Menu

Parties of 5, what car do you drive?

We have 3 children, 6 and under. We have a carseat and 2 boosters. I'm not completely against a van, we have one now, but love the idea of getting better gas mileage. We need cargo space, but not ridiculous amounts. I would like it to last 10 years, so it would need to have room for the children when they're older. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan, I will NOT buy another Dodge. Needless to say we're not too happy with it. We borrowed my inlaws Buick for the weekend, so a larger 4-door sedan. We now know we don't want all three children in the same row, especially able to touch each other.:glare: So 3 rows is a must.

Just asking to see if there are any options out there I'm not aware of.

Well, we have a minivan - a Chevrolet Uplander. It has been ok, and it is what we could find in the right price range when we were looking. But I have to say, I don't recommend Chevys or any domestic car for that matter.

I had originally wanted a Honda Pilot, but I didn't like that one of the seats in the middle row would always have to be folded down to get to the back (just a bench seat all the way across for both 2nd and 3rd rows). :( I was so disappointed to discover that, because I love Hondas.

I know that the GMC (?) Acadia (?sp?) has 3 rows, 2 bucket seats in the middle row and a bench seat in the back. At least every one I know who has one (and they were like, the thing to get here for awhile :confused: ) has the 3 rows, so I'm assuming it's standard.

Personally, I only like vehicles with 3rd rows if the middle row consists of 2 bucket seats. I think that has become the norm with more now, but at one time it seemed like all the minivans were two bench seats, and those always felt so crowded, not to mention hard to get in and out of the back.

one of my brothers has three car seats across in the toyota venza. his advice is to go to the dealerships with the carseats and not test drive anything they don't fit in comfortably.

we went with the voyager minivan for 15 years, but have just changed to the mazda 5, which has way better gas mileage. it seats six in three rows. i wish we'd changed years ago.

hth,

ann

Until the children are out of carseats and needing cargo space, I'd stay with the van and we had one for 12 years. We just sold it a few weeks ago and although I love my car, the van would still be nice to have for trips, everyone had their own space. You also want to consider the challenge of getting children in and out of a vehicle. Some 3rd seat cars have just small areas to climb in and out of. I agree with the pp go to the dealership and first put the three seats in and give a trial of getting kids in and out.

Edited by lynn

I love my Mitsubishi Outlander. I have the regular sized one, not the new "Sport" one they also sell. The standard model may also be equipped with a 3rd row seat that flips down. It's not big or very well padded, but it is a couple extra seats in a pinch. With it folded down, there's a good amount of cargo room.

Mine are older. At those ages I had, and always drove, a mini-van. First a Honda and now a Toyota. DH says he will not buy another Odyssey, ever. When we were in the market for the Toyota, we looked at Suburbans as well. What sold us on the Toyota was the 60-0 time. Accident avoidance is as important as the other things.

We saved a Toyota Avalon from when dh drove it for our kids when they started to drive. So it'a an old car, but Oldest (17yo) drives it. It's a rather nice car for a teen. Just recently, my IL's gave us their 4 door car because MIL can't get down into it anymore and can't move her foot fast enough from gas to brake to drive. (Medical issues) The Chevy will go to the next driver - 15 yo dd.

We can fit all 5 of us in every vehicle we own - a Toyota minivan, Nissan Titan, Toyota Avalon, Chevy Malibu. And the rule that we have now is you drive what ever is in the back. No shifting of cars so you get "yours".

We just recently upgraded from a Nissan Quest mini van to a Suburban. I absolutely LOVE it. I *did* want something where all three kids could fit across one seat (and DD5 has a huge car seat). That way, if we need to, we can fold down the third seat and have tons of cargo space (which we need when we go camping). I love having a large vehicle.

We use a Kia Sedona, with one of the back seats taken out for more cargo room. We put back in the seat when we have guests. We did a sedan for a year it is evil with three car seats or boosters and car seats. I don't plan on going back to a sedan until everyone is out of car seats.

