Menu

If you live on the East Coast

Awe. Some. This link has the 2am Tuesday forecast right on our house.

Off to the library to stock up! I did the other shopping yesterday. Now all I need is to catch up on laundry and bake a few dozen muffins.

For those with gas heat, do your furnaces still work without power? Even our thermostat needs power to turn on the furnace, which needs power to blow the warm air. So having gas heat means nothing when our power is out. Even our gas water heater won't switch on without power, so we get to use whatever hot water is in there, and then we're out of luck.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awe. Some. This link has the 2am Tuesday forecast right on our house.

Off to the library to stock up! I did the other shopping yesterday. Now all I need is to catch up on laundry and bake a few dozen muffins.

For those with gas heat, do your furnaces still work without power? Even our thermostat needs power to turn on the furnace, which needs power to blow the warm air. So having gas heat means nothing when our power is out. Even our gas water heater won't switch on without power, so we get to use whatever hot water is in there, and then we're out of luck.

Our gas hot water is a no frills kind so it works without power. Our gas hot water heat needs power for it to circulator. But we have a fireplace and a generator so we are ok.

According to that projection, we will be affected from Monday AM straight through Thursday AM. :glare:

Our propane furnace doesn't work without power. We do have a fireplace so will be able to keep warm if necessary (has anyone seen what temperatures are expected during all this?). We have an old propane stove so we can manually light the burners and cook. No hot water, no water at all since we have a well with an electrically operated pump.

We were going to buy a whole-house generator after last years storms but it was going to be a couple months before the electrician could come and it was dropped in all the chaos of Christmas and dh getting laid off. Now there isn't a generator available for 100 miles.

We are being told that it has been downgraded to a tropical storm, so not the worst we've seen, but that it is covering a very large area.

It is a hurricane and has been since this afternoon. Yes, a category 1 but still a hurricane. Apparently the bad part is when it combines with the cold front that is now across the east coast. That's where the storm got it's nickname.

It is a hurricane and has been since this afternoon. Yes, a category 1 but still a hurricane. Apparently the bad part is when it combines with the cold front that is now across the east coast. That's where the storm got it's nickname.

Yes, this is when the storm should be its worst.

Popping in for a little check-in with WTM gals on the East Coast. My oldest daughter has been evacuated from Christopher Newport University in Newport News, VA. I love this quote from CNUAlert:

"Make sure you have the textbooks and other academic materials you’ll need…you’ll still have assignments due upon your return...Don’t make the mistake of thinking of this as a “Hurri-cation.”"

She's heading to C-ville to stay with her sis at UVA. Glad they'll be together, but I do wish they were with us in NC.

I don't think that they'll feel too much, but for you gals in the NE corridor, please keep us updated, as you're able.

Annnnnd we have rain in Central MD (OK, it may have started an hour ago. I was reading and don't remember. So far, it's just normal rain. Nothing fancy. DH is sitting outside. He likes to do that when storms come in. I'm upstairs because it's warmer and he has the slide open. :glare:

Annnnnd we have rain in Central MD (OK, it may have started an hour ago. I was reading and don't remember. So far, it's just normal rain. Nothing fancy. DH is sitting outside. He likes to do that when storms come in. I'm upstairs because it's warmer and he has the slide open. :glare:

Wow. Really? It's been raining here (mid-shore, about 4 miles from DE) all day. Still nothing fancy, though.

Popping in for a little check-in with WTM gals on the East Coast. My oldest daughter has been evacuated from Christopher Newport University in Newport News, VA. I love this quote from CNUAlert:

"Make sure you have the textbooks and other academic materials you’ll need…you’ll still have assignments due upon your return...Don’t make the mistake of thinking of this as a “Hurri-cation.â€"

She's heading to C-ville to stay with her sis at UVA. Glad they'll be together, but I do wish they were with us in NC.

I don't think that they'll feel too much, but for you gals in the NE corridor, please keep us updated, as you're able.

Hi Cindy- Just wind here in Cville. Fluvanna, Nelson, Louisa, Greene, Madison, ORange, and Rockingham county school districts have all announced closures for tomorrow. Albemarle is holding out, but we're surrounded! ;)

I think we should all be fine, but please let me know if your daughters need anything!

