'm mostly worried about milk for ds and coffee creamer for my sanity.

EVERY YEAR we say we're going to get a generator. :glare:

Our news this morning had us in line for a likely direct hit. We're not coastal, but many places around us flood. With Irene we got some really neat pictures and school was closed for a day. Time will tell for this one. We have a generator and oil lamps.

If this one comes I think it will make the third storm of a century to hit here since we've been here (16 years). :glare:

We'll be cleaning the outdoors tomorrow and shopping as soon as I get home from school today. I suppose, whether it comes or not, those will be good things to have done. Of course, youngest is also taking the ACT tomorrow morning. He'll be happy to miss the "work day." :tongue_smilie:

Call me cynical, but I think the news people are tired of talking about the elections.

Has anyone seen this graph:

http://my.sfwmd.gov/sfwmd/common/images/weather/plots/storm_18.gif

it says to me that, at this point, it's anyone guess where the hurricane will end up.

Yeah, but the lines track the center of the storm, so you have to draw a circle thingy around each line to get the full scope, and if you do that pretty much all of them hit me one way or another. :glare: But you're right - those news folks do love a big storm!

We'll be cleaning the outdoors tomorrow and shopping as soon as I get home from school today. I suppose, whether it comes or not, those will be good things to have done.

Yeah, I figure most of the things on the prep list need to be done anyway. Make sure the summer stuff outside is put away, check the pantry for PB&J (turns out my PB was recalled for salmonella - glad I checked!), take inventory of the battery stock, get new lamp wicks, check the gutters, get stuff off the basement floor, make sure I'm caught up on laundry, etc. It's all good prep for winter in general. And if I stock up on groceries now, I can avoid shopping later when everyone else will be, which is a good thing regardless. Then when the storm comes, I can sit back and not stress.

So I live in Virginia now, although far from the coast, and I'm trying to figure out if this storm could affect us. I'm completely inexperienced with hurricanes so I don't know how to determine if my town (we're about two hours SW of DC) would even be affected by this. It seems that we should plan for some not-too-unreasonable rain and wind and possibly power outages, but that's all. We have plenty of food and a wood stove and firewood, although we don't have much water stored.

I know the forecasts are still really iffy at this point, and I'm not worried, but I'd rather take some reasonable precautions today if that's a good idea. Any advice?

So I live in Virginia now, although far from the coast, and I'm trying to figure out if this storm could affect us. I'm completely inexperienced with hurricanes so I don't know how to determine if my town (we're about two hours SW of DC) would even be affected by this. It seems that we should plan for some not-too-unreasonable rain and wind and possibly power outages, but that's all. We have plenty of food and a wood stove and firewood, although we don't have much water stored.

I know the forecasts are still really iffy at this point, and I'm not worried, but I'd rather take some reasonable precautions today if that's a good idea. Any advice?

Think about what you'd like to do to prepare for not having power, for high winds, and for not wanting to leave the house for a day or two. So do some basic outdoor clean-up (which you probably need to do this time of year anyway) and put away things that might blow around or get damaged by rain, make sure your gutters/downspouts are set up correctly, pick stuff up off your basement floor in case of flooding, get some PBJ or other no-cook food (handy to have in general), fill some clean, empty containers with clean water and put them in your freezer to help keep it cold in case of power outage, think about light (e.g. flashlights, lanterns), catch up on your laundry (power), fill or purchase some water bottles, put gas in your car, have some cash on hand, charge your cell phone. If there is no storm, you're caught up with your chores and can have a relaxing few days. If you do have wind, rain, and/or power outages, you're prepared and can take them in stride.

Here's the current 5-day forecast map. Supposedly the real path can vary anywhere within the colored region, but where they have the center is their "best guess" at this point.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201218_5day.html

Here are the computer models. The white line is the average of these, not any one particular model.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201218_ensmodel.html

Think about what you'd like to do to prepare for not having power, for high winds, and for not wanting to leave the house for a day or two. So do some basic outdoor clean-up (which you probably need to do this time of year anyway) and put away things that might blow around or get damaged by rain, make sure your gutters/downspouts are set up correctly, pick stuff up off your basement floor in case of flooding, get some PBJ or other no-cook food (handy to have in general), fill some clean, empty containers with clean water and put them in your freezer to help keep it cold in case of power outage, think about light (e.g. flashlights, lanterns), catch up on your laundry (power), fill or purchase some water bottles, put gas in your car, have some cash on hand, charge your cell phone. If there is no storm, you're caught up with your chores and can have a relaxing few days. If you do have wind, rain, and/or power outages, you're prepared and can take them in stride.

