Menu

What is your emotional/intellectual response to this word?

Feminism <--that word

I have two responses: It has worked against us and "of course".

If that makes sense. I was just talking about this today to my daughter. My mailman father could support a family of six because women weren't routinely in the workplace yet. So every man made more. Now every family (almost) has to have both parents working to make ends meet.

Of course - was there ever any other rational thought than that women were equal to men - but different? Not in my experience. But my Mom used to say, "WHY should women want to be equal to men when they've always been superior?" I miss her.

It was an idea whose time had come.

ETA: As this gets rolling, I would encourage people to include their working definition of the world. Much strife in life is over semantics.

I'll go first: A collection of movements whose uniting point is the belief in and defense of social and political equality of women and men.

Edited by kalanamak

:iagree:

I have two responses: It has worked against us and "of course".

If that makes sense. I was just talking about this today to my daughter. My mailman father could support a family of six because women weren't routinely in the workplace yet. So every man made more. Now every family (almost) has to have both parents working to make ends meet.

Of course - was there ever any other rational thought than that women were equal to men - but different? Not in my experience. But my Mom used to say, "WHY should women want to be equal to men when they've always been superior?" I miss her.

It makes me think of several things.

Victory: The women of the early 1900's with their sashes and signs, fighting for the right to vote.

Sadness: The loss of our feminineness . Women dressing and acting like men.

Compromise: The things men have stopped doing for us as women (holding open the door, giving up their seats, paying the check, etc).

Independance: The ability to not HAVE to get married to live your life,without being a burden to your parents. Women making as much (sometimes more) than men in their jobs.

It's a toss up ?!

My response is "Thank God." I am a feminist. I am grateful for the movement. I think the definition is broader than a lot of people think and encompasses many people. For instance, it is possible to be pro life (like me) and be a feminist. I am not only pro life, I am anti death penalty, so don't even try to put me in a political category. :glare: I have the opportunities I have now because of the progress the sometimes extremist women before me made in the political arena. I dislike the fact that I have to be smarter, more educated, more dedicated and more energetic than men to be as successful as them in business but it is just a fact and I am more than up for the challenge. I need for the debate to end and for the argument to be considered silly so when my grandchildren are old enough to hit the job market they don't have to worry about it.

Victory: The women of the early 1900's with their sashes and signs, fighting for the right to vote.

From taking a Women's Studies class, I understood it to mean women had a choice about how to live their lives; they were no longer oppressed by men and forced into the dutiful housewife role. Now it seems that if a women chooses to be a housewife (or sahm, as it's phrased today) then she's oppressed by angry women who blame her for somehow hindering them from their own goals, or she's pitied by them for not being enlightened enough to want something other than being a helpmeet and mother.

I have positive feeling about feminism as it relates to the suffrage movement; not so positive feelings about how it's defined and used today. If a woman wants a career, I think that's great. Go for it. But if a woman wants to be a wife and mother without working outside the home, there should be no condemnation from other women about that decision.

To me, I think of it as a two-sided issue.

It gave women what they deserved in regards to equal opportunities, the vote, equal pay, equal sports, etc.

It has morphed into a more "correct choice" type of feminism. Most modern feminists would fight to the death for my opportunity to be CEO of a forutne 500, but would view my decision to stay home as "selling out" and "setting feminism back 50 years".

I wish it had stayed more pure to its original intent and not become so judgmental of women who make different choices.

*internal sigh* <----- my immediate response

I went through a phase when I believed women were better than men and make-up was an intentional plot by men to keep women insecure about themselves to keep them from reaching their full, powerful potential. And then I turned 12.

I think that, like the civil rights movement, the feminist revolution righted some wrongs and lead to recognized and practiced equality. I think that now they stir up trouble where there isn't any more (in a significant amount) but that there is a lot of money in it and they don't want to give up their sense of power. I also think that if you don't agree with their view of an empowered woman then they see you as a threat to their "movement." And I think that in promoting "choice" over "life" they have ruined a lot of women's lives.

It gave women what they deserved in regards to equal opportunities, the vote, equal pay, equal sports, etc.

It has morphed into a more "correct choice" type of feminism. Most modern feminists would fight to the death for my opportunity to be CEO of a forutne 500, but would view my decision to stay home as "selling out" and "setting feminism back 50 years".