Mine are older. At those ages I had, and always drove, a mini-van. First a Honda and now a Toyota. DH says he will not buy another Odyssey, ever. When we were in the market for the Toyota, we looked at Suburbans as well. What sold us on the Toyota was the 60-0 time. Accident avoidance is as important as the other things.

We saved a Toyota Avalon from when dh drove it for our kids when they started to drive. So it'a an old car, but Oldest (17yo) drives it. It's a rather nice car for a teen. Just recently, my IL's gave us their 4 door car because MIL can't get down into it anymore and can't move her foot fast enough from gas to brake to drive. (Medical issues) The Chevy will go to the next driver - 15 yo dd.

We can fit all 5 of us in every vehicle we own - a Toyota minivan, Nissan Titan, Toyota Avalon, Chevy Malibu. And the rule that we have now is you drive what ever is in the back. No shifting of cars so you get "yours".

That surprises me about the Odyssey, only because it's ALWAYS on all the lists as the best/safest van out there.

On one hand I love having a van, all that room! On the other hand, I HATE the van I have. It's only 5 years old, which I realize isn't *new* but there are so many glitches with it with annoying little things that now that it needs a BIG fix I'm over it. Maybe a Sienna is in our future.

We have 3 children, 6 and under. We have a carseat and 2 boosters. I'm not completely against a van, we have one now, but love the idea of getting better gas mileage. We need cargo space, but not ridiculous amounts. I would like it to last 10 years, so it would need to have room for the children when they're older. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan, I will NOT buy another Dodge. Needless to say we're not too happy with it. We borrowed my inlaws Buick for the weekend, so a larger 4-door sedan. We now know we don't want all three children in the same row, especially able to touch each other.:glare: So 3 rows is a must.

Sorry, you need a van ;)

The other options with 3 rows require you to fold down the middle seat to access the back, not something you can do without removing the car seats in the middle seat. So fine for older kids, but won't work for ones in car seats and boosters.

And really, minivans get about the same milage as a lot of other vehicles that carry that many people. Maybe just look for a different van? I have a Dodge Caravan (not the Grand) and it gets decent gas milage considering, and I've had no issues with it, but if you don't like Dodge maybe the Toyota Sienna?

Yeah, we bought an Odyssey back in 2006 when I started babysitting my niece full time. At the time, I had a Civic and dh had a Pathfinder, and neither one could really fit the 3 carseats comfortably.

I love my Odyssey, and although better gas mileage would be nice, I actually think it doesn't do as poorly on the gas mileage as I had thought it would.

I love all the cargo room in my van, and now that I'm babysitting two more babies, I love that I can easily fit 7 people in my car, or 8 if I add the little extra seat between the middle seats.

I have a Toyota Sequoia. We bought it in 2004 and it drives like the day we bought it. It is awesome. I think we are at 120K miles and Dh says we have just broken it in! Unless there is an accident, I don't see us replacing it until the last child is gone. It will be our one and only "Family" vehicle.

DH wanted a Tundra truck and I wanted a Sienna van, the Sequoia was our compromise. I got the seating capacity and he got the towing capacity. :lol:

I love that the rear/3rd row is split. When we go on longer vacations or camping we take out one side only and it gives us TONS of room for luggage, golf clubs, etc....

Edited by DawnM

We have an Odyssey and like it just fine, no complaints at all. Now that we're out of the three carseats territory (though the boys still use their 5-point harnesses for highway trips) they occasionally ride in our Volvo wagon, which used to be the "kid car" before twins (back in the olden days when I drove a Jeep... Sigh).

When we're ready to downsize, I'll probably look at the Mazda 5 first. Enough room and available in a manual? Be still, my heart!

We have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan -- i won't say a word about it b/c you already stated you won't buy another one.

Everyone I know who has a Honda Pilot LOVES it!

I would love a mercedes SUV or station wagon (dh just got one) but sadly, the mini-van makes life just TOO easy and the caravan with the stow away features.....well, like I said, it makes life TOO easy, and I do like driving it.

I would buy a used H2 in a heartbeat, but it doesn't seat enough.

I've thought about an Escalade or Suburban.......but I love the way a Mercedes drives.