Hi Cindy- Just wind here in Cville. Fluvanna, Nelson, Louisa, Greene, Madison, ORange, and Rockingham county school districts have all announced closures for tomorrow. Albemarle is holding out, but we're surrounded! ;)

I think we should all be fine, but please let me know if your daughters need anything!

Not surprised that Albemarle is holding out ... Thank you! Sara Maria was getting some water, but is pretty much just planning on cozying up with her sis. If they get in a bind, I will get in touch!

We're in MA. It has been raining off and on most of the day and has been a bit windy. Nothing too out of the ordinary. Yet.

But all of the schools are cancelled and DH just got an email that his office is closed tomorrow. Ugh. That is when things get serious, when WORK is cancelled. I hope it isn't too bad. But just in case we have cash, a ton of water, and lots of snacks. Nothing like a hurricane to make us indulge in the bad stuff.

And Cindy, I love the message from your DD's school....Hurri-cation! :lol: That's hilarious! And that is how I would have been thinking if I were still in college! :001_smile:

And Cindy, I love the message from your DD's school....Hurri-cation! :lol: That's hilarious! And that is how I would have been thinking if I were still in college! :001_smile:

:)

And bzymom, where are you getting your updates? And most importantly, do you have wine in the house? If not, hie thee to the grocery store pronto Squanto before the wind kicks up!

:)

And bzymom, where are you getting your updates? And most importantly, do you have wine in the house? If not, hie thee to the grocery store pronto Squanto before the wind kicks up!

I followed the link Sara posted above.

And they closed the liquor store. :willy_nilly: I understand non-essential services and schools, but the liquor stores? :svengo:

I have not been listening to the news or watching it, but we're New England 'Salts', so are prepared. Anything that can fly is in the barn. We own a generator etc. I hope it turns out to be minor.

I think I mentioned this, but there are still boats in our harbor, so my fingers are crossed. Last year, the store fronts were boarded up for Irene; this year they are not. Maybe folks are waiting until tomorrow, and more info.

Edited by LibraryLover

Since we have three babies in the house we took it pretty seriously.

We made sure to have plenty of water, baby food and snacks. Made sure to have gas for the grill to cook if necessary and ice. Filled all vehicles and took in all outside furniture and decorations.

All laundry is done, dishes cleaned and put away. We have candles, flash lights and most important batteries.

Everything here is closed tomorrow, but dh still has to report for work because they have inpatients to take care of.

Praying we don't lose power and everyone will be safe.

I'll be glad when Wednesday get here and this is all behind us!;)

Edited by Tammy in Germany
spelling....grrrr

And they closed the liquor store. :willy_nilly: I understand non-essential services and schools, but the liquor stores? :svengo:

Yeh, I don't understand that logic. :glare:

I have not been listening to the news or watching it, but we're New England 'Salts', so are prepared. Anything that can fly is in the barn. We own a generator and everything. I hope it turns out to be minor.

I think I mentioned this, but there are still boats in our harbor, so my fingers are crossed. Last year, the store fronts were boared up for Irene; this year they are not.

Is the Roo safe?? :001_smile:

I'm feeling a little testy because our water has been off most of the day for non-storm-related reasons. They're telling us they'll get someone out tomorrow to fix it. I'm having a little trouble imagining someone fixing the pump here in a hurricane. It's off for the entire neighborhood.

It's hard to prepare for several days of potentially no water with no water in the house right now.

It's been breezy here all day with a little rain so far. We're going to a friend's house tonight to fill up a lot of buckets tonight.

I heard this tip during the last big storm we had. I also heard (and used!) this tip - freeze gallon jugs of water before the storm, then you can use them to keep the food in your freezer/refrigerator cold if the power is out for a while. And when they melt, you can drink them :)

we do this sort of not to drink but I've filled old ice cream containers with water to fill up the freezer. I've also filled up ziploc bags with water to freeze that canhelp to get more in around the frozen food.

also the freezer unopened will last a couple of days.

I'm feeling a little testy because our water has been off most of the day for non-storm-related reasons. They're telling us they'll get someone out tomorrow to fix it. I'm having a little trouble imagining someone fixing the pump here in a hurricane. It's off for the entire neighborhood.

It's hard to prepare for several days of potentially no water with no water in the house right now.