I wish it had stayed more pure to its original intent and not become so judgmental of women who make different choices.

:iagree:This pretty much sums it up for me.

Feminism <--that word

By initial reaction is that the word is outdated. Yep. I associate it with the bra burning days and early Gloria Steinem but I'm probably the oldest replying ;)

My son would probably consider himself a feminist. He took a Women's Study class as a dual enrollment course while in high school at the professor's request and now is a staunch supporter of women's rights. Of course he is 18...and thinks that men have made up a lot of 'stories' about women to prepetuate their own feathered nests. Maybe he is right?

Great question!

My response is "Thank God." I am a feminist. I am grateful for the movement. I think the definition is broader than a lot of people think and encompasses many people. For instance, it is possible to be pro life (like me) and be a feminist. I am not only pro life, I am anti death penalty, so don't even try to put me in a political category. :glare: I have the opportunities I have now because of the progress the sometimes extremist women before me made in the political arena. I dislike the fact that I have to be smarter, more educated, more dedicated and more energetic than men to be as successful as them in business but it is just a fact and I am more than up for the challenge. I need for the debate to end and for the argument to be considered silly so when my grandchildren are old enough to hit the job market they don't have to worry about it.

I'm of 2 thoughts.

I'm good w/the dictonary def'n. Equal rights for both genders. Yay.

I'm NOT good w/the feminists in the media, Mommy wars, or anyone, w/or w/out a uterus telling me what my life SHOULD be. I'm not interested in anyone, under any guise, telling me my value/worth.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

emotional response: extremely positive

intellectual response: needs clearer definition. There has definitely several separate waves (stages) of feminisim.

It is difficult to discuss as a 'whole'. If I said "what do you think of patriotism?" I could hear "Yay!, Olympic teams" and "Boo, Imperialism". It is a big subject if you know what I mean.

"Oh brother...."

That's essentially mine, too, mostly because when the word is uttered, there is usually going to follow a diatribe of some sort.

Otherwise, I have no strong feelings either way about the word, though I have very strong feelings about the various movements thought history.

BTW, I am a child of the 60's and came of age in the 70's and still feel disgruntled that we could not confirm the ERA. :lol:

Most women I know who idealize the days when "men were men and treated women like ladies" weren't there. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Well put. Not exactly the glory days.

:iagree:This pretty much sums it up for me.

I agree as well. I was raised by feminists, my grandmothers and mother and aunts all paved the way for my sisters and I to be in the workforce, and I appreciate that. But it came at a high price, being raised by a single mother who is very focused on her career is hard. I often think that the sacrafices we have made in our lives is not worth it, but other days I think that they are. Either way, I always considered myself a feminist, and my in-laws are what I would consider feminists as well.

However, I no longer use that label, because the movement has become very monolithic. I have pretty much been berated by every "feminist" I know because I am pro-life, which includes using natural forms of birth control. It also ruffled feathers when I decided to leave my career behind and become a SAHM and a homeschooler. It has also caused people around me to become uncomfortable because we decided to keep having kids. Our choice to have a larger family leaves us open to the most absurd and insulting comments. Even strangers feel as though they have the right to comment out in public.

The working mothers I know just don't understand it, they act like I am allowing my husband to enslave me because I don't work and I have so many children. They look at my life as burdonsome, and they pity me. This is hard for me to put up with, because my life is far from perfect, but I love it.

I resisted the whole stay at home mom thing for years because it ran contrary to how I was raised, and it meant that my mother's hard work would have been in vain. I have been treated like I am "dragging my sisters down" with my choices. But, when I finally decided to stay at home and have more kids, I found a peace and happiness I hadn't had before when we had fewer children and I was working. Raising a larger family truly was what I had always wanted. It was the choice that was right for me.

I don't think there is one right way to raise a family. That is why it is so ironic that so many people are uncomfortable with my decisions, since I try hard not to judge theirs.

I am grateful to the feminist movement of the past, but weary of the feminist movement of today.

How would you feel if your dd was a finalist for a Fulbright and the other finalist was male. In the exit interview your dd is told it would be a waste to give her the Fulbright because she is female--no discussion of her qualifications which are quite good. That happened to my MIL.

Do you think it was OK that Sandra Day O'Connor was initially only offered jobs as a legal secretary when she graduated from Standford Law School, having been on law review.

Perhaps graduate and professional schools should continue questioning with "Why should we give a space in our (medical/law/etc) school to a woman?"

Let's roll back 50 years to a time when women are paid less for the same job and it's on the books that they get paid less because they are women. The reasoning is well, a man might need to support a family. No discussion of whether the man actually supports anyone or whether the woman is a widow actually supporting a family. There is just no argument.

Many things have happened because of feminism and the movement associated with it. Mostly, the result is choice and fairness. Woman have many more life choices. It's also meant choices for men. It's meant many businesses have become flexible with part time work and schedules in general. It's meant a lot of men change diapers and take over childcare so mom can have an afternoon or evening out.

I think a bait-and-switch goes on with the word feminism.

Suppose I say, I, NASDAQ, do not consider myself a feminist.

Well, do you think women should be equal to men? That they should have the vote?

Well yes. So I guess I am a feminist. But I am pro-life, and conservative politically, and so on.

In that case you are not a real feminist. Feminists are pro-choice, etc.

I think it would be silly to identify myself with a movement whose major policy goals are contrary to mine, no matter how positively I may feel about Susan B. Anthony.

How would you feel if your dd was a finalist for a Fulbright and the other finalist was male. In the exit interview your dd is told it would be a waste to give her the Fulbright because she is female--no discussion of her qualifications which are quite good. That happened to my MIL.

Do you think it was OK that Sandra Day O'Connor was initially only offered jobs as a legal secretary when she graduated from Standford Law School, having been on law review.

Perhaps graduate and professional schools should continue questioning with "Why should we give a space in our (medical/law/etc) school to a woman?"

Let's roll back 50 years to a time when women are paid less for the same job and it's on the books that they get paid less because they are women. The reasoning is well, a man might need to support a family. No discussion of whether the man actually supports anyone or whether the woman is a widow actually supporting a family. There is just no argument.

Many things have happened because of feminism and the movement associated with it. Mostly, the result is choice and fairness. Woman have many more life choices. It's also meant choices for men. It's meant many businesses have become flexible with part time work and schedules in general. It's meant a lot of men change diapers and take over childcare so mom can have an afternoon or evening out.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Misunderstood. I started a huge thread about feminism a couple months ago and feminism is clearly the victim of "once I knew a judgemental man-hater who was feminist) type feelings. It's unfortunate to say the least.

:iagree: I remember that thread.

By initial reaction is that the word is outdated. Yep. I associate it with the bra burning days and early Gloria Steinem but I'm probably the oldest replying ;)

At 56, I'm among the older women of the boards. I remember bra burning and Gloria Steinem, but I also remember that wasn't all it was about. That was just a way to draw attention to the movement.

My first reaction to the word: freedom and choices for women. I also ask myself why anyone, male or female, would be against equal rights for women. That baffles me.

BTW, I am a child of the 60's and came of age in the 70's and still feel disgruntled that we could not confirm the ERA. :lol:

Most women I know who idealize the days when "men were men and treated women like ladies" weren't there. :tongue_smilie:

As Billy Joel sang, "The good ole days weren't always good."

This goes along with what Denise said above about women who weren't there, not truly understanding what it was like. I think I mentioned this in a previous feminism thread, but I remember what it was like for my single mother in the 60's and early 70's being unable to get a checking account, check cashing card, auto loan, or life insurance. The only reason for all of the above was the fact that she was a woman, and an unmarried one at that. Discrimination against women wasn't always about college, male dominated careers and high profile women. It affected women in their ordinary lives.

Re the bolded: When I met dh he was raising his son. He fought for custody because his ex was not a good mother. In the days before feminism, he likely would not have been given custody because the woman nearly always got the kids, no matter what. Yes, feminism is about equality, and men (and children) benefited from it.

My first reaction to the word: freedom and choices for women. I also ask myself why anyone, male or female, would be against equal rights for women. That baffles me.

QUOTE]

Wanting freedom and choices and equal rights for everyone is not exclusive to the feminist movement, and just because you reject the modern feminist movement does not mean you are against equal rights for women.

I think this is my point, that the feminist movement my mother and her sisters were a part of is not the same movement today. It has become less inclusive. It has become so monolithic and militant towards women who are pro-life that a lot of us who once identified as feminists are now belittled and attacked by the movement.