I have an odyssey and love it. My 3 are all in carseats and will be for a long time. I can put all three in the middle row, which I love. Usually I have DD in the 3rd row so her brothers don't grab at her all the time (they are RF still so it's too easy to get to her...) Lots of cargo space. I need a double stroller everywhere I go, so this is critical. Room to pick up people from the airport or take along grandparents without needing a second car. I looked into some smaller cars, but honestly the gas mileage is not THAT much better, at least not on anything with room to accomodate us all.

Plus in bad weather I can stick all the kids in the car, then climb in myself and shut the door while buckling all the seats. This is very nice in winter!!

It is a 2007 and we have had no mechanical problems with the van so far.

We drive a Suburban. We needed room for 2 car seats and an adult-sized teenager and the Suburban works. We usually take out the third row in the summer since we need all the cargo space when we go camping. I put in the third row so I can drive around some friends (I've had 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 4 carseats in it comfortably, with a double sit-and-stand stroller and a regular stroller in the back).

The double bench seats is a little annoying but I usually just have kids hop over the seat to get into the third row. I lean over from the back or from the second row to hook in carseats. It's never been a problem and I'm overweight and not very flexible.

I drive a Ford Expedition. I bought it when my kids were 4,5,and 7. They are now 8,9,and 13... It is still perfect for us! I have 3 full size rows (so no captain's chairs in the middle - I can safely seat 8 people!) I haven't found it any less easy to haul people in than the mini-vans we had previously. NOW, when I had all 3 in seats...one went in the middle row, middle seat (because it didn't flip down) and the other two went in the back row, outside seats (and I flipped down and popped up the chairs in the middle row to access.) Now that they are all older, only the youngest is still in a seat, and I do either one in each row and one up front (DS13 who is nearly 6 ft tall) OR, if I'm hauling stuff on vacation, two youngest ride in the outside seats of the middle row - using the middle seat as a buffer - and ODS rides up front. If DH is with is, then it's ODS in the back and the youngest in the middle, outside seats. Yeah, I can't have two next to each other.

I was going to say a Dodge Grand Caravan. :D We've tried many other vans/SUVs the last four times we have bought, but we just couldn't buy anything but a Dodge/Chrysler. I spend so much time in it that I need something with a nice interior.

I would buy an Odyssey, but we live in American-brand-car country, so that couldn't happen. That's the one other van that I think is nice.

We need seating for 7, but if we only needed seating for 5, I would get an SUV in a heartbeat.

We have some friends who got a bit of a lemon of a Honda Pilot. They had to replace the entire transmission at 5 years. It was awful.

We have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan -- i won't say a word about it b/c you already stated you won't buy another one.

Everyone I know who has a Honda Pilot LOVES it!

I would love a mercedes SUV or station wagon (dh just got one) but sadly, the mini-van makes life just TOO easy and the caravan with the stow away features.....well, like I said, it makes life TOO easy, and I do like driving it.

I would buy a used H2 in a heartbeat, but it doesn't seat enough.

I've thought about an Escalade or Suburban.......but I love the way a Mercedes drives.

We've been shopping the past few weeks for a new car and are in a similar boat - we'll have two in large convertible rear facing car seats and one in a large, high back five point harness booster. My dh is very anti minvan so we have been looking at mid-size SUVs. We are almost settled on the Dodge Durango so I'd like to hear your issues with Dodge if you are willing to share. You can pm me if you want.

If you like Buiks then check out the Enclave. It has the option of captains chairs or a bench seat in the second row and it fit all of our carseats. We really like it and it is running a close second in our decision making process. The Durango just seems to have a bit more cargo room. The Ford Flex also fit our seats well.

I know everyone raves about the Honda Pilot but both dh and I found it very uncomfortable. The seats were hard, the head rests were tilted way too far forward, it didn't have the amenities such as rear view cameras that the others have at the same price point, and it didn't engage/respond with more power when accelerating or going uphill until the gas pedal was pushed almost to the floor. It did however offer the most room inside for the carseats and passengers.