:( :( :( So sorry!

I'm getting groceries tonight.

Can anyone remind me how long a chest freezer will stay cold if fully packed (mostly with ice) for things I'd normally keep in the fridge? I'm mostly worried about milk for ds and coffee creamer for my sanity.

EVERY YEAR we say we're going to get a generator. :glare:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FACTSheets/Focus_On_Freezing/index.asp#16

up to 48 hours if it is full and remains unopened. One other tip I heard was freeze a bottle partially with water, then turn it on it's side you will be able to tell if it is thawing.

I think Last time mine was still pretty frozen on going past the 48 hour mark- I went to buy dry ice. SO of course the power came back on.

do you have a cooler. I'd just put ice in it for the milk and creamer. We have also put ice in the fridge to keep it cool.

Is the Roo safe?? :001_smile:

:) The chickens are snuggled up tight. My youngest dd cut up several jack-o-lanterns today, so they have pumpkin to last for quite awhile. lol I froze a bunch of produce today, which means they have lots of green bean ends, thick spinach stems, and more bell pepper seeds than they have ever seen. :) Dh cut down all of our giant sunflowers last week. They are living the life.:)

Edited by LibraryLover

:) The chickens are snuggled up tight. My youngest dd cut up several jack-o-lanterns today, so they have pumpkin to last for quite awhile. lol I also froze a bunch of produce today, which means they have lots of green beans ends, thick spinach stems, and more bell pepper seeds that they have ever seen. :) Dh also cut down all of our giant sunflowers last week. They are living the life.:)

Our chickens just got a ton of pumpkin and spaghetti squash guts on Friday and they have rewarded us with eggs all weekend!:thumbup:

"Make sure you have the textbooks and other academic materials you’ll need…you’ll still have assignments due upon your return...Don’t make the mistake of thinking of this as a “Hurri-cation.â€"

Kind of interesting. So did they make all the kids leave? I'm in the area. It won't be fun but I don't think we will have major damage. Glad she had some where safe to go not too far away.

the local paper is the Daily press and Station is Wavy.com if you want to check out things.

Hi, just wondering if anyone can report on the weather/surf situation there? I have a friend who cannot reach her dd who lives about 9 blocks from shore. I wasn't thinking you all had any action yet, but she's pretty concerned. I was just thinking maybe someone could relieve her mind as far as weather goes tonight?

TIA

Edited to clarify that I'm asking about Virginia Beach, VA

:sad: Be sure to check in! I will when I go to my brothers to recharge the Ipad and take a shower. i'm expecting to lose power. Dd is concerned because we have men cutting down trees for us and they didn't get to the one leaning above her coop.

Stay safe! :grouphug:

:grouphug: You take care as well. We always loose power. That's a given. I am concerned about flooding.

I will check in. Everything is charging.

Edited by LibraryLover

Hi, just wondering if anyone can report on the weather/surf situation there? I have a friend who cannot reach her dd who lives about 9 blocks from shore. I wasn't thinking you all had any action yet, but she's pretty concerned. I was just thinking maybe someone could relieve her mind as far as weather goes tonight?

TIA

I'm in the area but not VA beach. It is fairly windy. and some rain. I know VB gets it worse than I do.

it is deteriorating a bit around here but this should not be a horrible storm for the area.

Wavy.com is a local station.

here is a link to some vb info

http://emergency.vbgov.com/

and here is a fb page.

https://www.facebook.com/CityofVaBeach?fref=ts

and local paper

http://pilotonline.com/

I'm in the area but not VA beach. It is fairly windy. and some rain. I know VB gets it worse than I do.

it is deteriorating a bit around here but this should not be a horrible storm for the area.

Wavy.com is a local station.

here is a link to some vb info

http://emergency.vbgov.com/

and here is a fb page.

https://www.facebook.com/CityofVaBeach?fref=ts

and local paper

http://pilotonline.com/

Thanks so much! I will pass this info on to her mother. :)

TIA

However, there are 5,000 Dominion customers in VB without power already.

Edited by natnclay

TIA

We have had rain and wind, but nothing bad. Of course, the worst isn't here yet. 2,350 customers in Va Beach outbid power out of about 192,000 customers.

Edited by nestof3