Everything askPauline said. To emphasize (having been through a few of these in Virginia):

Have cash on hand

Fill you car with gas and, if possible, have some extra gas jugs filled

Do your laundry. You won't have power to wash and will need clean clothes

Have water on hand for drinking and washing

Have food on hand that doesn't require cooking or refrigeration (PB&J sandwiches, for example)

Charge your phone, your laptop, your Kindle

Have a car charger (or a power inverter) so that you can recharge electronics

Everything askPauline said. To emphasize (having been through a few of these in Virginia):

Have cash on hand

Fill you car with gas and, if possible, have some extra gas jugs filled

Do your laundry. You won't have power to wash and will need clean clothes

Have water on hand for drinking and washing

Have food on hand that doesn't require cooking or refrigeration (PB&J sandwiches, for example)

Charge your phone, your laptop, your Kindle

Have a car charger (or a power inverter) so that you can recharge electronics

Thanks Hopscotch and askPauline.

Here's the current 5-day forecast map. Supposedly the real path can vary anywhere within the colored region, but where they have the center is their "best guess" at this point.

Here are the computer models. The white line is the average of these, not any one particular model.

Okay, now I'm officially scared! :tongue_smilie:

I just placed my "shop from home" order and pick ups (which are usually from 4 hours after clicking) were 7 hours after clicking. At least I don't have to brave the crowds!

Okay, now I'm officially scared! :tongue_smilie:

I just placed my "shop from home" order and pick ups (which are usually from 4 hours after clicking) were 7 hours after clicking. At least I don't have to brave the crowds!

Yeah, we're directly in line with their best guess at the moment, so I plan on being prepared. If they're wrong, then being prepared won't hurt us. If they're right, then the power is likely to go out and several places around us will flood (not us, specifically). It could be difficult to go places or get anything for a day or two.

It's times like this when I'm really glad we have a generator we keep filled up. I believe we need to fill an extra tank or two for backup.

You're closer to the coast than us... I hope all goes well there!

Yeah, we're directly in line with their best guess at the moment, so I plan on being prepared. If they're wrong, then being prepared won't hurt us. If they're right, then the power is likely to go out and several places around us will flood (not us, specifically). It could be difficult to go places or get anything for a day or two.

It's times like this when I'm really glad we have a generator we keep filled up. I believe we need to fill an extra tank or two for backup.

You're closer to the coast than us... I hope all goes well there!

Thanks, you too!

If we get ice on top of the mountain, I'm pretty sure we're toast. For the very first time, dh is as nervous as I am, and he's checking to see if he can snag a generator!

I'm in the Hampton Roads are of VA (southern tip, almost in NC) and we're getting somethings together because you just never know. Also they are moving a lot of the ships from the Navy base, so if they are doing that I'm going to make sure we're prepared. I picked up water today, and plan to round up the flashlights later to make sure we know where they all are and that they are in working order.

I'm seeing a mix of reports on severity. They do seem a bit toned down from last night's forecast. I got a kick out of the Frankenstorm headline. I'm prepping my basement by getting stuff off the floor where I can. Dh is making hotel reservations in case we lose power for a significant amount of time. Last year we lost power for a few days, and it really affected our business. The hotels fill up fast when power goes out around here, so we want to be prepared. Hopefully we can get a generator soon! We are pretty well stocked in basic needs so I'm not worried beyond being able to work. It looks like the tickets we bought for Blaze in NY on Monday may be wasted though.:glare:

I have to go to the store for a regular trip :( So not looking forward to that!

I did freeze one of dh's five gallon water containers (from home brewing) to keep the chest freezer cold should we lose power. Our little area didn't lose power from Irene despite the downed trees and flooding---we have buried utilities---but it's best to be prepared :)

Hey I like your links. They aren't drawing a path right over my town like many of the others are. :)

Aw, for pete's sake!!!! :(

Well, thankfully our oven and stove are both ancient, which means no electric starters that automatically cut the gas if the starter won't spark. We'll be able to cook no matter what. I won't love losing heat if we need it. I have a bad feeling about the power. We typically don't lose it, but as I mentioned earlier, I do feel like our luck may be running out. I just asked DH if he thinks we'll need a generator, and he got annoyed. I'll have to send him the article linked earlier.

A generator saved us more than once. We were able to hook up the fridge and even the coffee machine :001_smile: without which it would have been a dim morning in many ways.

We used to live in a rural area that lost power frequently at the slightest disturbance. We did have a gas stove that needed electricity to spark but I could light it using matches. A wood stove took care of heat.

Yeah, but the lines track the center of the storm, so you have to draw a circle thingy around each line to get the full scope, and if you do that pretty much all of them hit me one way or another. :glare: But you're right - those news folks do love a big storm!

Yeah, I figure most of the things on the prep list need to be done anyway. Make sure the summer stuff outside is put away, check the pantry for PB&J (turns out my PB was recalled for salmonella - glad I checked!), take inventory of the battery stock, get new lamp wicks, check the gutters, get stuff off the basement floor, make sure I'm caught up on laundry, etc. It's all good prep for winter in general. And if I stock up on groceries now, I can avoid shopping later when everyone else will be, which is a good thing regardless. Then when the storm comes, I can sit back and not stress.

Our grocery store was crazy, and water jugs sold out.