We have Highlander hybrid. It doesn't get INREDIBLE mileage (Dh drives a prius and avgs 45, so I'm spoiled a bit) but we get 20-25 mpg. I know they make Highlander with a third seat, but I don't know if they make hybrids with the 3rd seat.

Someone else mentioned station wagons. I had 2 and I LOVED them. One was a Subaru outback, an earlier model when they still looked like station wagons and not mini-SUVs. I LOVED that car. I would say, hands down, that was my favorite car. If they ever come out with a hybrid, I am on that like.....well, as MIL use to say like flies on poop.

I have a full-sized Chevy van. It can seat 7. There are 2 captain chairs in the middle and a bench in the back. It is now 14yo (got it one month before we had our 3rd) and has over 180,000 miles on it. We'll be replacing it with a car next year since we should only have one living at home full-time by that point.

If I had it to do all over again, I'm not sure what I'd do. The van has been great, but it only gets 12 mpg. That wasn't as big of a deal 14 years ago when we got it, but it sure costs a lot to drive now.

It's a behemoth of a van, so it can be quite difficult to park.

We have a 2012 Mazda 5.

I wanted something smaller than our previous minivans. This seats 6, has great mileage, and it's low-priced. The 2 rows of bucket seats in the back each fold down individually. I usually keep 5 seats up and the 6th one down for more storage (but it goes up with just a quick tug in case we have company). Both side doors slide open like a minvan's. We got the base model brand new for less than 20K.

HERE IT IS

We have a 2012 Mazda 5.

I wanted something smaller than our previous minivans. This seats 6, has great mileage, and it's low-priced. The 2 rows of bucket seats in the back each fold down individually. I usually keep 5 seats up and the 6th one down for more storage (but it goes up with just a quick tug in case we have company). Both side doors slide open like a minvan's. We got the base model brand new for less than 20K.

HERE IT IS

I've heard the Mazda 5 backseat is very very small...as in not really fit for an adult. Is that true?

We have a Ford Explorer with the 3rd row. It seats 7.

Then we got 3 foster kids...so we added a GMC Yukon XL. It seats 8 people.

I love my Explorer, but I also love my Yukon!! The Explorer is better on gas, but we have no choice when we all go somewhere and have to take the Yukon! Both are great vehicles, we haven't had any issues with either one. The Explorer is over 7 years old and has over 100,000 miles on it, too.

I have a Toyota Sequoia. We bought it in 2004 and it drives like the day we bought it. It is awesome. I think we are at 120K miles and Dh says we have just broken it in! Unless there is an accident, I don't see us replacing it until the last child is gone. It will be our one and only "Family" vehicle.

I love that the rear/3rd row is split. When we go on longer vacations or camping we take out one side only and it gives us TONS of room for luggage, golf clubs, etc....

:iagree: Same here, except ours is an '03 with 140k miles. We have four kids, and we always have enough room. The Sequoia seats 8, so we can bring a few extra kids with us, when we go somewhere.

And, I'm always happy to share that we get 24 MPG on the freeway. I only get 18-20 in town, though.

The Sequoia also had the best 'behind the third row' capacity of the SUVs we were looking at (Pilot, Expedition, Tahoe)

I've heard the Mazda 5 backseat is very very small...as in not really fit for an adult. Is that true?

My sister drives a 5, and it's her opinion that the backseat is for emergencies only. :D The other thing about the 5 is that the tires are pricey. That's something to consider, if you're looking at long-term costs.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/ is a great website for finding out which makes/models are generally a good deal, and to get the scoop on things like expensive tires.

We have 3 kids: 2 rear-facing and one harnessed booster. We have a Honda Odyssey. What we've done is take out one of the captain's chairs. In the remaining front captain's chair we have the almost 2 year-old rear facing. Directly behind her on the back row we have our almost 4 year-old. Across the bench from her is the infant car seat (so also back row). I like it because I can have them all climb into the car and then buckle them and none of the kids are running around the parking lot. It also feels really spacious. We get about 21/22 mpg.