My mother and her sister both battled sexism in the military, as they were high ranking officers in a male dominated field. I know first hand that there are real benefits I enjoy because of the feminist movement, and I am grateful. I wouldn't change the past. But let's be intellectually honest and admit that the feminist movement today has changed and it is no longer inclusive to certain political and/or religious or moral beliefs.

I didn't leave feminism, it left me.

Feminism <--that word

:party::001_tt1::hurray::cheers2::patriot: :thumbup: :smash::driving:

That's my response !

I was able to earn an engineering degree, work in heavy industry, give instructions to operators of gigantic cranes and be in charge of large crews of gruff male maintenance workers, on the night shift, because of the work that was done before my time due to this word. In college, when a male TA (from another country) rearranged physics lab partners so there would be a man at each table to "help the girls", and a male friend and I caught him in the act of giving me a lower grade on an identical lab report (we copied to make them match and admitted it), due to his sexism, it was possible to have him disciplined and his teaching and grading overseen from then on, because of the work of the brave women who stood behind that word.

Now I am a SAHM. Feminism has given us choices that we wouldn't have otherwise.

I worked with a woman who was almost 20 years older than me. When she started working at the refinery, the ladies who worked at the credit union would not wait on her because they were angry that she was "taking a job away from a man who needed it more", even though she was a single mother. When my own mother was newly married in the 60s, she could not have a bank account, a credit card, or get any kind of loan without her husband's (or father's) signature on the application, even though she worked full time as a nurse and made pretty good money.

Things have changed for women, so much, in a short time, due to feminism.

Purposely stopped reading others' comments early on so as not to color my own. I'll go back.

It was necessary and good at one time when it was truly about women having choices, but ultimately it took some important freedoms away from women. Today fewer women have the freedom to choose to be stay-home wives and mothers without worrying about contributing income. (Even with husbands who would like them to stay home and be non-income-producing wives/mothers.)

My response is to feel hunkered down ready to hear the attacks.

My feelings are mixed. I grew up in a feminist home. I considered myself a feminist. Then I went to a women's college and met the Dworkinites mixing up this weird anti-p*rn crusade with feminism. And met the people who misguidedly thought that marriage was anti-feminist. Or that motherhood was (like the article that was linked above). I never bought into that nonsense. P*rn, marriage and motherhood are all fine by me and, I think, fine by feminism.

But I don't think that's what feminism is and I think it's vastly unfair for society to judge feminism by its most radical fringes or say it "failed" because of its most radical elements any more than one should judge all Democrats by Dennis Kucinich or all Republicans by Ron Paul. Or, to put it in a different context, to judge all romance novels by 50 Shades of Gray or all modern art by Duchamp's infamous toilet.

Purposely stopped reading others' comments early on so as not to color my own. I'll go back.

It was necessary and good at one time when it was truly about women having choices, but ultimately it took some important freedoms away from women. Today fewer women have the freedom to choose to be stay-home wives and mothers without worrying about contributing income. (Even with husbands who would like them to stay home and be non-income-producing wives/mothers.)

Honestly I am not so sure you can blame this on feminism instead of economic forces.

Feminism <--that word

Honestly?

That I am not a feminist. :D

Really, though, I appreciate what the original feminism movement seemed to accomplish - equal rights and such.

But I don't actually like the current feminist movement.

I haven't read any other responses, and I honestly don't know if I should... :lol:

Sadness: The loss of our feminineness . Women dressing and acting like men.

Compromise: The things men have stopped doing for us as women (holding open the door, giving up their seats, paying the check, etc).

Independance: The ability to not HAVE to get married to live your life,without being a burden to your parents. Women making as much (sometimes more) than men in their jobs.

It's a toss up ?!

I know I already answered but I just liked all these so well... :D (obviously, I did decide to read the other comments)

I kind of feel like...maybe... the feminist movement has some aspects currently that I'm not a fan of. I have always gotten the impression that much of feminism doesn't value men much (but, as some other PPs have stated, that is probably a radical fringe) and that makes me sad. I see a lot in the media making men out to be either idiots or womanizers, and I wasn't around before feminism existed so, Idk, was it always like that? I know that hasn't been feminism in and of itself that has caused that, but somewhere along the line society has allowed men to lose some of their honor (even though real men usually haven't - only the portrayals on TV). I also feel as though feminism has in some cases de-feminized women.