We bought a generator this summer to power the refrigerator and some small things. It was inexpensive and got great reviews.

We have a large water cooler we plan to fill. I will also make sure all laundry is done tonight.

We can use the crockpot, grill, and microwave. I had my husband buy hot dogs, hamburger meat, a couple bags of soup you mix with water, extra milk, some water bottles, canned baked beans, etc. If I can handle it tonight, I plan to cook some chicken breasts to be able to eat cold on bread or microwaved.

My husband still needs to bring in some things from the lawn.

I'm in the Hampton Roads are of VA (southern tip, almost in NC) and we're getting somethings together because you just never know. Also they are moving a lot of the ships from the Navy base, so if they are doing that I'm going to make sure we're prepared. I picked up water today, and plan to round up the flashlights later to make sure we know where they all are and that they are in working order.

Yes, we still need to just gather supplies for ease of find. I wish we had another battery-operated lantern. I'm buying one when this storm is over -- maybe two.

We have an inground pool and with all the rain we will have plenty of water for flushing toilets. I did grab 4 gallons and a case of bottles water along with some canned goods. DH got a power converter for the car so we can plug in a coffee maker and a microwave if need be. Since we live in town we are first to get power back so I don't worry much about it. I can't see more than 36 hours since we have never been more than 18 in the 10 years we have lived here.

We have had rain and wind for the last 2 days here in S. Florida. Its been steady 18-20 winds with 38-48 + gusts. Beautiful out now with all my windows open. Such a change. This storm had a lot of lightning in it yesterday...today we just have wind. And we are just outside the warning zone. It has been very heavy rains.

I cant imagine the combo of being in cold weather with this thing. I would prepare if it is headed your way. Definitely bring your plants & furniture in from outside...lots of flashlights.

Hey I like your links. They aren't drawing a path right over my town like many of the others are. :)

Hmm, let's switch and maybe it won't hit either of us! :lol:

I seriously feel ready. There weren't any more people at our store than normal for a Friday afternoon (probably will be more tomorrow). We bought $100 worth of gas. We have plenty of water since we have our own well and the generator to work the pump.

Now it will probably be a non-issue for us... but everything we have we can use and it's good to have some of it for the upcoming winter anyway.

Oh, and we got steak for supper tonight... steak and mushrooms... a nice treat!

I've decided to live in denial. I'm in central MD. Our power lines are underground and we have gas heat, so we usually keep power. If it goes out, all of the scrambling to find camping gear and cook in the fireplace will keep me busy for a few days. We could also stand to eat up the food that is IN the house. My pantry could use a good, purging storm.

I do need to dig out my window wells and get some stuff off the basement floor.

According to http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/poweroutage/needtoknow.asp

"For the Freezer section: A freezer that is half full will hold food safely for up to 24 hours. A full freezer will hold food safely for 48 hours. Do not open the freezer door if you can avoid it."

Our refrigerator broke down last week, so we are still trying to fill the new one up!

Thanks for this thread. We didn't know why we needed to fill our bathtub. and now I know it can be used for flushing toilets, etc. My bathroom needs cleaning... nothing like a perfect nudge from a perfect storm :-)

I'm getting groceries tonight.

Can anyone remind me how long a chest freezer will stay cold if fully packed (mostly with ice) for things I'd normally keep in the fridge? I'm mostly worried about milk for ds and coffee creamer for my sanity.

EVERY YEAR we say we're going to get a generator. :glare:

From these models it looks like Sandy will be going straight over my house.

Thanks!

Just saw the 11:00 map. I think I'll go cry now!

I'll join you. I'm in the north east corner of MD and it does not look pretty . Now some of the models are deciding that after days of rain and wind, dumping an inch of snow on top of eastern PA and northern MD would be a great way to top off the week. I hope that doesn't verify.

University of Del has cancelled classes for Monday and are encouraging the students to go home. My daughter will be coming home - and perhaps bringing a friend or two. I haven't heard about Un. of Md. Baltimore Campus yet. I expect they may wait a little longer since it's mostly a commuter campus, but I have one son living there.

According to http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/poweroutage/needtoknow.asp

"For the Freezer section: A freezer that is half full will hold food safely for up to 24 hours. A full freezer will hold food safely for 48 hours. Do not open the freezer door if you can avoid it."

Our refrigerator broke down last week, so we are still trying to fill the new one up!

An easy way to fill the freezer is to put water into clean juice bottles and freeze them (now!). They won't make a mess as they melt, and you can drink the water, so it serves double duty. I've been keeping a few squarish bottles in mine (from those expensive ready-to-drink smoothies); I use them now and again in my cooler. I like them because they stack nicely.

We have our flood watch up now, but the current report has moved the expected course a little to the east of us, so are telling us to expect 4 inches of rain rather than the 6 they had listed.

We'll see how it goes. It would be nice if this storm ends up tamer all around, but I don't know if that will happen.

Take care everyone! We're off to the ACT (college entrance test) soon.