Menu

When your child is diagnosed with leukemia....

stm4him

We are processing the diagnosis we received on Saturday morning that our 8 year old son has leukemia (ALL). So now all my best laid plans are at the bottom of my priority list and second to keeping my son well is ministering to the hearts of my children. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good read aloud. I don't want them to revolve around sickness only, but any heart warming stories of hope (whether biographical or fiction) would be a blessing to them (and me) right now.

Also, if you have been through this you can pm me if you'd like. We can use all the help and encouragement we can as homeschoolers on this new journey.....

Soli Deo Gloria!

I'm sorry for your news. I've been through some extra rough times.

Underdog sports stories are good, in both films and novels.

Novels with animal protagonists are good.

Science fiction.

WW2 novels.

As you said, hope without being about sickness, is good.

And food writing. Seriously. When we are scared, food triggers a response in our reptilian brain that calms us. The Laura Ingalls books have a lot of food in them. So do the Famous Five series.

What lessens fear? What makes us feel safer?

 connection with big things-God, moon, sun, ocean

 connection with present -newspapers, TV, radio

 connection with past-nostalgic activities and items

 connection with future-hope, birth,

 interaction with people we trust

 reduced interaction with untrustworthy people

 helping others more fragile than ourselves

 interaction with plants and animals

 watching the cycles and patterns of nature

 water, bathing

 fire, heat

 eating, cooking, presence of food

 soothing music and sounds

 distracting activities

 purposeful activities

 engaging in creativity

 engaging in self-discovery activities and “non toothache†journaling

 rituals

 humor-active activities are more effective than passive ones

 holding, wearing and drawing symbols of protection, identity and/ or

meaning-crystals, birthstones, birth trees, animal totems, jewelry,

zodiac, lucky charms, essences, cross, Bible, stars, cards

 familiar, soft clothing and bedding

 being physically fit

 freedom of movement

 choices

 focusing on how to play the game of life, rather than trying to win it.

Strategies to Combat Fear

 Identify the fear. Say it out loud. Write it down. Fear often loses some of it's power once it is identified. Is there a fear behind the fear? Identifying the TRUE fear creates awareness.

 Fear of the unknown. Often fear comes from not knowing what to expect. Talk to people. Read books. Search the internet for information. Turn your unknowns into knowns.

 Ask for help. Is there anyone who can provide a service to you? At the very least find someone who will listen and offer verbal and emotional support.

 Ask yourself "what if?" Imagine the worst. How would you handle it? Planning how to handle something in advance reduces your fear of the unknown and increases your ability to manage it.

 Create a fallback statement. "If it doesn't work out, I'll..."

 Don't waste time worrying. 90% of what we worry about never

comes true.

 Facing your fear and taking a small action or risk to deal with your

fear builds confidence and lessens fear.

 Do not run from your fear. It often leads you into worse danger or

worse outcomes. If you feel confused, slow down a little.

 Deciding to do nothing. Sometimes it is best not to choose a new

route. Fear often creates a false sense of urgency. What would

happen if you do nothing?

 Train yourself to have the attitude that whatever happens, you'll

handle it. Remember times in the past when you have overcome

frightening obstacles successfully.

 Remind yourself that life is an adventure, no matter what happens.

Your security lies in your ability to perceive, to adapt, and to respond. An enhanced ability to see what's happening and the ability to respond quickly and accurately are the principles by which all life-forms survive and evolve. Focus on responding and evolving rather than attempting to control your environment and other people.

 Keep life simple.

 Say no when you feel overwhelmed.

We are processing the diagnosis we received on Saturday morning that our 8 year old son has leukemia (ALL). So now all my best laid plans are at the bottom of my priority list and second to keeping my son well is ministering to the hearts of my children. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good read aloud. I don't want them to revolve around sickness only, but any heart warming stories of hope (whether biographical or fiction) would be a blessing to them (and me) right now.

Also, if you have been through this you can pm me if you'd like. We can use all the help and encouragement we can as homeschoolers on this new journey.....

Soli Deo Gloria!

I'm so sorry, and praying for victory in this battle!

I'm sorry that you and your son are going through this, and I will pray for a complete recovery.

One of my dh's professors from seminary has a 10 yo who was diagnosed with ALL in December. I am linking his blog if you're interested: http://www.stevemckinion.com/

The Lymphoma and Leukemia Society hosts message boards similar to these boards.

Here is the one for parents who have a child with cancer: http://community.lls.org/community/bloodcancer/mychildhascancer.

The one for bone marrow and stem cell transplants: http://community.lls.org/community/bloodcancer/transplantation.

And the one for ALL: http://community.lls.org/community/bloodcancer/livingwith/all

The LLS boards are really slow right now, but they're usually not.

I wish I could reach through the boards and give you a big hug. :grouphug::grouphug:

I am so sorry that this has visited your family. The only book that I can think of is 'Tale of Desperaux.'

:grouphug: and prayers for you and your family.

My first thought was also Desperaux. There also may be good picture books - things like The Tin Forest... Or maybe just something very normal and happy to contrast, like The Penderwicks or The Saturdays. Or something fantasy about vanquishing evil like Narnia or Harry Potter.

:grouphug: Holding you in the light. I wish I had better thoughts - books can be really grounding and good touchstones for difficult times, so I can see that it could be important to get a good one.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers for God's peace and healing. No real suggestions although I would say you have received some good ones. Keep posting here if you would like. I know when I was going through treatment the terrific women on this site and many of their family and friends surrounded me in prayers. I am forever grateful. Trust in Jesus.

We haven't gone through a cancer diagnosis, but we did go through a liver disease and Crohn's diagnosis. The prognosis was bleak for awhile and may eventually go that way again. Our dd was 3 at the time. It was a very scary time in our lives. We circled the wagons so to speak and just spent time trying to make sure everyone was okay, including the other kids.

I think your idea of spending time reading books is a good one. I would say whatever books you wish you had read when they were small would be nice - old classics that you would all enjoy. The Wizard of Oz, E. Nesbitt books, Mary Poppins and The Princess and the Goblin all come to mind. Those are the few that I can think of off the top of my head.

My biggest advice is to not let anyone fall through the cracks. The well kids tend to get marginalized in these situations (which is somewhat understandable). It sounds like you already have this in mind, though.

:grouphug: I'm so sorry you all have to go through this. Keep us posted as much as you can.

Praying for your family. :grouphug:

(I know another hs'ing mama whose son has battled leukemia. I wonder if there is a way to connect the two of you? She is on another message board. She is an admin there and very active, so no worries about her being a troll or just plain looney. I have known her via the board for like 7+ years.)