Immediately, I think, "Oh, please!!" Then I roll my eyes. I think part of that response is because I know that deep down most feminists don't stand for the rights of ALL women, just the ones who support their party of choice, so really I find the word brings to mind a large group of hypocrits! I realize that's broad-brush, but it is the first thing that I think of when I see or hear that word. You asked. :D

Original feminism, the kind that fought for the right to vote, that was good. The groups now?? Nahh, not so much!

Edited by FiveOaksAcademy

I understand all of the above, and agree w/most of your points.

I also stand by my previous comments that the way feminism has come to be portrayed in the media turns my stomach.

The laughable idea that I 'owe' anyone my presence in the workplace, that I'm somehow devaluing the efforts of feminism by being at home, w/my kids, having a large family boggles me. It's the same head shake I get when someone tells me I 'owe' my kids, and my presence, to bettering the local ps.

The brand of feminism that tries to tell me who I should be, where my value is, and is at the root of the Mommy Wars, is not something I will ever endorse.

Equal rights for both genders? Absolutely. But the rest of the malarky that seems to have attached itself to the term? Not on your life.

And that's where the current use of 'feminism' loses me. The idea that somehow, it seems to be crusading for women to be superior to men, that men are somehow the enemy, simply b/c they have a p*nis. I have sons. There's no way I could ever agree w/that line of thinking.

Perhaps I should consider myself a 'humanist' rather than 'feminist', in that I believe ALL ppl are equal, regardless of gender, nationality, etc.

The one point I don't agree w/is the idea that it's due to feminism that men are involved w/their children, and it's to thank for women having a break. There have always been husbands that were attentive fathers, just as now there are still husbands who barely recognize their own kids and tell the wife to get a sitter, b/c he's not going to hang around the house while she goes out.

I think that, like the civil rights movement, the feminist revolution righted some wrongs and lead to recognized and practiced equality. I think that now they stir up trouble where there isn't any more (in a significant amount) but that there is a lot of money in it and they don't want to give up their sense of power. I also think that if you don't agree with their view of an empowered woman then they see you as a threat to their "movement." And I think that in promoting "choice" over "life" they have ruined a lot of women's lives.

:iagree: with all that you said. Not only ruined the lives of the women they encouraged to have that "choice" but also the lives of 50% of those unborn who would be future women and never had a choice at all in the matter!! It's all a huge lie!!!

So good.

But I don't think that's what feminism is and I think it's vastly unfair for society to judge feminism by its most radical fringes or say it "failed" because of its most radical elements any more than one should judge all Democrats by Dennis Kucinich or all Republicans by Ron Paul. Or, to put it in a different context, to judge all romance novels by 50 Shades of Gray or all modern art by Duchamp's infamous toilet.

Or all Christians by the Westboro Baptist Church.

Honestly I am not so sure you can blame this on feminism instead of economic forces.

Well, wouldn't more people entering the workplace - women who previously would have been at home - be part of "economic forces?"

I'm not arguing. But, I don't know how that couldn't have an effect.

Edited by marbel

I feel thanks for the women who fought so hard against so much resistance so that girls growing up today could roll their eyes at that word, not having even lived in a country where they couldn't vote or drive, could not buy birth control, were not admitted to publicly funded universities, or were unnecessarily left out of many medical studies.

Sure, there have been things that went wrong along the way, but I feel grateful for the women who were willing to bring up the injustices, and not just for women. I'm thankful on behalf of my husband and three sons, who will be allowed family medical leave (at least legally, though in practice it's stilll a fight) when their babies are born or adopted. I'm thankful they can choose to be teachers or nurses, that they can be present in their wives delivery rooms, that they feel freer not to marry at all. I am thankful that their wives will have choices about working or not, and despite what others say, the vast majority of women I know who have two parents in the house have taken at least six months or so off when a baby was born - if they didn't quit altogether and become SAHMs. Most of my friends have been SAHMs for at least a year here and there, so I don't think feminism destroyed those choices.

There are bad things too, of course, but over all, I think my mother, my father, my husband, and my sons are better off.

Edited by Danestress