Edited by MeaganS

We had three kids across the back of a Ford Focus for a while (and still do that when DH takes the three older kids somewhere, because it gets 30 mpg). It was tight, but we made do. It was better than when I had all three of them in our F150 pickup truck, because they actually had more leg room in the Focus, and the Focus has a trunk. (In the truck, I'd have to load bags and groceries under the kids' feet and all; it was a huge pain.)

Baby #4 meant that neither the truck nor the Focus would work as a primary vehicle for me, so I now drive a 2001 Ford Windstar. It's been heavenly. So much room, and it's a pleasure to drive. I nearly cried the first time I loaded it up with a day's worth of stuff plus a big grocery shop, and my children still had plenty of room for comfort and safety. It gets pretty close to 20 mpg, which is better than our truck and not too shabby considering its age and the good deal we got on it.

I did have a Ford Expedition for a while, and I LOVED it so much. We had all three big kids in the middle row, where they had plenty of space because it was so wide, but we had the option to use the third row if need be. (However, with the third row in use, the cargo space was terrible, way worse than the Windstar's.) Unfortunately, its gas mileage was terrible, 12-13 mpg on the highway.

We have a Chevy Traverse and like it. It has 3 rows/7 pass. We do a lot of driving in town and many times my husband sits in the car with it running to keep cool enough so the mileage is between 15-20. Not the best but......

It handles nice and is comfortable.

• 2 months later...
I have a Honda Pilot, and I love it. It holds 8, so Ican haul another mom and her 3. Kids.

Love my Pilot as well. We also have a 2000 Toyota Sienna minivan that I love, even though it is starting to show its age. Before we got the Pilot, we had a 2004 Pontiac Vibe that could hold all 3 kids (2 teens and a preteen) in back for quick trips around town, but we don't have car seats any more. Loved the gas mileage on that thing - 30 miles city.

I don't drive a minivan. I squash all three in the back seat of my Honda Accord V6. And, yes, we even travel long distances in it. (600+ miles one way to my mom's.)

I used car seats without all the fancy added on cup holders, etc., so they were narrower, when I transported my older two and a nephew. By the time the youngest was born, the older two were in boosters, which are generally narrower, so it wasn't a big deal.

Now, my oldest is legal for the front seat (he's not the recommended 12 years, but he easily makes the height and weight suggestions.) 90% of the time, if we are in my car, it's just me and the three kids, so he can ride in the front. My second just got too big for her booster, so that gives her an extra few inches in hip room using just the car's own belts with no added seat.

If we need room for a sixth person, which isn't often, we take our tow vehicle (for our fifth wheel). It's a Ford F-350 crew cab. The kids love to ride in it even though they are still three across, because it's designed to transport 6 grown men, so they aren't squashed at all.

I get great gas mileage, have a car that hugs the road even in snow, and which has extra oomph. Just sayin'. I know a lot of families that say they "need" a minivan, but truly, while minivans make life more comfy, they aren't a necessity.

• 1 month later...

We had 3 in car seats with a Camry and it was miserable. The day my daughter squashed her hand between her carseat and the car door while we squashed them all in, I had enough. We literally had to tip the baby seat over to buckle the child in the middle. I said you're getting me a mini van! We got a used Toyota Sienna and traded it in for our paid off Camry and were blessed to be able to pay the difference with our tax return. We're very happy with it.

Honda Odyssey. Love, love, love it.

When the kids are all out of car seats, I would be open to getting a smaller vehicle, but fitting 3 across in most cars is more painful than I care to bother with. Plus when some of the kids are using boosters, that's even harder with 3-across.

After our garage had a fire (truck self-ignited), we got a new truck to replace the obviously totaled one while we waited for the other vehicles to either be repaired or totaled. For several weeks, I drove the kids around in a Chevy 2500HD with a full cab. That's a pretty wide truck, and car seats very easily fit 3-across. It was still a pain to get the booster child in though. You have to scoot his seat over to get to the seatbelt. So if I have to do 3 across in a car, I prefer either all harnessed carseats or all out of boosters. :tongue_smilie: