Menu

If you live on the East Coast

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so Sara Maria is getting ready to leave C-ville to head back to Newport News. CNU remains closed, but she has a friend who has a house right near the college with a bed for her. This is one of the reasons. She had a miserable night on the floor of her sister's dorm room. Also, the catering company she works for helps with disaster relief, and she wants to do that. Mostly, I think she just wants to get back. I understand, although I wish she would stay in C-ville. And, I don't think it's going to be too bad there in Newport News... Those in the Newport News area, what do you think? TIA!

Yikes! Tell her to be careful on the roads! These gusts are getting strong!

Mandatory evacs here. The area across the street from us, which slopes down (the reason we can't see the water unless we stand on the roof) to the harbor a quarter mile away, has been told to evacuate. So far, we can stay, as we're higher up. Still, I'm going to have the kids pack a few things, in case they do tell us to get out.

It's scary to see how many cars are coming down our street (we are surrounded by water- estuaries, beachfront, marshes etc) leaving the area. I wondered why they hadn't closed the harbor bridge yet...they need it to evacuate. The wind is really howling, too.

:grouphug: Oh no! I hope you have somewhere to go? Which state are you in?

Be safe. :grouphug:

Okay, so Sara Maria is getting ready to leave C-ville to head back to Newport News. CNU remains closed, but she has a friend who has a house right near the college with a bed for her. This is one of the reasons. She had a miserable night on the floor of her sister's dorm room. Also, the catering company she works for helps with disaster relief, and she wants to do that. Mostly, I think she just wants to get back. I understand, although I wish she would stay in C-ville. And, I don't think it's going to be too bad there in Newport News... Those in the Newport News area, what do you think? TIA!

She should be fine. Did you check my links?

here is Newport news

https://www.facebook.com/CityofNewportNews?fref=ts

I have a friend up that way. Let me see if she has anything else. how far away is the friend's house?

I'm going to pm you too.

Nono is in NJ on the coast. I have a very dear friend who also lives on the NJ coast. The pics sent already are terrifying. If he hasn't left, there's no way out now.

I just got home from the feed store. :glare: did i know we needed pig grain? Dd and dh soak the pig food. :cursing: I had a tree fall right in front of my car and was dodging trees and branches the entire way home.

I'm going out to shut the animals and do evening barn chores now so I don't have to walk under the trees again later.

It's bad out there. I hope LL left her home, and I hope everyone else is safe!

I hear it's sleeting in Central VA. Who else is getting snow, sleet, etc.?

We are in the Appalachian section of Ohio (lower elevation). We have had light to moderate rain since Saturday evening. It is picking up a little now and our forecast for tonight and tomorrow am includes sleet and snow, however the temps are fairly warm so I doubt much accumulation will occur. I am more concerned about wind. We have lost power a few times so far, but only for a few minutes at a time.

It has started to get pretty windy here. DH's work is closing at 3.

I'm listening to a violin CD my BIL sent me. So between the wind, swaying colorful trees, and my cat howling it's kinda dramatic feeling. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: I'll have to try the violin music, and see what effect it has on the drama of this day.

Your poor cat! :D Wind is picking up here quite a bit, colorful trees are swaying, the (mostly stray) cat is hidden somewhere under the front porch and won't come out. We saw him this morning, though, when he showed up for his breakfast. The girls thought he was a porcupine, LOL, he's so wet and spiky.

In other news, my husband was going nuts from the girls being cooped up in our little house all morning, so he declared they would have to go down for a nap. According to him, this is perfect nap weather.

He said, "Are your children driving you crazy? There's a NAP for that." :lol:

We went over to my parents' house to check on them and bring in stuff from the yard. I'm surprised at how many people around here still have stuff outside. BRING IN YOUR STUFF, or it will turn into missiles.

The storm is on its way, we could feel the change around 3 pm. I think it's going to make landfall in Atlantic City around 6 pm. Hang on!

We went over to my parents' house to check on them and bring in stuff from the yard. I'm surprised at how many people around here still have stuff outside. BRING IN YOUR STUFF, or it will turn into missiles.

on!

Me too!! That was one of the first things I did this morning, bring in and secure stuff outside!!

Nono is in NJ on the coast. I have a very dear friend who also lives on the NJ coast. The pics sent already are terrifying. If he hasn't left, there's no way out now.

I just got home from the feed store. :glare: did i know we needed pig grain? Dd and dh soak the pig food. :cursing: I had a tree fall right in front of my car and was dodging trees and branches the entire way home.

I'm going out to shut the animals and do evening barn chores now so I don't have to walk under the trees again later.

It's bad out there. I hope LL left her home, and I hope everyone else is safe!

Glad you are safe! Yeah, nono has me a bit worried, but I am choosing to light a candle, pray, and believe she left when she could.

I think we're just starting to get more now... our local news mentioned several local places being out of power. We still have ours, but no idea for how long as the wind and rain have just picked up.

I'm really glad we don't have to go anywhere. School is closed for tomorrow too, so no need to get up early to go to work.

I hope all in the path stay safe!

She should be fine. Did you check my links?

here is Newport news

https://www.facebook.com/CityofNewportNews?fref=ts

I have a friend up that way. Let me see if she has anything else. how far away is the friend's house?

I'm going to pm you too.

ZooRho, thanks SO much. She just called and is safely there. I am following the news too. Thanks for the links!

Glad you are safe! Yeah, nono has me a bit worried, but I am choosing to light a candle, pray, and believe she left when she could.

I've been thinking about nono, too, and Jeannie in NJ. We're about an hour inland from them and the wind is really picking up. The pictures I saw of the shore at high tide this morning were unbelievable. I think the next high tide is at 8 pm and the winds should be raging until about midnight. Those directly on the coast will need our prayers.

Thinking of all of you in Sandy's path. :grouphug:

I live in a suburb of Philly - anticipating a loud night. Dh is on a business trip in sunny Austin, Texas. Of course. :)

I made a few dinners in advance. Coolers are ready. Laundry is done. I am very grateful that we still have electricity.

Edited by lisabees

My dh is military and he has always been on a TDY when we were having horrible, horrible weather in either FL (two tropical storms- one really, really bad one) and in VA (Mega snow storms and ice storms- the ones that gave us more snow than normal ski locations get including the winter we got more snow than Buffalo, NY does normally). :grouphug::grouphug: and prayers for all of you in harms way.

Sandy has been downgraded from a hurricane to a storm, so that is good news.

How is everyone doing? We are doing well in MA, I am afraid to say the worst is over...but I think it is. I am just happy to be sitting here warm and cozy, still with power. That is not how I thought this would play out.

And I can't believe it is only 7:30. :001_huh: This has been the longest.day.EVER!

Sandy has been downgraded from a hurricane to a storm, so that is good news.

How is everyone doing? We are doing well in MA, I am afraid to say the worst is over...but I think it is. I am just happy to be sitting here warm and cozy, still with power. That is not how I thought this would play out.

And I can't believe it is only 7:30. :001_huh: This has been the longest.day.EVER!

No it hasn't. It's become a "post tropical cyclone" which means the eye is cold instead of warm, but the winds are still 90mph.

I doubt your worst is over. They're predicting it coming inland and turning left to go straight up the coast. If it hasn't already, it will be making landfall shortly.

I am in MD just north of DC in Silver Spring. It has been raining all.day.long with steady winds right around 40 miles per hour with gusts up towards 60 every now and again. Some of my neighbors have some water coming in, but so far we are doing okay. The rain and wind is very steady, though, and don't have any signs of letting up anytime soon!

I am in MD just north of DC in Silver Spring. It has been raining all.day.long with steady winds right around 40 miles per hour with gusts up towards 60 every now and again. Some of my neighbors have some water coming in, but so far we are doing okay. The rain and wind is very steady, though, and don't have any signs of letting up anytime soon!

hey - we're neighbors! Yes, the rain has been non-stop. We live at the top of a hill and the way our house is situated I think we're pretty safe from the worst of the winds that may come.

It's pouring here in Manassas and the wind is howling. I think gusting at 50mph. It will get quiet and then just slam the side of the house. I'll be so glad for Wednesday to get here. Our neighbors two houses down had to cut down a tree late this afternoon. At least we still have power. :001_smile:

hey - we're neighbors! Yes, the rain has been non-stop. We live at the top of a hill and the way our house is situated I think we're pretty safe from the worst of the winds that may come.

Yay! I love making new friends! :) I am glad you are up and out of the way. We are doing okay right now too. I anticipate the power to go out (yay Pepco) but so far, we are hanging in there!

Stay safe!