Menu

Sunblock Usage...am I just weird?

My boys just had their annual physicals... the two things that came up were vitamin D supplements and sunblock.

My kids are in the sun from 9am-11am, without sunscreen. Three of my children have olive skin (darker), two are lily white. My older two are outside from 7:45 until 11am two days a week.

I watch my lily white children like a hawk, my oldest has the beginnings of a sun tan (which isn't saying much) and my soon-to-be 6yo doesn't look like she has been in the sun at. all. (she also *must* get Vit. D supplementation). If my children are going to be at a day-camp, or other outdoor activities during the day, they wear hats, appropriate clothing and sunblock as needed. Under my watch, they have never had a sunburn (my oldest has, but he was away at boy scout camp and simply didn't use the sun block we sent with him that time...he hasn't forgotten since!). My olive-skinned children develop suntans even with sunblock.

Let me also add, if my two lily white kids had any inkling of pinking up during their exposure to the sun, I wouldn't hesitate to apply sunblock to them... but they aren't.

So if these were your kids, and this is the amount of unprotected sun-time, would you be applying sunscreen at 9am, or would you do what we've been doing these past 3 years and allow them to play in the sun, sunblock-free, knowing they would be back inside by 11am (watching for signs of over-exposure, especially in the very light-skinned ones)?

Thank you.

Edited by LisaK in VA

I think there is a lot of confusion and the advice has changed tremendously in the past few years.

That being said, I behave similarly to you: I emphasize sunscreen for long periods of exposure and midday sun. I think it's good to get some sun exposure. My kids have never had a sunburn or anything close.

At a 3 mo appt for one kid, the doctor was talking to the baby as she examined him and said, "Oh, looks like you've been out in the sun! That's good!" I said nothing. She paused and then said, "Or, um, maybe that's the way you are!" I still find it funny. Btw the baby hadn't been in the sun at all. Btw this doctor encouraged me to supplement myself in winter when exclusively breastfeeding because I wasn't getting sun and neither was the baby.

I always use sunblock on all of my kids if they will be more than, say, 15 or 20 minutes in the sun. One of my children tans readily and the other two burn more easily, but it makes no difference to me - sun exposure can still harm the skin, even if the skin tans more than burns.

My fairer-skinned children (and I) would certainly begin to burn if we regularly spent a few hours in the summer sun without sunscreen. Besides, I'm too lazy to keep trying to gauge if we are burning or not. It's simpler to just lather everyone up when we're heading out for more than a brief bit.

My kids are all extremely pale - 2 blondes and a redhead. Extremely pale skinned. My younger two have never had even a slight burn and don't have any noticeable tan either, my oldest had one mild burn when at her dad's house.

We usually will go to our pool first thing in the morning or late afternoon. If we are back inside by 10/10:30, I usually won't put sunscreen on. When we go after 4pm, I won't put sunscreen on (our pool is pretty much in shade at that point). I will put it on and reapply frequently if they are out in the sun during the middle of the day. They also wear rash guards to swim, hats and sunglasses.

My boys just had their annual physicals... the two things that came up were vitamin D supplements and sunblock.

My kids are in the sun from 9am-11am, without sunscreen. Three of my children have olive skin (darker), two are lily white. My older two are outside from 7:45 until 11am two days a week.

I watch my lily white children like a hawk, my oldest has the beginnings of a sun tan (which isn't saying much) and my soon-to-be 6yo doesn't look like she has been in the sun at. all. (she also *must* get Vit. D supplementation). If my children are going to be at a day-camp, or other outdoor activities during the day, they wear hats, appropriate clothing and sunblock as needed. Under my watch, they have never had a sunburn (my oldest has, but he was away at boy scout camp and simply didn't use the sun block we sent with him that time...he hasn't forgotten since!). My olive-skinned children develop suntans even with sunblock.

Let me also add, if my two lily white kids had any inkling of pinking up during their exposure to the sun, I wouldn't hesitate to apply sunblock to them... but they aren't.

So if these were your kids, and this is the amount of unprotected sun-time, would you be applying sunscreen at 9am, or would you do what we've been doing these past 3 years and allow them to play in the sun, sunblock-free, knowing they would be back inside by 11am (watching for signs of over-exposure, especially in the very light-skinned ones)?

Thank you.

I would do the same thing you are doing. We only use sunblock if we are out mid day, and so far that works fine. If we were getting tan/pink/etc I'd use it.

I am very allergic to sunscreen and I don't let my children wear it very often, only when they are in full exposure for a long time (like at a picnic in the middle of the day)

I let them outside in the mornings before 10 and in the evenings after 6. I worry about more than skin issues. I don't like their eyes to get too much exposure, I don't like them being too dehydrated, or heat stroke.

So, no I don't wear sunscreen and I don't feel bad about it and the longer I live the more I think doctors aren't as knowledgeable as they advertise.

I'm curious about what your doctor had to say about sunblock. I've talked to a few with very different opinions on it.

My youngest is a redhead, so he wears sunscreen no matter what time it is or how long he'll be outside. For the other kids, I do what you do.

This is a whole different take. Depending on your latitude, you can get the vit D you need from the sun, but it needs to be between the hours of 11-2ish; no sunblock; for a relatively short period of time (you might have to work up to it if you're very fair, but for most people, it's not enough to get burned). http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400732/How-Much-Sun-Exposure-for-Vitamin-D.html. There is a map here http://www.skinhealthtech.com/pages/UV-Activated-Sensor-%252d-Optimization-Guide.html

I suspect that our over-emphasis on sunscreen is actually the source of our Vit D deficiency.

We are constantly being told to take this supplement or that supplement and then some years later, research comes out that the supplement actually causes damage of some kind.

I avoid supplements as much as possible and believe in doing everything as naturally as possible and the natural source of Vit D is the sun, not pills. The natural way to keep from getting sunburned is to stay out of the sun (except for your Vit D fix) between 11-3 or to wear clothing that covers you up. I'm not crazy about slathering up with chemicals, so we only use sunscreen when we have to be outside during those peak hours.

Edited by Laurie4b

I'm very fair, and my DH is a redhead. Needless to say, my brother's kids got all the olive in the family, and mine got all the fair. I only use sunblock on them if they'll be out for extended periods of time, or during peak hours. The boys have swim shirts, which rock so much; DD has one but doesn't care for the way it feels when she swims. She burns easily, though, so she wears sunblock even if I don't think the boys need it. Generally, we stay inside between about 10 and 3 and use sunblock on the rare occasions that we need to be out then.

For little ones, I just keep them out of the sun. I'm not a very outdoorsy person, so it's not so tough to do that. My parents watched the older kids at the pool last year so that I could stay inside with the newborn most of the time. I put sunblock on him for the first time last week, when we were at the beach, but I also kept a shirt and hat on him, and we had an umbrella -- no coloring on him at all! (It was one of the organic baby ones, so I felt comfortable with that vs. sunburn.)

I have a pale, freckly, red head but we don't use sunscreen before 10am or after 6pm. She's never been burned (she doesn't tan-it's pale or red) and I am cautious because my mom and I have both had skin cancer. We're in Florida and can get burned quickly. If we're just going for a short walk or playing outside for a half hour or less, I also don't use sunscreen - I think it's good for them, and again, never been burned.

Thank you.

I'm just flabbergasted that this came up. We had physicals last week and they don't come any more lily-white than our family. The doctor never said a word about it.

We stay out of the sun mid-day but go out early and late with no problem and no sunblock. I avoid sunblock and all chemicals where possible, but I will use it rather than get burned. FYI, Badger brand is the safest (health food stores).

DD and I are both very pale. Very, very pale. If you shine a flashlight on us, you may see the light from the other side. :lol:

I only use sunblock if we are out for an extended time, or in the peak hours. Otherwise I just keep an eye on DD. She has had one burn, and that was after a day at the beach and she had been covered with sunscreen multiple times. The best I can figure is the sunscreen must have gone bad somehow?? :001_huh:

I perpetually have low vitamin D because I avoid sunlight, so I know it's important to soak up as much sunlight as I can while I am out there. :D I just finished taking doctor prescribed supplements and promised to go outside more often.

Similar response as others: We only use sunblock for prolonged mid-day sun exposure. No sunblock at all for morning or late afternoon swim practices. And if it's late in the season and they have a base tan, i wouldn't use it during mid-day unless at the beach or if sun was really strong.

my 3 are all pale and blonde. We only occasionally use sunscreen. Generally we come in around 11am for lunch and naps, by the time we get back out it's 3ish and my backyard is super shady in the afternoons. I don't use sunscreen at all in that case. If they're outside for a long time midday for some reason, (beach trip, etc) I use it, but not everyday.

We also supplement Vitamin D, and I have found that DD and I seem to have less of a tendency to burn now that our D levels are higher.

DS got a *terrible* burn just at the beginning of summer. He was at a splash birthday party, and for some insane reason took off his swim shirt. He's very pale because we usually avoid midday sun, and his little shoulders and neck were toasted.

I usually avoid sunscreen too, unless we're going to be out in the midday sun at the pool or zoo. I don't like slathering chemicals onto our skin unless absolutely necessary. Plus, I've been low in Vit. D for about a year and need exposure. I did, however, forget to put some on the top of my ears while visiting the Grand Canyon earlier this year, and practically blistered my ears. OUCH!

I am as pale as they come and so is one of my boys. The other is only slightly less pale, lol. My dermatologist told me I don't even produce enough melanin to make a good freckle. :lol:

What you are describing, the 7:45-11 would be fine with me if they haven't shown sign of burning. I will let the boys go out in the morning without slathering up. Once it hits 10ish I get more cautious. But if I knew they were coming in at 11 I would prob relax.

My boys have each had sunburn on...their ears! and OMG, that totally shut up any argument about sunblock. One little burn and they beg for sunblock!

And I supplement all of us with Vit D and always have. I was always suspicious that the sunblock was a problem. We live in the NE and where we live it is impossible to make any Vit D for a good chunk of the year.

We wear sunblock if we go out in the middle of the day in the car. The car windows do not block the damaging rays of the sun. Especially if I am driving. I don't want my hands to get sun speckled and wrinkled before their time. I take extra care to get the backs of my hands and my forearms and the left side of my face.

A day in the car is the same as a day at the beach.

We don't use much sunscreen anymore, just what I'm led to do after reading. Our exception is our parkday when we are at the nonshady park midday. My DS's eczema is so much better without sunscreen exposure. It is still a battle of keeping his skin itch free but one less thing to bother him, even the "natural" types.

We only use it if we'll be out in swimsuits or out for hours/on the water. And there's an order of priority. I have a "lily white" kid who burns VERY quickly, and the rest of us have olive skin. My pasty girl gets sunscreen slathered all over shoulders/back/neck/face any time she's in a swimsuit, and her face on long times outside. The others only get sunscreen when we go swimming and then just shoulders and face. I do my back and shoulders now that the toddler became water-phobic and I have to hold him just above the water the whole time (learned that the hard way... ow) but for playing outside? Never. Not even for the lily white girl. If we were outside for hours in the afternoon, maybe. On her face. That's it.

I think your sun philosophy makes sense as-is. The sun isn't evil, and it's *good* for everyone to get sun exposure. You just have to be careful of burns or excessive tanning, which you are. I do the same thing. I don't apply sunscreen every time they play outside (goodnight!!). But I am mindful as to who is in the sun and for how long, and how direct the sun is. If it's the baby playing outside who is a blonde little marshmallow and will get fried super easily, I make sure to keep her out of direct sun and only let her play under the shade of a tree when the sun is intense. If it's the older kids, especially my two who are olive skinned, I will let them play if it's not going to be so long they will get burnt. If we go to the beach, or plan on spending the day outside at a picnic, I slather the heck out of them with sunscreen.

You should look up all the links between sun exposure and vitamin D, and mental health to make yourself feel better. Turns out people who don't get enough sun exposure on their skin are more likely to develop depression and other problems!

Being reasonable is key, and I think you are.

I think it is good for the kids to get some sun without sunblock, but I think my kids would get too much sun or burn without sunscreen from 9-11. Especially out in full sun for that period. I'd prefer they have sunscreen from about 9:30am or so until about 5:00pm. I know that seems like a long time, but I think they are getting plenty of sun before (playing outside) and after that (playing outside or at the pool) and not only do they not need more, but they'd probably burn.

But you obviously know what works for your kids and if they aren't burning or getting a dark tan, I guess I wouldn't worry about it.

You're kids don't burn, I think you're doing fine.

there is such a thing as avoiding the sun too much. 1dd got tired of sunblock, and bought lots of sunblocking fabric thingamagigs. then she had her Vit d tested and it was "catastrophically" low (her providers word) and put on 10,000 IUs.

I don't use sunscreen/sunblock on my kids or myself, unless we are going to be in the sun for an inordinately long time.

I believe that it's best to gradually introduce sun exposure depending on each individual's tolerance. Some people may never need sun protection, some may be able to get what they need from well-chosen clothing, and some may need a little or a lot of sunblock. I would not listen to "doctor advice" that is obviously given to everyone routinely without any consideration of individual differences. Honestly, it ticked me off when I was given a "visit summary" with several pages of recommendations that were supposedly discussed with me (not). Stuff like "parents of five-year-olds need to decide if their child is ready for KG" when the visit was for a 1st grade physical.

If they aren't burning I think the sunblock is up to you. I would not, however, assume their vitamin D levels are good just because of sun exposure.

I'd want a test. Many people, maybe most, will be low even with adequate sun.

My boys take d3 supplements.

I'm Irish/German (fair skinned) and DH is Italian. Half my kids are fair and half have his olive complexion. The kiddo with the darkest complexion is the one who had to have a suspicious mole removed for suspected melanoma. It was atypical, dysplastic/ evolving. Go figure - the kid I never suspected would ever have problems with sun exposure is the one with the melanoma risk.

I only put it on the kids if we are swimming or doing an outside activity in the direct sun for more then an hour or two. Normal playing never. That being said, if I am going to be in the sun more then an hour I put sunscreen on me, I burn easily. My 3 are 1/4th Indian (subcontinent) and have never burned, they inherited DH and his Dad's skin, rather then my burn by looking at the sun skin.

Thank you.

I would do exactly as you are currently doing. I tend use 10am as the time after which I have the kids use sunblock, but we're in Australia, and the sun is fierce.

There has recently been advice here suggesting that we should avoid sunscreen in winter to offset increasing problems with Vit D deficiencies.

We only use it if we are going to the pool or going to be out in the mid-day sun for long periods of time. My oldest dd is allergic to most sunscreens, so we limit her. She has an olive complexion and doesn't easily burn. My twins are as pasty as I am, so we are a little more careful with them. We just use common sense/shade/covering up for the most part.

I do put it on if I'm going to be working outside for hours, but mostly because of the extreme sun exposure I got as a child. (Yearly full body purple hued burns) My skin is showing signs of sun damage already and I'm only 36.

I only put it on the kids when we go to the pool at noon or will be out in the sun for prolonged periods of time. Otherwise I don't use it at all.

Me too!

Our ancestors stayed out the sun when it was too hot. I still think sunblock causes skin cancer, either because it's toxic or because we all think we can be out in the sun all the time because we've got sunscreen on.

We only use extended periods in the direct sun. At home they might play outside all day but I notice they will go back and forth to mostly different shady parts. None of them have burned and I think maybe once ds was a bit red. Dd2 is fairly pale but she hasn't even been red. I give d3 as well (or try to remember).

I don't use sunscreen/sunblock on my kids or myself, unless we are going to be in the sun for an inordinately long time.

:iagree:

I believe that it's best to gradually introduce sun exposure depending on each individual's tolerance. Some people may never need sun protection, some may be able to get what they need from well-chosen clothing, and some may need a little or a lot of sunblock. I would not listen to "doctor advice" that is obviously given to everyone routinely without any consideration of individual differences. Honestly, it ticked me off when I was given a "visit summary" with several pages of recommendations that were supposedly discussed with me (not). Stuff like "parents of five-year-olds need to decide if their child is ready for KG" when the visit was for a 1st grade physical.

:iagree:with this too. It makes me crazy to get one size fits all medical cares.

I only apply sunscreen if we'll be out for hours and hours, or if I will be out in the heat of the day (I'm pasty white - I once got a burn from a 10 minute walk across my college campus in the summer). If I'm putting on sunscreen, DD automatically wants to put it on, too, but her skin is nice and olive, and according to the CDC, the rates of skin cancer for Asians is incredibly low. I don't know what the rate is for half-Asians, but I assume that she needs less protection than I do. I think that in most cases she needs the exposure to absorb vitamin D more than she needs the sunburn protection.

Our whole family takes vitamin D supplements, because I know we don't get out in the sun nearly enough. Especially in this summer heat. :svengo:

Dd plays outside at our home all day without sunscreen but we have lots and lots of trees for shade (don't really have a sunny spot where she plays at anytime of day) We do use sunscreen though when we are out at other places especially Grandma's camp ground where dd is in the water most of the time. I burn easy and don't tan, and dh burns but then tans so we are kinda iffy on what dd will do and rather not subject her to the pain :)