Menu

TLC's newest train wreck....

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first came to the south - here are some questions that I was asked.

1. Do they have cars down there?

2. Do they wear shoes?

3. Does everyone including the ladies chew tobacca?

That reminds me that a friend of mine whose family is from the PNW had to inform them that, no, all the women in Georgia do not still wear hoop skirts and lacy hats.

:ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

The saddest thing is that the idiot families on these reality shows are too dimwitted to realize that they are not on television because they are exciting, wonderful, beautiful people. They don't have a clue that people are laughing at them, and not with them.

They are absolutely pathetic.

I can't watch any of those shows. I get too irritated with the stupidity and complete and utter lack of common sense.

This. We are kind of a weird mixed up family and every time one of us does something weird or crazy our joke is, "Watch out or we'll be on TLC next week!" LOL

:iagree::iagree: I don't have cable (and haven't since the 90's), but I always thought it was The Learning Channel. :001_huh: Good grief! Do they have educational programming anymore?

National Geographic is heading down this same road. They've got some show on right now about a small clan, the Hutterites(?). At first I thought it would be interesting to learn about a small religious group. Then I realized that it's not educational or anthropological. It's 'day to day life' in the group. They also have a show called 'Taboo' where they go 'in depth' on different topics. Some of the shows do explore interesting things, but others are just for shock value. I've taken to just watching Nat Geo on netflix. :glare:

They're educating the nation so that we can hasten our demise into a society that caters to the lowest common denominator. Very shortly, our average IQ will start to decline until Forrest Gump is regarded as an intellectual. (Although, Forrest was a pretty wise fellow in some regards!)

Pretty soon, Idiocracy will turn out to be prophetic I'm afraid.

They're educating the nation so that we can hasten our demise into a society that caters to the lowest common denominator. Very shortly, our average IQ will start to decline until Forrest Gump is regarded as an intellectual. (Although, Forrest was a pretty wise fellow in some regards!)

Pretty soon, Idiocracy will turn out to be prophetic I'm afraid.

And at the same time hsers and others are studying Latin and history!

National Geographic is heading down this same road. They've got some show on right now about a small clan, the Hutterites(?). At first I thought it would be interesting to learn about a small religious group. Then I realized that it's not educational or anthropological. It's 'day to day life' in the group. They also have a show called 'Taboo' where they go 'in depth' on different topics. Some of the shows do explore interesting things, but others are just for shock value. I've taken to just watching Nat Geo on netflix. :glare:

:iagree:I recently bought a Nat'l Geo video about the most dangerous animals in North America. I thought it would be a well-done nature film. Wrong. It ended up being a schticky, reality-type "who's the most dangerous predator on a scale of one to five?!!!!"

The information was interesting but I was so disappointed that they chose to present it in this obnoxious manner. Where is David Attenborough when you need him?

To me it seems a lot like making fun of those less fortunate, but, in this case it is hard to articulate what makes them "less fortunate". It's like they don't have the good sense to be embarrassed or something? :001_huh:

:iagree: sad. And they are going to be PUMMELED on talk shows, news casts, etc.

They have educational programming like MTV has music videos. ;)

That is just so sad. :( sigh. shrugs.gif

I love when shows like this come out. It reminds me of why I cancelled cable.

And I'm confused. I had an image in my head of what pageant kids looked like, and it's NOT this little girl. It's not that she is hideous per se, but she is not a very attractive child. Her mother looks like she spends her off hours mugging people in the Walmart parking lot but that's a whole other thread.

But that kid isn't cute. Are these pageants not very competitive??

So glad I don't have a proper tele...that trailer made me think Idocracy was a prophecy.

This is one step away from that movie they showed in Idiocracy!

Mostly, I can't watch it because I'm afraid I won't need the subtitles to understand what they're saying. I'm thinking it can't be worse than Wild Wonderful Whites of WV. The boo boos might not be actual felons. :glare:

Netflix has a toddlers and Tiaras. We watched it and picked up the phrase "I need to work on my beauty.". For some reason, we think it's a hysterical thing to say (with an accent, of course)

Thanks or the clip!

Um, did I read that commment correctly that said they are in Kentucky? Kill me now. Please. We just moved to Kentucky a month ago and it was far from my first choice for exactly that reason. Thankfully, Lexington so far appears to have escaped the stereotype for the most part.

There are some good people in KY. ;)

I've lived in 4 different states (IL, MO, NC and OH). There are *ahem* interesting people wherever you go. I'm pretty sure that I've met a "Honey Boo-Boo" in every state I've lived...the accent varies, but that's about all.

I know a few people have said that these people are doing all of this stuff for the money, and they don't care that people are laughing at them, but the little girl in this new TLC series is too young to realize that. I'm sure, in her own eyes, she is on TV because she's a beautiful beauty pageant winner, and because people all over the world love her and think she's special.

It's only a matter of time before that little girl (and the other kids on similar shows) are crushed when they finally learn the truth, and I think that's terribly sad for the children -- and horribly selfish, greedy, and insensitive of the parents. Don't even get me started on what I think of the creators and producers of these shows, as well as the powers-that-be at TLC.

Ugh! I was appalled at all the foul language on the Hutterite show!

Who cares if you have a @&$&*@^$ bonnet on your head and a modest *@&$*&@$ dress if you talk like &*@$*&$^@!!

Edited by Sis

I don't even have to look at the link to know it's not something we would want in our home. We only have basic cable and netflix/amazon streaming. It's more than enough. When watching something on tv I often think whether this family, situation, language etc. would be invited into our home and, in most cases, it would not be welcome and would make me most uncomfortable if it were live in my family room. So, we don't invite it in.;)

Unconscionable victimization and exploitation.

astrid

Yeah. Poor kids :(

I had a good friend in high school that lived in a trailer park. I spend a lot of time there. Every time I hear the work redneck or trailer something I want to gag.

SHAME ON that channel for hosting such a mess. Seems anyone and everyone will do anything for money these days.

When will you be moving? :tongue_smilie:

Haha! My local FB friends were commenting last night after the show aired:

"I'm watching the absolutely horrific "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo," mainly to see how these folks living down the road from us (yes, unfortunately, it's true) have pimped themselves out for television. It's worse than I figured it would be...and I figured it would be really bad... *sigh*

On a side note, I'm amazed that the folks at TLC felt the need to subtitle the folks on the show. I understand every word...and that also sort of horrifies me..."

"Disclaimer: Not all citizens of Middle Georgia walk around with missing teeth and uncontrolled bodily functions, honey boo boo child."

"These people have reached a whole new level of white trash dysfunction. They're in a category of their own, really."

"I have never in my life seen anything like this, except in Wilkinson county."

"I saw the promo online & decided not to watch. It annoys me that people will see it and think that behavior is typical of Southerners."

"It was like watching a train wreck! I can't believe that TLC would even show that. It was unbelievable!"

"My daughter said, Mama, they are THAT close to us?!"

"TLC makes a living off of exploiting and ridiculing people. It makes our state look terrible. ...Do they go out of their way to find the worst possible representatives of this state?"

"I watched five minutes of that "Boo Boo" abomination this evening... I need to have my brain laundered."

"The only reason I'm watching this "Honey Boo Boo" crap is because they live in the next county over from us and I wanted to see how many stereotypes of folks from Georgia they're reinforcing. Sadly, it's just about every one of them..."

"I couldn't bring myself to watch. I'm embarrassed for them--and for all of us Southerners who have to live down the "redneck" stereotype. :("

"'Horrified' pretty much sums up my reaction to this train wreck. Do these shows actually have viewers that enjoy them, or are they all just watching so they can say to themselves, 'Wow, my life could be SO much worse!'"

"My question is, were the Boo Boos proud of themselves after they watched that show???"

"Watching a show focused around a child and her family who clearly have some...issues, well, that's just wrong. The last thing we needed is to have rural Georgia to be depicted in this way."

So, last night I had a few quiet hours while the kiddos were at violin lessons. I turned on the tv, scrolled the channels, and what did I find but Honey Boo Boo and company. I thought I would reserve judgement and watch a few minutes.

Oh my, I watched for just a brief while until they started discussing how farting 12-15 times a day can help you loose weight. When Mama Boo Boo started discussing her multi-chin, a few minutes later, I decided I had seen enough.

I case you're wondering if you should check it out just to see if it's as bad as everyone suspected, save the brain cells you will inevitably destroy by watching. I really is just. that. bad.....

Oh, so you missed the part where they introduced the pregnant 17 year old, with whom Mama Boo Boo shares a special kinship because she had her when she was 15?

Or the part where they explicitly explained why, in their family, they refer to a woman's vulva as her "biscuit" because, well, in well-made biscuits they separate like that?

Or the segment in which an etiquette coach from Atlanta was fairly run off the ranch when she realized the impossibly insurmountable challenge of instilling table manners on the boo boo family?

Oh yes, it was a treat.

astrid (who was expecting awfulness, but it was worse than I could have imagined-- much worse.)

Oh, so you missed the part where they introduced the pregnant 17 year old, with whom Mama Boo Boo shares a special kinship because she had her when she was 15?

Or the part where they explicitly explained why, in their family, they refer to a woman's vulva as her "biscuit" because, well, in well-made biscuits they separate like that?

Or the segment in which an etiquette coach from Atlanta was fairly run off the ranch when she realized the impossibly insurmountable challenge of instilling table manners on the boo boo family?

Oh yes, it was a treat.

astrid (who was expecting awfulness, but it was worse than I could have imagined-- much worse.)

Or the part where we heard the dad is 40, which made him like 23 when the 17 year old was born. Assuming he's the dad, and I have no reason to think he wasn't....yikes.

It was awful.

Oh yes, it was a treat.

Um... :001_huh:

:svengo: One of the many :svengo: many :svengo: many reasons I don't have cable.